As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bad News Gone Right]: 2019 - We Are All Filthy Animals, Apparently

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Even looking at the pictures, the dungeon looks more like a really awesome basement that happens to have some sex stuff in it, not a room that a screams BDSM the moment you walk in. White marble flooring, tons of lighting, etc. What bothered me most was how the beds were at diagonals to the walls.

According to the article, the basement was highlighted for the benefit of attracting AirB&B customers, who very much would be interested to know if the place has a sex dungeon, whether that's what they're looking for specifically or just to avoid a potentially awkward surprise. If the owners were to move, they'd probably take all the sex paraphernalia with them; it doesn't seem to be an integral part of the room in any way ("No! That's a load-bearing stockade; it has to stay!").

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    The ad did say that furnishings were included

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    This whole situation has really shown that sex dungeons need to be kept privates.

steam_sig.png
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    This whole situation has really shown that sex dungeons need to be kept privates.

Has it though? It's gotten a shitload of attention for the house that it wouldn't have gotten otherwise. I bet it benefits the price.

• RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Has it though? It's gotten a shitload of attention for the house that it wouldn't have gotten otherwise. I bet it benefits the price.

Yeah, I guess you could say it whipped up interest.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    You guys suck.

(Get it?!?!? Suck?!?!?! It's a triple meta pun!)

• see317see317 Registered User regular

Sure it's gotten a lot of attention, but is it attention from actual interested buyers, or internet trolls looking for a cheap laugh that is going to last forever, because that's what internet trolls do?

For reference, consider the Breaking Bad house, whose owners had to put up a fence to stop idiots from throwing pizza on their roof.
    Or the Goonies house that is now hidden behind tarps to stop visitors because of internet idiots.
    I'm sure the list goes on.

It might just be me, but a house that got internet famous for any reason, let alone a sex dungeon, would drop the value substantially. Maybe the notoriety would attract some people and drive the price a bit, but personally, I value my privacy too much.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    Even looking at the pictures, the dungeon looks more like a really awesome basement that happens to have some sex stuff in it, not a room that a screams BDSM the moment you walk in. White marble flooring, tons of lighting, etc. What bothered me most was how the beds were at diagonals to the walls.

According to the article, the basement was highlighted for the benefit of attracting AirB&B customers, who very much would be interested to know if the place has a sex dungeon, whether that's what they're looking for specifically or just to avoid a potentially awkward surprise. If the owners were to move, they'd probably take all the sex paraphernalia with them; it doesn't seem to be an integral part of the room in any way ("No! That's a load-bearing stockade; it has to stay!").
    I would bet that it is INDEED a load bearing stockade.

sig.gif
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Speaking of bears. Bad news, getting eaten by a bear. Good news, dying of a meth overdose before being eaten.

http://www.wistv.com/2019/02/05/man-dies-meth-overdose-before-bear-eats-him-autopsy-says/

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Speaking of bears. Bad news, getting eaten by a bear. Good news, dying of a meth overdose before being eaten.

http://www.wistv.com/2019/02/05/man-dies-meth-overdose-before-bear-eats-him-autopsy-says/

I don't think that was good news for anyone involved, including the bear.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Cocaine Bear has competition for "Brief moment as Apex Predator of Earth" now.

sig.gif
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Also this was kind of glossed over:
    Did you get the sense they had any idea what was going on in that house?

I think they were in the dark. I think they didn’t know anything until this morning. He’s like, “Did you know that house is on Airbnb?” I’m like, yes, duh.

I mean, I know that's a thing, but... hmm. If I had a sex dungeon, I'm not sure I would be renting it out?

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

I think they were in the dark. I think they didn’t know anything until this morning. He’s like, “Did you know that house is on Airbnb?” I’m like, yes, duh.

I mean, I know that's a thing, but... hmm. If I had a sex dungeon, I'm not sure I would be renting it out?

Given it was going for $2k/weekend, I'd imagine it was rented out because it had a sex dungeon.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular

Given it was going for $2k/weekend, I'd imagine it was rented out because it had a sex dungeon.

I guess that's what the cleaning fee is for.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

I'm sure there is no hidden camera in a picture frame or smoke alarm or something.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    It's super easy to sweep for those nowadays.
    Also it's generally a bad idea to stage a blackmail operation in your own home

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

How do you sweep for those? I've used a number of AirBnB's and my paranoia always spikes.

