As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• BigPointyTeethBigPointyTeeth run away! run away! MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Well, thanks to being sick, I missed game day this past weekend. Apparently, I missed a game of Betrayal at House on the Hill that lasted all of four turns.

Since I was stuck at home, a new game day is planned! Only a few of us will be making it this time, so we'll be able to get out some games that top out at lower player counts.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    jergarmar wrote: »
    So I've played Food Chain Magnate a couple of more times, and I hold even stronger to my initial impression, that it's got a great learning curve. I just really enjoy showing it to new players, and after someone has played it once, there are just so few rules questions. And people ask for it again, even those who (like my wife) aren't normally into longer games. I do have a couple of caveats, that if anyone is new I really don't prefer to play it with 4 or 5, and I will always pre-pick the $100 Reserve cards on a first game. But it might be my favorite 3-player game, though I still quite like it with 2.

Maybe I haven't played enough games, but I am hard-pressed to think of a similarly "heavy" game with such a simple ruleset. Or perhaps not that simple, but easy to grasp? Outside of abstract games, of course. Euro games sometimes have fairly simple rules, but their systems are often not very clear, favoring instead a kind of internal streamlined logic in the pursuit of abstract points, at the expense of intuitive play. Don't get me wrong, I love me some optimization puzzles, but FCM is highlighting a kind of gameplay that I want more of.

So, any suggestions for heavier non-abstract games with really streamlined rulesets? I'm all ears.

I would look at other Splotter games. Even Antiquity, which looks like a massive fuckoff game, only has an 11-page rulebook.

Splotter games are so good. I love Roads & Boats.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Antiquity has my favourite rulebook ever. The first page quite explicitly tells you that, as new players, you should probably not play with pollution as it's likely you'll all wind up unable to win the game. :P

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Well, thanks to being sick, I missed game day this past weekend. Apparently, I missed a game of Betrayal at House on the Hill that lasted all of four turns.

Since I was stuck at home, a new game day is planned! Only a few of us will be making it this time, so we'll be able to get out some games that top out at lower player counts.

I've had Betrayal games like that. Our group has a houserule that you don't roll for haunts until after the 3rd omen card.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Bought Direwild because I thought my wife might like it as it superficially resembles Pokemon, and we tried it out tonight.

A+ flavor, would command poisonous birds to attack a skeleton wizard while my wife tanks it again. Mechanically? Not amazing, but solid, and it does a nice thing with escalating difficulty by levels it lets you save between. It's a relatively simple co-op (avoid bad guys until you have a good deck / hand, then fight bad guys) but complicated enough for me and simple / flavorful enough for her.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Got the Darkest Night DLC for Tabletop Simulator for $3.50 on the steam sale.

It's....not that great? Maybe it gets better if you play it more, but right now it seems like Eldritch Horror with half the depth for over twice the price. ($135? seriously?)

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    The amount of punchboards in New Frontiers absolutely bonkers. Game looks like it's going to be great. Going to try it out tonight.

• jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    Was looking at Splotter games from recommendations here... it's quite the rabbit hole. Each game feels massive and unique. For most games in the hobby, there's just a lot of overlap between them, so if I (for example) enjoy a simple worker-placement game, there's an escalating scale of games that take certain ideas and flesh them out more and more.

But with Splotter games, there's certain commonalities between them, but they have this... irreducible complexity, perhaps? These integrated systems that just don't have analogies in simpler games. I've been asking for recommendations on and off for years, but I don't ever remember being told, "Oh, you like this kind of game? You should try this Splotter game." But this thread is not the first time that I've seen a Splotter game recommended in response to another Splotter game. And I'm beginning to see why: it's an amazing collection of games. Each one is a significant investment (in all meanings of the term), so it's a bit daunting, but many of them have decent online implementations, so I'll definitely be trying a few out.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • BigPointyTeethBigPointyTeeth run away! run away! MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Has anyone played SpaceCorp? I have it coming on Monday, and am thinking of bringing it next weekend.

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Was looking at Splotter games from recommendations here... it's quite the rabbit hole. Each game feels massive and unique. For most games in the hobby, there's just a lot of overlap between them, so if I (for example) enjoy a simple worker-placement game, there's an escalating scale of games that take certain ideas and flesh them out more and more.

