As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Anthem] Early Access is live. Please mark spoilers. God speed, Freelancers.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I would think we'd get weapons down the line just cause the Interceptor is such a melee-focused class.

Also I could see them releasing a "Brawler" version of the Colossus later for people who want a tankier verson of the Interceptor.

Give me a legit option to punch evil into submission and my opinion of your game automatically goes up by a few points.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »
    So.... was there a preorder bonus other than beta access? Or is it a different set of skins?

I think maybe an emblem if you played in the VIP demo? Absolutely nothing "worthwhile" anyway, all of their preorder bonuses are very, very forgettable and I approve.

The lack of preorder nonsense is pretty good.... but it's so un-EA. I just found it confusing.

It probably was originally planned to be a fuckparty of Ubisoft levels, but after Battlefront 2 and several other controversies involving EA, maybe they decided to play it safe with this one.

Not like it's helped much, because youtube opinion makers seem to be gearing up to put a torch to Anthem if it's anything less than the second coming...

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    So.... was there a preorder bonus other than beta access? Or is it a different set of skins?

I think maybe an emblem if you played in the VIP demo? Absolutely nothing "worthwhile" anyway, all of their preorder bonuses are very, very forgettable and I approve.

The lack of preorder nonsense is pretty good.... but it's so un-EA. I just found it confusing.

It probably was originally planned to be a fuckparty of Ubisoft levels, but after Battlefront 2 and several other controversies involving EA, maybe they decided to play it safe with this one.

Not like it's helped much, because youtube opinion makers seem to be gearing up to put a torch to Anthem if it's anything less than the second coming...

I'm not big on jumping on the hate train, mind, but PC performance for Anthem is really kinda shit at the moment.

I'm hoping the final product will run at least decently, but I get a feeling the PC version is going to be really bad.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

I'm not big on jumping on the hate train, mind, but PC performance for Anthem is really kinda shit at the moment.

I'm hoping the final product will run at least decently, but I get a feeling the PC version is going to be really bad.

I dunno we've seen from the later game changer footage on pcs the game running a lot better. Don't know if that's because they are on suped up dev machines or the code got better. But if you look at some of the "end game" footage that got released a couple weeks back the game looked to me running noticeably better.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Pre-ordering got you the VIP demo access and also a Legion of Dawn skin for the Ranger. Playing the VIP demo got you a decal, plus an additional one they added due to the tech shenanigans that were going on. I also got a set of pins from Gamestop when I pre-ordered.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Is it Friday yet?

o5u0kopcyyud.gif

• BeefjerkyBeefjerky Registered User regular
    Waiting for this game is brutal right now. I've been following it for like 6 months now. I can't wait for the thread to blow up after all you early access people get a chance with it.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

I dunno we've seen from the later game changer footage on pcs the game running a lot better. Don't know if that's because they are on suped up dev machines or the code got better. But if you look at some of the "end game" footage that got released a couple weeks back the game looked to me running noticeably better.

I mean I really hope so.

I used my free game code from my video card to buy it because I feel like there's definitely something there worth checking out.

If not, I'll just go back to Warframe.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I hate myself for saying this but I hope they add underwater combat, seems like it could be fairly smooth in this game.

Now watch them add a terrifying eldritch horror under there to make me regret this.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I hate myself for saying this but I hope they add underwater combat, seems like it could be fairly smooth in this game.

Now watch them add a terrifying eldritch horror under there to make me regret this.

You take that back!!! lol

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Please tell me there aren't a lot of group puzzles in this.

I just...I can't. Its the last thing I want in this kind of game but apparently theres atleast a few.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    Regarding faster leveling/experience gain, via the ask a question reddit thread just for confirmation:
    Experience comes from feats. One feat may be to kill 50 enemies, but there is no experience gained outside of feats (such as XP per enemy). Feats reset every expedition (and they are earned and shared as a group.
    So yea, checking your feats tab while in freeplay/whatever is probably a good idea to see how close your various medals/feats are at to the next upgrade (they tend to go bronze/silver/gold) for another quick 50xp.

If they're going to use a system like that then that's probably the best way, but it's still just inferior to the bog standard I kill something and it gives me XP. Fixing won't isn't broken. Add the feats on top of that. But then this slows the game down, probably the main idea behind it.

I really really like not giving a crap about mob XP.

I like getting mob XP but really only in a case where all kill exp is divided evenly among the group so I don't have to worry about tagging mobs or any of that bullshit.

Which I think probably just means I like seeing numbers pop up and filling bars :P

I DEFINITELY like seeing numbers and filling bars. I play Warframe, after all.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Do they not have a Anthem Legion of Dawn Edition for PC?

Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Water levels themselves usually are an eldritch horror.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    This is one of those games you are better off playing with a controller.

