As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Ugh, I’m sorry. People are such jerks. Your poor son!

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    We got a letter from my son's school saying that he is being moved into challenge classes next year. Basically honors classes for elementary and middle School. We are thrilled that he is doing so well especially after his intense dislike of first grade. I was in challenge myself back in the day and I am glad he has improved so much. Now we just have to make sure he makes it through the rest of this year keeping up the good work.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    That's super gross Ceres. That's the worst kind of this thing but I hate when people decide that now is the time to have a conversation about their opinion, when it almost never is.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Today after I got him from school my son and I brought some clothes for donation to my doctor's office, and he and I were the recipients of quite a long attempt at conversion that was very obviously and specifically targeted at Jews. I assume that's because of the kippah and tzitzit that are part of my son's uniform. No one else there got this, just us.

Like come on dude, this kid is 5, he's already bored out of his skull, and this is a pretty garbage thing to do right now! I didn't want to be rude in front of the person I can barely get to say thank you, and I tried to be very firm about the fact that we are very Jewish, that is not changing, and the guy asks me if I've read my own book and know what it says. Get the fuck out of here, guy.

So when we got back the car I had to tell him the same thing I heard when I was his age.

Yeah fuck that guy. I'm sorry that happened to you and your son.

I'm not religious what so ever and get pretty aggressively rude when the topic is pushed on me or my kids. If I was in your spot, I probably would have given him 1-2 "No thank you" comments before unloading. Which is so unlike me since I normally am I easy going person. Weird the things that will set you off.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Leaving early for my trip w/my daughter to Universal Orlando tomorrow, and I can't tell who's looking forward to it more, me or her. We did the same trip for my son (at 11, we brought him to the park because kids start Hogwarts at 11) and it was just incredible. The staff really play along when they find out. It's not a perfect park, relies too heavily on 'screen rides' but it's great for that age range because it doesn't have a ton of 'kiddie' rides (and what ones they do are actually pretty neat) and pretty much everything else has low enough height requirements that she won't be shut out of anything.

Any of you in the area, look for the middle aged guy in cargo shorts and baseball cap, I'm sure I'll be super easy to spot.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2019
    Eh.. I talked to the lady from the office, who set up the donation, and she was like "uh oh did he try to convert you?" And I said "YES WTF." She said yeahhh, and apologized because she'd meant to warn me but got busy. I hadn't originally planned to stay for the pickup, he just happened to be getting there shortly so I stayed to talk to him so I could get a better idea of what he needed. They've apparently all heard it a hundred times at this point.

She said not too long ago he went through something really big and traumatic, and that's when he found Jesus and got involved and it pretty much literally saved him. He's just at that point in his journey where he's really enthusiastic and wants to share it with everybody so they can be happy and feel better too. They had known him for quite a while before all this and he's always been really sweet so they kind of put up with it.

I'm still glad to help him get what he needs.. I'll just be dropping it off with my friend next time instead of sticking around for the pickup. :P

I probably would have been a lot more upset even now if Miles were capable of paying more than five seconds of attention to a conversation that doesn't interest or include him.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    i5efx1lw5hkr.jpg

I have no idea how he managed to get any sleep like that.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    They're not that far removed from sleeping tightly wrapped up inside a mobile water balloon.

Sprocket's six and I can still pick her up and carry her somewhere without waking her up. Can you fucking imagine? If the cat jumps up on the bed, I wake up. Can you imagine how solidly you would have to sleep for someone to physically pick you up and put you somewhere else?

EDIT: To somewhat answer my own questions, toddlers are essentially tiny drunk people, and that includes passing out anytime, anywhere.

Cog on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Siglet sleeps like that sometimes, though it's becoming less often

She often shoves her head in the corner, or sticks her butt in the air

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah my son would sleep like that all the time. now he sleeps like a human person most of the time though when he falls asleep for an unintentional nap he does sleep in a way that my back aches at.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Uncomfortable sleeping positions?

