As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] April showers bring May Birthdays

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Voidship first impressions:

There are a bunch of interesting systems:
    You build your ship with resources one block at a time
    You can fly RTS or manual. Unfortunately manual rotates the background which I find ... discomforting. So I'm using RTS
    There are star systems that take years to fly between in that time your crew ages
    Inside sytems there are sectors, which each can have an event.

My main gripes are that there are a lot of repeat events, and that fights mostly seem to be pretty lightshows until 1 ship runs out of hp. The only tactic I have is circle strafing.
    Going to give it a bit more time over the weekend, see if it manages to diversify a bit.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Anyone have a rough estimate of time for CrossCode completion? Trying to plan out stuff to buy for this sale to celebrate a newer year, though really it's probably just the same year with a new paint of coat.

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=24970

My own time ended up being like 56 hours or so. I did like 99% of the side content and I'm a relatively slow placed player as well. So probably less than that for most.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Jazz wrote: »
    Which also shows if Epic have any certification or testing procedures. Guess not!

I mean, the problem didn't show up until you reached the area where the sound effect was needed, so even if you started up the game and played for a bit to check if it was working you might not encounter it. Expecting a storefront to test if a game starts and runs is one thing, expecting them to play everything from start to finish before allowing it to release is another.

The certification system for consoles is incredibly strict, Nintendo especially. I've read all sorts of stories from game developers about how nerve wracking it is to submit your build and have it be rejected for some minor issue, so it's definitely not outside the realm of industry possibility. Obviously I don't expect a PC storefront to test each game to completion due to volume alone, but it's definitely something a developer should be doing.

If you're a game developer and you're wildly pulling files from your game before putting it on a storefront and you don't even bother to test it that seems exceptionally lazy. HLTB says it's a 10 hour game with a 2.5h speedrun, so the guy who developed the game and knows it inside out could probably blaze through it in an afternoon.
    Look, I also had faith that Trump wouldn't win in 2016 and that Kavanaugh wouldn't be confirmed for SCOTUS.

I'm an eternally disappointed optimist.... :lol:

I have faith that some day we can all collectively decide to leave politics out of the Steam thread.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Anytime I see the "best of whatever" awards, I'm reminded just how much out of the general gaming loop I am.

Like, Skyrim? GTA? Witcher? AC? Ugh....no thanks. Where is Slay the Spire or Mark of the Ninja: Remastered?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    You can call developers a lot of things, but no working developer who has brought a game to market is lazy, full stop. The amount of hard work and thankless effort it takes to release a game is unfathomable to anyone who hasn't actually done it. The dev clearly made a careless mistake and there are dozens of reasons it might have happened, but I absolutely promise you that laziness isn't one of them and I wish "gamers" would excise that baseless criticism from all discussions. And also stop complaining about politics in games, but that's also probably too optimistic.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    You can call developers a lot of things, but no working developer who has brought a game to market is lazy, full stop.

Digital Homicide :P

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I gush about The Messenger, but the one gripe I have with that game is political in a sense, in that the creators, through the marketing and the game's uneasy sense of humor, showcase an inferiority complex that is typically french-canadian; said complex being the result of a long history of disdain if not outright oppression.

Definitely something to explore further, but since we long for a thread without politics, alas.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    You can call developers a lot of things, but no working developer who has brought a game to market is lazy, full stop.

I haven't heard of them, but looking at their dev history I'm assuming they're basically a "churn out shit and hope something hits" type studio. Which yeah, I guess I should amend that to "no working developer who has put out a game you would consider good or at least not an obvious cash grab".

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I feel like asset flippers aren't actual devs, but then that starts getting into "no true Scotsman" territory.

