As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars [Galaxy of Heroes]. Why Yes, Kylo, You Can Be on Vader's Team.

196979899100102»

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    They dropped that no reward demo battle, I think. Replaced with extra attempts (for no rewards, of course) on the other tiers.

12 shards short on Hoda. Was waiting for a 15-pack to get them all at once, so I skipped the 5 offered earlier. After the shop refresh...10-pack available.

This fuckin’ game.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Depends on the event. Like Thrawn is just you need to have any 5 Phoenix team members at a certain * level. Teir you just used which ever 5 Phoenix toons to fight the battle. So to get a 7* Thrawn you need at least 5 phoenix toons at 7*

Others are a little more "adventurous" like CLS. It's a "hero's journey". Each tier requires a 2-5 specific characters (ie, R2 and Farmboy Luke. FBL, STHan, Princes Leia).

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    There are pretty much 4 release tiers:
    -Straight to Free To Play. They are currently doing with with Emperor's Shuttle as an example. There's no event with this.
    -Marquee. These are the pay to win events. Characters release low, usually only up to 3 stars. Then you have to buy packs to get them higher. 3-4 months later they will start trickling into the game and eventually become farmable. Marquee events are a one-time only occurrence and they never repeat.
    -Legendary characters. These rotate and always come back. They are more challenging and have stricter requirements for unlocking, usually requiring certain factions. Chewie, C3PO, Thrawn, Emperor, GMY, R2D2 are all examples of Legendary characters.
    -Heroes Journey. Requires very specific characters, usually requires a long buildup. CLS requires specific rebels including R2D2 who is a legendary. RJT requires BB8 who is a legendary, plus Resistance dudes. Heroes journey characters also rotate, but on a slower cycle than legendary characters.

Revan is also a unique case. They called his release an "Ancient Journey" and it wasn't really a hard event. It just requires 5 specific Old Republic characters, and the first time it dropped we also had practically no warning, which made him the ultimate pay to win character.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Revan is also like top tier put in every team it seems like, kind of scummy. Rest of the game feels good for a mobile, but these kind of actions make it discouraging to take it super seriously.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Now I understand the Marquee and why my friend made a comment feeling bad for me when I had to start my revan farms as 2* because they had all gotten them or whichever among them were marquees at 3* and I just didn't know about this release method.

Also I now understand the draw of whaling. I have 25/65 shuttle shards and there's just one more day. They want me to want it just enough to buy "just a couple crystals. No big deal"

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I think they raised the price of the pack to get marquee characters to 4 * too.

It was 9.99, and they just upped it to 19.99.

Pretty shitty.

• Options
    mcp wrote: »
    I think they raised the price of the pack to get marquee characters to 4 * too.

It was 9.99, and they just upped it to 19.99.

Pretty shitty.

While true, it does include $10 in crystals.

It’s still pretty shitty, but not as bad as just straight doubling the price.

• Options
    It's taking a focused effort no to whale for the shuttle. I'm gonna unlock it today most likely, and my Emp is g12 (my RG is only g7), but I know the next * will cost easily over $20 worth of crystals in refreshes to unlock. I keep sorta justifying it by saying I'll be also gearing up my Revan squad.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    I’ve gotten about halfway to the unlock. Not gonna go nuts.

Question...store currency. Am I doing it right?
    Cantina is done, I’m gonna let that build up for a while.
    GW is done. I keep ~10k in reserve and buy ship tokens to get shards.
    Fleet Arena is done, grab zetas whenever I break 2000.
    Squad Arena, I’ve been cashing in for the 1M credits whenever I break 2000.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I think that "doing it right" is subjective based on your goals.

I funnel everything I can into gear. That means all the crystals I earn go to gear. All the Squad Arena currency goes to buying character shards which I convert to Shard Store currency, which I use to buy gear. GW I use for the same. I buy shards to convert to blue currency.

My entire focus right now is gear. So nearly every expenditure I make goes into that.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    It's taking a focused effort no to whale for the shuttle. I'm gonna unlock it today most likely, and my Emp is g12 (my RG is only g7), but I know the next * will cost easily over $20 worth of crystals in refreshes to unlock. I keep sorta justifying it by saying I'll be also gearing up my Revan squad.

I had some crystal reserves from a week of being too busy to do more than bare minimum dailies/hold arena ranks but not refreshing anything so i bought the ship energy pack and have been doing 3 refreshes each day and i'm at 30/65 after today. It also helped in my case that this made sense as a massive boost to my bastilla farm.

if they hadn't changed the ship energy pack from once per day i'd easily be at 5*. hoping it comes back in a reasonable fashion but my guess is at best it's one of the unused last tier fleet nodes which will take me quite a while to get to stilll?

• Options
    Damn, I unlocked it and it's one of my strongest ships. I like it.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    We're into page 102, so I figure it's only a matter of time before some mod is forced to nuke this one from orbit (it's the only way to be sure), so I've made a new one. OP shamelessly stolen from this one, updated a bit, with some anachronistic data left behind because it amused me.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/224112/star-wars-galaxy-of-heroes-grinds-measured-in-months-and-worth-measured-in-gp/p1?new=1

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!