As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kingdom Hearts] Melody of Melancholy

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    The Pirates world is making me want a pirate game that is actually good.

I am not saying that the Pirates world is not a great part of the game, but that I want a full game of pirate bullshit that isn't sea of thieves' half-assed garbage.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Sanctuary
    Mr. G wrote: »
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    So thoughts on the ending, keep in mind I barely understand the larger plot, so this is more...particulars of what happened to characters:
    Specifically, Kairi. The early stuff kind of works, though it would have been nice to see her do some actual training. And the part where Sora realizes that he can't find her heart, only for it to be revealed that she already had it under control, and is there to save him is really good! It pays off a bunch of the Disney stuff, and it pays off when she says that she'll protect him. It's nice!

And then the stuff at the end hits.

I think you can fix the Kairi story without changing much of how this game ends. First of all, it does suck that she just gets grabbed and then obliterated right at the end of the game, especially when they build the story around her training to fight. There's no getting around that the game fucked it up.

But I think that if they wanted to remove Kairi from the board so that Xion could step in as a guardian, you don't even really need to change that much? All you have to do is give her a little agency in the scene. The initial scene where she's grabbed, just have her...I dunno, wink at Sora and co., to hint that she's letting this happen because she's got some sort of plan. It still takes her off the board, but she's already doing more.

And then, you switch her getting killed with her actively sacrificing herself to give the rest of the team an opening. And then it's not even explicitly to make Sora mad enough to fight. You throw in one line about connections, and you don't even have to shoehorn in the "well she's probably still ok" stuff. And most of the plot doesn't even change!

I mean, ideally you...don't do it at all, probably, because the "there are seven guardians of the light" thing is a made up rule that they can just change to fit the number of characters they have, but hey, working within the lines they drew, I think there's a way to salvage it that they absolutely missed. And that's...you know, probably the biggest problem with the game somewhat sorted
    they could always retcon it in 4 (for lack of a better name) that she knew what was up and was doing this to lead Sora to whatever The New Problem will be that he and Riku have to deal with is, cause boy it would be nice to give the idea that maybe Kairi is in any way an active player in anything instead of just being along for the ride

she was actually more active in 2! somehow Merlin's training gave her less agency!

I also wish they gave her the character note of she just doesn't like Axel no matter what, that dude abducted her and she's just supposed to trust he's a good guy? instead they gave her the same dynamic everyone has with everyone, it would actually be more interesting if she just insisted on "nah, fuck that guy"

more end stuff
    They've gone out of their way to make it so nobody is allowed to stay mad at anyone for very long, and there are a lot of reasons for Kairi to look at Axel and go "nah, it's fine." It'd be real weird if she was like, the one character in these games to hold a grudge for longer than three seconds

• KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Epilogue
    I know the ending with Maleficent walking off is supposed to be this sinister 'bide my time' moment but I cant help but interpret it as Maleficent just rolling her eyes at this whole box bullshit. She's just done.

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    Epilogue
    I know the ending with Maleficent walking off is supposed to be this sinister 'bide my time' moment but I cant help but interpret it as Maleficent just rolling her eyes at this whole box bullshit. She's just done.

This is now my head-canon until something refutes it.

• masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Secret movie spoilers
    I'm so happy that the Org 13 member that turned out to be secretly the most important one was Xigbar

He's such a little shit in all of his appearances and that's way more fun now

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Sanctuary
    Secret movie spoilers
    I'm so happy that the Org 13 member that turned out to be secretly the most important one was Xigbar

He's such a little shit in all of his appearances and that's way more fun now
    They did a pretty good job making all the Organization members interesting characters in this one (I'm thinking of Vexen, Demyx, and Zexion particularly here)

except for Lexaeus and Xaldin, who have apparently been banished to the shadow dimension from which no sound returns

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    The epilogue was completely lost on me cause I have no fucking clue who any of these people are
    You can get a primer on them with the Kingdom Hearts Chi Back Cover movie. That was in the 2.8 collection, but it’s probably on Youtuge as well.

Enlong on
    Sanctuary
    Epilogue
    y'all should be spoilering that the epilogue is about Back Cover stuff, that pretty much gives it all away

6F32U1X.png
    LD50 wrote: »
    The Pirates world is making me want a pirate game that is actually good.

