As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

QUILTBAG: Hi gay, I’m Dad!

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    What are they having meetings about? Was there not already policy in place for transgender employees?

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    What are they having meetings about? Was there not already policy in place for transgender employees?

I believe the answer is that there is not.

Outside of the mention that is in the boilerplate anti descrimination policy they used in the stock IPO.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Ahh, I see.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Aren’t UK papers publishing corrections all the time because they keep printing lies about trans people?

YL9WnCY.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    They're publishing corrections all the time in general. Every single paper has a bad record on trans people though, even the liberal papers like the Guardian.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I've had my first dose of T.

Where's my beard.

• GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular

Where's my beard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1suhHsuw0bw
    the bird is the T, the dragon is the beard

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular

Where's my beard.

21 year old me was asking that to myself. If I had known some people who take T just become like Chia Pets...

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Where's my beard.

Have you tried the dating thread?

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Hmm, was going to edit that post but apparently I can't.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I might be finally able to get my birth certificate changed thanks to the Republican governore getting kicked out in the 2018 election.

www.santafenewmexican.com/news/legislature/legislative-roundup-feb/article_c5527f0b-768c-5693-93bd-5f40b28d5d43.html
    Transgender vital records: A bill to make it less complicated for transgender people to change the sex designation on their birth certificate cleared the Senate on Tuesday by a vote of 26-13.

The sponsor, Sen. Jacob Candelaria, D-Albuquerque, said SB 20 is of great importance to transgender people. He said they want to identify their gender rather than having an old government record do so.

Republican Sen. Bill Sharer of Farmington led opposition to the bill. One Republican, Sen. Sander Rue of Albuquerque, joined 25 Democrats in voting for the bill. Three other senators were not present for the vote.

Candelaria’s measure would revamp an existing law requiring a person changing sex designation to provide a physician’s statement that a surgical sex-change procedure had been completed. Candelaria’s bill would allow for submission of a statement signed under penalty of perjury.

Members of the House of Representatives will take up the bill next.
    The bill had already passed the New Mexico Congress in 2018 but the governor was a Republican so vetoed it.

• MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    ForceVoid wrote: »

I believe the answer is that there is not.

Outside of the mention that is in the boilerplate anti descrimination policy they used in the stock IPO.

I don’t know where in the country you are, but if you are ever interested in a tech job in the PNW I can help point you places to look at that are better than that by like a bazillion miles. Goes for other rad people in here, too.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    e: didn't mean to offend anyone, was just trying to self-affirm

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    "Remember, it is not always necessary to be something. It is enough simply to be."

Except when simply being hurts because it requires being something that is antithetical to your true self.

Trying to simply be my way out of this almost killed me.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Entaru wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    "Remember, it is not always necessary to be something. It is enough simply to be."

Except when simply being hurts because it requires being something that is antithetical to your true self.

Trying to simply be my way out of this almost killed me.

Sorry that was more thinking out loud and was not directed at you or anybody specific.

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    probably isn't the best thread for that kind of thing

like, nice sentiment, but many of us actively have to try and seek out ways to be who we are on a daily basis in situations that aren't particularly kind to us

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    sorry

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I don't want to dogpile or anything, but I do want to point out that people responding to my struggle to realize my gender identity with "oh, but wouldn't everything be so much better and simpler if we just got rid of all these labels and classifications and boxes and could just exist as we are" is extremely damaging to me (and extremely common among cis ally types, in my experience).

Like, I was born into a sense of agonizing, unbearable wrongness that I had to claw my way out of. Having a way of thinking and categorization which supersedes the circumstances of my birth (in terms of both my own self-perception and the way I am perceived by others) was and is strictly necessary for my survival.

I might talk about this in more detail later if I feel like it; I dunno. It's a pretty complicated and nuanced subject.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • StasisStasis Registered User regular
    I recently got to watch a friend of mine talking about her trans nephew (whom she is currently working on gaining legal guardianship of) behind his back, misgendering him and dismissing his identity as "trendy" while I sat in closeted silence because I didn't want to draw that attention to myself, but saying that he needs to just learn to love himself was the hardest thing to let go.

That's what he's trying to do, but you're telling him "No, not like that."

And the part that makes me feel the worst is knowing I probably would have gone to bat for him a couple years ago when I didn't know I had a personal stake in it, but now it scares me.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    god the whole notion of it being 'trendy' or 'attention seeking' or whatever is such complete bullshit

who would want to go through the shit society and bigots and even legal bodies will put you through just to be trendy

it's utterly asinine

• LabelLabel Registered User regular
    And the 50 year olds who are coming out of the closet and transitioning now, after wanting to their whole lives? I'm sure they're just itching to hop on the latest bandwagon. /s

Asinine bullshit indeed.

• MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    I don't want to dogpile or anything, but I do want to point out that people responding to my struggle to realize my gender identity with "oh, but wouldn't everything be so much better and simpler if we just got rid of all these labels and classifications and boxes and could just exist as we are" is extremely damaging to me (and extremely common among cis ally types, in my experience).

Like, I was born into a sense of agonizing, unbearable wrongness that I had to claw my way out of. Having a way of thinking and categorization which supersedes the circumstances of my birth (in terms of both my own self-perception and the way I am perceived by others) was and is strictly necessary for my survival.

I might talk about this in more detail later if I feel like it; I dunno. It's a pretty complicated and nuanced subject.

Yeah. Language (of which categorization is a part) is important in how we form thoughts. I am a firm believer in some (probably weak) form of the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, and I often describe my self realization and coming out as being about finding the right language to understand my own feelings, experiences, and desires.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

Where's my beard.

i kno right

I gotta say it's been like 6 months and I am not seeing a beard for me so who knows what the expected timeline is there

I did have to, horrifyingly, watch myself on video presenting (I'm being held captive at a 6 day consultant training camp/hazing ritual/corporate indoctrination/I don't even know) and my main conclusion, other than the fact that I am sort of shit at presentations (well I don't know; I'm always fine once I'm in front of a client, but practicing I am always just awful), I can tell that my voice has definitely changed. Not sure I could say it sounds like a man's voice, exactly, but it's really different from my previous voice. So that's kinda interesting.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    It's putting a lot of strain on me how I'm not hearing back from places I tried to contact. There's a voice in my head telling me it might have to do with the fact I used the name "Alice" and people here are culturally stupid about first names and I'm not taken seriously because of it. I also wrote to a Viennese clinic and it's like they have nothing they can show transgender people either.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Hello, thread. My last (and first) post on here was during the Christmas Holiday forum because it would soon be gone and nobody would ever see it again and my anxiety could just about manage that. In it, I had some questions about gender, like What even is it? How do people know which one they are? and Do I have one?

It's over a month later, and I still don't have any good answers. I'm not even sure I know how to formulate the right questions.

Then something happened this week and here I am posting again, now instead of next Christmas as I'd originally planned.

I filled in two surveys. One was for a videogame whose creators wanted some feedback and one was of a more professional/personal nature.

The videogame one gave the me option of Male, Female, and Non-Binary. And for the first time in my life I went with Non-Binary. I had to think about that one for a while. Didn't feel... exactly right. Like I hadn't earned it. Like I'm not really non-binary. I'm not even exactly sure what that is. It's just a phase.

Anyway, a couple of days later, I filled in the professional/personal survey. That one only had the traditional two options and I had to pick one. I got real upset about that one. In the very recent past, I would've just clicked the one assigned to me at birth and not bother about it, but this time I actually got angry. I resented the fact I only got to choose out of those two. I eventually picked the one I've always picked in the past, but I was very unhappy about it.

So. Yeah. That happened.

In the days following that little event I've been rather obsessively going over my life and high-lighting all the bits that could possibly suggest that, gosh, maybe I'm not quite that cis after all.

So I'm non-binary. I guess. Trans? Well, I wouldn't go that far. I'm anxious enough about being where I am right now, and I'm not even really sure where that is.

But hey, if I do turn out to be trans, at least I know what my new name is going to be. I decided on my (purely hypothetical, of course) new name about fifteen years ago.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I personally consider non-binary people to be under the trans umbrella unless an individual insists otherwise

it's not really co-opting anything because we're already having different conversations about trans men, trans women, trans folk who are also people of color, etc.

and, yeah, that feeling of being an imposter is just something you have to charge through - you owe nobody proof of authenticity

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Doobh wrote: »
    I personally consider non-binary people to be under the trans umbrella unless an individual insists otherwise

it's not really co-opting anything because we're already having different conversations about trans men, trans women, trans folk who are also people of color, etc.

Yeah, I know. It's just that my current vocabulary isn't quite up to the task of exactly expressing my muddled haze of confusion and this is about the best I can do right now.

WotanAnubis on
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Your post helped me @WotanAnubis

I also struggle with my own identity in a way that I think allows me to relate to your post deeply.

Thanks.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Yeah, I know. It's just that my current vocabulary isn't quite up to the task of exactly expressing my muddled haze of confusion and this is about the best I can do right now.

Extremely valid.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

If it’s any reassurance to you and others who might see this post... finding the right vocabulary is a huge component in journeys such as this one, and it’s not even specific to gender identity. It’s wholly human. Self-actualization, self-affirmation. That stuff.

