As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Just checked and boy is she ever. Currently she's heavily specialized into making sure sorcerers and daemons are gonna have a bad time, but prior to 8th she had stronger casting stats overall, and a special power called "aura of oppression" that had two different-strength versions; a single non-vehicle unit one, and an area attack version, both of which force pinning tests and even if they pass the aura still prevented the affected unit(s) from being able to use a variety of movement abilities or firing overwatch.

I just wanted to add some emphasis to that last bit. Like, she was able to basically 'turn off' an enemy gunline to open them up to charges using the 12" area version of Aura of Oppression.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    yeah she was mega-busted for her points cost

she is now very adequate but not culexus good

she is rad as fuck though

• Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    I want an Ork action RPG where you start off as a lowly Ork boy and end as a Warboss leading his own WAAAGH! You can customize your boy with skill trees that go into the various Ork combat disciplines(?) Along the way, you recruit more boyz to the cause and fight your rivals in a Shadow of Mordor style Nemesis system.

My initial idea was that your Ork gets bopped on the head and sees a vision of Gork and Mork proclaiming him their prophet or something, which turns out is basically the story behind Ghazgkull, so maybe make the game about him.

sXXjb1B.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Culexus are my favourite assassins

They're the weirdest, but they have the most personality. They are kind of silly but terrifying. And they have that kind of ancient Imperial "what the fuck?!?!?" weaponry that I adore.

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Culexus assassins use weaponized social awkwardness to kill people with their anxiety, it’s like the idealized super version of me.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    How's the Vindicate now a days? Given the lethality of 8th, I'm curious how they flavored the rifle.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Vindicare assassins are… well they pay a bunch for the standard assassin close combat profile which they will only use if you make a mistake and then they just aren’t very good at assassination with their guns.
    I mean, OK, combining the effects of their special ammunition is a good idea, as is having them straight up ignore cover save bonuses, but one shot per turn with a 1/6 chance of doing D6 wounds doesn’t even kill an IG officer in one shot these days. They don’t even have the now-standard bonus mortal wound that every other sniper gets. Oh and you have to go out of your way to get one rather than it being in a proper army list anywhere yet.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Vindicare assassins are… well they pay a bunch for the standard assassin close combat profile which they will only use if you make a mistake and then they just aren’t very good at assassination with their guns.
    I mean, OK, combining the effects of their special ammunition is a good idea, as is having them straight up ignore cover save bonuses, but one shot per turn with a 1/6 chance of doing D6 wounds doesn’t even kill an IG officer in one shot these days. They don’t even have the now-standard bonus mortal wound that every other sniper gets. Oh and you have to go out of your way to get one rather than it being in a proper army list anywhere yet.

also they're the most expensive too!

essentially you either take 3 of them so you can actually kill something, or don't touch them at all

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I kind of want Assassins in kill team
    But as a duo since I feel that is how they really operate

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Shame about Vindicare, how about the other types, how are they faring in 8th?
    • Callidus
    • Eversor
    • Death Cult

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited February 2019
    • Callidus
    • Eversor
    • Death Cult

culexus is by far the best, both because the aura absolutely dumpsters psykers and lets them snipe them, but also because the culexus is 6+ to hit for everything (melee and shooting)

the eversor is pretty good and will also see some competitive play because he will almost always earn his points back either shredding through troops or squishy characters, and he also has a chance to explode in a shower of goo that drops mortal wounds everywhere

callidus is just... fine? they have some weird first turn rules that maybe makes your opponent fizzle their CP and they are almost guaranteed a charge, things also don't get invuln saves against them
    the problem is they just don't really excel at doing anything?

death cult is just a unit you take, they aren't part of officio assinorum

PiptheFair on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    basically other than the defensive buffs a vindicare doesn't do anything the equivalent amount of points in skitarii ranger arquebus squads won't do much better.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    the important things is that they all got new models a bit back, and don't look like hot dogshit anymore

PiptheFair wrote: »
    the important things is that they all got new models a bit back, and don't look like hot dogshit anymore

I got Execution Force as part of a deal when I got back into 40k via Warhammer Quest Silver Tower.
    Part of me likes it but they are busy looking models so I feel if they come to kill team I would use the old ones I have since they are painted

