As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Whatever happened to the [TV] Thread?

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    My favorite celebrity voice was Phil Hartman's.

After that? Probably Robert Stack.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The person with the voice that could almost sell me anything was Paul Harvey.

Too bad he was a piece of shit though.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    let's not forget Christopher Lee's amazing voice

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Gary Cole is a very underrated voice guy

It’s also very fun seeing Lake Bell make a movie about how much she loves voice acting and then start getting a lot more voice roles, she’s real good at it

6F32U1X.png
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    gary cole is great

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Ok 4 episodes into Russian Doll and I want to put my theory down before I go on
    This has something to do with water. They spawn in front of a sink with running water every time, the cat jumped in the water and disappeared, the ring was tossed in and disappeared, the fish are disappearing and the plant died. All water related

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Russian doll was so good, and the ending was so good

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Finally started up season 3 of The Americans. I'm curious as to what flavour of gut-wrenching tension it will serve up this time.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Well I was fucking wrong

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Production has begun on Shudder's first long-form original show, an anthology adaptation of Creepshow! Executive produced by Greg Nicotero (Walking Dead), the 6 episode season will feature an adaptation of a to-be-determined Stephen King story. Confirmed segments so far by writers include

"By the Silvery Waters of Lake Champlain" by Joe Hill (NOS4A2)
    "House of the Head" by Josh Malerman (Bird Box)
    "The Companion" by Joe Lansdale
    "The Man in the Suitcase" by Christopher Buehlman
    "All Hallows Eve" by Bruce Jones (The Hitchhiker)
    "Night of the Paw" by John Esposito
    "Bad Wolf Down" by Rob Schrab (Monster House)

Confirmed directors for segments include Nicotero, Schrab, David Bruckner ("The Accident" segment of Southbound), Roxanne Benjamin ("Siren" segment of Southbound and "Don't Fall" segment of XX), and John Harrison (Creepshow film)

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Well I was fucking wrong

Not to worry, I sort of was? Too?
    My midseason theory was that mirrors were the connection, not water, since both of the main characters started off in front of mirrors, and at one point the awful professor's mirror got busted and he remarked on it

I also had guessed that he was experiencing the same event given how he was less predictable at the party than everyone else was and was just spending it hacking his way into fucking everyone there (it was also conveniently answered how such a charmless schlubby guy was able to bang virtually everyone at that party - by going over and over again until he knew exactly what to say)

I proposed this to a friend who had seen the whole thing while I binged and he basically went hmmmm, the show doesn't disprove any of that, but...

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I wasn’t feeling well so I watched the first episode of the new True Detective season.

It did not make me feel better.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So...Supernatural aired its 300th episode a couple days ago. It was built largely around (casting spoilers!)
    the return of John Winchester. For those who can know longer remember -- possibly because they've grown old and turned to dust in the time the show has been on, failing to pass the information on to their descendants -- Jeffrey Dean Morgan hasn't physically appeared on the show since the end of Season 2. We are currently mid-Season 14.

I'm pretty sure this is also the first time Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Samantha Smith have been onscreen together since the pilot.

Jensen Ackles is now older than Jeffrey Dean Morgan was at the beginning of the show.

Oh, the episode also features (spoilered juuuust in case someone has decided to check the episode out and wants some surprises)
    an appearance by Zachariah, the amazing asshole antagonist angel played by Kurt Fuller in Seasons 4 and 5. His last appearance was back in the show's 100th episode.

If you're wondering whether the episode was actually good or not...it's a mixed bag. The weight of John/JDM coming back after such a long time helps carry some very nice scenes and moments. But there are also some significant missed opportunities.

kaceyp on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    The main theory I had when watching Russian Doll was
    Oatmeal. Nadia running to him is what lead to her first death, he vanishes on the bridge, and late into the loops there's that notable shot focusing on him at the deli. I also noticed the mirror hints, although that at least maintains symbolic value.