But with Splotter games, there's certain commonalities between them, but they have this... irreducible complexity, perhaps? These integrated systems that just don't have analogies in simpler games. I've been asking for recommendations on and off for years, but I don't ever remember being told, "Oh, you like this kind of game? You should try this Splotter game." But this thread is not the first time that I've seen a Splotter game recommended in response to another Splotter game. And I'm beginning to see why: it's an amazing collection of games. Each one is a significant investment (in all meanings of the term), so it's a bit daunting, but many of them have decent online implementations, so I'll definitely be trying a few out.

I own Food Chain Magnate and one of my friends owns Indonesia. They're extremely different, but they are similar insofar as they're both huge economic sandboxes with component design that's passable at best. (One printing of Indonesia messed up the size of the wooden components so that they are basically useless, being far larger than the board areas they're supposed to be used to mark.)

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

I own Food Chain Magnate and one of my friends owns Indonesia. They're extremely different, but they are similar insofar as they're both huge economic sandboxes with component design that's passable at best. (One printing of Indonesia messed up the size of the wooden components so that they are basically useless, being far larger than the board areas they're supposed to be used to mark.)

It's funny, I thought I cared more about component design. I also thought I wouldn't be able to play FCM much because of its weight and length. Both have proved completely incorrect for me, as its unique strengths have rocketed it to the top of my collection. But this is merely a counterpoint to the complaint about the component design, I certainly don't dispute that a lot of games look a lot nicer.

jergarmar on
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Ooh, the new Millennium Blades expansion (Collusion) is up on Kickstarter. There's a bunch of gameplay tweaks coming in it, like how the Core set is no longer shuffled into the Store deck. It's a separate deck you can buy the top card off of during Deckbuilding. That makes things vastly easier to shuffle, set up, and store. Booster Packs are now three cards off both the Core deck and the Store deck.

Cards removed from the game (like from being sold as a collection or mailed away for promos) are put into the discard pile instead now.

Card Fusion no longer burns Sell Markers. If a promo set runs out, you replace it with a new set of the same type.

Money no longer gives VP's at the end of the game, there's NPC's now that give quests with objectives for VP's. (There's a example of one who has a quest for 5 cards of the same non-CORE rarity for 2 VP.)

There's also a new Team Mode, where you can play as a 2v2, 3v3, or 2v2v2 game. (There's a extra player board for six-player games.) You don't use character powers in that mode, there's special Team Powers you get instead. There's also a special Team Power if you want to run 3 or 5 player games for the single-person team.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

It's funny, I thought I cared more about component design. I also thought I wouldn't be able to play FCM much because of its weight and length. Both have proved completely incorrect for me, as its unique strengths have rocketed it to the top of my collection. But this is merely a counterpoint to the complaint about the component design, I certainly don't dispute that a lot of games look a lot nicer.

Oh, yeah, I didn't mean to imply that Food Chain Magnate isn't incredible. It's quite possibly my favorite game (although that might be skewed by the fact that I don't get to play it very often). But the components don't feel much better than a nice prototype. Indonesia, on the other hand...after you buy the game, you then need to buy a set of generic cubes or something in order to actually play the game as the components in the box aren't usable. But it's still a great game, even with that ridiculous caveat.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Decided for smaller games for my Tuesday game. Sushi Go Party, Welcome To (your perfect home) and Code Names. We should be able to get multiple games of each in.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Got the Darkest Night DLC for Tabletop Simulator for $3.50 on the steam sale.

It's....not that great? Maybe it gets better if you play it more, but right now it seems like Eldritch Horror with half the depth for over twice the price. ($135? seriously?)

Sheesh. After finishing only one game, I don't feel any desire to try this again. It's not even a lite version of Eldritch Horror. It feels like the same amount of fiddliness (or even moreso!) but a lot less depth.

• GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Got a chance to play the Feast for Odin expansion The Norwegians. Here's an unboxing video (not by me) so you can see all the new components:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4r5rhgKOJw

Things that aren't obvious from that but are still great:
    • You start with a two-sided "artisan shed" tile in your reserve. You build it like a shed and can pick either side. Widens up the start of the game a bit.
    • The herbs/pigs/antlers/tools take up 5 squares; they're a 2x3 with a notch, which makes it super-easy to surround bonus spaces.
    • Some spaces take multiple kinds of weapon cards; catching fish, hunting elk, and pulling up to port in a trade ship then jumping out with all the weapons. Much easier to shed extras.
    • When you could play an occupation card you can instead discard it for the top of a stack of dwindling VP tiles. Two 4s on top, eight or so 3s, then 2s. Deals with "unwanted" occupations easier; there's also a 1-column to discard an occupation and take 2 silver or draw 3.
    • You play with four new islands which flip over into smoother-edged cities; with 3 and 4 players you add 2 or 4 of the old islands too.

