As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    So, I've been watching some twitch to learn and mostly I feel old. Wtf does "pog" mean in chat? It's not play of the game, and Google says it's just a twitch emoji face? But the usage...doesn't make sense to me. This is yeet all over again.

There's an extension (BetterTTV) for Chrome/Firefox that adds a bunch of extra emotes. "Pog" is one of them. It's a variant of the PogChamp emote, which is used when someone does something awesome (so, it does sort of mean play of the game).

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Are any of you on right now? It feels like people on the spreadsheet aren't really available.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    So, I've been watching some twitch to learn and mostly I feel old. Wtf does "pog" mean in chat? It's not play of the game, and Google says it's just a twitch emoji face? But the usage...doesn't make sense to me. This is yeet all over again.

There's an extension (BetterTTV) for Chrome/Firefox that adds a bunch of extra emotes. "Pog" is one of them. It's a variant of the PogChamp emote, which is used when someone does something awesome (so, it does sort of mean play of the game).

It's also used ironically when something stupid happens, or something completely normal happens...

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    well this game is pretty wild, got a first win the other night. A big thing to help my game was to lower mouse sensitivity it seems exceptionally high by default. I'm also gonna add my name to the list, I play with a co worker and would love to have a third round out the squad.

PC origin, bretonBrawler

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    How do I get good at this game?

Also someone mentioned getting your speed up to 145 on while dropping. All I seem to be able to do is glide or go straight down. I don't really understand the jump controls.

Man I'm bad at this game

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

Also someone mentioned getting your speed up to 145 on while dropping. All I seem to be able to do is glide or go straight down. I don't really understand the jump controls.

Man I'm bad at this game

You wanna go downwards to start to gain speed, then level out to use that speed to gain distance, rinse and repeat. Make sure you're pressing forward towards the destination, not letting it just fall. That's pretty much it, it takes nuance but isn't too hard to get.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular

Man I'm bad at this game

Dive until you hit 145, then level off until you slow down to 135 or so, and repeat.

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Having a caustic on your team is the worst thing. Without fail I spend 300% more time choking in his gas than any enemies

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Having a caustic on your team is the worst thing. Without fail I spend 300% more time choking in his gas than any enemies

I sort of stopped playing him partly for that reason. Times when the gas was helpful for me ended up being very unhelpful for my teammates.

• ZekZek Registered User regular

Man I'm bad at this game

You need shooting practice, and lots of it. So just seek out fights for a while and don't worry too much about winning the game. And when in doubt just follow your teammates around, you don't want to risk getting caught alone.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

Man I'm bad at this game

Dive until you hit 145, then level off until you slow down to 135 or so, and repeat.

How do you level off? I feel like even when I'm "pulling up" to level off that I'm still diving down more than I'd like.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Caustic also has the WORST voice lines to listen to. It's a very consistent character and induces nothing but "thanks, I hate it" in me. I'm also starting to think they made Bangalore a dork on purpose. Complaining about fngs, calling people foxtrots, she's the bad ass lady who is actually kinda dorky and bad with people when it's not work related. Or at least that's my new headcannon

So everyone with the app is seeing an emoji, and not just the word pog? That makes way more sense.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    People who play Mirage and don’t replace their kill count with bamboozled count, what are you even doing?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• nusunusu Registered User regular
    Caustic also has the WORST voice lines to listen to. It's a very consistent character and induces nothing but "thanks, I hate it" in me.

It’s almost like he’s a toxic white male.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    People who play Mirage and don’t replace their kill count with bamboozled count, what are you even doing?

Oh my god be right back.

I love Mirage, though. It took some time to love him, but now I do.

When my decoy bamboozle fools someone, it's great fun. It's more effective to use it during a close quarters fight or to switch cover. Just sending him one way at medium-long range does very little, and even if they think it's you it doesn't really amount to much. But sending your decoy into a building and then following the enemy in as he chases it? Or sending it off as you're being followed and then ducking into a shrub?

One thing I'd like to see is some adjustments to his ult. Not having access to your weapon totally sucks, and perhaps I just haven't tried the right keys, but I don't know if you can end it early. Most of the time I use it I reappear at the worst time.

Edit: Yeah, according to Google you just have to wait. And I forgot, I also hate his passive. Completely useless. I'm most likely going to die, what is that decoy going to do for me?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited February 2019
    Not being able to end Mirage's ult early is a huge flaw in it, imo. You're completely helpless if anyone spots you. And I've had moments where it allowed me to sneak around on someone and I just had to sit there and wait until it wore off.

My greatest shame in the game so far is that I play Mirage the most or second most of any char so I am quite familiar with his abilities. The other day I was in a firefight with someone and they were nearly dead, and I was landing peacekeeper hits on them, so one more shot likely would have done it. They released a decoy and it FOOLED ME. I mean, JUST for a split second...long enough to make me move my aim away to point at the decoy and then - as I realized my error - I was shot dead.

vamen on
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular

Having a Caustic on my team is very useful. Stay out of their gas, use it to help lock down building entrances and for ambushes at drop points. Aim for the people running out of the gas and shoot them as they do. Throwing an Arc Star into the clouds when you know there's someone in there is also kind of fun...
    Caustic also has the WORST voice lines to listen to.

