As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    SBut it's so hard not to go for the ship/blue zone.
    With that one trick someone mentioned earlier in the thread, of accelerating to 145, leveling out, and then quickly diving to 145 again once you've lost a bit of speed, I've been able to beat people to supply ships and blue zones a lot more consistently.
    Why am I so bad at this game? I pick Lifeline because I think she would be handy, but I barely last long enough to even use her medbot.

Blargh, I want to support this game because the characters are awesome. But, I'm so bad at this game that all I do is drag down my teammates.

It's very rare for me to see fights where the medibot is useful during combat. Nine times out of ten it's a convenient and free way to patch up once the fight is concluded. Your teammates should be funneling you their ability accelerators so that you can call in a bunch of care packages to help gear up the squad with more armor and healing consumables.
    Yeah, lifeline can save you a few syringes from time to time, but her main job is getting her team another purple shield and some gun upgrades.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm pretty good at the airdrop portion, but the real luck comes in who finds the gun first

All of a sudden I'm just naked alone on the ship with angry enemies and all i have is attachments. Maybe they can patch it in where I can chuck an extended mag at my opponent's head

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I've been playing a lot of caustic, and I like him but sometimes his abilities don't click. The gas can be inhibiting in confined places, but nine times out of ten when I zone people with the gas it feels like it's because they're assuming that the gas is about twenty times more lethal than it is.

Other times he really doesn't mesh with the random pubbies. Like we'll have some pristine 5-star high ground in the circle and I'll lock down the approaches with traps, and then my rando buddies will drop down the cliff to go grab a piece of loot. Just once I'd like to actually fight from the fortified position.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So weird I have more success with complete randoms than I do my main team I play with

If I get too 3 with randoms we typically win. Me and my buddies lose in the top 3 every other match but hardly win

I think we’re too cocky and think we can just win every fight. Things get so chaotic for us so quickly

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I've been playing a lot of caustic, and I like him but sometimes his abilities don't click. The gas can be inhibiting in confined places, but nine times out of ten when I zone people with the gas it feels like it's because they're assuming that the gas is about twenty times more lethal than it is.

Other times he really doesn't mesh with the random pubbies. Like we'll have some pristine 5-star high ground in the circle and I'll lock down the approaches with traps, and then my rando buddies will drop down the cliff to go grab a piece of loot. Just once I'd like to actually fight from the fortified position.

I'm not afraid of the damage of the gas, I'm afraid of Caustic being able to see me in it while I'm basically blind, and losing my sprint ability.

Also I just found out that you can slide while you are healing, holy shit.

Ratsult2 on
    edited February 2019
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

I'm not afraid of the damage of the gas, I'm afraid of Caustic being able to see me in it while I'm basically blind, and losing my sprint ability.

Also I just found out that you can slide while you are healing, holy shit.

Speaking of that, I do have to seriously question some of the UI choices about that. Caustic can see enemies in the gas, but they're outlined in the same lime green as the gas. They should be outlined in a contrasting color like red. Basic stuff here.

On another note, it really sucks that the damage is so poor when your teammates are still afflicted by the gas's other effects. They're only protected from its weakest aspect. At least when they do get caught in the gas during an indoors fight, it's offset since you're basically pulling off the bangalore/bloodhound smoke/vision combo as a one man crew. So you can do most of the heavy lifting until the dust settles and then your team can help mop up.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    UsynR3U.jpg
    Accurate.

• gamesseekergamesseeker Registered User regular
    I am surprised I have never heard of the game, it looks extremely cool and has lots of characters to choose from... I really liked all those videos showing the powers of every character. Happy it's available for PC but does anyone know where I can get it for a good price?

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I am surprised I have never heard of the game, it looks extremely cool and has lots of characters to choose from... I really liked all those videos showing the powers of every character. Happy it's available for PC but does anyone know where I can get it for a good price?

IT'S FREE MY DOOOOOOOD.

Also, it came out with literally 0 advertising, just dropped out of the blue on Monday, so it's not surprising you never heard of it :P

Edit: It's on Origin, EA's digital distribution platform, if you were wondering where specifically to get it.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

IT'S FREE MY DOOOOOOOD.