Having finished it I'm just happy with 'the cosmos did it'.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i am taking a teen movie break to watch one of my favorite chris gethard show episodes while i cook food

@straightzi @pooka if you ain't seen it

the royal rumble of twister:

https://youtu.be/9ZGCIVELzBw

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    gary cole is great

Bosco is one of @Janson’s favorite minor characters in Bob’s Burgers!

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Full disclosure theres very few characters I dislike on Bobs burgers. Bosco is easily in my top 3 favorites though.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Bob's burgers exists in a universe were people are mildly inconvenient at worst.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I've just started watching it for the first time this week and I love how the kids are just immediately on board for whatever dumb thing anybody suggests.

steam_sig.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

Documentary Now!, a mockumentary tv series, has put a two parter up on youtube as advertising for their next season.

edit- whoops, just wrangling the url.

Gvzbgul on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    kaceyp wrote: »
    So...Supernatural aired its 300th episode a couple days ago. It was built largely around (casting spoilers!)
    the return of John Winchester. For those who can know longer remember -- possibly because they've grown old and turned to dust in the time the show has been on, failing to pass the information on to their descendants -- Jeffrey Dean Morgan hasn't physically appeared on the show since the end of Season 2. We are currently mid-Season 14.

I'm pretty sure this is also the first time Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Samantha Smith have been onscreen together since the pilot.

Jensen Ackles is now older than Jeffrey Dean Morgan was at the beginning of the show.

Oh, the episode also features (spoilered juuuust in case someone has decided to check the episode out and wants some surprises)
    an appearance by Zachariah, the amazing asshole antagonist angel played by Kurt Fuller in Seasons 4 and 5. His last appearance was back in the show's 100th episode.

If you're wondering whether the episode was actually good or not...it's a mixed bag. The weight of John/JDM coming back after such a long time helps carry some very nice scenes and moments. But there are also some significant missed opportunities. Also, I'm bothered by stuff early in the episode:
    essentially two characters die in the episode, both within about the first 10-15 minutes. Both are black men. The second one is a teenager who is seemingly friends with several other teenagers hanging out in a group. He is murdered by a ghost when he's alone. He is the only person murdered by the ghost. He is never mentioned again by anyone, including during a scene where the other teenagers absorb the fact that Ghosts Are Real.

Fuck

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    incidentally, I am now older than the concept of broadcast television was when Supernatural started

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

If you're wondering whether the episode was actually good or not...it's a mixed bag. The weight of John/JDM coming back after such a long time helps carry some very nice scenes and moments. But there are also some significant missed opportunities. Also, I'm bothered by stuff early in the episode:
    essentially two characters die in the episode, both within about the first 10-15 minutes. Both are black men. The second one is a teenager who is seemingly friends with several other teenagers hanging out in a group. He is murdered by a ghost when he's alone. He is the only person murdered by the ghost. He is never mentioned again by anyone, including during a scene where the other teenagers absorb the fact that Ghosts Are Real.
    It's kind of annoying that if people wanted to avoid spoilers, that's the screencap in the CW app.

sig.gif
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Wait. Supernatural
    The clown ghost didn’t kill anyone. The kid is seen running out of the house past Sam and Dean moments later.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Oh snap, right you are. That does very clearly happen. I'll edit out that complaint, but remain annoyed that
    he still never appeared again despite the other teens in that group showing up multiple times after. I think. Unless I missed him even more!
    Sorce wrote: »
    It's kind of annoying that if people wanted to avoid spoilers, that's the screencap in the CW app.
    It was indeed, as I didn't know anything about it and would have loved the reveal.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Oh snap, right you are. That does very clearly happen. I'll edit out that complaint, but remain annoyed that
    he still never appeared again despite the other teens in that group showing up multiple times after. I think. Unless I missed him even more!
    Sorce wrote: »
    It was indeed, as I didn't know anything about it and would have loved the reveal.
    Hulu did something similar with The Good Place in the second (?) season. It's the new 'everything is in the trailer'.

sig.gif
    I've just started watching it for the first time this week and I love how the kids are just immediately on board for whatever dumb thing anybody suggests.