I am not saying that the Pirates world is not a great part of the game, but that I want a full game of pirate bullshit that isn't sea of thieves' half-assed garbage.

Perhaps you might be interested in Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag, or Skull And Bones.

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Union X had its February update, and thanks to the ending of KH3 and the Secret Reports, we have some possible new info:
    So it appears that Brain is most likely the traitor who killed Strelitzia and took her spot. He references himself as wanting to become a virus, which mimics the language used by Luxu to describe who betrayed the Union leaders in the secret reports.

Which now gets us into the question of how everyone gets to the present. We know Ventus is the same Ventus from Union X, Skuld appears to be the same girl that Lea and Isa joined the Organization to look for, and Marluxia, Larxene, Luxord, and Demyx are all from this time period (and we’ve already met two of them). On top of that, we know Ephemer doesn’t seem to time travel like the others, even though his heart is able to connect to Sora’s. So things are definitely seeming to be filled in, though a ton of questions are still floating around (for example, my favorite theory is that Brain is actually Luxu).

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Nirya wrote: »
    Union X had its February update, and thanks to the ending of KH3 and the Secret Reports, we have some possible new info:
    So it appears that Brain is most likely the traitor who killed Strelitzia and took her spot. He references himself as wanting to become a virus, which mimics the language used by Luxu to describe who betrayed the Union leaders in the secret reports.

Which now gets us into the question of how everyone gets to the present. We know Ventus is the same Ventus from Union X, Skuld appears to be the same girl that Lea and Isa joined the Organization to look for, and Marluxia, Larxene, Luxord, and Demyx are all from this time period (and we’ve already met two of them). On top of that, we know Ephemer doesn’t seem to time travel like the others, even though his heart is able to connect to Sora’s. So things are definitely seeming to be filled in, though a ton of questions are still floating around (for example, my favorite theory is that Brain is actually Luxu).
    I had a feeling that Brain was the traitor, but it's nice to have confirmation.

As for how they got to the present, the KH3 Secret Report 11 gives us a hint:
    I have seen it through; the Keyblade War unfolded exactly as written on the Lost Page. Now, the Keyblade the Master entrusted to me must be bequeathed to another. Five Union leaders have been chosen from the surviving Dandelions. I will pass the Keyblade to one of them, and then continue watching the future unfold.

Yet it seems that someone has pulled the old switcheroo. One of the Five is an impostor, someone the Master did not choose. They represent a virus in the program he so carefully wrote.

The virus has begun a strange undertaking: a reckless plot to allow the Five to escape into another worldline. Surely such a thing can't be possible? We're talking about the same trick that allowed the Dandelions to transfer to other worldlines after the Keyblade War. But these children are no Masters. They haven't the means...unless, of course, a certain lady of magic summoned here from the future knows more than I do.

The whole Union leader thing was supposed to be by the books. Are these new events just another phase in the Master's grand plan?

--Unknown

Now, it's not entirely clear what they mean by "wordlines" (though Secret Report 12 implies they're literally going to alternate realities, since the one they "leave" has never experienced a Keyblade War), but it seems pretty clear that the same magic they used to survive the first Keyblade War we see in KHUX was used to bring them to the timeline we're familiar with (and also gave them amnesia).

What does seem a lot more clear is that Luxu is definitely not Brain. Secret Report 11 and 12 were very clearly written by Luxu (he was the only one given the Lost Page). In Secret Report 11, he refers to the 5 New Union Leaders in the third person, which indicates he is separate from them. And in 12, the writer talks about how they "watched as the Five were sent to another worldline" and had to continuously discard their body so their heart could travel to new worldlines. Given how Xigbar mentions in the Epilogue that he's had multiple "semblances," that line in 12 is almost certainly meant to directly connect the writer to Luxu/Xigbar.

tl;dr: The Union Leaders traveled to alternate realities, and Sora's just happened to be one where the Keyblade War was ancient history. And Brain can't be an incarnation of Luxu.

IKknkhU.gif
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I beat this game, secret movie, epilogue the works.

So spoilers for all that
    I can't believe KH4 is going to be TWEWY2 what the fuck?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Also when Don't Think Twice was first revealed I said when it started playing in game I'd be a wreck and YUUUUUUUP

X22wmuF.jpg
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    To those who have completed the game
    Is the story concluded?