42le1n8xqkbt.jpeg

This is not an accident. If we move the books off, he replaces them. On his head.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Ugh. So apparently "18 month sleep regressions" are a thing. It feels like every month there's a "oh yeah this is a common sleep regression time" :P. Thankfully this is really the first one we've ever hit for more than a night or two, but it's very not pleasant. Sleep, baby, I know you can!

I don't even know if it's a "real" 18-month sleep regression or if it's because her grandparents came into town, because it started around the same time haha

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I don't know, I also experience sleep regression when my mother in law is around.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Been forever since I was in the thread, but today a bunch of morons are protesting in Washington about the right to let their kids get sick and infect those who can’t get vaccinated with measles. I am so fucking upset about it. Fuck these shitheals, take their fucking kids away, it’s fucking abuse to the kid and it’s reckless negligence to people who are vulnerable.

Some of the schools have under 40% vaccination rates are you fucking kidding me

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    cursedking wrote: »
    Been forever since I was in the thread, but today a bunch of morons are protesting in Washington about the right to let their kids get sick and infect those who can’t get vaccinated with measles. I am so fucking upset about it. Fuck these shitheals, take their fucking kids away, it’s fucking abuse to the kid and it’s reckless negligence to people who are vulnerable.

As Washington state residents, the wife and I have to be particularly careful where we take our kids. I feel stupid having to actually ask if a play place or school requires vaccinations. Fortunately, a lot of places are on-board the vaxx train and it hasn't been an issue. I'm actually flooded with physical mail reminders to get vaccines to the point I wonder who they are for. Of course, I know now.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that after the measles outbreak began, there was a play place requiring proof of vaccinations before kids could play. Their Facebook page got a bunch of 1-star reviews, which thankfully were bulldozed by a ton of 5-star reviews praising their decision.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »

As Washington state residents, the wife and I have to be particularly careful where we take our kids. I feel stupid having to actually ask if a play place or school requires vaccinations. Fortunately, a lot of places are on-board the vaxx train and it hasn't been an issue. I'm actually flooded with physical mail reminders to get vaccines to the point I wonder who they are for. Of course, I know now.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that after the measles outbreak began, there was a play place requiring proof of vaccinations before kids could play. Their Facebook page got a bunch of 1-star reviews, which thankfully were bulldozed by a ton of 5-star reviews praising their decision.

This sucks, I’m sorry that you’re having to deal with that

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Folks, it happened. Anya asked about Fortnite.

If any other parents on the ps4 want to play it with me I’d be happy to play with ya.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Time to send her to the nunnery.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ellie had her first gym class yesterday. Daddy took her.

So I was meant to take her to swimming this morning.

I've been struck with some bizarre tummy bug thing and can't leave the bathroom.

So her loving and long suffering daddy will take her to swimming today as well.

Dammit. I was trying to be more involved. Stupid body.

• Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    Time to send her to the nunnery.

That might not be a good idea.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    How about a fortnunnery then

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    wz4aldy4vetf.jpg
    Sapling got waffles for the first time this morning.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    She seems thoroughly unimpressed :D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

She doesn't like being in her highchair.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Probably due to the lack of butter and maple syrup!

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Her hair <3

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    @lonelyahava I hope you feel better soon!

So... we are currently housebound by 13” of snow (3 x our annual average fell in one day), then the power went out. It’s been three hours.

As you might have guessed, the kids began to declare they were bored after 5 minutes of not being able to watch TV/play video games. We told them to invent a game and I swear this had zero input from me:

Anya decided to play massage parlor. She and Niko rubbed aloe Vera lotion over my arms and legs and feet for a good twenty minutes. It felt pretty nice! Then she begged to run me a hot bath. She was pretty insistent so I thought, why not? I actually soaked in that hot tub alone for a good five minutes! Niko appointed himself ‘bath watcher’ and used a jug to pour hot water over my back.

Of course the kids eventually climbed in with me, then Niko peed in the bathwater, but that was still the best game they’ve ever invented.

