As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Blood Bowl] Triple Skulls Every Time

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    4th game of the season. Against Orcs with bolgroth and his chainsaw.

Was expecting to have a few players maimed, but only 5 badly hurts, one to the chainsaw early on and 3 in one turn at the beginning of the second half and one later on.

All in all it went really well, 4:1 in the end. Ork player had some rotten dice in the first half, couldn't pick up the ball for two turns for example, despite sure hands. Ag5 catcher ran up the pitch and scored turn 4.
    Orks made it within one field of the endzone turn 7, but Elfball happened and 2:0 turn 8, same catcher again.
    Elves on offense in the second half and rush into the other half, 3:0 turn 11, again the catcher.
    Orks made it within one field of the endzone turn 1, but Elfball happenedrookie blitzer scores 4:0 after long pass by lineelf in turn 16.
    On their last turn the Orks manage a Gobbo throw ott for the 4:1.

We played with special play cards (no more than card from each deck).
    Next time no misc mayhem maybe. He had sprint and frenzy for his team for a turn. I had assassination attempt, which is a really frustrating card, and it certainly helped that one of his blitzers had to miss the game. I guess the elven union has some dark elf assassins on call.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    This thread has been pretty dead, but I think I'll post anyway because NEW BLOOD BOWL EDITION!

A good chunk of the rulebook has been leaked and the major changes seem to be:

AG has been split into Agility and Passing as a new attribute. Most players except throwers seem to be a bit worse now at passing.

AG, PA, and AV attributes are now notated like in AoS or 40k, meaning the attribute directly shows the dice roll you need and has the most common +1 modificator you get for most actions baked in. For example a gutter runner with AG4 is now AG2+. A bit of streamlining.

Fumbles are only on natural 1s now though. modified 1s are wildly inaccurate instead, the ball deviates like a kick off.

Player costs adjusted, now 5k increments.

Passing skills like safe throw and accurate have been split into versions for short and long range. new passing skills like contunue moving after a quick pass and another to drop the ball before a move or blitz action without a turnover.

New mutation Iron skin, cancels claw.

secondary skills now cost 40k. You can randomly roll for a new skill instead of choosing one and it then only costs half, so a normal random skill is 10k, a secondary random is 20k. +1 AV is 10k, +1 MV and PA are 20k.

There's a new rule to discourage time play. When a player with the ball can make a touchdown without making any dice rolls and they don't, there's a chance that the crowd throws a rock.

Kick of table changed. Weather change on 8, brilliant coaching on 7. Perfect defence, Quick Snap, Blitz now only 3+d3 players. pitch invasion is roll off, loser's team d3 players affected. Throw a rock replaced with Officious Ref: roll off, loser has a random player send of on a 1, stunned on a 2+.

Casualty table now d16, 1-6 BH, 15-16 dead, serious injury is a second roll to determine the modified attribute.

New box with Imperials vs some kind of Orks, box has big guys and at least also Griff. Coach models, too, maybe. Imperials seem to be a variant human team with a new positional, Bodyguard. Ork team a mix of stunties and larger greenskins.

honovere on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Adding a fifth stat seems weird and unnecessary to me but the rest of the changes seem pretty on point. How they rebalance the league progression to account for the extra characteristic; more levels better.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    The changes to passing and the time play rule seem to encourage a bit more movement on the field maybe.

With fumbles happening only on a natural 1 it means that a skeleton with a PA6+ can throw a ball 13 squares while standing in several tackle zones 5 out of 6 times while only have it deviate d6 squares.

On the other hand throwers get much more important for passing plays as everyone else seems kinda bad at it now. Of the teams in the leaks for example a skaven thrower has PA2+ (note: the quick pass +1 is already included, short passes are -1, long -2, bomb -3), a Skaven Blitzer only PA5+.

Some players can't throw at all, like Zombies, they have PA-, meaning they automatically fumble.

