As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Brooklyn Nine-Nine] - The next time you see me I'm going to be all out of orgasms.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »
    So Brooklyn 99 is back.

Can anyone tell me why Amy is in an officer's uniform? I guess it mean she got demoted but I can't for the life of me remember when or why.

Promoted from detective to sergeant in charge of the uniformed officers or something like that.

For people who don't know, in the US, detective is a job title in most police departments that connotes different day to day responsibilities (and usually a pay increase) but not a rank in the traditional sense.

In the show now Jake, Scully and Hitchcock are all rank and file police officers assigned to the detective bureau. Amy was promoted from PO to Sarge and is now the same rank as Jeffords - but is no longer assigned to their detective bureau.

I forget, has she done "detective" stuff since the promotion? I feel like she has contributed a few times, like it was only a promotion with only partial duties?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Loved the episode with Judy in it. All of his appearances have been great

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    As expected, plastered Holt is wonderful.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »
    So Brooklyn 99 is back.

Can anyone tell me why Amy is in an officer's uniform? I guess it mean she got demoted but I can't for the life of me remember when or why.

Promoted from detective to sergeant in charge of the uniformed officers or something like that.

For people who don't know, in the US, detective is a job title in most police departments that connotes different day to day responsibilities (and usually a pay increase) but not a rank in the traditional sense.

In the show now Jake, Scully and Hitchcock are all rank and file police officers assigned to the detective bureau. Amy was promoted from PO to Sarge and is now the same rank as Jeffords - but is no longer assigned to their detective bureau.

I forget, has she done "detective" stuff since the promotion? I feel like she has contributed a few times, like it was only a promotion with only partial duties?

To my recall we've largely seen her around the 99 when in uniform, largely not doing her job since that involves supervising people who aren't characters on the show and all that.

I think most of the time we've seen her outside of that it has been in the context as a friend to the others or as Jake's partner.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    NBC has ordered a seventh season.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    And here's the moment the cast and crew found out.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Andre Braugher just sitting there and clapping all dignified

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Is Jake's new hair slightly creepy to anyone else?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    Is Jake's new hair slightly creepy to anyone else?

It's really weird!

• Options
    he needs to go full curly and embrace his wild side

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    he needs to go full curly and embrace his wild side

As a curly dude who is growing his hair out long for the first time ever, I can sympathize with his awkward period

• Options
    I enjoy how Dirk Blocker and Joel McKinnon are basically in costume during the table read.

• Options
    I enjoy how Dirk Blocker and Joel McKinnon are basically in costume during the table read.

I'm also glad they took Chelsea Peretti's spot in the opening credits when she left.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I'm also glad they took Chelsea Peretti's spot in the opening credits when she left.

I think my favorite episode might be when you find out that they are both good detectives.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I think my favorite episode might be when you find out that they are both good detectives.

Duh-doi

Einzel on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The most recent episode, which was Me Too themed was very, very solid.

Also, Stephanie Beatriz (aka Rosa) directed it.
    https://www.glamour.com/story/stephanie-beatriz-directing-brooklyn-nine-nine
    So that's awesome too!

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Yeah I felt like that was an Important Episode.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    It retroactively explains a lot about a main character's behavior over the series. I really liked it.

Also the lady from "Great News !" Is in it

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Damn that was a great episode.
    This is a thing shows win an emmy for right?

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Damn that was a great episode.
    This is a thing shows win an emmy for right?

The Emmys are pretty stodgy and consistent, so it's hard for shows not in the club to break in. Veep will win, almost regardless of what else happens (for example, The Good Place existing). In a happier world, Fumero would get a nomination and be able to submit this episode. Like Crews should have for the Terry gets profiled one I think two years ago. Braugher (three times) and Sterling K. Brown for guest actor are the only nominations they've gotten for acting. They have won a couple for stunt coordination in a comedy.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Beatriz is a great director; that was my favorite episode of the season. I hope she helms more stories.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    It retroactively explains a lot about a main character's behavior over the series. I really liked it.

Also the lady from "Great News !" Is in it

For example, now we know that Amy periodically shouts that she's in uniform for reasons unrelated to combating sexism.

• Options
    The middle episodes felt kind of filler but the beginning and the last like one have been great and I hope they keep it up.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    man, can someone spoiler this B99 ep for me? I feel like maybe something dealing with #metoo is not for Bel and I, but I hate to miss out on an episode of what's become maybe our favorite show, directed by current Bel's fave actress...

spool32 on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    If the "Terry gets profiled" episode from a couple years ago wasn't too much, this won't be either. It's typical of B99 style, where there is a serious issue and the characters react to it seriously enough to not make light of the topic, but the episode remains mostly jokes.
    A woman is charged with assault after injuring a co-worker she claims was being sexually aggressive. Jake and Amy investigate the claim and find a suspicious workplace culture. Amy has to decide whether to advise the woman to pursue the claim or accept a large settlement. It is revealed that a historical incident of harassment makes this particularly personal to Amy.

