As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resident Evil HD REmake and Resident Evil: Zero HD released, REmake 2 announced!

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    My thoughts on RE2 after finishing with Claire:
    First off, fantastic game from start to finish. Maybe it's just the old gamer in me, but I do miss area-to-area style gameplay that RE1-3 was centered around. Having options of which rooms to explore gave some personal freedom, while still steering players in a certain direction. Then again, I really don't like open-world, do whatever you want games, so I'm probably in the minority here.

Some of the things I really appreciated in the game were:
    • The blue/red highlights in a room. Saves a lot of pointless searching.
    • The threat of enemy zombies in the early going. There was a lot of extra ammo and healing later though, but the front half was rough.
    • Mr X. I have a love/hate relationship with him. As soon as that fucker appeared, I ran all the way back the the Chief's desk and waited. The worst part wasn't the chasing, but those fucking footsteps power walking through the hallways. Made every door opening a nightmare.
    • When Birkin killed Mr. X! I actually cheered.
    • Having a second path for a different experience. Always liked the A/B scenarios in the first game and glad to see they dropped the item sharing between paths for the remake.
    • The expanding inventory space was great. Felt like it was spaced out nicely in time with a new weapon discovery, so you could carry another weapon with ammo.
    • I didn't mind not being able to drop or swap items, although I can see how that would bother some people.
    • The overall length of the game felt good. Around the lab it was starting to wear a bit thin, and then things ended. Of course, I spent a lot of time wandering the RPD so that's probably a bit more on me.
    • Thumbs up on modernizing Claire's attire to something more practical. Although she did look like grimy, beat-up Lara Croft after losing the jacket.

Some things that bothered me:
    • My PC had some framerate issues in the police station, especially in the main hallway area. Like it got to be a slideshow. Not sure if that's my videocard (probably) or just too much texture/lighting shit in one area. Maybe both?
    • Why do I have to "quit" to the title screen, then go into the menu to exit? That seems like an oversight.
    • Why was there no way back to the Control Room in the sewers? It was the room you start in after waking up. I made a quick look around the room and accidentally hopped down. There should have been a ladder nearby to get you back up there. That area (and it's items) were forever lost to me.
    • Maybe change the Mission Objective in the first Birkin fight from "Find a way out" to "Defeat the monster". Cause lord knows I searched high and low for a ladder or an escape route before looking up what to do.
    • What was the point of the Club doors? I never found a key and accessed the rooms via other methods. I'm assuming it's a Leon thing.
    • Why were there a few spots you couldn't reach like the Boiler Room, which again I'm assuming was a Leon path. Maybe just black out the names so I don't spend hours trying to figure out how to get to them. :)

BTW, am I looking too deeply into it, or are the locker codes Easter eggs? Spoilered for codes:
    CAP = Capcom
    DCM = Devil May Cry (wrong order, but same letters which falls in line with...)
    SZF = Street Fighter Zero (Alpha in USA)

Club door areas are exclusive to leon . Heart is Claire’s equivalents.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    You can get back up to the control room, but it requires going the way you came, descending back into that particular part of the sewer and looping back around the same way you did the first time.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    You can get back up to the control room, but it requires going the way you came, descending back into that particular part of the sewer and looping back around the same way you did the first time.

Oops! I meant the Office in the sewers. Fixed! :)

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    My thoughts on RE2 after finishing with Claire:
    First off, fantastic game from start to finish. Maybe it's just the old gamer in me, but I do miss area-to-area style gameplay that RE1-3 was centered around. Having options of which rooms to explore gave some personal freedom, while still steering players in a certain direction. Then again, I really don't like open-world, do whatever you want games, so I'm probably in the minority here.

Some of the things I really appreciated in the game were:
    • The blue/red highlights in a room. Saves a lot of pointless searching.
    • The threat of enemy zombies in the early going. There was a lot of extra ammo and healing later though, but the front half was rough.
    • Mr X. I have a love/hate relationship with him. As soon as that fucker appeared, I ran all the way back the the Chief's desk and waited. The worst part wasn't the chasing, but those fucking footsteps power walking through the hallways. Made every door opening a nightmare.
    • When Birkin killed Mr. X! I actually cheered.
    • Having a second path for a different experience. Always liked the A/B scenarios in the first game and glad to see they dropped the item sharing between paths for the remake.
    • The expanding inventory space was great. Felt like it was spaced out nicely in time with a new weapon discovery, so you could carry another weapon with ammo.
    • I didn't mind not being able to drop or swap items, although I can see how that would bother some people.
    • The overall length of the game felt good. Around the lab it was starting to wear a bit thin, and then things ended. Of course, I spent a lot of time wandering the RPD so that's probably a bit more on me.
    • Thumbs up on modernizing Claire's attire to something more practical. Although she did look like grimy, beat-up Lara Croft after losing the jacket.