Edit:
    another change: Several skills now have a value next to them in brackets, allowing them to have differnet values for different players. For example on a goblin team the Troll is Loner (3+), while a Ratogre on the Skaven Team is Loner (4+).

Pro now works on a 3+

Bombs now explode on a 4+ if caught. With the change to fumbles bombardiers seem much better now.

honovere on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Where is this info coming from?
    I just installed BB2 on steam so a new box edition sounds potentially dangerous for my wallet

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=31512

There is an imgur folder with lots of pics of the rulebook in english, french, and german

Apparently BB3 will come out at roughly the same time and using the same rulesset, probably.

The grognards are already out in full force, in the league I take part in, too. "GW is revamping the rules, again!?, So soon?!" (Never mind that the rules aren't that different except for the passing attribute and that the 2016 rules are basically the same as they've been since at least LRB5 in 2006) "They will throw balance out of the window!" (Because teams in Bloodbowl are so well balanced, They certainly don't use huge adjustments for pretty much every turnament), etc. etc.

honovere on
  • Options
    I just hope they don’t invalidate my collection of special play cards…

• Options
    edited August 2020
    That part is a legitimate concern, I think. GW likes to invalidate stuff like that to sell it a second tme. I don't think the rule changes are big enough to completely scrap them, but some would probably need an FAQ.

Thinking about some tactic changes that might come from this my Elven Union catchers are probably nerfed a bit, they were pretty good at the passing game before with their speed and nerves of steel.
    Dark Elf runners probably like some of those new passing skills. Pro on a 3+ might make Vamps a bit less frustrating to play.

honovere on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Splitting passing from dodging is an obviously good move. It will allow a far greater design space for teams without making things more complicated.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Also streamlining the attributes and the modifiers for actions a bit is a better late than never change. I was always puzzled why almost every action started with first looking up a table to convert you attribute into a dice roll and then immediately add a modifier to that. pick up a ball? +1. Catch a pass? +1. Dodge? +1. etc.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Also streamlining the attributes and the modifiers for actions a bit is a better late than never change. I was always puzzled why almost every action started with first looking up a table to convert you attribute into a dice roll and then immediately add a modifier to that. pick up a ball? +1. Catch a pass? +1. Dodge? +1. etc.

Yeah, that was always weird. But there are a few actions that require an unmodified Ag roll… I suppose they’d now be at -1 instead.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Yeah, that was always weird. But there are a few actions that require an unmodified Ag roll… I suppose they’d now be at -1 instead.

Indeed. Passing for example is now 0/-1/-2/-3 instead of +1/0/-1/-2.

speaking of AG tests, throw team mate seems to changed a bit. Only the landing part has been leaked but there are modifiers for several throwing results: superb: no modifier, succesful: -1, terrible: -2.
    Also you can knock down several players with throw team mate if the thrown player continues to bounce into occupied squares. And you can thow a player that was already prone or stunned, they always crash land though, but together with the bouncing, that seems like a fun idea to just continuously throw runts at cages with ogres.

honovere on
  • Options
    I wonder if any Big Guys will end up with better Passing than Agility to facilitate runt-lobbing? Especially Star Players like Ripper Bolgrot who was supposedly originally ‘recruited’ for his accuracy with a thrown rock.

• Options
    Of the leaked teams so far it's either the same or they can't pass at all like the rat ogre. Could be interesting though

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Consider me cautiously optimistic. I guess I'm 20% grognard.
    I understand the people worried about the changes. I mean you invest time and money into something, you have a right to be passionate about it. I look forward to the passing changes and I'm all for things to stop stalling. I would regularly surprise people when I didn't stall with my Dwarf team, I just never found it fun.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Being cautious is fine, but I've already seen so many kneejerk reactions to any changes as if blood bowl in its current state was some kind of ideal state, totally balanced and perfect.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I think a lot of it is that GW abandoned it for so long, it had become a concrete set of rules with very minor tweaks for 2 decades. In that time people can get very set in their ways.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I think a lot of it is that GW abandoned it for so long, it had become a concrete set of rules with very minor tweaks for 2 decades. In that time people can get very set in their ways.

