As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: Pittsburgh At Cleveland? There Is No Dog.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Who would play voluntarily in the XFL considering:

A.) The previous iterations history and shared ownership.

B.) The fact that this league is to market first and picked the ideal window to play in (starting before spring training for baseball even) and has a nascent relationship with the NFL who ever since NFL Europe stopped has no development league

Johnny Manziel

Other people so wracked by toxic masculinity they can only feel good about themselves by playing with concussions

Etc

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

B.) The fact that this league is to market first and picked the ideal window to play in (starting before spring training for baseball even) and has a nascent relationship with the NFL who ever since NFL Europe stopped has no development league

Johnny Manziel

Other people so wracked by toxic masculinity they can only feel good about themselves by playing with concussions

Etc

Well I mean people who don't have the option are clearly in the mix but I'm talking about people who have other options.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    edited February 2019

Johnny Manziel

Etc

Well I mean people who don't have the option are clearly in the mix but I'm talking about people who have other options.

I agree completely with you. I was just commenting on the XFL’s fucked up brand. Vince has been gleeful playing up the no kneeling/no issues with head shots shit to differentiate his shitty league.

And saying stuff like zero tolerance but openly courting white dirt bags to play in the league because he understands there’s a market for football fans that hate black people.

Edited to better make the point

Captain Inertia on
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    So this league isn't the XFL shit that I should be avoiding right? This is like the uh...league below the premier league in Football(Soccer)?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    So this league isn't the XFL shit that I should be avoiding right? This is like the uh...league below the premier league in Football(Soccer)?

It's the NFL's minor league (kind of).

I recorded the opening game and just started watching it. It's something to pass the time until the draft at least. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

camo_sig2.png
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    Tcheldor wrote: »

It's the NFL's minor league (kind of).

I recorded the opening game and just started watching it. It's something to pass the time until the draft at least. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Was there one to ight I only saw tomorrow's

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I feel kind of bad for Aikman because he’s clearly got concussion damage but they still keep putting him on TV.
    It's not really a rival league. In fact, the AAF would solve a few problems for the NFL with regards to a developmental league.

So it's not surprising that they're supporting the AAF.

Unless that was stated somewhere and I haven't seen it, I think that's a future goal.

I had the pregame on when I was doing other stuff and the word of the day was “opportunity”.

Plus a couple of the AAF officials were openly talking about how they’d like to basically be a development league for the NFL.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Theres one on CBS now.

I've only seen a few minutes so far. The uniforms are pretty decent, nice middle ground between new and not super gimmicky. And the play style is definitely NFL which I prefer to arena/CFL/college

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular

Johnny Manziel

Etc

Johnny Manziel is not allowed to play in the XFL as he was arrested. Vince McMahon made a big deal about not using players who have criminal records but we will see if that is something they will actually end up doing or not.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »

Johnny Manziel

Etc

Johnny Manziel is not allowed to play in the XFL as he was arrested. Vince McMahon made a big deal about not using players who have criminal records but we will see if that is something they will actually end up doing or not.

Manziel is better off staying in the CFL anyway.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I bet Woody Guthrie would be thrilled to see his music used in a recruiting commercial

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I bet Woody Guthrie would be thrilled to see his music used in a recruiting commercial

I imagine Arlo's pretty pissed too.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    The two minutes I’ve seen of this game have been roughly as entertaining as the Super Bowl. So this league will be fine?????????

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The fact that the AAF has no kickoffs makes it worth supporting, to just see that being pushed as viable.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I absolutely despise how the defense is fucked over harder on penalties that the offense. Automatic first downs should only happen on, say, personal fouls (that do not include incedental contact).

I just love the defensive holding call.

Defensive holding in particular kinda needs to be an automatic first down, cause otherwise the incentive to just hold on any passing down is too strong

I agree in general though (like isn’t hands to the face five yards and a first? Just why)

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I absolutely despise how the defense is fucked over harder on penalties that the offense. Automatic first downs should only happen on, say, personal fouls (that do not include incedental contact).