• Longhorn PrimeLonghorn Prime Registered User regular
    I just signed up for EA Access on my Xbox. I’m just about completely sold on Anthem but I would like to try out the release build. Had just enough issues during the demo weekends that I’m slightly unsure. But when it was working I was having a blast

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    With the slight addendum that anyone on Origin Premier can use their refer-a-friend codes to give people 7 days of Origin Basic which gives them 10 hours of Anthem on the 15th.

Oh, I have some referral codes then if anybody wants them.

I'll be streaming the early release too if anybody wants to be sure the wrinkles are ironed out. Well, assuming servers aren't nuked which well...

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    htm wrote: »
    The demo was completely and enjoyably playable on M/Kb once you understood how to fix the settings. Flight was a little slushy, but nowhere near game breaking.

I dunno, the first thing I did after flying 10 feet was stop and adjust the three flight settings available in different permutations and it all felt like garbage. I didn't end up trying the ini edits or whatever were out there because I didn't need a PTT key or anything, so I stayed on controller for the demo.

Control feel is entirely subjective, of course, but after I cranked down the "Flight Response" and "Flight Precision" settings to zero, flying controls became a moderately janky version of what they are in every other third person game I've played. Not great, but I was able to swoop through canyons, skim over rivers for extra cooling, and target my Interceptor's Tasmanian Devil melee dive bombs with precision.

For anyone who wants to play M/Kb on the PC version and has been alarmed at all the people claiming Anthem is unplayable that way, I'd advise you to wait and try the game yourself before investing in a controller. The devs have said it'll be much better at launch, but even if it's not, someone will figure out how to make it better. I didn't try the .ini edits, either, but apparently, there's a whole realm of tweaking the engine's control feel available to PC players. Someone on Reddit will probably figure it out.

htm on
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Pre-ordering got you the VIP demo access and also a Legion of Dawn skin for the Ranger. Playing the VIP demo got you a decal, plus an additional one they added due to the tech shenanigans that were going on. I also got a set of pins from Gamestop when I pre-ordered.

Snip

Pre-ordering the standard edition also gets you the legendary weapon.

• The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

Snip

Whaaaat? News to me....

• HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Do they not have a Anthem Legion of Dawn Edition for PC?

You have to buy it digitally direct on Origin. There is a no physical copy.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Still debating about the early start. The rational part of me just tells me to wait. Since they forked the code so long ago, even with all the fixes, you know there's going to be a litany of bugs still to fix. Getting in early is pretty much beta part 2, but even still, I kind of want to see the improvements and start playing haha.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

Snip

Whaaaat? News to me....

The pre-order content page on the Xbox store mentioned it same as this IGN article.

https://m.ign.com/articles/2019/02/08/anthem-release-date-collectors-edition

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    I can't access anything gamey behind the work filters, so maybe someone can answer this for me.

Are there different Anthem editions you can buy? What comes with each and what are the pre-order bonuses?

Yes, one, "Legion of Dawn", and you get some cosmetics and an emblem. That's it.

Also a gun, I believe. And while people have mentioned 'lol you probably outlevel it by level 5', if it's a blueprint, it might last a lot longer than that, depending on the availability of the resources to craft it.

I'm not saying anything either way, more noting there's something else than just the cosmetics. How good or not the weapon actually is remains to be seen.

I ~~hope~~ I outlevel the gun by level 5. I really hate when the Gold Edition special armor and shit is so good you never need to use anything else for half the game.

There's been some Blood Dragon stuff in the past that was so overpowered I refused to equip it.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    The demo was completely and enjoyably playable on M/Kb once you understood how to fix the settings. Flight was a little slushy, but nowhere near game breaking.

I dunno, the first thing I did after flying 10 feet was stop and adjust the three flight settings available in different permutations and it all felt like garbage. I didn't end up trying the ini edits or whatever were out there because I didn't need a PTT key or anything, so I stayed on controller for the demo.

Control feel is entirely subjective, of course, but after I cranked down the "Flight Response" and "Flight Precision" settings to zero, flying controls became a moderately janky version of what they are in every other third person game I've played. Not great, but I was able to swoop through canyons, skim over rivers for extra cooling, and target my Interceptor's Tasmanian Devil melee dive bombs with precision.

For anyone who wants to play M/Kb on the PC version and has been alarmed at all the people claiming Anthem is unplayable that way, I'd advise you to wait and try the game yourself before investing in a controller. The devs have said it'll be much better at launch, but even if it's not, someone will figure out how to make it better. I didn't try the .ini edits, either, but apparently, there's a whole realm of tweaking the engine's control feel available to PC players. Someone on Reddit will probably figure it out.