• Options
    A couple weeks ago my back was really hurting, and while I was sitting on the floor Sapling came up behind me and sort of patted me on the back, which gave me an idea, so now I've been working on training her to rub my back. She'll sort of lightly pat it for a good 30 seconds if I ask her for a backrub now.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So babies are jerks who pretend to figure out how to sleep at night from weeks 10 to 15 and then SURPRISE NO MORE SLEEP EVER

They also rely heavily on smiling at this point so you can’t be mad at them though

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    gv7tkpd9bcsu.jpeg

bge4djlh0puw.jpeg

First attempt at skiing: Success!

Also:
    Laying in the snow is fun!

5y5rdfpup8xq.jpeg

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Had to go looking for local stats after seeing under 40% vaccination rates holy shit in that post, but "Because Nevada law requires that all children be fully immunized before entering school, 96 percent of school-age children are fully immunized." His school is reported at 100%, so really we just have to worry about.. well.. everywhere else they go.

I'm from southeastern PA, and at least when we moved away I was pretty sure vaccination rates were on the decline. I actually had someone there tell me that polio actually wasn't a problem in India. They only started getting polio when they went to the cities and met people who had been vaccinated true story. Someone else told me that it wasn't nearly as prevalent there or as severe a disease as vaxxers tried to make us think.

• Options
    Had to go looking for local stats after seeing under 40% vaccination rates holy shit in that post, but "Because Nevada law requires that all children be fully immunized before entering school, 96 percent of school-age children are fully immunized." His school is reported at 100%, so really we just have to worry about.. well.. everywhere else they go.

I'm from southeastern PA, and at least when we moved away I was pretty sure vaccination rates were on the decline. I actually had someone there tell me that polio actually wasn't a problem in India. They only started getting polio when they went to the cities and met people who had been vaccinated true story. Someone else told me that it wasn't nearly as prevalent there or as severe a disease as vaxxers tried to make us think.

The issue is that Washington State passed a personal/philosophical (and religious, but I'll pretend that's reasonable for now) exemption, and people have been using that. Otherwise you are required to have vaccinations. Also, check and make sure its not 100% of students who haven't been exempted, and everyone in general, kindergarten vaccinations are the numbers you want to look at, because we were still vaccinating most people 7+ years ago.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

42le1n8xqkbt.jpeg

This is not an accident. If we move the books off, he replaces them. On his head.

A cow says moo

A sheep says ba

Three singing pigs say La La La

No no you say that isn't right!

Pigs say Oink all day and night

Rhinoceroses snort and snuff and tiny little dogs go ruff ruff ruff

Quack says the duck

A horse says neigh

It's quiet now, what do you say?

I have read Sandra Boynton books to my 22 month year old thousands of times

Somebody please come to my work and kill me

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

42le1n8xqkbt.jpeg

A cow says moo

A sheep says ba

Quack says the duck

A horse says neigh

What does the fox say?

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

42le1n8xqkbt.jpeg

A cow says moo

A sheep says ba

Quack says the duck

A horse says neigh

What does the fox say?

He's not in that book and in fact has yet to appear in any of the Boynton Expanded Universe books I have committed to memory.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    We love One, Two, Three and I'm envious of your Lightning McQueen decor.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

42le1n8xqkbt.jpeg

A cow says moo

A sheep says ba

Quack says the duck

A horse says neigh

What does the fox say?

He's not in that book and in fact has yet to appear in any of the Boynton Expanded Universe books I have committed to memory.

https://youtu.be/jofNR_WkoCE

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I don't know if my daughter is stupid but my cats had all this popping in the right place and sleeping shit all figured out when they were her age.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

The issue is that Washington State passed a personal/philosophical (and religious, but I'll pretend that's reasonable for now) exemption, and people have been using that. Otherwise you are required to have vaccinations. Also, check and make sure its not 100% of students who haven't been exempted, and everyone in general, kindergarten vaccinations are the numbers you want to look at, because we were still vaccinating most people 7+ years ago.

I have to ask...what the point of passing a law with a 'philisophical exemptions' is, and not just repealing said law?

This discussion has been closed.