Defensive holding in particular kinda needs to be an automatic first down, cause otherwise the incentive to just hold on any passing down is too strong

I agree in general though (like isn’t hands to the face five yards and a first? Just why)

If the awarded penalty doesn't give a first down, then no first down. Defenses already know it is better to commit a penalty than give up bigger yardage. It sure worked out for LAT. Going from 3rd and ten to 3rd and five shouldn't be considered more outrageous than going from 4th and 15 to 1st and ten but only gaining five yards.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I hope that AAF ends up better run than the UFL, which, given the media blitz it already seems to be. Went to a couple UFL games back in the day and enjoyed them.

I wouldn't mind Sacramento Mountain Lions coming back as an AAF team. Or go with the original name Northern California Redwoods which amuses me for no particular reason.

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    I’m finding the AAF... quite enjoyable so
    far. Hope it keeps this up.

I think there’s a huge market (well, big enough for a profitable league) of people that want to watch less unethical football. I’m not sure that’s possible, though eliminating the kickoff is a good step for the AAF and hopefully they can go from that to codifying good tackling in their rulebook without making every play controversial.

Having less money may help keep them from making crazy bad discipline and personnel decisions as well- keep the abusers and bullies out, and maybe don’t force dudes to get hooked on opioids.

Also marching bands, somehow

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Wait what just happened? Because the website says a TD was nullified, and the 2pt was good?! I am confused.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Hands to the face is dangerous, and is penalized because of that danger.

• lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Really enjoyed watching John Wolford tear up the AAF. Hope he gets another crack at the NFL after this season.

I would download a car.
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Hands to the face is dangerous, and is penalized because of that danger.

Basically all defensive penalties are either dangerous (personal foul, hands to face, tripping), exploitable (PI, holding) or don't result in a first down (offside, 12 men, running into the kicker)

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    Godfuckingdamnit Browns

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Godfuckingdamnit Browns

Ummm... context please?

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    they signed Kareem Hunt.

TexiKen wrote: »
    they signed Kareem Hunt.

Oh.

Ohhhhhh.

Godfuckingdamnit Browns.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    "Thank goodness that at least we didn't sign him."
    -Fans of 31 other teams.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    "Thank goodness that at least we didn't sign him."
    -Fans of 31 other teams.

I don't think that number is as high as you think it is.

Browns are going to be so overhyped and win like 5 games. So there's that

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    PantsB wrote: »
    Browns are going to be so overhyped and win like 5 games. So there's that

You're kidding, right?

They're going to win their Division this year, go to the AFC Conference game next year, and win the Superbowl in early 2022.

Or, they'll go 3-13 the next three years, go through two coaching staff resets, and Baker Mayfield will be proclaimed a bust.

I'm trying out to be a NFL news personality. I've gotta bring the hot taeks.

Honestly, if they can get a winning record, and finish second in the Division (even if that's not enough for a wildcard), I would chalk that up as a win. Anything more than that (and I hope they do it), and they're exceeding my expectations.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    lol the Lions trying to get out from being picked for Hard Knocks. Comment from Patricia: "I think Jon Gruden is an excellent choice for that show," Patricia said. "I think the Oakland Raiders and everything they‘ve got going on right now would be fantastic viewing for everybody to watch."

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Hard Knocks: Lions would be everyone waiting around for Patricia to show up to work

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    lol the Lions trying to get out from being picked for Hard Knocks. Comment from Patricia: "I think Jon Gruden is an excellent choice for that show," Patricia said. "I think the Oakland Raiders and everything they‘ve got going on right now would be fantastic viewing for everybody to watch."

They're not wrong. People love to rubberneck at train wrecks.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Which teams is that an argument for?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.

Which teams is that an argument for?

All of them, Katie!

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular

Ian Rapoport works for the NFL Network.

That's an interesting move...

edited February 2019
    Elway to add Endzone DPI to playbook.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • marajimaraji Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Elway to add Endzone DPI to playbook.
    Brandon Cooks and Torrey Smith to join Denver to add a “new dimension” to the passing game.

maraji on
    I saw this today:

Hackenburg is the ninth best QB in an eight team league.