It's not any more graphic than that, really. It is affecting, but in more a "thoughtful" than "emotionally devastating" way.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    man, can someone spoiler this B99 ep for me? I feel like maybe something dealing with #metoo is not for Bel and I, but I hate to miss out on an episode of what's become maybe our favorite show, directed by current Bel's fave actress...
    Jake/Amy get paired on a case involving a supposed sexual assault, that led to an actual assault. Male employee at an investment firm makes unwanted physical advances on a female employee, female defends herself by hitting him in the junk with a golf club, which absolutely obliterates his penis. They bring both in, and have contradictory stories. Amy wants to really get the guy who assaulted the woman, but the woman is hesitant to press the matter, as the company offers her 2 million dollars to sign an NDA and basically never talk about it again. Amy says 'screw the money, this guy should be in jail' but Rosa pipes in with the pragmatic 'this money will change her life, and you don't have any physical evidence, so if you pursue this in the name of being morally correct, there's a chance that she both won't get paid AND he'll walk.' This is made more difficult by the fact that they go to interview the other employees to try and figure out what happened, only for them to all repeat the same obviously rehearsed line given to them by the company lawyers.

Eventually, Rosa comes around, and the trio decide to pursue the case from a criminal standpoint. They come up with nothing, until one of the employees (nicknamed Beefer) comes forward and shares a text chain where the male employee completely admits to wrongdoing, and corroborates the womans telling of events. Not out of kindnesss, though, it's purely so he can get a promotion once the assaulter is fired/convicted. Excited to share the news, Amy goes to the workplace to tell the woman, only to learn that she's quitting anyway, since the workplace is now toxic against her after having took a stand, and she sees no more avenues for opportunity or advancement. But she's ultimately grateful to Amy for standing up for her.

Jake is...also there throughout the whole thing, but mostly to illustrate that most men live their lives completely oblivious to the amount of bullshit that women have to put up with on a day-to-day basis. Several clips are played of especially egregious mysogyny, like Amy and Jake standing next to each other, him in just a regular jeans/hoodie, and her in full uniform, and a bystander refusing to acknowledge her existence as a police officer.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    cheers, that seems powerful but not triggering. I've heard a few reports of people saying it was really heavy, that they cried multiple times during the episode, it had me worried.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    cheers, that seems powerful but not triggering. I've heard a few reports of people saying it was really heavy, that they cried multiple times during the episode, it had me worried.
    There is one that might strike that up, with a depressed and dejected Amy admitting to Jake that the reason she is being so stubborn on this case is because she, herself was assaulted by a previous mentor, but never said anything out of fear of reprisal. And the fact that it was her mentor, caused her to doubt for years whether she was a good cop, or even deserved to be a detective, or if her advancement was simply based on the person above her wanting to have sex. It's broken up by jokes from Jake, but is otherwise played completely straight.

Javen on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I suspect that the triggering aspects are largely due to the number of "that is exactly what happened to me" and "I have had that conversation too many times" moments.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    There is one that might strike that up, with a depressed and dejected Amy admitting to Jake that the reason she is being so stubborn on this case is because she, herself was assaulted by a previous mentor, but never said anything out of fear of reprisal. And the fact that it was her mentor, caused her to doubt for years whether she was a good cop, or even deserved to be a detective, or if her advancement was simply based on the person above her wanting to have sex. It's broken up by jokes from Jake, but is otherwise played completely straight.
    I would even go further and say that nothing happens on-screen, and even Amy's story was less about a specific assault and more about expectations of sexual favors. (IIRC, that is. I'm not looking at a transcript, feel free to drop the specifics on me.)

That said, it's a powerfully written episode, despite being very reserved in what they show. They walk the line of light humor and serious topics expertly. This is one of the few shows that can do a Very Special Episode in a satisfying way, IMO.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Side note on the ep:
    I have to say that I really enjoy how they write Jake in these kinds of scenes. He never tries to steal the show, listens to what they are saying, makes it clear he will never fully understand what they went through, and just tries to be as supportive as possible.

• Options
    Side note on the ep:
    I have to say that I really enjoy how they write Jake in these kinds of scenes. He never tries to steal the show, listens to what they are saying, makes it clear he will never fully understand what they went through, and just tries to be as supportive as possible.

Team Schur makes a genuine effort to be diverse, which helps in these moments.

• Options
    Side note on the ep:

Team Schur makes a genuine effort to be diverse, which helps in these moments.

Listening to the Good Place podcast has cemented that Schur himself is a very thoughtful person and he surrounds himself with very thoughtful people.

Just listening to everyone from the lowest script assistant up to his associate producers and directors consistently comment on how the atmosphere of his shows are just joyful and inclusive produces some amazing stuff.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    This latest episode is gold so far. The Holt scenes have been amazing this season but this rice conversation is masterclass.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Holt has been en fuego all season.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Charles channeling his inner Tobias Fünke.

Love it.

• Options
    This season has been good. And they did the Halloween Heist episode yesterday and it is amazing, like always.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    This show is amazing. Every episode is smart and funny.
    Andre Brauer is a legend.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/VfKJxowxBb4
    Yeah it's not B99 but where else would I put this?