I adore his voice lines, but only because he's obviously a total nutjob. And because that's also the same voice actor as Soldier 76 in Overwatch, which means all the lines sound... so wrong.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Can you make Mirage's bamboozle do anything, or does it just run like an automaton towards where you were pointing when you activated it

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Mirage’s decoy has worked 100% for me. People always shoot it. I tend to use it late game when entering a new area. Send it out into the open and see where shots come from.

His ult and passive are not good though.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Me and @Elldren could use a third for apex! I'm SniperGuy210 on origin and we're in the PA discord

SniperGuy on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    GG's with @SummaryJudgment and @SniperGuy tonight, even if a few went bananas.

edited February 2019
    Rius wrote: »
    Can you make Mirage's bamboozle do anything, or does it just run like an automaton towards where you were pointing when you activated it

It will do whatever you were doing when you use it, mostly. It has limitations, such as you can't make it climb or use ziplines (that I've discovered) but you can make it:
    - Dive to a given location while you are falling from the dropship. You can do this twice. You can also do it if you use a redeployment balloon.
    - Run across territory.
    - Stand in one spot.
    - Crawl across an area.
    - Walk across an area.
    - Slide down a hill at top speed.
    - Jump an obstacle or ledge at full speed and keep running.
    etc.

vamen on
  • GardhausGardhaus Registered User regular
    I'm on now if anyone wants to group up. Hit me up Gardhaus88 on Origin

PSN: Gardhaus Steam: Gardhaus88 aka SsgtFuzzyNipples BattleNet: Gardhaus#1659
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    after not liking this much the first day, I took some time today and I've really come around. It's still a little overwhelming learning what everyone does, but it's also a lot of fun, so....

If anyone wants to add me, I'm theblackwind on Origin.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    You know when I was dropmaster at first I used to pick safe-ish spots.

Now I drop us right into hot zones, prove to me you have what it takes to get the win randoms.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Had some good games with @squall99x and @SuperRuper — no wins, but I think we top 3/4 a few games including one in which it was really just Super and I.

Squall and I also got paired with a godly sniper one game, but he was dedicated to pushing hard and never pinged anything, so eventually we got pinched chasing after him.

I also got a clip of me accidentally jumping off the waterfall after picking up a Mastiff from a Care Pod. 'twas a good laugh.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Randos, my beautiful comrades in arms:

If you're gonna drop us literally straight down to the first populated area, don't get upset when that results in two of us dying to the first guy who grabbed a real gun and the third squadmate Benny-Hilling a lap around the area to try to find a gun and pick up your revival chips!

I ate an engineer
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Why am I so bad at this game? I pick Lifeline because I think she would be handy, but I barely last long enough to even use her medbot.

Blargh, I want to support this game because the characters are awesome. But, I'm so bad at this game that all I do is drag down my teammates.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Why am I so bad at this game? I pick Lifeline because I think she would be handy, but I barely last long enough to even use her medbot.

Blargh, I want to support this game because the characters are awesome. But, I'm so bad at this game that all I do is drag down my teammates.

I know the feeling but stick with it. The right group of randoms or a couple of pals can make all the difference.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    The biggest thing you can do to improve is to keep up with your team. Early on, spending too much time looting and spreading out too widely to try to get everything is gonna screw you up way more than any (lack of) gunplay skill will.

I ate an engineer

Apologies if you already have, but try dropping your mouse sensitivity way down. At 800dpi on my mouse I use something like 3.5 sens and it made a world of difference for my ability to aim.

• nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

Let's team up, have fun, and be terrible at this game together.

Also, speaking of characters, I can't wait to see what the cosplay community does over the next year or 2 with these characters.

nusu on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/3ulrbZl7qcg

First ever BR-type win. If a rookie shlub like me can do it, you can too CH.

I'm getting on Xbox now if anyone wants to squad

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I just need a win as Mirage and I'll have a win as every character.

I got the final kill in the match as Caustic. Wingman to the face.

• WhittledownWhittledown Registered User regular
    Just placed 2nd as a solo drop, 0 kills, 0 dmg, I hid for 20+ minutes until they found me.

DRCdHs6.jpg?1
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Just placed 2nd as a solo drop, 0 kills, 0 dmg, I hid for 20+ minutes until they found me.

Just did the same more or less.

steam_sig.png
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    *ping an enemy to alert the squad to their presence*
    *pubbie immediately starts spraying wildly in that direction*
    Thanks pal.

edit:

It's very rare for me to see fights where the medibot is useful during combat. Nine times out of ten it's a convenient and free way to patch up once the fight is concluded. Your teammates should be funneling you their ability accelerators so that you can call in a bunch of care packages to help gear up the squad with more armor and healing consumables.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    Squad win with @Peen and @Zombie Gandhi earlier tonight, I went off that game.
    zioqa28a91dp.png

https://youtu.be/Ibcb6K4pPUg

We had a few ok games before and after that, lots of slugfests with multiple teams where things just got out of hand for us. We seem to have decent luck landing far away from the action so we can loot up in (relative) peace. It's when we got drop that things go pear shaped fast... But it's so hard not to go for the ship/blue zone.