Everything about this expansion was a blast. The original game was great, too, but felt a little experimental - this just feels like a straight-up refinement.

• AetherAether Registered User regular
    We’ve (me, my wife, and a friend) just finished our 11th game of Seafall.

We’re loving it. I know this game got a lot of hate on release, but I’m not seeing it, although at higher play counts I could see it slowing down.
    Up to box 5 spoilers
    Uncovering Ker made raiding and trading a lot more difficult, so exploring was more important. I pieced together a Treasure Map while my wife set up finding the island of Arcadia. OMG the light of truth, and now we’re interrogating everyone. Enmity has been reduced at Patmos to the point where taking over Ker is a possibility. AND now there are a lot of milestones.

I love it

I was at a really nice game store with my wife yesterday and she bought two games she was excited about, which never happens. She likes playing games but she's not one to generally research and buy games on her own yknow. So this afternoon we going to play Ganz Schon Clever and Quacks of Quedlinberg and I'm pretty into it!

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Whilst walking through Waterstones today I saw Monopoly Fortnite edition.

So what I’m saying is I’m off to seek the cold embrace of the deep sea now, it was nice knowing you.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    I saw Monopoly Warhammer 40k yesterday which made me laugh

• Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    For me, Monopoly Pizza Game is the most nausea inducing of the recent releases.

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

I can actually see how that could work.

edited February 2019
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Relic?

ArcticLancer on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Played Western Legends yesterday. Since I had to be an outlaw (my choices were Jesse James or Billy the Kid) I tried to live that outlaw life. Turns out, getting LP each turn is really good. I got up to Outlaw 7, which is 3 LP per turn, before someone arrested me. I was close enough to win outright a few turns later.

Then we played Seven Wonders, which continues to impress our group with its elegance, and Villainous, which is fun but very luck-dependent.

Quacks: an overly dressed up coin flip, but a very very fun one. I'd wholeheartedly recommend it for $20, for full boardgame price it's maybe a harder sell.

Ganz: a very good roll and write with fun combo turns. It's like qwixx turned up to 11. Easy recommendation if you like the style of game.

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    We played boardgames with my aunt adn uncle who introduced me to modern boardgaming twenty years ago. We played quacks, flamme rouge and Carcassonne.

Quacks: We played quacks twice because it was a new addition. It is really light. We all had fun guestimating the percentages white beans and other ingredients inside the pouch and debating if someone should pull another ingredient.

Flamme Rouge: it was a foto finish.

Carcassonne: old but very good. We played vanilla Carcassonne. It was a close game. Everyone trying to get in on someone else's big city or grass.

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Ad many of you know I got a third shift printing of pandemic legacy season 1. Just low quality, and sometimes missing proper instructions about opening boxes. I have a legit copy of risk legacy, but we had a mistake in our version. The 30+ troops and 3 missLe boxed were swapped ! So we got spoiled on some stuff details in spoilers
    Do I had been excited about the potential to open the play 3 misssle son a single turn box since I was starting with 3. I finally got to pip it when I played one, followed by my dad, followed by me. So we open the box and see aliens!

I get hyped. I start to read the cards and notice it says the player placing 30 troops is the alien conspirator. This keyed me off right away so I opened the other box, and sure enough, it's mutants.

Really surprised this was messed up in a retail copy of the game

Quration about a rule change
    Missle powers.
    On my turn after opening the box, I bought a star , and took over 2 hq's. Does that count as earning a star to add a missile power?

my family has messed up and let me pigeon hoke in Australia then get into asia, but with the new scar cards, they may take away my starting strategy for 7 games now.

Carcassonne: old but very good. We played vanilla Carcassonne. It was a close game. Everyone trying to get in on someone else's big city or grass.

It's strange, something has soured for me concerning Carcassonne, and it's not overexposure. I've really expanded my selection of 30-60 minute games, but I just never want to play this one anymore. Maybe the draw-and-play? Maybe the pacing is too slow? But anyway, I feel like it's finally showing its age. Still a good game, but I find myself usually recommending clever card games instead (e.g. Arboretum, Dominion; or the even simpler No Thanks!, For Sale, Red7), or clever abstracts (e.g. Azul, Patchwork).

