As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Virginia: North enough to be hated by the South and South enough to be hated by the North

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Northam in his first interview since last week

Big points:
    1)Not stepping down
    2)Redirecting resources and trying to refocus governorship for the rest of his term on improving access for PoC
    3)Still working on policies

I am reading this and this is where he should of been a week ago not what he was doing.

I think in 9 months no one will remember when it comes down to voting to those who have done some good verse the folks who campaign on maintaining "Southern Heritage" and "Confederate Memorials." This won't effect the national election either.

I do think Northam should of resigned and in a normal universe where literally all 3 positions didn't go into scandal at once that may be what happened.

Big quote is he is back to where he was on Confederate statues.
    On Saturday he seemed to say he was willing to use his authority as governor to push the issue, if the monuments still prove provocative.

“I will take a harder line,” Northam said. “If there are statues, if there monuments out there that provoke this type of hatred and bigotry, they need to be in museums.”

I would like nothing more than all the huge statues in Richmond of the Confederates toppled and thrown into scrap yards but I doubt that will happen.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    On the one hand I think it would be a disaster for him to resign at this point and he is probably doing the right things even if he is a day late and dollar short.
    On the other hand, it’s totally possible that the only thing to come out of this whole clusterfuck is the only black man involved losing his job. (Deservedly probably, but still...)

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    On the one hand I think it would be a disaster for him to resign at this point and he is probably doing the right things even if he is a day late and dollar short.
    On the other hand, it’s totally possible that the only thing to come out of this whole clusterfuck is the only black man involved losing his job. (Deservedly probably, but still...)

I’m sure black voters in Virginia will notice that and it will affect their enthusiasm next election :(

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Big points:
    1)Not stepping down
    2)Redirecting resources and trying to refocus governorship for the rest of his term on improving access for PoC

I am reading this and this is where he should of been a week ago not what he was doing.

I think in 9 months no one will remember when it comes down to voting to those who have done some good verse the folks who campaign on maintaining "Southern Heritage" and "Confederate Memorials." This won't effect the national election either.

I do think Northam should of resigned and in a normal universe where literally all 3 positions didn't go into scandal at once that may be what happened.

On Saturday he seemed to say he was willing to use his authority as governor to push the issue, if the monuments still prove provocative.

“I will take a harder line,” Northam said. “If there are statues, if there monuments out there that provoke this type of hatred and bigotry, they need to be in museums.”

I would like nothing more than all the huge statues in Richmond of the Confederates toppled and thrown into scrap yards but I doubt that will happen.

If Alexandria just now decided to rename Rt 1 to something other than "Jefferson Davis Highway" yeah I bet the rest of that shit is a long ways away.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Big points:
    1)Not stepping down

If this forces him to take a harder line on racial issues it might not be all bad.

Would have been nice if Fairfax had not turned out to be a sexual predator and made this all easier.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The lesson of scandals (for men) in the last five years is:

1) Don't resign
    2) The media will get bored and move on.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.

1) Don't resign

I think this is maybe 50/50 the case. Franken didn't get any latitude, the media never got bored of Roy Moore, etc. It really depends on how egregious it is and how badly the party needs you. Franken's seat was safely Democratic so he got booted. The fact that all of VA's top democratic leadership is vulnerable right now probably has a lot to do with Northam staying.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Ugh, no, the Confederate statues do not belong in museums. They are cheap, mass produced racist trash.

ChaosHat wrote: »

1) Don't resign

I think this is maybe 50/50 the case. Franken didn't get any latitude, the media never got bored of Roy Moore, etc. It really depends on how egregious it is and how badly the party needs you. Franken's seat was safely Democratic so he got booted. The fact that all of VA's top democratic leadership is vulnerable right now probably has a lot to do with Northam staying.

Franken didn't have to resign and if he'd told the party to suck his nutsack and stayed on, he'd probably be fine.