Like really really?
    I am going to get it if it's so
    Because if the game is not concluded i will have to play the next one when i am almost 50

Peas on
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Peas wrote: »
    To those who have completed the game
    Is the story concluded?

Like really really?
    I am going to get it if it's so
    Because if the game is not concluded i will have to play the next one when i am almost 50

The story they spent the vast majority of their time setting up is over

There will be a new story based on things they set up in KH3 and elsewhere

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    do you remember how KH1 ended? It kinda feels like that.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Sanctuary
    by the way...yay Ultima Weapon. Now I'm gonna grab this Keyblade and do all those damn Battlegates.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Stilts wrote: »
    Nirya wrote: »

I had a feeling that Brain was the traitor, but it's nice to have confirmation.

As for how they got to the present, the KH3 Secret Report 11 gives us a hint:
    I have seen it through; the Keyblade War unfolded exactly as written on the Lost Page. Now, the Keyblade the Master entrusted to me must be bequeathed to another. Five Union leaders have been chosen from the surviving Dandelions. I will pass the Keyblade to one of them, and then continue watching the future unfold.

Yet it seems that someone has pulled the old switcheroo. One of the Five is an impostor, someone the Master did not choose. They represent a virus in the program he so carefully wrote.

The virus has begun a strange undertaking: a reckless plot to allow the Five to escape into another worldline. Surely such a thing can't be possible? We're talking about the same trick that allowed the Dandelions to transfer to other worldlines after the Keyblade War. But these children are no Masters. They haven't the means...unless, of course, a certain lady of magic summoned here from the future knows more than I do.

The whole Union leader thing was supposed to be by the books. Are these new events just another phase in the Master's grand plan?

--Unknown

Now, it's not entirely clear what they mean by "wordlines" (though Secret Report 12 implies they're literally going to alternate realities, since the one they "leave" has never experienced a Keyblade War), but it seems pretty clear that the same magic they used to survive the first Keyblade War we see in KHUX was used to bring them to the timeline we're familiar with (and also gave them amnesia).

What does seem a lot more clear is that Luxu is definitely not Brain. Secret Report 11 and 12 were very clearly written by Luxu (he was the only one given the Lost Page). In Secret Report 11, he refers to the 5 New Union Leaders in the third person, which indicates he is separate from them. And in 12, the writer talks about how they "watched as the Five were sent to another worldline" and had to continuously discard their body so their heart could travel to new worldlines. Given how Xigbar mentions in the Epilogue that he's had multiple "semblances," that line in 12 is almost certainly meant to directly connect the writer to Luxu/Xigbar.

tl;dr: The Union Leaders traveled to alternate realities, and Sora's just happened to be one where the Keyblade War was ancient history. And Brain can't be an incarnation of Luxu.
    Yeah, I’m interested in finding out what Brain’s whole deal is. He doesn’t feel like a good guy (considering he probably killed Strelitzia) but considering how we ended KH3 it’s hard to see Luxu/Foretellers/MoM as “good” in the traditional sense as well.

The worldlines discussion makes me believe that the Dandelions are essentially in almost a data world, which would fit with a lot of the stuff we’ve learned about its creation and Brain being a “virus”. To that end, I almost want to theorize that the Keyblade War did not lead to everything getting destroyed, but instead created a singularity that exists outside of time and wiped everyone involved out (think how Doctor Who explained the Time War). It would actually explain how all of the Keyblade welders from KHUX can get back to the real world despite not aging and having no memory, while also explaining how the Foretellers showed up in the KH3 epilogue. It also makes it easier for Luxu to monitor the Dandelions and the Unions, while also passing around his Keyblade in the real world.

The one thing I’m really interested in is Ephemer. His appearance in KH3 is so brief and out of nowhere, and runs counter to the fact that 3 other Union leaders + a few others made it back to the current timeline, so I do want to learn what happened there.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    I definitely don't think the game "ends on a whimper".
    I was very happy with the BBS and Days trios getting happy endings. The only thing I didn't like was their dumb treatment of Kairi and Axel and how their "training" was just bullshit that didn't matter and their treatment of Kairi in the finale on its own. That we don't have a fight that is just Sora, Riku, and Kairi in Kingdom Hearts 3 with the trio having their own flashy limit attack is just asinine.

