As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Games you never finished

KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
This is the thread for the old games you bought and never finished.

We will try to find out it they were actually good or not.

Here is a game that I never finished. It was called Legendary. It was a first person shooter about a burglar that stole and opened Pandora's Box.

https://youtu.be/0WTFKBL5Pt8

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Rise of the Tomb Raider. I dunno why. It was fine, but we were coming off of Horizon Zero Dawn, and it didn't feel nearly as good to move around. Story was good, it was pretty, and it worked fine, but I just couldn't care much and we quit after the river scene.

Oh brilliant
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Rise of the Tomb Raider is a pretty tight game, but I still haven't finished it either.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    All of them. I'm horrible at finishing games. I did finish Mario Odyssey and Old School Musical recently but I've got a backlog that's terrible but yet I keep going back to things like Binding of Isaac or Hot Shots Golf which don't really end.

I never got all the moons in Odyssey. I beat Bowser though.

Mario games have that thing where you beat the bad guy and then THE REAL GAME starts.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Stop judging my Steam library.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    “Major” games that I never completed:

Castlevania (never could get past Death)
    Ocarina of Time
    Final Fantasy VIII & IX
    Mass Effect 3

• PhazonRebornPhazonReborn Registered User regular
    Too many to name really. 30+ years of complete and utter ADHD

Recent ones: Red Dead Redemption 2, God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn

I finished Mass Effect 1, but not 2 or 3.

I like how 2 shakes things up by flat out killing you at the beginning.

I did every side quest in Mass Effect 1. Big mistake.

Now, I lost the save game to it.

• PhazonRebornPhazonReborn Registered User regular
    You should go back and try to finish Mass Effect 2 if you have time.

I think it's the best in the series but a lot of people disagree.

I just really liked the character stories, and the overall "feel" of the game was dark sci-fi.

Too bad that the 3rd game really failed to capitalize on the potential 2 started.

I am installing ME2 through Origin.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The main downside is that ME2 has some of its best content in the DLC (though not as badly as ME3 does...) and the DLC is still expensive, rarely on sale and not in any kind of GOTY or trilogy pack.

But ME2 is still my goto example about rhythm in a game. It has this "TV season" going on, where each mission is a reasonable time, maybe 25mins to 45mins, achieves something in the plot or learning about one of the side characters, they control what is available pretty tightly so you're not looking at a thousand possible objectives and map markers, and it has a memorable opening and finale. (Even though the final boss is .... hilarious... and the total overall story doesn't move forward much).

Both ME and DA moved to Frostbite Open World and it just killed that rhythm.

As for games I haven't finished... just about all of them. Or at least like 80%
    It's a rare thing for a game to hold my attention completely.
    I'm also far away from feeling remotely bad about. If I spend 5-10 bucks on a game, have a few hours of fun poking at mechanics and then leave, it's fine.
    It's a bit different when a big game doesn't gel, like how RDR2 just completely lost me, somewhere in Chapter 3 I believe.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Too many games I've played a little bit of then quit to count.

But I've spent a lot of time on Breath of the Wild and never completed. Also FF12 I skipped ever finishing last story boss and instead burned out on postgame stuff(I'm sure story boss would be pushover)

edited February 2019
    I have the collectors edition of Mass Effect 2 and, when I entered it's code into Origin, I got all of the DLC stories. I think I bought them before and they got transferred to my Origin account.

Krathoon on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I've played every single zelda game

I beat link to the past

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Stop judging my Steam library.

Games you bought but never even installed don't count.

Except in the wallet.

AKA why I don't buy anything from steam sales anymore.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I created a spreadsheet to track games that I started but didn't finish. It's like an achievement list for how unfocused I can get.

Xaquin wrote: »

I beat link to the past

I still need to finish:

Skyward Sword
    Breath of the Wild
    Minish Cap
    Oracle of Ages
    Oracle of Seasons
    Link's Awakening
    Four Swords
    Triforce Heroes
    Spirit Tracks
    Phantom Hourglass

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

I beat link to the past

I still need to finish:

Skyward Sword
    Breath of the Wild
    Minish Cap
    Oracle of Ages
    Oracle of Seasons
    Link's Awakening
    Four Swords
    Triforce Heroes
    Spirit Tracks
    Phantom Hourglass

Hmm, my total is more like:
    Zelda 1 (I think I got to dungeon 8 or 9 one time though)
    Zelda 2 (I don't even like this one)
    Link to the Past GBA (final boss, had to back up and get potions, never came back to it though)
    Breath of the Wild (don't own a Switch)
    Minish Cap (on the final boss, it was near impossible not to get hit out of the necessary transformation and that made me give up)
    Four Swords Adventures (only played this with friends)
    Triforce Heroes (never got it, there was zero chance of having two friends to play it with)
    Spirit Tracks (this one might be worth restarting, got about halfway through)
    Skyward Sword (got to the time travel desert dungeon, kind of don't like this one)

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i haven't finished an open world game since like, assassin's creed II? or maybe la noire but that's barely open world

i'll get around to beating [arkham city/MGSV/spider-man/etc] eventually......

uc3ufTB.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Let's see...

FFT I couldn't stand how JP worked, and eventually got distracted and never came back to it.
    FFVIII I didn't get how leveling and all worked... and eventually put it down.
    FFIX I just got distracted by other things at some point...

The Last Story I put down on the final boss because it's bullshit. Never went back to it.

Spirit Tracks I gave up on the last dungeon song and couldn't progress any further.