I had my Flight Precision low, but wouldn't we need to turn Flight Response to maximum? At least that's what I did, because I had to throw my mouse across the desk and my character would take like several seconds to actually start turning

I have a sense that some random fucko at BioWare deliberately mandated flight to "extremely unresponsive and uncompliant with player control" by default because they thought it was "immersive" and more sensible heads couldn't prevail so they compromised by developing the setting tools for players to adjust it. Like, the Flight Response field was set to like, 10-20 by default. Is that field literally some sort of artificial input lag?

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I ~~hope~~ I outlevel the gun by level 5. I really hate when the Gold Edition special armor and shit is so good you never need to use anything else for half the game.

There's been some Blood Dragon stuff in the past that was so overpowered I refused to equip it.

I can't remember if I ever took the Blood Dragon armour off in Dragon Age 2.

I like the idea of a starter gun and an end game blueprint, as long as the end game blueprint isn't stupid good. Gives you a nice bonus that bookends the progression system, and if you like the visual you can keep using it after you've hit the cap. But doesn't invalidate the gear system all the way through.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    If the nature of the "Exotic" tier weaponry is akin to that of Destiny, our primary endgame focus will be on those pieces of weaponry and how they relate to our builds. Non-Exotic gear will be largely interchangeable things that we switch around on a whim.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »

I can't remember if I ever took the Blood Dragon armour off in Dragon Age 2.

I like the idea of a starter gun and an end game blueprint, as long as the end game blueprint isn't stupid good. Gives you a nice bonus that bookends the progression system, and if you like the visual you can keep using it after you've hit the cap. But doesn't invalidate the gear system all the way through.

As far as we know, you get blueprints through weapon use. So the more you use the weapon, the more it will keep up.

We don't know exactly how it works, especially for legendaries and that weapon in particular.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

I had my Flight Precision low, but wouldn't we need to turn Flight Response to maximum? At least that's what I did, because I had to throw my mouse across the desk and my character would take like several seconds to actually start turning

I have a sense that some random fucko at BioWare deliberately mandated flight to "extremely unresponsive and uncompliant with player control" by default because they thought it was "immersive" and more sensible heads couldn't prevail so they compromised by developing the setting tools for players to adjust it. Like, the Flight Response field was set to like, 10-20 by default. Is that field literally some sort of artificial input lag?

I think that's a PC problem. On Xbox, flight felt fuckin' amazing. Straight up Iron Man level of good. You don't corner too well, but hover instantly stops your momentum, so you can use it like a handbrake turn. Just SO good, man. I'd fly around all day if I could.

• htmhtm Registered User regular

I think the settings were just misnamed. From what I read, zeroing out Flight Response and Flight Precision had the effect of removing acceleration curve translations from mouse input to avatar directional changes. So once those two were zero, mouse input's effect on your direction became linear and the Flight Sensitivity started working the way you expected it to.

• drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    The game runs like crispy fried buttholes on my PC, but I'm still gonna play the heck out of it after my dentist appointment this week. 👌

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    honestly if they fixed that issue where the game isn't frame capped so your gpu tries to render loading screens at a billion fps I think I'll be good.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    I was really thinking I'd start and main a Storm but the launch trailer has my head turning towards the colossus. I love that giant cannon ult it has, the explosion and sound just so satisfying.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I was pretty much set on being a Colossus main from the time we got a full shot of it head-on and it was revealed that it's just a small Titan.

OC do not steal

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Dr strange for life. The similarities between it and the warlock from D2 make it a comfortable fit for me.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Longhorn PrimeLonghorn Prime Registered User regular
    I’m planning on maining colossus but I’m going to unlock it second. Thinking I’m going to unlock the storm first. If I went colossus first I don’t feel like I would touch the other javelins. And I did enjoy the storm during the demo

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Storm is a ton of fun, floating all over the place. I liked having that sort of tactical view of the action.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I originally thought I’d main Colossus, and I’m sure I’ll still play that quite a bit. But all I keep thinking about is getting in more of that sweet ginsu action with the Interceptor. I love any class that encourages my general play style of diving into the scrum and getting my hands dirty, and the melee detonator and Ults are just too good. So I’m pretty sure that’s where I’ll start at least and then go from there.

Although I found the Ranger surprisingly fun as well when I came back to it after trying the other three. I like how well balanced it is, which lets you fill in the gaps in your squad as needed. Really, they’re all pretty good!

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    Just as a note, game releases GLOBALLY on Friday, but that means if you're in NA you actually get it sooner, on the 14th. Check on origin!

And happy valentine's day!

is3wo3lbxb5i.png

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    It unlocks 23:30 here in Central Europe

I'm going to assume the servers will be fucked for a couple of hours and instead wait until morning to try it out

*Rolls a Willpower check*

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
This discussion has been closed.