That bit where Bob hallucinates the scene from Totoro is great. I love it.

steam_sig.png
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Man, Russian Doll is really making me want to smoke a cigarette for the first time in two and a half years. This was probably not the desired outcome.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Man, Russian Doll is really making me want to smoke a cigarette for the first time in two and a half years. This was probably not the desired outcome.

Last episode spoilers
    Stop smoking!

steam_sig.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

That bit where Bob hallucinates the scene from Totoro is great. I love it.

Kuchi Kopi is also besides an apparently real malevolent deity that warns of intrusive tuna melts also a nod to Ghilbli

Also oh snap the reason Bob hates tuna melts is actually revealed later and I just realized it.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Last episode spoilers
    Stop smoking!

Counterpoint: doctors are all about those camels.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I'm not a massive Supernatural fan, but my wife used to be very into the show so I've seen it all - had fallen off it lately and we were probably half a dozen episodes behind but caught up over the weekend to watch the 300th episode because of the above spoiler.

Supernatural 300th episode stuff
    She kept waiting for a reveal that never came, that Dean had wished into an existence an ideal version of their dad, because when he died the dude was pretty much a major asshole and here he was very touchy-feely and forgiving.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    McFodder wrote: »
    I'm not a massive Supernatural fan, but my wife used to be very into the show so I've seen it all - had fallen off it lately and we were probably half a dozen episodes behind but caught up over the weekend to watch the 300th episode because of the above spoiler.

She kept waiting for a reveal that never came, that Dean had wished into an existence an ideal version of their dad, because when he died the dude was pretty much a major asshole and here he was very touchy-feely and forgiving.
    I let it slide a bit because of the sheer magnitude of everything that was suddenly revealed to him -- dude found out about time travel, angels, Lucifer, etc etc all at once. Plus he sees how Sam and Dean have turned out and what they've been able to do. Not to mention the miracle of Mary being alive again. So it somewhat makes sense for him to be in a more thoughtful and happy state. Having said that, yeah, they definitely wrote him with a notably softer touch for this episode.

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »

I let it slide a bit because of the sheer magnitude of everything that was suddenly revealed to him -- dude found out about time travel, angels, Lucifer, etc etc all at once. Plus he sees how Sam and Dean have turned out and what they've been able to do. Not to mention the miracle of Mary being alive again. So it somewhat makes sense for him to be in a more thoughtful and happy state. Having said that, yeah, they definitely wrote him with a notably softer touch for this episode.
    Meanwhile my wife's opinion is that he would have seen Mary was alive and instantly asked the boys what the HELL kind of stupid shit they have been meddling with.

My feelings are much less strong, because I'm pretty sure we were watching the first few seasons during peak 'Hey, come over to my place and we'll make out totally watch stuff on TV' time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Fuck

and yet he is still unfairly handsome

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I finished Season 2 of Runaways last night who wants to talk about it

@Garlic Bread @DJ Eebs @Rorshach Kringle

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Hulu and Marvel Television have partnered to produce four adult animated series, Variety has learned.

The shows will be based on the following Marvel characters: Howard the Duck, M.O.D.O.K, Hit-Monkey, and Tigra and Dazzler. Like the Marvel-Netflix “Defenders” shows before them, the four characters will then team up in the animated special “The Offenders.” Marvel’s head of TV, Jeph Loeb, will executive produce each project.

“Howard the Duck” will be written and executive produced by Kevin Smith and Dave Willis.
    I feel like I'm having a stroke

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    The best part about this is, given how abysmal The Defenders was, the bar for this one is SUPER low.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I think Kevin Smith has passed his prime as a writer

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    the defenders was bad because danny and electra were bad

everything else about defenders was very good, just the two main characters were giant wet farts

This discussion has been closed.