PiptheFair wrote: »
    • Callidus
    • Eversor
    • Death Cult

culexus is by far the best, both because the aura absolutely dumpsters psykers and lets them snipe them, but also because the culexus is 6+ to hit for everything (melee and shooting)

the eversor is pretty good and will also see some competitive play because he will almost always earn his points back either shredding through troops or squishy characters, and he also has a chance to explode in a shower of goo that drops mortal wounds everywhere

callidus is just... fine? they have some weird first turn rules that maybe makes your opponent fizzle their CP and they are almost guaranteed a charge, things also don't get invuln saves against them
    the problem is they just don't really excel at doing anything?

death cult is just a unit you take, they aren't part of officio assinorum

Heh, I know DCA aren't 'official' assassins, but I figured I might as well ask while we were on the topic.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    All I know is Love Can Bloom is canon now with a machinama to boot, and that makes a special nerd part of me extremely happy.

All I know is Love Can Bloom is canon now with a machinama to boot, and that makes a special nerd part of me extremely happy.

You talking about the Rowboat xenos love triangle

Nah, although I wouldn't be surprised. I mean the Dawn Of War Taldeer/Vindicare ship.

edited February 2019
    ...I had heard there was a canonical reference to LIIVI in a FFG Dark Heresy book, but isn't
    Taldeer the sister who's soulstone Ronahn is looking for in DoW2, and a wraith knight in DoW3?

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    They have a complex and multifaceted relationship.

I mean, I guess there's nothing saying the Craftworld Eldar don't have
    normal-sized, more natural looking wraith harnesses. Everything we've been shown, from wraithguard on up to wraithknights are for battle, but who's to say there isn't something more like Ghost in the Shell's full-body prosthetics for non-military uses?

camo_sig2-400.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    There is a very impressive Donald Trump God Emperor of Mankind paper mache statue. I know some peeps don't like pics so here's the link for anyone interested.

http://time.com/5526224/trump-float-italy/

I feel like that's giving the man entirely too much credit.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Games workshop really has some problems with cultivating awful fans

Like, i guess they seem to be trying recently to slowly turn that ship, but they still have a fanbase that does shit like thst and it grosses me out

The good is they are trying to go beyond that fan base. The bad is that fanbase still exists and is quite vocal.

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Games workshop really has some problems with cultivating awful fans

Like, i guess they seem to be trying recently to slowly turn that ship, but they still have a fanbase that does shit like thst and it grosses me out

I mean there is a press release about it and it's apparently satire making fun of Trump's oversized ego and feeling of self importance. Can't find the link on my phone though.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The statue is Italian satire. It's a carnival float. Whether or not it succeeds at satirising him or is deifying Trump... YMMV. Conservative commentators seem to take it as a positive thing, though perhaps they missed the Putin on Trump's shoulderpad.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Awful people have been non-ironically pasting his head onto pics of the Emperor for a while now so its pretty bad satire.

"Actually if you read these 3 novels and this wikipedia article you'll see that depicting him as a huge golden warrior god is a bad thing"

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    I don't think some of them were satire

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Satire is a bankrupt concept

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    It's funny because the Emperor is despite his vast intelligence, a fucking idiot.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    He was also a racist, power mad asshole

Karl wrote: »
    It's funny because the Emperor is despite his vast intelligence, a fucking idiot.

'"God does not exist," says man in universe in which four separate groups of gods exist'.

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    To be fair to him, he knew they existed. He just wanted everyone else to believe they didn't.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    To be fair to him, he knew they existed. He just wanted everyone else to believe they didn't.

And denial of an unpleasant reality in favor of what you want reality to be is a very Trumpian thing.

It's extremely doubtful suppression of their existence resulted in a better outcome than open knowledge.

Hell, even Ciaphas Cain knows the gist of them.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

'"God does not exist," says man in universe in which four separate groups of gods exist'.
    The Eldar gods, the Chaos gods, the C'tan, and who else?

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    The Emperor should have fully explained to Magnus and Lorgar what was up.

That would have solved most of the issues.

Delduwath wrote: »

The best ones.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

The best ones.

Can’t decide whether to agree or awesome so have a :+1:

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
This discussion has been closed.