I still have my binder with my living rule book printed out.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Passing being a separate stat is apparently similar to an older version of BB that I'm not familiar with. Kind of neat just as a point of interest.

It also gives me hope for my Tomb Kings. If passing is a separate stat from Ag, could that mean.... Thro-Ras... could potentially throw the ball?

Chills! I get chills, I tell you!

Edit: Looking through the known changes, they all range from interesting to exciting for me. Slot me in at "cautiously optimistic" leaning towards just genuinely optimistic. This is coming off my mixed feelings towards the latest Spike's changes and additions, so there is that. If this had been leaked after, say, the Halfling Spike, I'd be pumped.

Edit the Second: I guess I would be worried that, if they retrofit older teams to have different Passing ability for the different positionals, in such a way that it makes Passing different in a relevant way to Agility, you risk making the teams less flexible in their strategies. Flexibility is really important for teams like, say, Humans, so making them more strict in what each player can pull off could be pretty harmful.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    And the first WarCom article is up

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/08/03/blood-bowl-new-season-sighted/

Lots of character in those sculpts.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Love those sculpts except for one thing... It always drives me nuts when they sculpt a ball onto a player. There's gonna be like six balls on the field, which only works when playing chaos ball!

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I’m really getting into the way separate Pa and Ag drastically alters team development over a League; elves (and Skaven) are considered horrible teams to play against because they start out strong in one area and the relatively easily get vastly better at it by adding Ag boosts as this helps with: picking up the ball, passing the ball, getting into position to catch the ball, and actually catching the ball, all on one stat.
    Bashy teams though, need St and Av or St and Ag to get sorted, plus they still need someone to actually carry the ball.
    Splitting dodging and passing forces high agility speed teams to actually make decisions about a given player’s role when they roll a stat boost and that can only be a good thing imho.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    I just hope that with the new pass stat I actually have a reason to pick up an ork thrower . He always felt like the weakest link if you actually carried the ball with him.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Love those sculpts except for one thing... It always drives me nuts when they sculpt a ball onto a player. There's gonna be like six balls on the field, which only works when playing chaos ball!

I got the Lizardman team just to paint {my brother did loudly complain about how the wood elf team was new and continue to grumble to this day about it}
    But I thought it neat only the chameleon was the only one sculpted with a ball

• Options
    edited August 2020
    The new On The Ball skill seems pretty nice. It combines kick off return with pass block but doesn't have the limitations pass block has that you have to end up in either a tackle zone of the passer, the target or in a interception position. You can just move three squares to wherever you want everytime your opponent attempts a pass. It's also a passing skill and the other twwo skills are gone from general skills.

Shadowing gets way worse. Currently with the same MV on both players it works 58% of the time. The new version is D6+MV(shadower)-MV(dodger)=6+(natural 6 always works) reduces that to 16%.

Safe throw, now Safe Pass gets worse, too: the Intercept protection is split off into its own skill, cloufburster, and only works on log passes and long bombs. And with fumbles only happening on natural ones it doesn't seem all that good anymore.

Accurate being split into to skills for the two short ranges and the two long ranges also gets a hefty nerf.

It seems like now there are twelve skills for every category leaked so far, so I'm expected two new skills for each AG and ST.

honovere on
  • Options
    And the new orcs. Goblins and black orc team? Interesting if so.
    gwe0pwpzj30u.jpg

• Options
    Iiiiinteresting. I wonder if/how Goblin Bruisers differ in any meaningful way from plain Gobbos.

• Options
    And the new orcs. Goblins and black orc team? Interesting if so.
    gwe0pwpzj30u.jpg

That just seems like lizardmen with more steps.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Leaked roster is up:
    jbo2c5i7p5mq.jpg

Goblin bruisers get thick skull! And their troll is buffed for sure.