Sanctuary
    I have an end-game lore question:
    Mickey is able to open a doorway to the realm of darkness because he has a dark keyblade (the kingdom key D).

Sora was able to open a doorway to the realm of the darkness because he found master Eraqus' keyblade washed up on the shores of Destiny Islands. Does that mean Eraqus' keyblade is a dark keyblade?

edited February 2019
    Mickey is able to open a doorway to the realm of darkness because he has a dark keyblade (the kingdom key D).

Sora was able to open a doorway to the realm of the darkness because he found master Eraqus' keyblade washed up on the shores of Destiny Islands. Does that mean Eraqus' keyblade is a dark keyblade?
    I think it might have just been Sora’s heart guiding his way, like when he managed the opposite trick when he and Riku were trapped in the dark realm.

That said, Eraqus’s Keyblade is special. It’s tied to the Land of Departure, which is a world in-betweeen darkness and light, like TWTNW was. So it may be that it helps, having ties to light and darkness.

Enlong on
    Sanctuary
    Enlong wrote: »

I think it might have just been Sora’s heart guiding his way, like when he managed the opposite trick when he and Riku were trapped in the dark realm.

That said, Eraqus’s Keyblade is special. It’s tied to the Land of Departure, which is a world in-betweeen darkness and light, like TWTNW was. So it may be that it helps, having ties to light and darkness.
    His heart guided him to the shores of Destiny Islands, but it was def the keyblade that opened the door.

Sanctuary
    Ultima Weapon is so OP...
    it's like having Final Form every 30 secs.

Sanctuary
    Ultima Weapon is so OP...
    it's like having Final Form every 30 secs.

It's really pretty too, and I get to see it in all the end game cutscenes since I got it as early as I could.

• eddizhereeddizhere Scrubber Than A Sponge Scrubtown, USARegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    I was kinda down on this game until Monstropolis, but now I’m back in!
    seeing sully throw the Org13 member through like seven doors and then them disintegrating the final door was hilarious. Exactly what I wanted to happen.

Also I’m hearing a lot of love for the Toy Story leyblade but I very much love the Tangled keyblade.

League of Legends: Plutoniumwombat
    Smite: Plutoniumwombat
    Sanctuary
    sometimes I think about how it's possible the entire "data" thing in the series, including DiZ and Roxas' whole things and the existence of Coded, all comes from "we're doing Tron in this one" and those times are when I think this series is probably the greatest achievement in human history

6F32U1X.png
    eddizhere wrote: »
    I was kinda down on this game until Monstropolis, but now I’m back in!
    seeing sully throw the Org13 member through like seven doors and then them disintegrating the final door was hilarious. Exactly what I wanted to happen.

Also I’m hearing a lot of love for the Toy Story leyblade but I very much love the Tangled keyblade.

Ever After is The Best.

It even has a drain spell for a Shotlock.

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Epilogue/Secret Ending
    Nomura forcing his own bullshit to come back by using Kingdom Hearts as a blunt instrument is just precious to me, it is the most innocent use of a producerial mandate I have ever seen, god bless him

re: the epilogue, I got the gist of it through my previous research, but I have no idea who Ava is and why they would expect her to be around, or how Luxu summoned the Foretellers to the present and what he needs from them now that the Xehanort thing is dealt with, and I guess I also don’t really get what a Chirithy is?

can anyone give me the summary here, or should I watch Back Cover?

Sanctuary
    YaYa wrote: »
    Epilogue/Secret Ending
    Nomura forcing his own bullshit to come back by using Kingdom Hearts as a blunt instrument is just precious to me, it is the most innocent use of a producerial mandate I have ever seen, god bless him

re: the epilogue, I got the gist of it through my previous research, but I have no idea who Ava is and why they would expect her to be around, or how Luxu summoned the Foretellers to the present and what he needs from them now that the Xehanort thing is dealt with, and I guess I also don’t really get what a Chirithy is?

You should watch Back Cover regardless, but Ava is one of the other Foretellers, and (possibly unbeknownst to the others) her attacking Luxu was what started the Keyblade War

the rest is probably supposed to be a mystery for future games

also Chirithy are Pikachus for keyblade wielders

6F32U1X.png
    Simple & Clean
    Epilogue/Secret Ending

You should watch Back Cover regardless, but Ava is one of the other Foretellers, and (possibly unbeknownst to the others) her attacking Luxu was what started the Keyblade War

got it, so, Ven’s Chirithy being around again is probably just one more “no, really, it’s the same Ven and he was in the Keyblade War” thing that will most likely be dealt with in KH4?