Also, it came out with literally 0 advertising, just dropped out of the blue on Monday, so it's not surprising you never heard of it :P

Edit: It's on Origin, EA's digital distribution platform, if you were wondering where specifically to get it.

It's pretty crazy that it's free to play and has such a benign f2p model, too.

On a side note... I'm at work and can't stop thinking about this game. The last time this happened to me was when I played overwatch for the first time..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I had a delightful second place game yesterday. We got to an area near I think Thunderdome that was accessible only via zipline, directly in the center of the closing circles for the end of the game. We managed to hold off the other teams and take advantage of the fact that they kept running into each other trying to get to our spot until the tail end when the last and most desperate team came at us from three zip lines at once. And they had a wraith that did a good job of popping in, shooting, then popping to the bottom of a zipline.

Super fun though, would have been amazing if I hadn't been trying to hit people a mile away with ironsights... it was also one of my first Bangalore games and I really love how the barrage ability gets people out of cover even at a pretty long range.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm going to be honest, this game has supplanted Anthem in my hype brainspace right now. I can't put my finger on why it's such an improvement over other BR games, maybe it's just a broad QoL across the board thing.

What is this I don't even.
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I'm going to be honest, this game has supplanted Anthem in my hype brainspace right now. I can't put my finger on why it's such an improvement over other BR games, maybe it's just a broad QoL across the board thing.

It's the QoL stuff for me, coupled by the fact shooting actually feels good. And I like that I can actually see some action instead of spending 30 minutes gathering loot only to instantly die from a sniper shot from someone I never even saw.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »

It's the QoL stuff for me, coupled by the fact shooting actually feels good. And I like that I can actually see some action instead of spending 30 minutes gathering loot only to instantly die from a sniper shot from someone I never even saw.

You know, true. The TTK difference means I usually at least know why I died, I can figure out where and how my attention lapsed or I lost the gunplay, rather than just zero to dead.

What is this I don't even.
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I made the mistake of playing Titanfall 2 before playing this for the first time last night. I kept trying to wall jump.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    I made the mistake of playing Titanfall 2 before playing this for the first time last night. I kept trying to wall jump.

It still has some movement stuff..

https://v.redd.it/1fyd94gflvf21

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

The QoL stuff is really nice but for me it is the combination of gunplay, movement, ttk and revive mechanic that means the game promotes and rewards aggression and maneuvering that has made the real difference for me.

• gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    I didn't play too much Sunday, but in the few matches I did play , I ended up grabbing a chicken dinner with 2 rando's....90am1v1gz4np.png
    didn't do too much for the V, but revived a player so theres that :P

BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I like solider lady and shield guy but I think I just like aerial strikes

• DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    I can't find a technical reason why this is, but unlike other BR games I actually feel like... I have a chance in this one?

For instance, I played a lot of PUBG and Blackout but have never come close to winning. Here? I'm averaging about win a night. Not sure why that is, maybe the abilities or gunplay or whatever, but I feel like the playing field has been pretty even. And I can't really figure out why this one clicks so much for me.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    My new headset arrives today so I can finally play this with a mic. As much as I like the ping system, it's not terribly useful in the heat of combat =)

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    My new headset arrives today so I can finally play this with a mic. As much as I like the ping system, it's not terribly useful in the heat of combat =)

A lot of people I have played with aren't hitting the "Enemy over there" button in firefights.

It is insanely useful to have that little red dot pop up to give me an idea of where the bad guys are. I dunno about on a console, but on PC tapping F while shooting is pretty easy and conveys a massive amount of info to your teammates. "Where are they?" "Over here!" is basically useless compared to that little red dot. All hail the red dot! ALL HAIL

• nusunusu Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Rius wrote: »

A lot of people I have played with aren't hitting the "Enemy over there" button in firefights.

It is insanely useful to have that little red dot pop up to give me an idea of where the bad guys are. I dunno about on a console, but on PC tapping F while shooting is pretty easy and conveys a massive amount of info to your teammates. "Where are they?" "Over here!" is basically useless compared to that little red dot. All hail the red dot! ALL HAIL

And as someone else in this thread has pointed out, you can still ping enemies while downed (but not dead dead).

