As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Workshop now included.

• madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    soylenth wrote: »
    I still like doing a side-stepping dance and plinking her to death with head shots from a distance. Kind of risky if they keep cool under pressure but satisfying when it works. I find a lot of dps underestimate the power of the pistol ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMYo2BlePZI

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Yes, good. GOOD!

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Countersniping a window with 2 consecutive icicle headshots is an unrivaled, ecstatic experience. I beat her at her own game!

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    :%s/window/widow/

... where did the edit button go?

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho

it's currently broken, Tube is investigating.

I did find that, yes. The issue is in capable hands

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I wouldn't trade killing an ult-ing Genji as Mercy for the world.

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »

it's currently broken, Tube is investigating.

God bless Tube.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Mercy buff: She only needs the staff in both hands to switch targets. Otherwise, she one-hands the staff and can pistol away.

Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Mercy buff: She only needs the staff in both hands to switch targets. Otherwise, she one-hands the staff and can pistol away.

This would completely change how Mercy is played at every level and I love it.

I want to purge my captures folder but today's discussion has me looking at the Mercy clips I've saved and seeing what I've got to work with. There are 40, and some are pretty not-bad.

Also makes me wanna' play more Mercy. It's amazing how few games I've saved on her lately.

• ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    I don't think it would be too bad Vs. Ham (it could save your team from a single boop or piledriver, but wouldn't help much Vs. mines really), but you're right about Doomfist. Like a D.Va bomb or Pulse, the timing to counter it would be almost-impossible to mess up.

Also, literally every heal in the game that's not Ana's nade or Brig's repair is heal-over-time.

One thing that I feel is lacking in the support category, I think, is a cleanser/debuffer. I mean, Zen is obviously a debuffer, but the fact that Zarya, a tank, is the only hero in the game with a cleanse that can be applied to allies seems weird to me. I feel like a support should be able to save an ally from like a Junk trap or whatever - that's a niche I think needs to be filled.

My brain immediately went to discord priest for WoW. It was a trickier heal to play (at least last time I played) because you had to both heal injured people AND pre-heal for big damage bursts. And your preheal bubble didn’t stack so you had to spread it out to get the most out of it.

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
    edited February 2019
    I don't think it would be too bad Vs. Ham (it could save your team from a single boop or piledriver, but wouldn't help much Vs. mines really), but you're right about Doomfist. Like a D.Va bomb or Pulse, the timing to counter it would be almost-impossible to mess up.

Also, literally every heal in the game that's not Ana's nade or Brig's repair is heal-over-time.

One thing that I feel is lacking in the support category, I think, is a cleanser/debuffer. I mean, Zen is obviously a debuffer, but the fact that Zarya, a tank, is the only hero in the game with a cleanse that can be applied to allies seems weird to me. I feel like a support should be able to save an ally from like a Junk trap or whatever - that's a niche I think needs to be filled.

My brain immediately went to discord priest for WoW. It was a trickier heal to play (at least last time I played) because you had to both heal injured people AND pre-heal for big damage bursts. And your preheal bubble didn’t stack so you had to spread it out to get the most out of it.

I don't think these mechanics existed when I played WoW. Back then you were either a heal priest or a DoT and mind flay priest. Last week I got curious about the Panda race so I was lookin' at Wikis and I opened a skill calculator and it was like "I have no idea what I'm even looking at." I don't think I could even make my Rogue build any more >.<

Also
    Whoahwhoahwhoah. You can't take away the blaster.

I repeat, do not take away my blaster.

https://youtu.be/abKY_LbcCaQ

Chance on
  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

This would completely change how Mercy is played at every level and I love it.

I think that would instantly change her from the lowest skill ceiling hero to one of the highest. Therefore, it has my vote because it would be hella cool.

• MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Personally I'd just love a main tank with a weak self heal. Something like Huskar in DotA, where the self heal gets stronger the lower they are on health, possibly with an increasing damage resistance OR armour as their last hp rather than their first? Maybe that would be insanity in the current meta, but I just want another fun main tank, and one that you can run with triple dps/Zen/Lucio because....yeah. Because.

Because 'self-healing MT' is really the last niche I need filled to be a happy little main tank forever and ever.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Main tanks already have crazy survivability without self-heal abilities

edit: autocorrect no

joshofalltrades on
    The problem with a self-healing MT is what'll happen when you combine them with, oh, say, a healer or two.

Also I was thinkin' last night - what about a change to Mercy's melee?

