As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Metaphor Appreciation Evocation

BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
edited February 2019 in Social Entropy++
I'm writing a post, in a thread, on a forum, on the world wide web, to tell you about how cool metaphor is. "But what is metaphor?" you might be asking. Simple!

He typed the bad thread like his hands were a pair of hams. NO, THAT'S TERRIBLE!

He ham-fistedly typed the bad thread. NOW WE'RE TALKING!

Look at that shit. Hands made out of ham? How's he typing with those? What a mental image the words have evoked! And so compact compared to the simile! *slaps roof of metaphor* this bad boy can fit so much fucking imagery in it!

We use metaphor all the time without even realizing it. Look at the first sentence in this post. Do you know what those are? That's right, they're fucking metaphors. This is not a literal "post" or "thread" in a "forum" or on a "messageboard" on a "web," in any literal sense except the one where people forgot why we call them posts and threads and etc. so they fossilized into normal words. That's language happening in real time in front of you. It's called a post to evoke the idea of physically posting a piece of paper to a wall, as in what a "post no bills" sign is referring to. It's called a thread because it is a way of creating a thread of conversation (a different metaphor that was used as design inspiration) out of the chaos that would otherwise just be electronic messages being shown at random without any way to connect one to another. It's not a literal forum, that would be a building or assembly of some kind where people hold debates. It's software designed to facilitate discussions in a way that evokes a physical forum or messageboard. The name "world wide web" is a metaphor that evokes the idea of a spider's web where each of the strands is a network connection between remote computers. And being cool doesn't mean you're literally low in temperature, it probably comes from keeping your cool under pressure or something, I don't know. Only dorks try to define what cool means.

Which brings me to the next best thing about metaphor: its use in insults! Do you know what a dork is? That's right, an old-timey slang word for penis. Calling someone a dork is metaphor! Calling someone a motherfucker is also a metaphor. A metaphor for someone who has sex with other people's mothers, if meant in a positive way, or their own mother, if meant in a negative way! Like the word fuck in general, it is strangely versatile.

Metaphors are also probably a universal concept to humans. It's just a language expression of how our brains build ideas: linking an idea to another existing idea to help define or refine it. The only metaphor from a non-english language I can think of off the top of my head is a Japanese insult that translates literally to "goldfish poop," applied to a person who follows others around in an overly dependent manner, comparing them to the string of feces trailing from the anus of a kind of goldfish that is a cultural touchstone over there, I guess.

IN CONCLUSION, METAPHOR IS A LAND OF CONTRASTS

BahamutZERO.gif
BahamutZERO on

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    i fopunxdfd tfhidv in fsertsrting andf i nzspidra\rtio0na\l

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    "i found this interesting and inspirational"

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I suppose the next thing to try is an actual pair of hams.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Metaphors are like crap. Similes are like gold.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    your opinion stinks!
    damn it I should have made this a metaphor vs. simile poll thread

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I've never known what a simile was before this.
    I can't tell you what it's been like.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    this is a nice to read article about the biblical, literary and philosophical provenance of metaphors

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    when you think about it, isn't everything a metaphor

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

I don't see why not

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

I won't think about it, and you can't make me. I am a rock.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    ipbyo4jg8okg.jpeg

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I'm writing a post, in a thread, on a forum, on the world wide web, to tell you about how cool metaphor is. "But what is metaphor?"

It allows competitive players to narrow the scope of their practice and preparation by focusing on just what's currently popular in the competitive scene.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'm writing a post, in a thread, on a forum, on the world wide web, to tell you about how cool metaphor is. "But what is metaphor?"

It allows competitive players to narrow the scope of their practice and preparation by focusing on just what's currently popular in the competitive scene.

GO TO JAIL

• Options
    the etymology of metaphorical:
    meta, meaning cheating
    phori, an archaic form of the number four
    cal, referring to the university of california at berkeley where metaphors were first invented 48 years ago

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    metaphors are just puns that are putting on airs

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    This thread is trying to fuck the antlers off a jackalope.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

I won't think about it, and you can't make me. I am a rock.

Have you considered becoming fire

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »

GO TO JAIL

you'll never take me alive

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    do you mean literally alive, or metaphorically alive

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    do you mean literally alive, or metaphorically alive

Yes

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Metaphors are pretty cool. They're cool like a winter night.

Metaphors are great. Great like an iron lattice blocking an entrance.

You might even say metaphors are neat as a well-made bed.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    you... silly goose

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SLyM wrote: »
    Metaphors are pretty cool. They're cool like a winter night.

Metaphors are great. Great like an iron lattice blocking an entrance.

You might even say metaphors are neat as a well-made bed.

Those are all similes

cdci44qazyo3.gif