Sanctuary
    Epilogue/Secret Ending

got it, so, Ven’s Chirithy being around again is probably just one more “no, really, it’s the same Ven and he was in the Keyblade War” thing that will most likely be dealt with in KH4?
    possibly, but I actually kinda hope future games will leave the Birth By Sleep & 358 Days people behind

I think you can pretty much resolve Ventus' story inside of Union X, and his present day story has gotten a happy ending, and I'd like it if they kept it that way

6F32U1X.png
    Simple & Clean
    some whole game thoughts
    I am really glad I dedicated the time that I did to figuring out the storyline before I started this game, because pretty much every part I liked was related to seeing all those plot threads get resolved

Toy Story and San Fransokyo were really well done but otherwise I found the Disney worlds really uninspired and kind of poorly designed in a way that I would have hoped they’d get away from by now

the combat looks and feels great and I enjoyed it but it also still felt really, really mashy to me

and even with the research I did I still had a few moments of squinting and turning my head to try and figure out what was going on

but when the last three hours hit, they hit me so goddamn hard that I have trouble being mad at any of it, and that more than anything makes me understand why the diehards stick with this series. the emotional moments are just so genuine, and kind, and mostly earned

seeing the 358 crew finally get to just sit and be happy made me legitimately tear up

• Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Epilogue/Secret Ending

Also, I'm not sure if this actually matters but Chirithy are dream eaters, like in Dream Drop Distance.

Sanctuary
    some whole game thoughts
    I am really glad I dedicated the time that I did to figuring out the storyline before I started this game, because pretty much every part I liked was related to seeing all those plot threads get resolved

Toy Story and San Fransokyo were really well done but otherwise I found the Disney worlds really uninspired and kind of poorly designed in a way that I would have hoped they’d get away from by now

the combat looks and feels great and I enjoyed it but it also still felt really, really mashy to me

and even with the research I did I still had a few moments of squinting and turning my head to try and figure out what was going on

but when the last three hours hit, they hit me so goddamn hard that I have trouble being mad at any of it, and that more than anything makes me understand why the diehards stick with this series. the emotional moments are just so genuine, and kind, and mostly earned

seeing the 358 crew finally get to just sit and be happy made me legitimately tear up
    someone said this game gets back to the roots of the series and it really does

in the way that the first 80% of the game is more or less irrelevant compared to the last 20 and the Disney stuff is kinda barebones

my memories of KH3 will pretty much all be from Keyblade Graveyard-onwards

well

that and Hayner trying to dropkick Ansem

6F32U1X.png
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    Epilogue/Secret Ending

Also, I'm not sure if this actually matters but Chirithy are dream eaters, like in Dream Drop Distance.
    it matters in Back Cover, at least. Since Dream Eaters can be Spirits or Nightmares, the appearance of Nightmare Chirithies are what made the foretellers realize that there was a traitor among them

some whole game thoughts

someone said this game gets back to the roots of the series and it really does

in the way that the first 80% of the game is more or less irrelevant compared to the last 20 and the Disney stuff is kinda barebones

my memories of KH3 will pretty much all be from Keyblade Graveyard-onwards

well

that and Hayner trying to dropkick Ansem
    i dunno about you, but I’m definitely gonna remember Woody calling Xehanort an empty, unloved pile of garbage.

Sanctuary
    I think the only thing I don't understand about the endgame
    is pretty much everything with Roxas and Xion

how did they both get back there and how is anyone even remembering Xion and should I just assume the answer is always "friendship"

6F32U1X.png
    Simple & Clean

how did they both get back there and how is anyone even remembering Xion and should I just assume the answer is always "friendship"
    I’m pretty sure that Ienzo and Vexen cranked out another replica and finished their unpacking of Sora’s heart to pull out Roxas just in the nick of time

as for Xion, I’m guessing a combination of replicas and time travel fuckery, and everyone remembering her was strength of hearts

Sanctuary

I mean the replica was there and the only thing Roxas needed was a connection. Look it's anime. Let Roxas have his kick ass return. By the way why why why didn't we get more Roxas X Ventus interactions.