The truth is that it basically doesn't matter who you are or what the scandal is. Refuse to resign and you'll probably survive.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

I’m sure black voters in Virginia will notice that and it will affect their enthusiasm next election :(

The one thing that NEEDS to happen, and not just for political expediency, is that any white male Virginian Democrat looking to run for Governor in 2020 needs to find something else to do, and every Virginian Democrat in a position of power (including and ESPECIALLY Northam) needs to get behind whichever strong black voice (male or female) that makes it through the primary.

This isn't a case of affirmative action. This is the Democratic party needing to say white men in Virginia, especially old white men, have let down their state and their constituents too often, and fuck it, they can sit this one out.

Similarly, both Northam and Herring can sit out a change of office in 2020 (I believe their term limited for their current jobs? If not, then they don't run in those either). If they want to run for something in 2022, without incumbency, and with this in their history, fine. But they don't get to move on up, or keep their jobs. Fuck that. They can earn their spots back if the people want them, but not from a position of incumbency.

shryke wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »

1) Don't resign

Franken didn't have to resign and if he'd told the party to suck his nutsack and stayed on, he'd probably be fine.

The truth is that it basically doesn't matter who you are or what the scandal is. Refuse to resign and you'll probably survive.

Well of course, aside from a recall election or removal from office nobody can actually make you.

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Fry wrote: »
    Ugh, no, the Confederate statues do not belong in museums. They are cheap, mass produced racist trash.

I'd be okay if one was saved as an example of the racism of the time and panic over the civil rights movement.

If the plaque read:
    This is one of many mass produced hastily installed statues from the civil rights era used by local and state governments who were in a panic over Black Americans finally being granted the rights all people deserve under the constitution. Most were discarded as scrap, though a few were saved for exhibits such as this.

I don't think they should be preserved as pieces of art or to honor the south or any horseshit, but keep a few around as a reminder of the idiocy and oppression that runs so deep that it took 80 years to start tearing them down.

Edit: I don't think there is a good answer here and Northam might be doing the best thing possible. Even though it's not what everyone wants, I do think it's the least bad option for the people in Virginia (but I don't live there, so this is all sideline chatter from me). It's up to the people around him to get in his face and hold his dick to the fire every second of every day. This goes double for the local and national press.

dispatch.o on
    MorganV wrote: »

The one thing that NEEDS to happen, and not just for political expediency, is that any white male Virginian Democrat looking to run for Governor in 2020 needs to find something else to do, and every Virginian Democrat in a position of power (including and ESPECIALLY Northam) needs to get behind whichever strong black voice (male or female) that makes it through the primary.

This isn't a case of affirmative action. This is the Democratic party needing to say white men in Virginia, especially old white men, have let down their state and their constituents too often, and fuck it, they can sit this one out.

Similarly, both Northam and Herring can sit out a change of office in 2020 (I believe their term limited for their current jobs? If not, then they don't run in those either). If they want to run for something in 2022, without incumbency, and with this in their history, fine. But they don't get to move on up, or keep their jobs. Fuck that. They can earn their spots back if the people want them, but not from a position of incumbency.

So again I want to point out the next governor's election and AG election are 2021 not 2020. Virginia has off year elections. And it is important.

Northam cannot run again as you cannot have consecutive terms as governor. That has been part of the state constitution since the end of the Civil War.

VA does have a full election for both houses of the state legislature this year. Which thanks to some rulings two racially gerrymandered districts got redrawn and Dems are still in an okay place to take both houses holding the governors office and the legislature for the first time in decades.

Also I think after listening to my local NPR and a lot interviews with the local African American community that folks are pissed at Northam but for the legislature there is an understanding that Republicans have and keep putting up Neo-confederates here and your choice gets shitty that way.

Also there were some interesting ones with the older folks just almost shrugging about that was the culture then but not now and they have to show how they will fix it. Younger folks are more retributive.

At the same time, the state has huge breaks between areas and demographics that won't be effected by this.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Fairfax thing is looking like a pattern. So I'm moving to he should likely resign because I'm less convinced that this is going to turn out to be a whole lot of nothing or a massive misunderstanding between him & the accuser (can happen if both had enough to drink to dull the senses. Or if one party is incredibly fucking dense and the other party doesn't say no).