I was imagining a swipe of the staff that is aimed like a Rein swing, with an arc similar to Brig's standard flail swing, doing 60 damage per second, but here's the neat part:

If properly aimed it can deal headshots, and its use does not interrupt her current beam.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Maybe only can be healed by one source? The MMO solution is greater damage spikes that the tank can't mitigate solo, or cooldowns. I'd be leery of the balance. Hog has the self heal / damage mitigation and he's very powerful as is without having shielding or mobility.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Hog isn't a main tank though, he's off-tank at best and he's about as selfish as you can go with a tank

Like I want everybody to think about Reinhardt with a heal ability getting backed up by Mercy and if you're not sweating then I just don't know

I want to purge my captures folder but today's discussion has me looking at the Mercy clips I've saved and seeing what I've got to work with. There are 40, and some are pretty not-bad.

Also makes me wanna' play more Mercy. It's amazing how few games I've saved on her lately.

I over-did it with her early on in the game because I seemed to be the only one who wanted to heal in matches, so I kind of burned out on her. But I've been getting the urge to play her more recently.

• MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    Hog isn't a main tank though, he's off-tank at best and he's about as selfish as you can go with a tank

Like I want everybody to think about Reinhardt with a heal ability getting backed up by Mercy and if you're not sweating then I just don't know

And a Winston with Reinhardt's hammer and shield would be pretty terrifying, but you don't design a new hero by just adding something to an already-balanced old hero.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Mercy is a great way to practice positioning and defensive movement. Constantly stay moving, constantly keep your mind on escape routes and corners to hide behind, everyone's gunning for you so you can't get lazy,

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    If I'm on widow one of my favorite things are mercies who think it's safe to just stand still with a blue/yellow beam on someone on the back lines. My basic philosophy is just to always keep these feet dancing, even during lulls. get sniped enough times and eventually you want to stop making it easy ...

Kana wrote: »
    Mercy is a great way to practice positioning and defensive movement. Constantly stay moving, constantly keep your mind on escape routes and corners to hide behind, everyone's gunning for you so you can't get lazy,

also get your bonus jump down pat. Pressing jump when close to your guardian angel target will give you extra speed and launch you past them, which is excellent for moving between cover points:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVHYgQ1x840

edited February 2019
    soylenth wrote: »

I over-did it with her early on in the game because I seemed to be the only one who wanted to heal in matches, so I kind of burned out on her. But I've been getting the urge to play her more recently.

I went Mercy early days because the reality was I was terrible at any hero that required shooting mans. It took me a long, long time to get any confidence on other heroes.

Nowadays playin' a Mercy game is like... okay so my team and I are in a car, right? And the carry or tank is at the wheel, some other tryhard is dealing with the music in the shotgun, and I'm just chillin' in the backseat lookin' out the window. Like, we're all in this together, but I'm more just along for the ride, y'know? No pressure.

I definitely understand the Mercy Burnout though. Or any support, I expect. You can only watch your DPS trickle in to 1v6 for so long before you start to wonder if you might be doing better if you swapped to the blaster.

Edit: @madparrot I like that that vid shows that distance flown is immaterial to the bonus distance. You can travel like 20 yards off an ally 10 yards from you. Heck you can do the crouch+GA+high bounce off someone 5 feet away.

Chance on
    I’ve had games with Widow where I didn’t get gold anything but still felt like I contributed

Taking a Mercy out right before a team fight is basically “there you go guys, we win”

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    talking of glock

https://clips.twitch.tv/HorribleGoodCocoaGingerPower

a friend who usually plays widow having entirely too much fun on mercy

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    Musicool wrote: »

And a Winston with Reinhardt's hammer and shield would be pretty terrifying, but you don't design a new hero by just adding something to an already-balanced old hero.

Well, no. It's all in the preparation. You start with Reinhardt, but overcook it a bit so it shrinks. Now we need about a tablespoon of Ana - need that burst heal - and once that's in we can add a dash of Winston. Not too much! Just a good reach on a nice AoE cleave, lets say 70dps. Finally, you'll want a sprig of McCree right at the end to brighten it up, and to finish on the plate just the tiniest sprinkling of Lucio.

Et viola. Brigitte.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »

Well, no. It's all in the preparation. You start with Reinhardt, but overcook it a bit so it shrinks. Now we need about a tablespoon of Ana - need that burst heal - and once that's in we can add a dash of Winston. Not too much! Just a good reach on a nice AoE cleave, lets say 70dps. Finally, you'll want a sprig of McCree right at the end to brighten it up, and to finish on the plate just the tiniest sprinkling of Lucio.

Et viola. Brigitte.

Just don’t add any salt during preparation, that will come naturally during play.

edited February 2019
    Stayed in a lobby with some level 10 - literally level 10 - smurf on the enemy team for 4 excruciating games. Teabags after every kill, insane aim and tracking.

Won 1 game against them, I think, but it was brutal and they got a ridiculous 4-5k potg every. Single. Game.