I’ll use a basic example from mental health. Alexithymia is a clinical term for when someone does not have the vocabulary necessary to identify, distinguish or name emotional experiences in accordance with their developmental stage... and by extension, makes it hard for someone to relate to the emotional experiences of others. It’s also not a disease or condition or symptom or anything... it’s just a word we use to describe this scenario.

Kids learn their emotional vocabulary as they grow up, but in their younger years they will often talk about anxiety in really somatic/physical ways... like their tummy hurting. It doesn’t get spotted as being anxiety until the kid figures out other ways to articulate how they feel. We won’t usually say that a kid has alexithymia, though, because up to a point that’s fairly typical. For older adolescents and the youth population? Definitely more common, but less noticeable still.

Alexithymia is NOT on its own diagnostic nor symptomatic of an underlying developmental or mental health problem. It’s more useful as a way to understand the environment in which someone grew up and as a way to know that this person just needs a slightly different style of engagement. A family that doesn’t talk about feelings, isn’t emotionally self-aware, or actively discouraged taking about feelings will basically remove one of the main ways kids learn the language of emotions, for example. So, even though the vocabulary certainly exists in society and language, if you’re not exposed to it, you don’t learn how to use it.

The effects of alexithymia on an adult would be reasonably easy to infer from there.

There are therapies that don’t require folks to talk about their feelings, but therapists in these areas are much reduced. So, often, the first step is to find a way to teach them the language. The number of young people (late teens into early twenties) I’ve worked with who need this help is staggering, but then you get this moment when it all CLICKS and suddenly, all the stuff that just lives up in their heads can now be sorted, distilled, and PROCESSED. It’s awesome, but it can be accompanied by the sadness that this couldn’t have happened for them earlier.

But this type of thing is super common in almost all other aspects of life. It’s kinda like how you can’t bake a good cake if you don’t know what terms like whip, fold, stir, weigh, roll, or knead mean... or in extreme cases, not even knowing what the ingredients are! What do in those cases?

Well, nowadays there’s the internet. You can look up any terms you don’t understand, find videos that differentiate between folding and whipping and stirring, and even just learn what certain components of certain recipes do! So good! So helpful!

The thing is - baking as a metaphor is tricky because it’s voluntary. You don’t gotta learn how to bake and your experience of the world or your own sense of self is not likely to be impacted by it. You also know what you need to look up!

But what if you don’t? What if you don’t quite know what you’re looking for? What if that not knowing twists in your gut and just gives you this general sense of unease, but you can’t find quite name what is driving that? And what if choosing not to explore it further makes you feel WORSE, somehow?

What if, when you try to cobble together words that roughly approximate your experience, people slap labels on it that don’t QUITE fit, but you go with it anyway because they’re the expert, they’d know? And then what happens when you’re engaging in this treatment for a while but it’s not quite working... what then? What might someone in that position feel about themselves?

That’s essentially what happens with alexithymia. For folks who experience emotions very physically but can’t articulae those emotions, they might get all kinds of medical checks for stomach aches and other aches and pains, be told nothing is medically wrong, and then just feel like shit cuz they’re being told they’re physically fine. Teenagers who can’t articulate their feelings and thus haven’t learned how to process them generally engage in behaviour that then doesn’t make sense to the adults in their lives, and so they are eventually labeled as bad kids.

Bringing this back to the point... please don’t ever be hard on yourselves for not knowing the language of it. I mention alexithymia because it’s common and functions in a similar capacity - people often feel like they SHOULD have the words, and having the words would be so helpful, except there are often extremely understandable reasons as to why they don’t already have them and it’s not their fault. The vocabulary around gender SHOULD be something we can all talk about openly and learn as we grow up, similar to many other essential forms of verbal communication, but that’s a work in progress.

I have no idea if this post was helpful, but I thought some folks might be reassured that you’re not broken or co-opting or stupid if you don’t know how to articulate what’s going on for you. None of us do until we figure out that something’s even *going on* in the first place, after which communities like this are fabulous for helping you learn that language and, in turn, better understand what’s going on and what you feel would be helpful to do next.

I mean this forum basically handed me the words I needed to talk about my sexuality and I felt rotten that I had to learn it that way in the first place... which is dumb, but hey, brains gotta brain.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Unrelated: when I get asked if I have a wife (I am a cis gay dude who people often assume is straight, I also wear a wedding band) and I correct them, I’m usually secretly delighted

It leaves them sputtering and gives me a huge conversational advantage

There’s a significant range of responses but it’s generally impossible for them to recover

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Unrelated: when I get asked if I have a wife (I am a cis gay dude who people often assume is straight, I also wear a wedding band) and I correct them, I’m usually secretly delighted

There’s a significant range of responses but it’s generally impossible for them to recover

Related: Is it weird that I miss the days when I lived in the midwest and when I told people I was gay they were fucking shocked? I do miss that, oddly. Just a tiny bit. Something about it was so entertaining.

