As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Good Place] Like a Wave Returning to the Ocean

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Chidi's choice
    knows that the long game is open here. He has full belief that time will bring himself back to elenor, and he has infinite time. What is sacrificing some small unit of that infinite resource if it increases their odds of success? It's beautiful in a way, his trust in their love. but man is it super shitty for elenor.

It also shows a ton of growth in his character.

A choice like this would have paralyzed the original Chidi. He could never have made a decision. He would have become paralyzed by indecision. This was super hard for him (as it would be for anyone), but he made the decision and went through with it.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Chidi's choice
    knows that the long game is open here. He has full belief that time will bring himself back to elenor, and he has infinite time. What is sacrificing some small unit of that infinite resource if it increases their odds of success? It's beautiful in a way, his trust in their love. but man is it super shitty for elenor.

A choice like this would have paralyzed the original Chidi. He could never have made a decision. He would have become paralyzed by indecision. This was super hard for him (as it would be for anyone), but he made the decision and went through with it.
    And now all that growth is gone :(

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Chidi's choice

And now all that growth is gone :(

Their growth has gone like 3 times on screen, they always end up back where they were. The current versions aren't in any way different to the original versions despite having had completely different experiences for the most part. I imagine the final season will be about getting
    Chidi back up to where he was since the new version will almost certainly argue that Eleanor's Chidi is effectively dead.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    The way is now clear for
    Elehani? Tahanor? Skyscraper Smokeshow?

• Options
    mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I wonder how long it takes until one of the new guests realizes that it's not really the good place.

Season 4 premier?

But it's not the bad place; they're not deliberately and actively being tortured in subtle ways. Without a point of comparison and without explicit torture going on. the thing that would throw a spanner in the works is if they questioned imperfections in the model - but we've had imperfections before and for a long time Eleanor just took that as being a new Architect not quite getting things right.

Don't forget they've also sown the seeds of a separate Evil Michael in the last-but-one episode; that was quietly ignored during this one, but he's on the cards as well... unless that was just to trigger Michael's breakdown?

Edit: And just to bring my argument around in a circle, something I've just twigged: This isn't officially the Bad Place, but what was the original premise of the neighbourhood? Four people carefully selected to torture one another. What's the premise of the new neighbourhood, given the Bad Place's goals? Four people carefully selected to torture the original four people. Shawn is now doing a slightly modified version of Michael's original plan! It's not officially the Bad Place, but it's actually modelled very similarly to the original Bad Place neighbourhood. Yet, in amongst all that, it's not clear if there's a mechanism for the new folk to torture each other. If there is, Shawn's just reimplemented the original idea but at double the capacity and using no demons.

He might get promoted for that sort of efficiency!

Edit2: Unless Evil Michael is already switched in? Now that's something I hadn't contemplated. And then his breakdown becomes part of The Plan.

mattclem on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    This show, man. It's the best. I was not expecting it to end on such a resonating note for me.
    Chidi and Eleanor having that last conversation in the season finale had a lot of uncomfortable parallels with conversations that I had with my late wife after she was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer. Eleanor and Janet's conversation reminded me of things that I thought during the period immediately after her death. It made me recall Ann Druyan talking about Carl Sagan after his death:
    “When my husband died, because he was so famous & known for not being a believer, many people would come up to me — it still sometimes happens — & ask me if Carl changed at the end & converted to a belief in an afterlife. They also frequently ask me if I think I will see him again. Carl faced his death with unflagging courage & never sought refuge in illusions. The tragedy was that we knew we would never see each other again. I don’t ever expect to be reunited with Carl. But, the great thing is that when we were together, for nearly twenty years, we lived with a vivid appreciation of how brief & precious life is. We never trivialized the meaning of death by pretending it was anything other than a final parting. Every single moment that we were alive & we were together was miraculous — not miraculous in the sense of inexplicable or supernatural. We knew we were beneficiaries of chance… That pure chance could be so generous & so kind… That we could find each other, as Carl wrote so beautifully in Cosmos, you know, in the vastness of space & the immensity of time… That we could be together for twenty years. That is something which sustains me & it’s much more meaningful…