I'd prefer Northam to resign, but if he doesn't, not much that can be done. No fucking way you get the GOP on board with the idea that most of them have to resign because they also have racist skeletons in their closet and are unapologetic about some things. We'll have to see if he follows through on actions to address the issue. I'm all in favor of tearing down shitty confederate statues because the vast majority of them were made as a middle finger to blacks during the civil rights era (so they have fucking historical value and don't have any value as art). Fuck this whole mindset of, "well it's the culture and the history." There's some vile shit, where you remove it from public and it only shows up in the history books, museums or media that takes place during those eras.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    If this forces him to take a harder line on racial issues it might not be all bad.

Would have been nice if Fairfax had not turned out to be a sexual predator and made this all easier.

I was all "Governor Fairfax" and then like the next day...

I think I'm at "no men should be allowed to hold public office in Virginia for the next decade, minimum" now.

Mayabird wrote: »

I was all "Governor Fairfax" and then like the next day...

I think I'm at "no men should be allowed to hold public office in Virginia for the next decade, minimum" now.

Oh god I feel like this is about to be cited on every right wing blog.

DzACeo5XgAonlwx.jpg

Virginians: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Are those diagrams labeled correctly? Republicans most think he should resign, and African Americans least? That is not what I was expecting .

Are those diagrams labeled correctly? Republicans most think he should resign, and African Americans least? That is not what I was expecting .

Of course Republicans think he should resign. If there was an R after his name they would say no. The only thing I think that would cause broad cross partisan consensus in this country is premeditated murder and even then I'm not sure.

https://t.co/svwlOO3rWE

Other details from that poll:

65% don't have an opinion on Fairfax yet and want more information (this was before the second accusation)
    33-60 on Herring, they think he should NOT resign.

11% of Virginians have either worn blackface or personally know someone who has. That's about one in seven white Virginians.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    https://t.co/svwlOO3rWE

Other details from that poll:

65% don't have an opinion on Fairfax yet and want more information (this was before the second accusation)
    33-60 on Herring, they think he should NOT resign.

11% of Virginians have either worn blackface or personally know someone who has. That's about one in seven white Virginians.

I was going to say, I imagine African Americans are completely unsurprised this happened.

White Democrats are more likely to think Northam should resign than black Democrats. Which is in some ways not surprising.

I think there is an understanding, no matter how sad it is, that 35 years ago this wasn't an unacceptable thing folks would do. And that holding people to today's standards for something that occurred in a very different Virginia may not be worth it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I think there is an understanding, no matter how sad it is, that 35 years ago this wasn't an unacceptable thing folks would do. And that holding people to today's standards for something that occurred in a very different Virginia may not be worth it.

Senses of moral outrage also sometimes take a back seat when your own ass is the first one in the crosshairs.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    White Democrats are more likely to think Northam should resign than black Democrats. Which is in some ways not surprising.

It's a bit crazy but I'm not actually surprised. My assumption is they have their eye on the long game.

It's a bit crazy but I'm not actually surprised. My assumption is they have their eye on the long game.

More likely they're used to this kind of shit from white politicians.

More likely they're used to this kind of shit from white politicians.

I mean, yeah, but I think that all kinda ties into the same thing. Assuming you can get a decent replacement I'd think you'd go for it though. So I figure they probably don't think they will.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Let's not over exaggerate the differences in view. It's 49% and 57% supporting him staying on. Notable, but not so massive as to justify "black people are like this" commentary.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Let's not over exaggerate the differences in view. It's 49% and 57% supporting him staying on. Notable, but not so massive as to justify "black people are like this" commentary.