Let's see... a giant pile of steam backlog?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I have a tendency to stop at the literal final save point for jrpgs and never go back for some reason

Also I like to restart and change my classes so it takes me forever to go through a game

Peas on
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I wish more games had a journal/quest log for when you haven't played in ages and don't want to start over.

Also an always-accessible tutorial or starter zone or something, to help with skill atrophy.

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Witcher 3, so much stuff I was side tracked but I didn’t want to miss anything. Still not finished the main story and have the additional add ons.

I love the game and hope I finish it as some point.

I have started Kingdoms of Amalur over several times.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Too many to name, of course.

Fragile Dreams - Farewell Ruins of the Moon keeps nagging a me. Kingdoms of Amalur remains about 75% finished. VA-11 Hall-A is one I keep meaning to go back to. I backed Pillars of Eternity 2, but only barely managed to leave the main city.

The freshest wound is Pathfinder: Kingmaker. I keep making new characters and hardly ever advance too much further than beating the Stag Lord. My best attempt took all the way to the start of he Vanishing of Varnhold. Still, I remain hopeful that one day I'll manage it. If I can just find the right race & class combination.

WotanAnubis on
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I am on mobile but I think I have my backloggery in my signature. Ever since I was a broke college kid with a 360 I learned to go after achievements and now trophies to stretch the game out and save money. So once I start a game I pretty much always finish it. Having said that once I got my PS4 I pretty much shunned my 360. So Mass effect 3 I played a lot of multiplayer and never even started the campaign. I bought Hitman absolution because the collectors edition is fucking baller and never played it. It is pretty rare nowadays for me to leave a game undone since once I get a trophy I need to get at least 75% of them to keep my overall percentage level up to that point or higher.

Just looked up 2 more. Project Cars was free and I wanted to check it out and got burned by the tutorial unlocking a trophy. Never touched it after that. MTXvsATV had the worst handling controls of any video game I have ever played. I could not make myself keep playing and I have pushed through some grueling shit for trophies before.

furlion on
    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I usually make it a point to finish any game I start.

But a few notables that have eluded completion over the years:

Silent Hill 3
    Final Fantasy 8
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky
    System Shock 2
    Divinity Original Sin 2

I got close to beating Silent Hill, but I did not get the antidote to help the cop lady.

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    You should go back and try to finish Mass Effect 2 if you have time.

I think it's the best in the series but a lot of people disagree.

ME2 is in my top games of all time - I think it's pretty widely regarded as the best of the three, isn't it? Certainly my favorite. (Only The Last of Us, Half-Life 2, and Resident Evil 4 are above it in my top five. God of War is #5.)

Worth finishing it to experience the final few hours. Fantastic.

I have a bunch of never-finisheds. Witcher 3, Ocarina... Oh! I know what my most shameful one is. Pokemon Blue. Need to pick up Let's Go Pikachu and really do the damn thing.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I never finished Riana Rouge.

Don't google that on your work computer. Or with your family around. Or at all.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • verbelverbel Registered User regular
    The amount of games in this category in my steam library is rather depressing.

steam_sig.png
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I have played all Deus Ex games but the only one I finished was Deus Ex 2 Invisible War on the original Xbox.

I got stuck in a shrine in Breath of the Wild and never played it again.

I hated how Last of Us played but liked the story but mid way through I couldn’t force myself forward any more.

PSN: Honkalot
    I like the mechanism for the zombification in Last of Us. Still haven't finished it. Bought the remastered edition.

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    My Steam library is a general indictment towards me in terms of finishing (or even starting) some games.

Notables on console, my standard Goto for gaming are:

ME: Andromeda - I just quickly grew disinterested and have no desire to return
    RDR2 - I just got tired of it, can’t put my finger on why, will probably come back to it eventually (KH3 is probably the reason tbh, getting platinum in that was some of the best time I’ve spent gaming in recent memory)
    Resident Evil 7 - because I’m a giant weenie and then I got PSVR and my wife told me the only way I can go back and play it is in VR and fuck that forever

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Ring of Red - Great game, and a great concept. But later on, close to what I presume was the endgame, the battles started taking a million years to finish.

MechAssault - One of the reasons I even got an Xbox. But I hit a mission that sucked, put in Burnout 3: Takedown, and forgot this even existed.

GTA: San Andreas - I made the mistake of buying this on console after playing Vice City on PC. Theres no going back to the console controls of those early GTA games after that.

Armored Core 3 - While I beat AC2, and loved it, I started AC3 after I’d already played some Nexus with dual analog support. See above.

Shadow of Rome - My copy glitched out on me part of the way through. I have a good condition disc now, but haven’t gone back to my save.

Uncharted - I got bored and hit the “YouTube” button. Naughty Dog makes good feature-length movies.

Killzone: Shadow Fall - I reached a part of the campaign where the draw of finishing it no longer outweighed my desire to play other, better games. Mainly, it just made me miss Killzone 2 multiplayer.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    I played Super Metroid the year it came out

I first finished it 3 years ago

It is me, I am El Chumpo

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    I played Super Metroid the year it came out

I first finished it 3 years ago

It is me, I am El Chumpo

At least you finished it. That's more than I can say for Metroid Prime or Metroid Prime 2.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I made it ten minutes into undertale and can’t bring myself to restart it.

I’ve yet to complete a game of endless legend. Which sounds like exactly my type of game in theory but in practice it just doesn’t work out.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Zelda
    Zelda 2
    Zelda: Link's Awakening (I got really far, hit a snag, and it eludes me)

Some might say that I am a bad Zelda fan.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games