As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anthem] Early Access is live. Please mark spoilers. God speed, Freelancers.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I’m gonna try to keep my javelins relatively even at first, and probably for as long as it remains feasible. I’d rather be adaptable and let others play their favorites. I find them all fun anyway.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    Just as a note, game releases GLOBALLY on Friday, but that means if you're in NA you actually get it sooner, on the 14th. Check on origin!

And happy valentine's day!

is3wo3lbxb5i.png

*wonders if this would pass as a good vday gift for the wife*

Me: happy vday hun! I got you a lot of free time to yourself to do whatever you want!

Obviously happy wife: oh thank you honey you're so considerate!!!!

That's how it works, right?

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    Just as a note, game releases GLOBALLY on Friday, but that means if you're in NA you actually get it sooner, on the 14th. Check on origin!

is3wo3lbxb5i.png

Me: happy vday hun! I got you a lot of free time to yourself to do whatever you want!

hmm hmm hmm

yep for non-vidjagaem wives this does check out yes.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I'm going all in on Colossus. Give me all the BEEF.

Got no interest in Interceptor, might dabble abit in Ranger and Storm. Maybe try to relive my Mass Effect sniper glory days with the former.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

is3wo3lbxb5i.png

hmm hmm hmm

yep for non-vidjagaem wives this does check out yes.

Abort! Abort!

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    My new GPU has made it to Mississauga. Come on little guy, you can do it, arrive before Thursday!

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular

is3wo3lbxb5i.png

I explained the situation to my wife and she said:
    "Oh cool so we get to play together all evening!"

Nailed it, you guys. I did it.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    My new GPU has made it to Mississauga. Come on little guy, you can do it, arrive before Thursday!

I feel like Mississauga is where my packages go to get drunk and have a good time. It's only 40 minutes away from me, but they show up two days later and I just know...

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Would be nice if the same release logic applied to 2/21. I expect the time between the 10 hours and launch is going to be... :cool: ... a trial.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Wait, PS4 doesn't get early access? Boo. Booooooooo. (although if that gives them some time to iron out some launch-day server issues ... yay?)

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Early access is only for Origin Access users isn’t it?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    soylenth wrote: »
    Wait, PS4 doesn't get early access? Boo. Booooooooo. (although if that gives them some time to iron out some launch-day server issues ... yay?)

Because PS4 doesn't have origin access, in a recent interview with Bioware this one wasn't up to them it was EA's call.

new bioware tweet I'm guessing we'll get one for each jav

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    They did the one for Interceptor already:

Another interesting bit of info:

• Options
    Giving away free cosmetics? Where's my click bait on that?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Did they mix some Crazy Train into the theme for that Interceptor clip?

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »
    Did they mix some Crazy Train into the theme for that Interceptor clip?

They used it for the launch video, I guess they thought they'd use more of the mix for that slice.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    PS4 preorder done. See ya soon.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    So wanna make sure I'm understanding how getting this on origin works. I went and got the origin premium thing to play early. From what I can tell the special legion of dawn version is part of that and I have it now. Even though I didn't specifically buy the actual game? Am I crazy or is this how it's supposed to work.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    So wanna make sure I'm understanding how getting this on origin works. I went and got the origin premium thing to play early. From what I can tell the special legion of dawn version is part of that and I have it now. Even though I didn't specifically buy the actual game? Am I crazy or is this how it's supposed to work.

From what I can tell, it’s like PS+ or Xbox Live Gold. You get all the games in their ‘Vault’ and can play them as much as you want but if you lapse your subscription you can’t access them. When you resub they unlock and your saves are on the cloud so they unlock too.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »

If you have Origin Access Premier, you have access to pretty much everything ever (made be EA), including all DLC/expansions. This includes Anthem LoD edition.

You don't have to do anything extra, it's all yours now. At least until you cancel your membership.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Figgy wrote: »

I feel like Mississauga is where my packages go to get drunk and have a good time. It's only 40 minutes away from me, but they show up two days later and I just know...

They apparently drove the truck overnight last night to my city as it immediately left Mississauga and might arrive a day early, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Thursday/Friday still needs to hurry up though.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    htm wrote: »
    The demo was completely and enjoyably playable on M/Kb once you understood how to fix the settings. Flight was a little slushy, but nowhere near game breaking.

I dunno, the first thing I did after flying 10 feet was stop and adjust the three flight settings available in different permutations and it all felt like garbage. I didn't end up trying the ini edits or whatever were out there because I didn't need a PTT key or anything, so I stayed on controller for the demo.

Control feel is entirely subjective, of course, but after I cranked down the "Flight Response" and "Flight Precision" settings to zero, flying controls became a moderately janky version of what they are in every other third person game I've played. Not great, but I was able to swoop through canyons, skim over rivers for extra cooling, and target my Interceptor's Tasmanian Devil melee dive bombs with precision.

For anyone who wants to play M/Kb on the PC version and has been alarmed at all the people claiming Anthem is unplayable that way, I'd advise you to wait and try the game yourself before investing in a controller. The devs have said it'll be much better at launch, but even if it's not, someone will figure out how to make it better. I didn't try the .ini edits, either, but apparently, there's a whole realm of tweaking the engine's control feel available to PC players. Someone on Reddit will probably figure it out.

From what the devs are saying it sounds like a lot of the PC defaults are going to be adjusted for release so its more raw mouse imput feel which made stuff a lot less janky in the demo when I turned their weird acceleration stuff all the way off. With that stuff on things were weird how fast you moved the mouse changed how far stuff would turn which just made it really squirrely. But it looked like they recognized those issues gave good recipe for fixing them and I fully expect on launch those changes being default should make it fine for most people.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    What does Apex Legends’ success mean for Anthem?