Edit: Either Black Orcs are very unusual, or it looks like team special rules might be more common in the new edition.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Every leaked roster so far has had a “special rules” line. The Halfling Master Chef even refers to one of the special rules the halfling team gets when it says they get a reduced price.

Edit: also does anyone else feel like the Dwarf Death-Roller should be errata’d to have the Sporting Giant skill? Sorry, just a random thought I had; it’s kinda silly that it takes up only one space IMHO, plus not having a tackle zone to the rear would make sense given it’s nature and construction.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    Also: Different target values for Loner? I wonder if Old World Alliance was balanced with this in mind.

• Options
    Leaked roster is up:
    jbo2c5i7p5mq.jpg

Goblin bruisers get thick skull! And their troll is buffed for sure.

Edit: Either Black Orcs are very unusual, or it looks like team special rules might be more common in the new edition.

I bet they get the cheaper bribes. And brawler is probably a new strength skill to bring those up to 12, too.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Humans and Human Nobility leaked, poor quality photo incoming:
    lw8l4ubgz7f51.jpg

Humans finally get Halfling access, which makes the whole team more interesting. Nobility looks similar to the semi-official Bretonnian roster that has been kicking around.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Where are these coming from btw?

Edit: damn, those teams are gonna play completely differently and I can’t decide which I like more. Running Pass on a starting thrower? Blitzers with Catch? But throwable teammates…

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    The black orc roster I got off of the fb group, the human rosters came from reddit. Not sure where they're getting any of it.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I just tried to pull the data out of the blur; please tell me if this looks right for the human team:
    Qty Position Cost MA ST AG PA AV Skills & Traits Primary Secondary
    0-12 Human Linemen 50,000 6 3 3+ 4+ 9+ None G AS
    0-2 Throwers 80,000 6 3 3+ 2+ 9+ Pass, Sure Hands GP AS
    0-4 Catchers 65,000 8 2 3+ 5+ 8+ Catch, Dodge AG SP
    0-4 Blitzers 80,000 7 3 3+ 4+ 9+ Block GS AP
    0-3 Halfling Hopefuls 30,000 5 2 3+ 4+ 7+ Dodge, Right Stuff, Stunty A GS
    0-1 Ogre 140,000 5 5 4+ 5+ 10+ Bone Head, Loner (4+), Mighty Blow (+1), Thick Skull, Throw Team-mate S AG
    Corrected based on the clearer image found by @Alistair Hutton

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    Missing the AV, but yeah that looks pretty accurate. Not sure on the MA of the Human thrower.

Since Black Orcs on the Black Orc team don't have a special title (like Goblin Bruiser), I wonder if their skills are going to transfer into the standard Orc roster.

• Options
    Missing the AV, but yeah that looks pretty accurate. Not sure on the MA of the Human thrower.

Since Black Orcs on the Black Orc team don't have a special title (like Goblin Bruiser), I wonder if their skills are going to transfer into the standard Orc roster.

Would be nice , could also be used to address the complaint that ork players are underpriced by giving them some starting skills and jacking up the price. Using unskilled BOBs always makes me brace myself for nuffle inevitable fucking.

• Options

Put the AV column back in. Somehow accidentally deleted it from my spreadsheet… and yeah, the MA for the thrower is not clear; its either 6 or 8 and I can see 8 Making him worth the 80k easy but then I think the AV would have to drop which doesn’t match what I think I see at all. Eh, we’ll find out eventually.

As for the Blorcs, yeah, that’d be cool. Standard O&G teams need something more than a basic beatstick in that position and Grab really sells that.

Also, I was re-reading the Skill rules and it looks like there’s a new action in town; seems like it may be possible for unskilled players to jump over Prone players while moving without the Leap skill. Check out the description of Very Long Legs.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    The Human Thrower getting 2+ Pass is the key change.

That's giving him Agility 4 for the job of passing the god damn ball in old money.

That opens up the Human Team from the get go and makes it far more viable to take a Catcher in your starting roster - especially with the drop in catcher price. To me it looks like the Catcher is only 60,000 not 65k.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.