I also feel, though, that we as the consumer can generally tell when effort and intent has gone into a project, and I respect all of those folks, from Valdis Story and Bleed to Assassin's Creed and Skyrim. For all the shit we can give AAA devs and/or indies, you can actually tell when someone really just wanted to make a game versus when someone hoped to crank out slapped together assets with little to no effort invested.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I'm still not convinced that asset swaps are an actual issue, as much as a one man crusade from someone who found a convenient strawman

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

I haven't heard of them, but looking at their dev history I'm assuming they're basically a "churn out shit and hope something hits" type studio. Which yeah, I guess I should amend that to "no working developer who has put out a game you would consider good or at least not an obvious cash grab".

They are, but they are also particularly infamous for believing they aren't, to the point of even having sued Jim Sterling with the assertion that his videos cost them their sales.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    So, this just happened.
    n4chidnmneux.png

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Anyone have a rough estimate of time for CrossCode completion? Trying to plan out stuff to buy for this sale to celebrate a newer year, though really it's probably just the same year with a new paint of coat.

Never knew about this site. I was curious and threw in Assassins Creed Odyssey and wtf, leisurely time is 46 hours? Took me double that, and I was making sure I kept my gear up to par with my level.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I mean I want to complain about it taking so long, but I'm getting a free $60 game so I really can't.

Mostly I'm just curious to see how it runs on my new GPU compared to the absolute voodoo magic level of performance I was getting via their streaming service.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

Never knew about this site. I was curious and threw in Assassins Creed Odyssey and wtf, leisurely time is 46 hours? Took me double that, and I was making sure I kept my gear up to par with my level.

Did you just do the main story, or did you do more? I mean, the different categories of "Main Story + Extras" and "Completionist" are there for a reason. The average completionist run is 113 hours, for example.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    3clipse wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Which also shows if Epic have any certification or testing procedures. Guess not!

To be fair, Steam's just amount to "does the .exe actually run." It's one of the biggest areas in which Steam drops the ball.

Especially with old to ancient games. Steam does (or certainly did) tend to put them up with a "figure out for yourself how to run this thing" attitude. Which is why I admit I prefer to go to GOG for games of a certain age. They don't always get it spot on, but they have a very good strike rate.

Jazz on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

Did you just do the main story, or did you do more? I mean, the different categories of "Main Story + Extras" and "Completionist" are there for a reason. The average completionist run is 113 hours, for example.

All 3 main stories at the same time, roughly 80 hours. I took a lot of time taking down side missions, forts and such, but you can't avoid that because you need the xp to level and gold to keep your gear going. I wasn't even max level when I finished it.

36 hours to complete the stories only feels doable if you're using those xp and gold boosters.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    I'm still not convinced that asset swaps are an actual issue, as much as a one man crusade from someone who found a convenient strawman

They were definitely a thing (I dunno anymore) but I think they have the same problem everyone is having on Steam now where there's just too much stuff for anything to get seen.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    So, this just happened.

Hey, nice to get an update. More news by Feb 25th? Cool.

I was asking myself "will it require me to redownload" but then I remembered.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »

My own time ended up being like 56 hours or so. I did like 99% of the side content and I'm a relatively slow placed player as well. So probably less than that for most.

took me about 22ish.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    I gush about The Messenger, but the one gripe I have with that game is political in a sense, in that the creators, through the marketing and the game's uneasy sense of humor, showcase an inferiority complex that is typically french-canadian; said complex being the result of a long history of disdain if not outright oppression.

Definitely something to explore further, but since we long for a thread without politics, alas.

what do you mean by this...at all? We can avoid politics, but I'm curious as to what you mean.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    They shouldn't have given me a camera in My Time At Portia.
    l2mAwBe.jpg

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Is that the Spiderman cancer meme?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I don't know what that is I just like watching Arlo sleep.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Had a fun FNG playing Dead By Daylight tonight though the numbers was sadly a little lacking. Still, @Pimsy @Ghlinn and I did an admirable job fixing up generators and eluding the killer--Ghlinn even managed to survive once! :biggrin:

Reminder that tomorrow night is Long Campaign of Division continued and Sunday is Astroneer.

