As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dinos and Druids, A Tasty Romp through Table Top Games

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Bright is just Exhibit ∞Δ12 of why Fantasy Racism Is Still Racism.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    i was just thinking as i was doing the dishes.

what if bright has been good? On its surface, i want to like bright. It is modern day but there is orcs and elves and shit, that is 1010% my shit.

but then it was really bad.

but what if it had been good. That would be cool, then i could try to recruit people for a modern fantasy game like bright. but instead it is "bright but if it was good"

modern fantasy, you say, so like orc lives matter right ha ha!! I love it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular

what if bright has been good? On its surface, i want to like bright. It is modern day but there is orcs and elves and shit, that is 1010% my shit.

but what if it had been good. That would be cool, then i could try to recruit people for a modern fantasy game like bright. but instead it is "bright but if it was good"

honestly, that would have been better than bright's depiction of that.

Bright works best if you imagine elfs and shit showed up like in the 70s, and nothing before that changed. and even then it's not good.

but, i want to rob a bank as an elf with a sub machine gun and not be shadowrun.

because shadowrun's rules are all over the place and exist in a place where it can do things other rule sets can't do easily, but is in itself a weird mess that no reasonable person should have to run.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Zemog Smädda's deal is that he's an enthusiastic academic (self-insert much?) whose favourite topic just happens to be necromancy. He's not seeking power or eternal life or resurrection of a lost loved one, he just thinks it's a fascinating field of research, and he doesn't really get why people have so many hang-ups about corpses and the afterlife.

Like, why bury someone's body just because their soul has left it? You don't tear down a house when its first owners move out, after all. People don't realise how much opportunity there is for corporeal repurposing, and as for the smell you'd be astounded at the advances that have been made in odour suppr

Well, no, actually, I can't think of a better time to talk about this than right now, and furthermore I don't think that kind of language is appropriate at a funeral, sir.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

honestly, that would have been better than bright's depiction of that.

Bright works best if you imagine elfs and shit showed up like in the 70s, and nothing before that changed. and even then it's not good.

but, i want to rob a bank as an elf with a sub machine gun and not be shadowrun.

because shadowrun's rules are all over the place and exist in a place where it can do things other rule sets can't do easily, but is in itself a weird mess that no reasonable person should have to run.

Does anyone have any experience with the Dresden Files RPG?

Seems like it may be what you're looking for in a modern day urban fantasy game, but I've not played it myself.

• Options
    there's always d20 modern urban arcahahaha, i almost got through that without laughing.

• Options
    ElddrikElddrik Registered User regular
    there's always d20 modern urban arcahahaha, i almost got through that without laughing.

Unfortunately, I think d20 modern urban arcana is the least-bad modern fantasy option that I know of.

(People who like FATE might like the Dresden Files RPG. I don't actually really know if it's good. I know it's FATE-based and I dislike FATE enough that that alone is enough for me to write it off.)

• Options
    kitchen sink system genesys would work. but that also has baggage with it as well.

are there any good modern day rpgs that aren't like, white wolf?

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Fate could do it.

• Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    The old Cinematic Unisystem games (Buffy, Angel, Ghosts of Albion) could probably do that kind of urban fantasy fairly easily, though I am more than a bit biased since my only RPG writing credits came from them. The systems are probably pretty rickety by today’s standards.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Fate could do it.

Yea Fate, and Genesys for more crunch.

The Legend system from rule of Cool could work too. They had a modern setting write up my buddy used and we had a ton of fun with. The way weapons are created it's super easy to make modern ones.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    i like my rpgs how i like my peanut butter. kinda crunchy, often with jam.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    nice avatar melding

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Thank you! I'm real happy with it, I feel like the artist is really under charging.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    DMing Dungeon World this saturday. I'm excited! Got some big ideas of what might happen, but trying to leave enough spaces for the players to invent something different

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    kitchen sink system genesys would work. but that also has baggage with it as well.

Unknown Armies 3rd or Nights Black Agents are both neat urban fantasy stuff but far more focused on horror and secret society stuff than what you’re looking for.

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Glazius wrote: »
    Consider: Helping to build a cute Harvest Moon style farming community after the end of civilisation.

Yes, it's called Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine, what did you want to know?

Everything.

I've got like a thousand pages of Jenna Moran here. I can't give you everything.

What I can tell you is: it was a pretty Kingdom Hearts apocalypse. The world wasn't destroyed as much as it was drowned in darkness.

What I can tell you is: playing the game is pretty simple. You have some Do Regular Stuff points you spend when your skills aren't good enough to Do Regular Stuff, and they recharge after everybody's got the chance for about two focus scenes. You may also have some Do Magic Stuff points you spend to Do Magic Stuff and they recharge with their own pacing depending on what kind of Magic you Do. You get XP by wrapping up a scene with a genre-appropriate action, by hitting your character emotion, and by doing the things your Quests care about - you'll generally have one genre quest that loops frequently and gives you a recharge token you can spend to get all your Do Stuff points back, one optional project quest when you're trying to Do Big Magic Stuff or otherwise something that will take time, and one arc quest, which is how character growth happens.