Some things that bothered me:
    • My PC had some framerate issues in the police station, especially in the main hallway area. Like it got to be a slideshow. Not sure if that's my videocard (probably) or just too much texture/lighting shit in one area. Maybe both?
    • Why do I have to "quit" to the title screen, then go into the menu to exit? That seems like an oversight.
    • Why was there no way back to the Control Room the Office in the sewers? It was the room you start in after waking up. I made a quick look around the room and accidentally hopped down. There should have been a ladder nearby to get you back up there. That area (and it's items) were forever lost to me.
    • Maybe change the Mission Objective in the first Birkin fight from "Find a way out" to "Defeat the monster". Cause lord knows I searched high and low for a ladder or an escape route before looking up what to do.
    • What was the point of the Club doors? I never found a key and accessed the rooms via other methods. I'm assuming it's a Leon thing.
    • Why were there a few spots you couldn't reach like the Boiler Room, which again I'm assuming was a Leon path. Maybe just black out the names so I don't spend hours trying to figure out how to get to them. :)

BTW, am I looking too deeply into it, or are the locker codes Easter eggs? Spoilered for codes:
    CAP = Capcom
    DCM = Devil May Cry (wrong order, but same letters which falls in line with...)
    SZF = Street Fighter Zero (Alpha in USA)
    Club doors are for Leon. Claire gets the Heart key, Leon gets the Club key. There are certain parts of the RPD that are exclusive to either of them.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    God I hate G1 Birkin.
    Every strat I find says to just slash him with the knife, let him grab you, slash him with another knife, repeat.
    Even on console fps, three knives should be enough, right? I practised until I was managing it every time, then reset so I could delay saving until I reach the sewers.
    Yeah, he pummelled me with a pipe. Then did it again before I could heal.

I am going to get this. Then I am going to take particular pleasure in blowing up every single enemy with a rocket launcher.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    The main hall in the RPD is a system killer, for sure. My system dips in FPS in there but keeps a steady 60 everywhere else.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Leon B was definitely the toughest boss in the game.

Speaking of, I'm at the Processing Room (chainsaw) fight in RE7, and yeesh. Is there a gimmick, or do I just keep at it?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Speaking of, I'm at the Processing Room (chainsaw) fight in RE7, and yeesh. Is there a gimmick, or do I just keep at it?

Ugh that fight was the worst. It's the main reason why I haven't played through it again.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular

There’s a thing you should grab in that room.

Also, this is one of the best boss fight in RE.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Yeah, I have the thing, but it's still taking forever.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

Yeah, I have the thing, but it's still taking forever.

Keep at it. Remember, he’s trap in that room with YOU.

• Options
    That title screen opening to RE7 is really, really cool. Short, but cool. Lot of striking imagery.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular

Alternatively, it’s one of the worst boss fights I’ve encountered in any game.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    It’s not particularly difficult, it’s just that your movement feels sluggish (to me at least). If we are talking RE7. Kind of confused on which game since two were mentioned.

Fawst on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    It’s not particularly difficult, it’s just that your movement feels sluggish (to me at least). If we are talking RE7. Kind of confused on which game since two were mentioned.

Oh. Yeah. I was thinking of the chainsaw fight in RE7. I'm cool with the bosses in RE2Make.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    klemming wrote: »
    God I hate G1 Birkin.
    Every strat I find says to just slash him with the knife, let him grab you, slash him with another knife, repeat.
    Even on console fps, three knives should be enough, right? I practised until I was managing it every time, then reset so I could delay saving until I reach the sewers.
    Yeah, he pummelled me with a pipe. Then did it again before I could heal.

I am going to get this. Then I am going to take particular pleasure in blowing up every single enemy with a rocket launcher.

I did it on Hardcore in Claire B with a single knife and 2 - 3 grenades. He actually gave me me a lot more difficult with guns. I just ran back whenever he started to move and grenaded him back to the ground then slash slash slash.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The movement in RE7 is sluggish generally, I think for VR purposes. It works for that game, I don't think it would be quite as scary if you were as zippy as Leon or Claire.

• Options
    PhazonRebornPhazonReborn Registered User regular
    Does anyone else love (and also despise) the G Mutant Adult enemies they added for the sewer sections?

The biggest bane to my speedrun attempts are these things.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I only dislike them on the way to the storage room, since you have to pass by them at least twice, and you can only do the 'shoot them and dodge while they're waking up' once. Getting through them on the way back always seems like a crapshoot.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    They are basically walls and I do not enjoy them.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »
    I only dislike them on the way to the storage room, since you have to pass by them at least twice, and you can only do the 'shoot them and dodge while they're waking up' once. Getting through them on the way back always seems like a crapshoot.

I agree. That's basically my problem. I also hate that room because it's disgusting and creepy.
    They are basically walls and I do not enjoy them.

I have not found a fool-proof way to avoid getting grabbed. Even when I think I'm far enough away...I still get grabbed and barfed on. I basically waste a knife or flashbang every time I try to get through there.

Still, even those these guys are horrible, they are at least more threatening than the spiders from the OG

• Options
    There should be rats right? Rats are oddly absent from the outbreak they caused

• Options

Visible from the video tape at least, similar to the cut scene from the original game where they were seen ingesting the T-virus

But if you mean mutated rats? Major missed opportunity!