The way he treated me & the way I treated him, the way we took care of each other & our family, while he lived. That is so much more important than the idea I will see him someday. I don’t think I’ll ever see Carl again. But I saw him. We saw each other. We found each other in the cosmos, and that was wonderful.“

Jeremy Bearimy, baby. (which is the first thing that shows up in my autocomplete after typing Jeremy)

Also, I highly recommend giving the podcast a listen, in general. Maybe during the off-season while you are waiting for the show to come back? But the most recent podcast about the season finale was especially good, featuring Micheal Schur and Ted Danson.

EDIT: Spoiler tagging

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    This show, man. It's the best. I was not expecting it to end on such a resonating note for me.
    Chidi and Eleanor having that last conversation in the season finale had a lot of uncomfortable parallels with conversations that I had with my late wife after she was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer. Eleanor and Janet's conversation reminded me of things that I thought during the period immediately after her death. It made me recall Ann Druyan talking about Carl Sagan after his death:
    “When my husband died, because he was so famous & known for not being a believer, many people would come up to me — it still sometimes happens — & ask me if Carl changed at the end & converted to a belief in an afterlife. They also frequently ask me if I think I will see him again. Carl faced his death with unflagging courage & never sought refuge in illusions. The tragedy was that we knew we would never see each other again. I don’t ever expect to be reunited with Carl. But, the great thing is that when we were together, for nearly twenty years, we lived with a vivid appreciation of how brief & precious life is. We never trivialized the meaning of death by pretending it was anything other than a final parting. Every single moment that we were alive & we were together was miraculous — not miraculous in the sense of inexplicable or supernatural. We knew we were beneficiaries of chance… That pure chance could be so generous & so kind… That we could find each other, as Carl wrote so beautifully in Cosmos, you know, in the vastness of space & the immensity of time… That we could be together for twenty years. That is something which sustains me & it’s much more meaningful…

The way he treated me & the way I treated him, the way we took care of each other & our family, while he lived. That is so much more important than the idea I will see him someday. I don’t think I’ll ever see Carl again. But I saw him. We saw each other. We found each other in the cosmos, and that was wonderful.“

Jeremy Bearimy, baby. (which is the first thing that shows up in my autocomplete after typing Jeremy)

Also, I highly recommend giving the podcast a listen, in general. Maybe during the off-season while you are waiting for the show to come back? But the most recent podcast about the season finale was especially good, featuring Micheal Schur and Ted Danson.

What's the podcast called?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

What's the podcast called?

https://www.nbc.com/the-good-place/exclusives/tgp-podcast

The incredibly mundane-sounding "The Good Place: The Podcast". :D On Apple and Stitcher, too.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Awesome thanks!

• Options
    I also loved the bit when they were talking about the number of residents. That seems like a callback to the fans out there of the show who hunt down the numerology of The Good Place, trying to find any scrap or hint of a secret joke or Easter Egg in there.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    322 is also an esports joke, as some people were paid $322 to throw a match once

• Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    Man, I should not have watched that finale at my desk over lunch. I was prepared to hold back the laughs, I was not ready for the gut punch.

So this was the season finale, and there's always a break between seasons, which means the new season starts in two weeks, right? Right?

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    They should have just told the new characters that they're in the medium place and watched too see if they decided to become better people or stay content at medium level.

• Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    I keep coming back to how “I am a legit snack” is one of the best lines written in television history.

• Options
    Tach wrote: »
    I keep coming back to how “I am a legit snack” is one of the best lines written in television history.

The delivery sold it so hard.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    This show has turned the good place into the best
    romantic comedy in tv history

Like. So good. And I really wasn’t on board with that shipping up to this point that much

616610-1.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019

Yeah, the line is solid, but there are only like a dozen actors who could deliver it properly.

It's weird how 6 of them are all on The Good Place, though.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Yeah, the line is solid, but there are only like a dozen actors who could deliver it properly.

It's weird how 6 of them are all on The Good Place, though.