My BoardGameGeek profile
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Maybe the draw-and-play?
    I forget that this is actually what the rules say to do. I haven't played that way since maybe the first ever time I tried it. There's just no good reason not to draw after you play, and begin planning your next turn.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    edited February 2019
    Oh sure, but my issue is not WHEN the tile is drawn, but the draw-one-play-one. The tile is sometimes just not very exciting to play. Not to compare the games overall, but for that specific kind of game action, Ra has a similar kind of single-tile micro-turn, but I find Ra vastly more interesting.

jergarmar on
    My BoardGameGeek profile
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular

It's strange, something has soured for me concerning Carcassonne, and it's not overexposure. I've really expanded my selection of 30-60 minute games, but I just never want to play this one anymore. Maybe the draw-and-play? Maybe the pacing is too slow? But anyway, I feel like it's finally showing its age. Still a good game, but I find myself usually recommending clever card games instead (e.g. Arboretum, Dominion; or the even simpler No Thanks!, For Sale, Red7), or clever abstracts (e.g. Azul, Patchwork).

When someone was teaching us vanilla Carcassone IRL, he deliberately left out Farmers. Is that really the case? He blew my mind.

Maybe it was for the best. I can't fathom scoring farms, and have never seen it done outside of digital editions.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

When someone was teaching us vanilla Carcassone IRL, he deliberately left out Farmers. Is that really the case? He blew my mind.

Maybe it was for the best. I can't fathom scoring farms, and have never seen it done outside of digital editions.

It's really not that hard, you start keeping track of it after the first person lays down a farmer. You just kind of "paint bucket tool" in your mind, and generally it's not too complicated because either a field is already closed off, or you can only get in on that action with a corner placement, much like any aggressive city play.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The only issue with farm scoring is that they’ve silently changed it over the editions and sometimes people don’t realise they were all playing different rules until the end.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    Carcassonne is still my favorite game. I just wish they still made it in the original art. I don't like that the newest expansion looks like crap when mixed with my other stuff.

Other tile laying game news:
    The "Druids" expansion for Isle of Skye is really good. I didn't care for the "Journeyman" expansion that added too much point salad nonsense for my taste.

Someone gave me the Giants Expansion for KingDomino. I haven't tried it yet. It seems like it just adds a take that component to an otherwise friendly game.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Oh, Wavelength is finally up on Kickstarter

It's a party game where you draw a spectrum (like good-evil) and then come up with a concept to locate on it (like Robin hood). That would be all done and dandy except the way you determine where on the spectrum the concept lies is by turning a radio dial

After being clear for almost a year I broke and backed it

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    I saw that and was interested, but it seems like worth simply waiting for it to hit retail? The game is cheap-ish, but shipping was another 50% of the base price. Like, it seems cool and all, but not $60CDN cool.

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

One's timeless classic is another's old and busted :D
    If it was up to me we would have played sidereal confluence or terraforming mars. My uncle always wants to try stuff out, like mechs vs minions etc. But my aunt wants to stick to the games she knows or light new games.
    Dominion is definitely one of her favourites and I think it was due to it being the end of the evening that we chose Carcassonne. And dominion was up on the attic and Carcassonne was downstairs because we played it with our son (7) a few days ago.

When we played with him, his eyes lit up when at the end of the game I told him we had an expansion which introduces a catapult.

We always play-and-draw so you can place your tile when your turn comes around. We are also shouting at each other to get on with it if it takes more than 2 seconds, just to try to get someone to misplace their tile.

Farm scoring is not that hard (we play without it with our son) and a good counter is to make lots of short roads with lots of intersection to stop big stretches of grass and big end of game point swings from forming.

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Oh, Wavelength is finally up on Kickstarter

It's a party game where you draw a spectrum (like good-evil) and then come up with a concept to locate on it (like Robin hood). That would be all done and dandy except the way you determine where on the spectrum the concept lies is by turning a radio dial

After being clear for almost a year I broke and backed it

I'm real tempted to back it.
    We've gotten a TON of mileage out of Monikers with the family, so something from the same designers is welcome. This seems even simpler, with some good payoff too!

This discussion has been closed.