The high ttk is by far my least favorite aspect of the game. If my teammates are pants on head and run off or just suck, then there is little that I can do against a full squad. I'm likely to get bloodied by each kill of mine, which makes it less likely for me to kill all 3. I much prefer pubg's faster ttk. I'd be much happier if damage were boosted by 50-70% across the board.

3DS Friend Code:
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    A faster TTK would certainly make long range fights more viable, at least on console where it's harder to aim (for me, as a potato), but I don't think I want that. Honestly I don't mind the TTK, I feel like it plays into the game's focus (right now) on team play and I like that I can take some shots from somewhere and get behind cover before I get murdered. I enjoy moving as a coordinated murder-ball, if people could just roam the map solo and wipe squads themselves it'd be a very different game.

Now that I've got a handle on the guns I'm enjoying hearing a fight in the distance and making the decision as a group to run over and mop up whoever's left, instead of avoiding the area and letting them duke it out. In that game we won last night there were a few times, including the end of the match, where we heard people fighting and ran at them instead of away from them and that ended up being the right decision.

I almost want players to start with white armor since being armorless is a huge problem early on

I don't mind the RNG loot aspect besides the armor feeling essential at all times

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think white body armor is super common though, I often find like 2 of them next to eachother.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    People who play Mirage and don’t replace their kill count with bamboozled count, what are you even doing?

That's the first stat tracker display I unlocked!

I think white body armor is super common though, I often find like 2 of them next to eachother.

I had a moment last night where the whole area I landed in was picked clean, so while trying to secure my dead teammates tags I had to go head on against 3 guys, with no shield. Needless to say, I got hella killed. Even with healing items in hand, you die so much quicker without shielding. And for 95% of the game it doesn't matter, just the start.

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    I like the current TTK precisely because it forces more teamwork instead of the solo player with mad twitch skills just wrecking everyone all the time.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Me: "We totally would've won that engagement if I had Caustic to gas up that choke point."
    (switches to Caustic next game)
    Me: "We totally would've won that engagement if I had Pathfinder to get us up to that ledge to negate their height advantage."
    (switches to Pathfinder next game)
    Me: "We totally would've won that engagement if I had..."

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    People who play Mirage and don’t replace their kill count with bamboozled count, what are you even doing?

That's the first stat tracker display I unlocked!

I crafted it immediately when I saw it. It was only like 30 things.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I can't find a technical reason why this is, but unlike other BR games I actually feel like... I have a chance in this one?

For instance, I played a lot of PUBG and Blackout but have never come close to winning. Here? I'm averaging about win a night. Not sure why that is, maybe the abilities or gunplay or whatever, but I feel like the playing field has been pretty even. And I can't really figure out why this one clicks so much for me.
    In other battle royale games, assuming equal skill for all players in a match, you have between a 1/100 and a 1/25 chance of winning, and in this you have a 1/20 chance of winning.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

In other battle royale games, assuming equal skill for all players in a match, you have between a 1/100 and a 1/25 chance of winning, and in this you have a 1/20 chance of winning.

I don't think there is any skill matchmaking right now though, so I definitely have less than 1/20 wins even though I'm usually playing on par with my squadmates. I hope they add some sort of MMR at some point.

Hmm thinking on it some more, I think I want a Torbjörn style character who can drop basic armor for friendlies. Maybe his ult could randomly upgrade an ally's shield by one level.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Me: "We totally would've won that engagement if I had Caustic to gas up that choke point."
    (switches to Caustic next game)
    Me: "We totally would've won that engagement if I had Pathfinder to get us up to that ledge to negate their height advantage."
    (switches to Pathfinder next game)
    Me: "We totally would've won that engagement if I had..."

Well why didn't you?!!

steam_sig.png
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    We walked into a Caustic-trapped choke point and were both decimated and impressed. They got us good.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    This makes me want to unlock caustic even more than I already do

https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/apefd7/welcome_to_my_lab/

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    This makes me want to unlock caustic even more than I already do

https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/apefd7/welcome_to_my_lab/

PSA: you can destroy doors by meleeing them :P

• WhittledownWhittledown Registered User regular
    Since I haven't seen it posted much, if you see a little Triangle Spider Robot thing like what you get when you level up, smash that thing. It's got goodies inside.

DRCdHs6.jpg?1