How do you sweep for those? I've used a number of AirBnB's and my paranoia always spikes.

Anything with a mic will cause feedback to another one so a speaker with a microphone attached will catch those.

Otherwise you can find bug detectors online for various prices.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I also wonder how many sex dungeons are available on AirBnB if this one didn't get noticed until it went up for sale.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm just saying, there's not enough bleach in the world to make me want to use another person's sex dungeon.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm just saying, there's not enough bleach in the world to make me want to use another person's sex dungeon.

Community dungeons are a major thing. Most people can't afford to own them. There are also cleaning services specifically for kink.

I mean its implied you BYOB of course but anything not inserted is easily cleaned

And should be.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Anything with a mic will cause feedback to another one so a speaker with a microphone attached will catch those.

I’m only familiar with feedback in th common poor mic control at amateur venue sense. Why would a separate mic cause feedback? I’m just curious how that works.

PSN: Honkalot
    edited February 2019
    Honk wrote: »

I’m only familiar with feedback in th common poor mic control at amateur venue sense. Why would a separate mic cause feedback? I’m just curious how that works.

I meant more if you put two mics close together they will always generate feedback rather than feedback causes by a poor sound engineer.

That wont always pick up cameras since smart perverts will have separate video and audio. So something that specifically picks up electromagnetic waves is probably a good idea

King Riptor on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular

I meant more if you put two mics close together they will always generate feedback rather than feedback causes by a poor sound engineer.

That wont always pick up cameras since smart perverts will have separate video and audio. So something that specifically picks up electromagnetic waves is probably a good idea

There's these things to help detect the lenses of a camera
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0hUhNtR-sk

Don't know how well they work, but it seems like a logical method of lens detection.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I just need to know where the cameras are so I know which direction to blankly stare while furiously masturbating.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    see317 wrote: »

Don't know how well they work, but it seems like a logical method of lens detection.

I love how pushy-paranoid the tone of this video is

Multiple hidden cameras ARE watching you RIGHT NOW
    Hotels and bathrooms have cameras ALL OF THE TIME

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I mean if some dude wants to see me naked then

ijt3fo7pq6ba.png

I’m also skeptical that thing works, lenses have different shapes and are made of glass. Lots of things are also made of glass. Like yes, if a dot in the plaster wall is blinking back at you maybe you’ll find that camera but there’s probably sneakier places to put them where it would be hard to see with that thing. And what if I put a filter for red wavelengths on my camera now that you’ve made an ad for your red-led countermeasure. I win again.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

Why will they do that?

Im not sure of the science behind it to be honest.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Im not sure of the science behind it to be honest.

Mics operate by highlander rules. They just normally don't have the legs required to position themselves for duels.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular

I wonder how many hotels have started installing them just for security purposes. Big compajies do questionable things all the time.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg

I wonder how many hotels have started installing them just for security purposes. Big compajies do questionable things all the time.

No doubt it has happened at places just due to probability, but I don’t think many actually. That’s jail or massive fines in most places as soon as someone finds one of them.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

No doubt it has happened at places just due to probability, but I don’t think many actually. That’s jail or massive fines in most places as soon as someone finds one of them.

Besides, you get basically all you would really need with cameras in the hallways.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    This isn't chat

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    edited February 2019

The (I have to assume )world wide lawsuits would basically end a company.

No it'll be small privately owned places or air Bnb pervs or one time a wizard

Also maybe someone should make a thread about spytech so we dont derail this one?

King Riptor on
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I remember the articles about the hotel owner voyeur who filmed his guests for decades and then everyone wrote online articles about how informative it was as they psychoanalyzed the guests behaviour.

Basically, yes it happens and you'll end up the subject of an article going in depth about your sexual encounters.

fakedit-oh, and a netflix documentary too.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I remember the articles about the hotel owner voyeur who filmed his guests for decades and then everyone wrote online articles about how informative it was as they psychoanalyzed the guests behaviour.

Basically, yes it happens and you'll end up the subject of an article going in depth about your sexual encounters.

fakedit-oh, and a netflix documentary too.

That was the owner of a small motel. Something like that is never going to happen (outside of a rogue employee) in a large, corporate hotel as a matter of official policy, for security purposes.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Community dungeons are a major thing. Most people can't afford to own them. There are also cleaning services specifically for kink.

hank_scorpio_flamethrower.gif