10. Not including Trevor, Shawn, Judge or Derek! is a travesty.

Cause, come on. All four of them could pull off "I'm a legit snack." and get a genuine laugh.

It's legit amazing how strong not just the initial casting, but the guest/recurring casting is.

Though I'm still in awe at how three of the main cast (four if you include D'Arcy), who were relatively obscure prior to this, have all just hit it completely out of the park. I mean, you expect it from Bell and Danson, but I've yet to have a single actor have a proper sour note, and that's just so awesome.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Jeremy Bearimy, baby.

/sobs uncontrollably

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Jeremy Bearimy, baby.

/sobs uncontrollably

Just reading the dialogue of that scene, there are at least 3 lines that should ruin the emotional impact of the scene but they don't, and that's amazing.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Piotyr wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Jeremy Bearimy, baby.

/sobs uncontrollably

Just reading the dialogue of that scene, there are at least 3 lines that should ruin the emotional impact of the scene but they don't, and that's amazing.

'That's my birthday'

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Hey it turns out Kristen Bell is pretty good at being in TV shows. If you did not know this, go watch Veronica Mars. Like, now.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Do you hear that phone ringing? Because I fucking called it!

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Hey it turns out Kristen Bell is pretty good at being in TV shows. If you did not know this, go watch Veronica Mars. Like, now.

Where does one do that?

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    It was on Amazon Prime a couple years back. At the moment it isn't on any of the subscription services (just the rental/purchase ones) but is coming to Hulu this year in advance of the new season.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    At least we have the comfort that it will all be off the rails by the end of ep 2 next season if past seasons are any indication.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Where does one do that?

It might still be up on Verizon's go90 service, which is free, but has an absolutely garbage UI and player.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I fell behind for a while but got caught up right to the end of season 3. That was heavy duty, and I didn't expect the show to be able to get that reaction. Damn the writers of this :(

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

Where does one do that?

It might still be up on Verizon's go90 service, which is free, but has an absolutely garbage UI and player.

According to the internet, Verizon killed off go90 like 6 months ago.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Hey wow, Australia is actually doing alright at the moment in one particular thing, I've just watched all 3 seasons of Veronica Mars on Stan!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Where does one do that?

According to the internet, Verizon killed off go90 like 6 months ago.

On the one hand, that's bad if that was the only place to legitimately stream VM. On the other,VM and B5 were the only worthwhile things on that service, so I'm not terribly surprised.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Sometimes, things come full circle (season 3 finale spoiler):
    DyQH6E4XcAE1lIM.jpg:large

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    That's cute, but Chidi is the one throwing the switch, not Eleanor.

Did this show definitevly answer the trolley problem?

Veevee on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    The Trolley episode was hands-down the funniest episode.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Piotyr wrote: »
    Sometimes, things come full circle (season 3 finale spoiler):
    DyQH6E4XcAE1lIM.jpg:large

Michael was right

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    My daughter is 5, we were looking for things to watch, saw this thing called the Electric Company on HBO in the kids section and figured it would be good since she's learning to read and it seemed to focus on words and letters.

When all of a sudden
    Surprise Chidi!
    MV5BNjgxODgzNTkwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTI0MDg5MjE@._V1_.jpg

I definitely did a double take and it made the show pretty hilarious watching his early career in something like this.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    My daughter is 5, we were looking for things to watch, saw this thing called the Electric Company on HBO in the kids section and figured it would be good since she's learning to read and it seemed to focus on words and letters.

When all of a sudden
    Surprise Chidi!

I definitely did a double take and it made the show pretty hilarious watching his early career in something like this.

Hello new avatar!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    They are doing some Brooklyn 99 episodes of The Good Place podcast. Still hosted by Marc Evan Jackson and now he gets to say "I play Kevin" instead.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    They are doing some Brooklyn 99 episodes of The Good Place podcast. Still hosted by Marc Evan Jackson and now he gets to say "I play Kevin" instead.

The first one was great, really fun to hear more about that show too.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

When all of a sudden
    Surprise Chidi!

Okay, if I’m reading this correctly, I feel old.