Also the margin of error for black respondents is +/-10 points, so it could very well be the other way around in actuality.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Watched Bill Maher, and one of the guests, a fairly awesome black dude, made the point that a lot of the people expressing black outrage may want to talk to the black community first... and that its possible that yes, this is a matter of expectations. Of course an old southern white dude wore blackface. He probably called folks the n word. They voted for him anyways, and his policies have been good for their interests at large. His past coming out like this might be disappointing for many but not by any means shocking. So the split doesn't surprise me.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    syndalis wrote: »
    Watched Bill Maher, and one of the guests, a fairly awesome black dude, made the point that a lot of the people expressing black outrage may want to talk to the black community first... and that its possible that yes, this is a matter of expectations. Of course an old southern white dude wore blackface. He probably called folks the n word. They voted for him anyways, and his policies have been good for their interests at large. His past coming out like this might be disappointing for many but not by any means shocking. So the split doesn't surprise me.

After all, this dude went on Bill Maher.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited February 2019

Lots of interesting and worthwhile folks do. The comment was the thing, not who he said it to on what channel.

edit: it was Malcolm Nance

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    One thought; especially, when factoring in age differences on opinion. This might have less to do with long game and more do with taking the least shit option as well. In Virginia your politicians are either going to be democrats or republicans for the most part, we don't have a climate that is particularly favorable for an independent party. The republicans routinely run racists and neo-confederate fuckers. So older black voters figure they'd rather tolerate Northam who is from a party that isn't really tolerant of racist shit, than let the republicans have a shot at power since most of the republicans in this state are unapologetic about being racist fuckers and still looking for ways to fuck over minorities. Older blacks probably decided they'd rather be cautious here as well rather than hope this doesn't lead to a republican gaining power.

I'd also say as for the differences between whites and blacks on this as far as if Northam should resign. That also probably comes down to why many of my fellow white peers have an easier time about being geese and only voting if they feel the candidate is perfect. At the end of the day, they are on the bottom of the list for who gets fucked over by shitty racist republicans.

I know some might find it depressing, but this is likely people being rather strategic in regards to politics, which IMO is how it should be. Perfect is impossible and it's better to not allow it lead one into situations where they land themselves into a shitty position because they couldn't get a perfect.

Granted, there is the margin of error, but I feel if that poll isn't widely inaccurate, that's where much of this is going to come down to.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Lots of interesting and worthwhile folks do. The comment was the thing, not who he said it to on what channel.

edit: it was Malcolm Nance

It's still enabling a bigot who openly invites members of the alt-right to share their views. Part of the reason we're having a hard time shutting this stuff down is because "interesting and worthwhile folks" still go on his show, instead of doing what they did in Charlottesville and tell people "either me or the Nazis - pick one to interview."

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited February 2019
    OK, next time someone makes a salient point on that show I'll just not mention what show it happened on?

Like, the point itself got lost in folks being salty at Maher.

And it is a point I have heard reiterated by others today, including on Pod Save America; is it really a net good to move these scandal-ridden folks out of office who have been doing good for marginalized communities and effectively hand over control to people who will actively fuck them over? Especially after Virginia voted a straight blue ticket not so long ago?

It's perfectly fine to be strategic here. Strategic might mean (for example) holding a special election to replace the Lt Governor, and THEN forcing the current governor to resign.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Northam in an interview that was supposed to help him, I guess, referred to slaves as indentured servants and the interviewer immediately corrected him saying "Also known as slavery."

CBS This Morning: Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam: "We are now at the 400-year anniversary — just 90 miles from here in 1619. The first indentured servants from Africa landed on our shores in Old Point Comfort, what we call now Fort Monroe, and while—"
    @GayleKing: "Also known as slavery"

I just. I have no words. My words have failed me.

EDIT: Oh the first ones in 1619 were actually indentured servants and it wasn't slavery. So Northam is right there. Well.

Viskod on
    American slavery didn't just pop up the way it was. But developed out of a lot factors including the fact that Africans had a better tolerance for malaria which was endemic to the US South than the Irish, Scots, and English who made up a lot of the initial indenture servants. The African lived 6 to 9 months verse the British Islander who lived 3-4 months unless you got lucky.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    seems like not a great point to be technically correct about

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    seems like not a great point to be technically correct about

I expect he’ll start going on about Irish slavery next just to make things worse.