What I can tell you is: anybody who made it out of the apocalypse made it out because they could still wish. Even if you start out ordinary your arc quests can get you to Do Magic Stuff pretty frequently.

What I can tell you is: HEARTS DARKNESS FRIENDSHIP I mean you have these things called "Bonds" and they make everything you do easier when you're following them and you get XP if they make things difficult for you. Anyway they can be to people or philosophical principles or whatever, but more than that, all these wishing people living together make the places they live into what they wish they could be, and as a result places have properties which act like Bonds to everyone who's there.

What I can tell you is: here are the properties of Soma Village, a farming village on the edge of Outside, in the shadow of Kalias Mantra's peak:
    • Truth arises from mystery, but the mystery remains.
    • This moment is like no other moment. It is NOW.
    • Go and look, and you will see the vastness of the world.
    • Go and look, and you will see events and landscapes staged for you.
    • The world is showing you the pieces of your heart.
    • Enchantments and spiritual forces haunt you.
    • You may find peace with your misfortunes.
    • You are at risk of becoming a legend, or a god.

Glazius on
  • Options

Unknown Armies 3rd or Nights Black Agents are both neat urban fantasy stuff but far more focused on horror and secret society stuff than what you’re looking for.

yeah, i guess "play as elves and orcs while doing some Heat shit" isn't as huge of a market as i want it to be.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I mean, are the elves and orcs anything more than cosmetic for you? Couldn't you just say, "Yeah my character is real strong 'cause she's an orc, deal with it"?

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

yeah, i guess "play as elves and orcs while doing some Heat shit" isn't as huge of a market as i want it to be.

I think it's a market.

Just one where 90% of the niche is taken up by Shadowrun.

• Options
    depends on the rule set and or setting. they don't have to be huge different.

In Genesys the main difference between the "strong human" and "orc" in the core rule book is not a lot. though orcs get like a build in battle rage ability, that the human doesn't get. i think strong human, and dwarf have one of the same abilities, but dwarves have dark vision.

so, no it doesn't have to be like lotr level elves and stuff, but some distinction would be nice. but that's something if there is a good enough modern rpg you could retrofit stuff into.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think you could easily set something up with Chronicles of Darkness or Mutants and Masterminds there, but I suppose neither is specifically designed for that. I've seen a few "Shadowrun themed" Blades in the Dark hacks that could work, and there's some other cyberpunk stuff that you could pretty easily scale back to modernity.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah the CofD and M&M systems would work, Genesys would work, (probably best? Unisystem and all) GURPS would work...

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    DMing Dungeon World this saturday. I'm excited! Got some big ideas of what might happen, but trying to leave enough spaces for the players to invent something different

This turned out well, I think everyone had a good time. Had a moment of miscommunication that resulted in a deity/devil creation.

(The wounded child muttered the word "Cellar", before passing out
    "Do I know of this Seel Arr character?"
    Sounds like a spout lore roll to me.

So yeah, I got to create a midboss devil for the party to defeat at the midway mark.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

This turned out well, I think everyone had a good time. Had a moment of miscommunication that resulted in a deity/devil creation.

So yeah, I got to create a midboss devil for the party to defeat at the midway mark.

Seel Arr, That Lies Beneath The House.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Seel Arr Dorr, said to be the most beautiful name in Infernal.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Se'el Arr, The Crumbling Foundation, The Dark Under the Stairs, The Closet Monster, the Demon of Home and Hearth, Despoiler of Wholesome Safety, Verminfather and Child-Thief! He is the crack widening in the plaster, the hairy crawling feeling on your neck as you turn your back on a darkened hallway, the creeping sensation that you get even when you should feel safest, the Patient Watcher that waits for the bonds of the home to fray and weaken until he can snap them and devour the love that was.

Edit: with demon stories often serving as a metaphor for domestic violence, substance abuse, etc, it makes sense thematically as well that there should be a single demon whose domain is destroying homes and feeding on the emotional turmoil there. Hmmm... Dash in a little Overlook Hotel... Hmmmmm... Another rpg scenario I'll never play or run! *Chef kiss*

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Gonna be running Ryuutama as One-Shot in 2 weeks. I've got the book shipping in, and am scanning through the pdf. It sounds fun, and I'm hoping local folk sign up. Players from today's session definitely seemed eager /interested.
    Any folk have any experience with the game, know what stuff/rules I should really focus on?

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I do truly love the idea of common gods, the gods of the small and every day. The little gods that make the world run, that had to be invented to make man's world make sense to the spirits that suddenly inhabited it. Men had new doors, new entryways, different from the caves and hollows of trees, and these new doors needed new gods!