• Options

Visible from the video tape at least, similar to the cut scene from the original game where they were seen ingesting the T-virus

But if you mean mutated rats? Major missed opportunity!

Yeah I mean we missed a perfect opportunity to have a zombie Ratking boss

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Royal rat umbrella agents ?

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Streamed more RE1 remaster with @wafflesmagee tonight and we made really good progress, but also encountered hunters for the first time and holy shit these are terrifying.

• Options
    I got out of that damn house, finally. I can definitely see why that's considered the best part of the game, nothing's felt as terrifying as that first sequence of events. Even that first VHS type had things straight out of The Blair Witch Project(victim facing the corner).

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    The guy who does those Leon A runthroughs has quit his job to be a full time streamer

For real? Bold move. I hope it works out for him.

Probably... should have waited and seen if he retains a sizable portion of that audience for another game before doing that...

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    He beat the Leon A world record yesterday, so he got a solid bump from that, and immediately started practicing on Claire A, so he seems pretty comnitted.

• Options
    Dac wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    The guy who does those Leon A runthroughs has quit his job to be a full time streamer

For real? Bold move. I hope it works out for him.

Probably... should have waited and seen if he retains a sizable portion of that audience for another game before doing that...

Sometimes you gotta just jump in.

• Options
    Hardcore Leon A S+ attempt:
    I'm in second section of the lab, 1:37 on the timer, and my last save was near the start of the sewers.
    My last run died when I got swarmed by Ivys, so this time I'm going to burn every last one.
    I am tense. Probably more tense than when I was playing the first time and didn't know what I was up against.
    I just need to reach pre-G3 so I can let myself save.
    I skipped the magnum, so G3 is going to be interesting. Hopefully the mass of gunpowder will give me enough shotgun shells and regular bullets to put it down. I've been hoarding grenades, so Super X should be easy enough.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I'm in second section of the lab, 1:37 on the timer, and my last save was near the start of the sewers.
    My last run died when I got swarmed by Ivys, so this time I'm going to burn every last one.
    I am tense. Probably more tense than when I was playing the first time and didn't know what I was up against.
    I skipped the magnum, so G3 is going to be interesting. Hopefully the mass of gunpowder will give me enough shotgun shells and regular bullets to put it down. I've been hoarding grenades, so Super X should be easy enough.

You have got tons of time.
    Since you don’t have the magnum you must have lots of Shotgun Shells from all the yellow gunpowder. Did you grab the extra Flame Fuel from the cafeteria and the regulator from the nap room?

Depending on how many knives and flash grenade you have I might save flame fuel for G3 and burn the eye heart. Or if you have the infinite knife use that from behind him and in between his back arms when he’s down. There 200 Flame Fuel in the G3 arena to pick up also.

• Options
    Stagger + knife from behind is a HUGE ammo/time-saver on G3, and if you’re saving right beforehand you can get some good practice in

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I think all those tips and unique mechanics are pretty sweet and add depth.

Except for knife damage being tied to FPS. GTFO of here with that, Capcom, that's stupid.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Viskod wrote: »

You have got tons of time.
    Since you don’t have the magnum you must have lots of Shotgun Shells from all the yellow gunpowder. Did you grab the extra Flame Fuel from the cafeteria and the regulator from the nap room?

Depending on how many knives and flash grenade you have I might save flame fuel for G3 and burn the eye heart. Or if you have the infinite knife use that from behind him and in between his back arms when he’s down. There 200 Flame Fuel in the G3 arena to pick up also.

Saved.
    Used up all but 40 ammo burning the Ivys, so I think that's it for ol'flamey.
    I was actually doing better on time than I thought (don't know where I pulled that number from), so I'm about to face G3 with 1:39 on the timer, a luxurious 12 inventory slots, and:
    1 Infinite combat knife
    1 Fully tricked out shotgun with 48 spare shells
    1 Matilda with 50 spare bullets
    1 RGB Herb
    1 Health Spray (no point in wasting another RGB, the defence buff will either last the whole fight or I'll die anyway)
    1 Staff wristband (which thinking about it, I can store and pull back out after the fight, right?)
    1 Empty space that contained the save tape.

I'm thinking jam the two empty spaces with flash/regular grenades and prayer.

If this all goes pear-shaped repeatedly, I guess I could reload the sewer save and just hit the RPD for the magnum.
    I skipped the entire quest so I'd have to run back and forth like a loon, but as you said I should have the time.
    But that all comes after I've played some nice relaxing Mario to calm down.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Dac wrote: »
    I think all those tips and unique mechanics are pretty sweet and add depth.

Except for knife damage being tied to FPS. GTFO of here with that, Capcom, that's stupid.

I doubt it was intentional, but as this point it would be way worse for them to fix it.

Javen on
  • Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Does using the infinite knife negate an S+?

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Don't forget to grab the 200 Flame Fuel after G3 from the combat arena so you can use that on the 3 iyvs you run past on your way out.

• Options

Nope; any other infinite does though

• Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

Nope; any other infinite does though

Well, I would classify that as a “game changer”

This discussion has been closed.