Now nobody blinks an eye.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Related: Is it weird that I miss the days when I lived in the midwest and when I told people I was gay they were fucking shocked? I do miss that, oddly. Just a tiny bit. Something about it was so entertaining.

Now nobody blinks an eye.

No, actually! Not weird at all. It's reasonably well-documented that we become accustomed to having certain unexpected things associated with events!

In your example, people being shocked would generally be considered a negative thing by most people. In your case, it sounds like maybe you were better able to cope with or at least minimise the harm of that reaction by associating it with a more empowering interpretation... such as entertainment. It doesn't fully divorce the negativity in their reaction, but it puts a slightly positive spin on it to ease the blow. It's a protective thing that our brains all do in a variety of situations, with most associations usually determined by a person's personality, temperament, context, etc. It's part of where things like nuance come from... such as why people outside of some specific groups simply won't GET all the layers of the experience, because they will not have these subtle but important associations there.

It's one thing, after all, to hear the story of a person being shocked on learning someone is gay. It's another to BE the person in that story, and only other people who experience that similar story in a similar way with a similar enough temperament will fully get the GIST of it.

So when your societal context moves on from those (awful, shitty) moments, it would absolutely seem weird to miss them, because it's supposed to be good that those days aren't so common anymore! But you will also, naturally, miss it. Maybe you miss being entertained by the experience. Maybe you miss being able to find that empowering moment in that experience. Maybe you miss the response that marked you as a member of a certain type of community. Maybe you were so accustomed to the pattern of the exchange that now it just feels WEIRD that the script has changed. It's a hallmark of adjustment, and it's one of the things we don't notice we've been used to until it's suddenly no longer there.

I'm not sure you were actually wanting an answer to your question, but I thought I'd offer one just in case you did!

Vivixenne on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Viv I love your posts

edited February 2019
    Viv I love your posts

oh gosh :eek:

:redface: thanks, I was actually worried it would come off a bit strong on the know-it-all side of things

hi and :heartbeat: and grats on the T!

Vivixenne on
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Nah it's great to see a well reasoned and supportive and thoughtful post. You're a good human. All of y'all are!

<3

Partner weekend is going great. So many smooches. So much food. So much coffee.
    Also the three of us kick ass at overcooked 2

• PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »

Where's my beard.

i kno right

I gotta say it's been like 6 months and I am not seeing a beard for me so who knows what the expected timeline is there

I did have to, horrifyingly, watch myself on video presenting (I'm being held captive at a 6 day consultant training camp/hazing ritual/corporate indoctrination/I don't even know) and my main conclusion, other than the fact that I am sort of shit at presentations (well I don't know; I'm always fine once I'm in front of a client, but practicing I am always just awful), I can tell that my voice has definitely changed. Not sure I could say it sounds like a man's voice, exactly, but it's really different from my previous voice. So that's kinda interesting.

On the beard thing, my facial hair took a couple years(more? it was a long time ago so my memory is hazy) to fully grow in when I first went through puberty. It started with light peach fuzz that gradually became thicker and darker over time. So yeah anyways don't expect results over night but one day you'll wake up and be like, "grumble grumble gotta shaaaaave grumble harumph".

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Poketpixie wrote: »

Where's my beard.

i kno right

On the beard thing, my facial hair took a couple years(more? it was a long time ago so my memory is hazy) to fully grow in when I first went through puberty. It started with light peach fuzz that gradually became thicker and darker over time. So yeah anyways don't expect results over night but one day you'll wake up and be like, "grumble grumble gotta shaaaaave grumble harumph".

Yeah mine took until I was in my early 20s. Now I have to shave daily or I get a real big bushy beard! Which is a bad look with my uh... Current aesthetic considerations

Erin The Red on
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

Where's my beard.

i kno right

I have to shave every few days but the facial hair that's growing is localized and scattered. Hassle but no rewards at all ;_;

voice situation is what I should probably focus on the most at this point in my life, just trying to talk a bit differently and figuring out what intonations I use can be modulated without losing my sense of who I am and how I talk.

Steam, LoL: credeiki

Where's my beard.

i kno right

I have to shave every few days but the facial hair that's growing is localized and scattered. Hassle but no rewards at all ;_;

voice situation is what I should probably focus on the most at this point in my life, just trying to talk a bit differently and figuring out what intonations I use can be modulated without losing my sense of who I am and how I talk.

I think regular shaving will encourage it to grow more? Or is that bullshit I was fed at some point?

Anyway yeah the patchy period isn't much fun, I'm sorry duder. Hopefully in time you will have the level of face fur that you seek!

This discussion has been closed.