I don't mind being beaten so bad but idk why some superplayers need to be dicks about it. Next game they're on my team.

I'm not playin' with this asshole. I open the menu to quit.

They lock Tracer. Oh my fucking God. To the bitter end.

Edit: @Musicool re: The Hammond Discussion, met one on the enemy team tonight that actually made me crack open the messenger to GG and compliment 'em. Absolutely nuts about being in the right place at the right time with that 50 damage, landing shots with the guns, good melees. Slams weren't awesome, but they were great about chasing me down.

Got 'em again in the next game and focused them, and we had some amazing duels. Never fought a Ham like that ever before, it was super cool.

Chance on
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I've been getting paired with a few more noticable smurfs and a lot more gold portrait (lvl 1400+) as well.

steam_sig.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    im pretty sure hammond is busted but hes got a weirdly high skill cap

hes incredibly abusable in so many ways especially with coordination

obF2Wuw.png
    I think it’s really hard for some people to wrap their heads around the fact that he shouldn’t be played like D.Va with a grappling hook.

I think it’s really hard for some people to wrap their heads around the fact that he shouldn’t be played like D.Va with a grappling hook.

Imo he's more like Genji or Tracer. He gets in with a burst of damage you didn't expect, either gets the pick or just pulls aggro and bails out. He's not a tank in the same way any other tank is.

I did have a Ham do a cool teamsaving thing a little bit ago. We're on the last teamfight on Gibraltar attack. I kill the Sombra, kill the Mei and put a clip into the Moira. Moira fades towards and through me and pops her ult, I blink backwards, 180, put a second clip into her and finish with a melee and then you hear the enemy Bastion coming out of spawn - "doot do do doot do dooooot!"

Our Ham doesn't hesitate - he jams on his shields and shoves himself into the doorway, body blocking the Bastion and just letting him unload those tank shells into him for the entire ult.

It was lovely. We won.

edited February 2019
    Ham is the distraction-iest of the distraction characters. Winston is kind of that way too, but he’s great for cleanup in a way that Ham isn’t, and Ham has much better escape options. IMO they both have high skill floors to be played well but Ham’s is higher, no contest.

And if you don’t let yourself get distracted by a good Ham, he’s going to knock your people out of position. So he kind of demands focus.

joshofalltrades on
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Been having more games wherein someone on my team would solo ult someone on the other team and it was almost invariably followed by "nice solo ult lawl." Usually said by a salty Genji who now has to wait.

I'd much rather my teammates successfully solo ult someone than never use it, or fail at a team kill. Especially on defense.

steam_sig.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah, I guess here's my case that Hammond is actually a pretty good main tank (unless they've got a lot of cc)

The way Overwatch fights tend to go is an initiation phase, where the vast majority of abilities get used right away. You've then got like the main fight period, where folks are in the shit, and skills are still on CD.

This is one of the reasons why Winston's bubble is such a powerful initiation tool - it doesn't just block damage, it blocks abilities. A lot of healing abilities get blocked, damage abilties get burned on the barrier instead of on enemies, and it can even force heroes to use their mobility CDs just to re-position to a place where they can respond more effectively to the initiation. Even though the bubble may only last a couple of seconds, that can actually create a strong starting advantage for the Winston's team, ideally they can follow in Winston's disruption of cooldowns with their own abilities mostly still up, using their own mobility to focus down a vulnerable enemy and winning the fight.

Hammond actually does pretty much exactly this too. But instead of using a bubble to disrupt and cost the enemy team cooldowns, Hammond directly disrupts the enemy formation. Instead of a larger bubble, he has his personal shield, which doesn't feed ult charge, so enemies burning cooldowns on damaging a Hammond are basically doing the same thing as just spamming shots into Winston's bubble. And Hammond's strong knockback and knockup forces the enemy to use their mobility just to re-group, leaving them at a disadvantage when they finally start fighting the rest of Hammond's team. Hammond's damage acts a bit different than Winston's - higher single target burst with longer reload, versus Winston's cleave effect - but the damage still acts similarly - "Hey, if you don't expend resources to drive me off I'm going to kill a squishy for free."

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Yeah there are definitely situations in which getting a 100% confirmed kill on a key target is absolutely worth it, although if I were the target I'd probably throw a little salt their way too.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Been having more games wherein someone on my team would solo ult someone on the other team and it was almost invariably followed by "nice solo ult lawl." Usually said by a salty Genji who now has to wait.

I'd much rather my teammates successfully solo ult someone than never use it, or fail at a team kill. Especially on defense.

It depends on the ult, but, for the most part, yeah. You don’t usually want to toss out an earthshatter or graviton against a single enemy, but it’s a reasonable choice for nearly every DPS ult.

This discussion has been closed.