Interesting thoughts. At this point there's more entertainment options than most of us have time for, so if Anthem is good, I'd imagine it'll be fine. But it's a bit worrying that Apex Legends will be competing for time now along with the Division 2 open beta and release. Given the rocky demo, didn't do Anthem any favors.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

They apparently drove the truck overnight last night to my city as it immediately left Mississauga and might arrive a day early, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Thursday/Friday still needs to hurry up though.

I'm building a computer specifically for this game and my CPU/GPU/SSD aren't supposed to arrive until Thursday. Gonna hope that the snowstorm on Tues doesn't delay Canada Post.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I'm always confused by developers who appear surprised to discover that human beings with opposable thumbs, fleshy skin and two eyes react poorly to mouse acceleration.

Are they just spiders from mars? Do they not use mice? Are they unfamiliar with personal computing devices? Is there some sort of popular anti-mouse interface solution I'm unaware of, perhaps called a cat?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »

Interesting thoughts. At this point there's more entertainment options than most of us have time for, so if Anthem is good, I'd imagine it'll be fine. But it's a bit worrying that Apex Legends will be competing for time now along with the Division 2 open beta and release. Given the rocky demo, didn't do Anthem any favors.

Considering Apex Legends is pure PvP and Anthem is pure PvE, I don't see either hurting their playerbases. I am super addicted to Apex Legends right now, but I'm also still really hyped for Anthem. They both fill different and necessary parts of my gaming experiences.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Trajan45 wrote: »

Considering Apex Legends is pure PvP and Anthem is pure PvE, I don't see either hurting their playerbases. I am super addicted to Apex Legends right now, but I'm also still really hyped for Anthem. They both fill different and necessary parts of my gaming experiences.

Pretty much, the last few days I've been playing some Apex Legends but it's like...I'll play something else for a bit, then do a few rounds of Apex and be good on it for a bit. It's good at being a good break game but it by no means is going to cut into my Anthem time.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I wonder if you can get some kind of "healthy on melee kill" for the Interceptor to make it feel more ME Vanguard-like

I like the playstyle of getting into faces and slicing + shotgunning, and the Vanguard added that great twist of making it beneficial to charge headlong into the chaos

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Yea there is some fictional consumer that currently who doesn't know anything about anthem that may have purchased it when bored browsing the store looking for new games, that is now too busy playing apex to browse the store, but I refuse to believe that's that many people

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    I wonder if you can get some kind of "healthy on melee kill" for the Interceptor to make it feel more ME Vanguard-like

I like the playstyle of getting into faces and slicing + shotgunning, and the Vanguard added that great twist of making it beneficial to charge headlong into the chaos

Loot spoilers
    There were some datamined masterworks that weren't exactly a generic 'health on kill,' but a couple of the gear pieces for interceptor give shield or health. The Plasma Star masterwork bonus is something like restore 20% shield on a weak-point kill, and the Spark Dash masterwork is restore health (unknown%) on kill. These were data-mined from the demo, so they could very well have changed since then

• Options
    Apex is also EA right? So its success might also take the pressure off Anthem from EA's perspective "well we have the next fortnite we can let anthem cook and become a warframe success like success?" I know that's expecting crazy town.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I think it might be a fairly good play in the long run if Apex stays as popular. Apex is only available through origin so all EA has to do to get eyes on Anthem is have a title page on Origin launch with Anthem displayed. 10 million unique Apex players is no joke, if a fraction of those people see Anthem and think it looks cool that's a win.

EDIT: I just realized that the 10 million is spread across all platforms. But even still a good number of those players will be playing PC.

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Early access is only for Origin Access users isn’t it?

Oh, there's zero chance I'm ever signing up for the origin thing so that's fine i guess.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    If Apex does end up eating into Anthem's sales/cutting off its legs, thats a real smooth move by EA releasing it just weeks before Anthem.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Apex is also EA right? So its success might also take the pressure off Anthem from EA's perspective "well we have the next fortnite we can let anthem cook and become a warframe success like success?" I know that's expecting crazy town.

I suspect EA actually underestimated Apex - they saw it as this experimental thing that may or may not succeed, while Anthem is their big main event. In reality I think it might be the reverse. I do hope Anthem is good and/or has a long tail of further improvements, but I don't intend to play it at launch anymore because I'll be busy with Apex for the foreseeable future.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    I unfortunately got no interest in PVP and battle royale stuff in particular so a lot of stuff like Overwatch and Fortnite have passed me by. Tried em, weren't for me.

There are trends I can get behind like awhile back when survival games were super hot, I loved those but sadly, these type of games do nothing for me.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »

I suspect EA actually underestimated Apex - they saw it as this experimental thing that may or may not succeed, while Anthem is their big main event. In reality I think it might be the reverse. I do hope Anthem is good and/or has a long tail of further improvements, but I don't intend to play it at launch anymore because I'll be busy with Apex for the foreseeable future.

The games scratch different enough itches for me that I can see myself frequently swapping between the two.

The rocky betas are the main reason I'm skipping launch to ensure everything is ship shape when I start playing.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular

Not to pile on or doomsay, but that would require EA showing signs of long-term intelligence.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options

We might also see the Activision reaction. ‘This free to play small game is actually making a lot of money through its MTX, please revise Anthems sales figures up’.

Or worse. ‘Well gamers don’t seem to have a problem with MTX anymore given Apex’s success, hey Bioware? Getting the hint?’.

This discussion has been closed.