Also beat Accounting+! It was quite fun but really short. There is apparently a bunch of stuff I missed but it clocked in at just 37 minutes.

Thanks again to @Spoit for the gift!

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    So, this just happened.
    n4chidnmneux.png

Curse you, US only freebies!
    I need to start on Sunless Skies anyway, though.

• Options
    GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Had a fun FNG playing Dead By Daylight tonight though the numbers was sadly a little lacking. Still, @Pimsy @Ghlinn and I did an admirable job fixing up generators and eluding the killer--Ghlinn even managed to survive once! :biggrin:

Reminder that tomorrow night is Long Campaign of Division continued and Sunday is Astroneer.

Not my fault that you both left me on the hook and ran out the exit! I was somewhat remembering how to play after a little while so that was good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Ghlinn wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »
    Had a fun FNG playing Dead By Daylight tonight though the numbers was sadly a little lacking. Still, Pimsy Ghlinn and I did an admirable job fixing up generators and eluding the killer--Ghlinn even managed to survive once! :biggrin:

Not my fault that you both left me on the hook and ran out the exit! I was somewhat remembering how to play after a little while so that was good.

*the kindness of strangers gets Karoz off the hook*

*sees Ghlinn hanging far away*

*books it to the exit*

Friendship!

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Dac Vin wrote: »

what do you mean by this...at all? We can avoid politics, but I'm curious as to what you mean.

Currently on it. It's an unusual subject to write about so it'll take a while, but hopefully the end result is good. For a taste, I thought the 16-bit parts would have been an amazing twist... if they weren't shown on the store page.

(Don't worry about the politics comment, I was just ribbing Stacks.)

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

I mean they're an issue insofar as they make up a large chunk of the worthless garbage that has made it impossible to browse steam and find interesting games.

Also if you're talking about who I think you're talking about, I think you're being unfair given that a) he never focused on asset flips, they were just part of his coverage of the bad parts of gaming and b) an asset flipper tried to sue him for 15 million dollars (unsuccessfully, but it took a long time for the case to finally be dismissed with prejudice). Not really a strawman when an asset flipper is actively trying to ruin your life.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

I mean they're an issue insofar as they make up a large chunk of the worthless garbage that has made it impossible to browse steam and find interesting games.

Also if you're talking about who I think you're talking about, I think you're being unfair given that a) he never focused on asset flips, they were just part of his coverage of the bad parts of gaming and b) an asset flipper tried to sue him for 15 million dollars (unsuccessfully, but it took a long time for the case to finally be dismissed with prejudice). Not really a strawman when an asset flipper is actively trying to ruin your life.

But I thought this whole discussion was started by people saying that steam changed their algorithm so that you were only shown AAA games now?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

But I thought this whole discussion was started by people saying that steam changed their algorithm so that you were only shown AAA games now?

If steam did change something they did a piss poor job of it because my feed is still cluttered with nonsense.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I watched most of Markiplier's Subnautica videos and while his shtick doesn't hold up well, it did present the game fairly decently (over its development). So I think I'll try and get it before the sale ends. I'd actually rather get Two Point Hospital, bit the sale isn't good enough at the moment.

Subnautica: Just the right sort of game for a minor bathophobe.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Finish Steamworld Heist. Crew saved the galaxy in cunning, fearless style.

That's a fun game. Pretty much perfect length. Glad I grabbed the DLC before starting the game, Fen was part of my main squad.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Oh shit! Jane hats!

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I don't think there has been or will be a time where a developer with robust knowledge of that show hasn't tried to get that hat in.

Maybe the mud song.

Incidentally, the entire guild wars prestige achievement tree is take from ron burgundy quotes.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    They are pretty upfront with taking heavy inspiration from Firefly.

i1hoa3jmck34.jpg

I even have it in a very special category.
    haimkcv2iu21.png

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Oh shit! Jane hats!

I don't get it. :(

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    MNC Dover wrote: »