Like, oh he's the god of bakers and bread. Not the harvest and bounty and fertility or whatever. Baking. And there's a demon of mold! This is the god of coins and money changing and the demon of counterfeit and fraud, this is the god of kettles and cooking. Each thing has a spirit and those spirits have names, and each of those spirits an opposite force. Balance in all things. Unless there is not, and then things get hinky! Potholes in roads that never get fixed even when they're filled every few months. Doors that never hang quite right no matter what you do. The squeaky hinge. Everyday demons.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Gonna be running Ryuutama as One-Shot in 2 weeks. I've got the book shipping in, and am scanning through the pdf. It sounds fun, and I'm hoping local folk sign up. Players from today's session definitely seemed eager /interested.
    Any folk have any experience with the game, know what stuff/rules I should really focus on?

yessssssssssssssssssss. I adore Ryuutama so I am always stoked to see more people play it (and if you look in the back of the book you'll spot my name at a fairly high backer level xD)

first thing to note is to really read how the journey rules work, and then try and use them as quickly as possible. you 100% don't want each day of travel to just be rolling some dice and that's it. Every day should have some sort of little story happen. They meet another person on the road. They find some mushrooms to pick and run into a creature to watch/befriend/fight. Someone hurts themselves or falls down a hill and needs help. Any little thing to make each day special and fun.

Really focus on ensuring your players make characters that are fun, not 'effective'! Combat is meant to be uncommon (except in a Red Ryujin campaign) and not too scary, so it's more important that they have fun with every other aspect of the game! Print out the page for each class and hand them out to players (including the artwork for each class if you like) to help them see all their abilities and the theme of them etc.

Read the rules for items and gear several times over. Especially take note of how containers work! Also I am not sure if they fixed it for later releases but I think one of the kits the players can buy has a mistake and has the wrong type of backpack in it? I can't remember which one, but check those. Afaik it's the only significant mistake in the book, which is nice for a TTRPG for once haha.

Remember to use your Ryujin's powers! This is really easy to forget! When you make your Ryujin, treat it like making a player character. Develop a backstory, a personality, get attached to the character so that you remember to involve it in the story. Not too involved mind you, but enough that you don't forget about your benedictions and suchlike!

Anzekay on
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    D&D Last night was a blast as always. After a year the combat finally gets a bit more speedy as everyone remembers their options and dice better.

We had a fun little situation that was probably mostly planned for my firbolg druid but was completely taken over by my wife's Warlock.

I saw a flying snake following us. The dragonborn bard wanted to catch and sell it. I had the wrong spells prepared as always but the warlock had the beast speech invocation for fluff/backstory reasons. So we helped clean up a desecrated forest shrine and she got herself a new familiar/companion/pet.

In two days we have session 1 of our side game, where I DM. Session 0 was quite good, we established the chars and main backstory. Then we even had time to do a "practise combat" for the one new player. They definitely noticed that they have nobody who can tank a few hits, so I'm interested to see how they approach combat from now on.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

Seel Arr, That Lies Beneath The House.

Defier of cyclones

Who dwells in the foundation

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Se'el Arr has a demonic associate named Baasmenndt.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Se'el Arr has a demonic associate named Baasmenndt.

In a constant battle against A'Tique the Overseer

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    (5e shit)

I've been dinking around with blade warlocks and have come to realize that they're missing a couple key invocations.

I want something that lets me have a second pact weapon, and something that lets me summon my weapon as a free action. Otherwise I have to go and do some bullshit to get some proper DMC bladelock action going, and that's no good at all.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Doobh wrote: »
    (5e shit)

I've been dinking around with blade warlocks and have come to realize that they're missing a couple key invocations.

I want something that lets me have a second pact weapon, and something that lets me summon my weapon as a free action. Otherwise I have to go and do some bullshit to get some proper DMC bladelock action going, and that's no good at all.

I'm taking note of this for my future houserules

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    (5e shit)

both of those invocations would have to come with something a little extra, because alone they're a little week

I would also suggest a 'duplicate pact weapon' invocation for dual wielders

and possibly something that lets you transform magic weapons you've made into a pact weapon into a whole different weapon, but with the same (where applicable) bonuses

basically, I think bladelocks should be a lot more like Devil May Cry and Bayonetta

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    This morning I realized that a three-level dip into 'Fiend/Blade Pact' Warlock is a better way to simulate Wolverine's healing factor than my previous build using six levels of 'Battlerager' Barbarian.

So instead of a previous build of:
    Mountain Dwarf ‘Battlerager’ Barbarian 6/’Spell-less’ ‘Revised’ Ranger 2/Fighter 2 with the Outlander background

I'd approach it perhaps like:
    Hill Dwarf 'Scout Rogue 5/'Spell-less’ ‘Revised’ Ranger 2/'Fiend Pact of the Blade' Warlock 3 with the Outlander background.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    I got the duplicate pact weapon idea from thinking about the stupid ruling against dual-wielding hand crossbows (I will never let this go) since it's functionally the same as wielding one hand crossbow, but slightly worse since you're enchanting two different weapons instead of one

then I realized "well, shit, what if I could summon two and fire away while bolts float up into and phase into a firing position as fast as I pull the trigger"

warlock shit can be a LOT cooler, is all I'm sayin'

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Anzekay wrote: »
    (5e shit)

both of those invocations would have to come with something a little extra, because alone they're a little week

I would also suggest a 'duplicate pact weapon' invocation for dual wielders

and possibly something that lets you transform magic weapons you've made into a pact weapon into a whole different weapon, but with the same (where applicable) bonuses

basically, I think bladelocks should be a lot more like Devil May Cry and Bayonetta

I was kinda thinking of them being combined together for the same Invocation to be honest.