As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Trek] Ship Noises - Spoiler Discovery talk

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Someone is pointing something out.
    https://youtu.be/nFTsctYfWEw

• VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Winky wrote: »
    I'd really like to see a whole episode about Detmer. Her look has always been awesome and I love her actress.

Definitely agree. It is rather interesting how we know so little about the bridge crew so far. Such a different approach from previous treks. We barely got to know Lt Owosekun a couple episodes ago.

VoodooV on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Odo is romancing a lady!

...who is currently in his custody cause she's a criminal and he's in charge of keeping her in protective custody and trying to get her to flip on her crime boss

So that's not weird at all!

Anyway they doing it now

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    The fun bit is I think Siddiq's decision made the character better. It turned it into something that was part of his background and who he was, but wasn't the centrepoint of his identity. It didn't erase what came before, but added to it.

I really enjoyed SFDebris's take on the Our Man Bashir holodeck episode if you watch it knowing the genetic enhancements plot points from later on. He plays the character and gets to use his full capabilities as part of the escapism rather than having things go more smoothly because he is in a holodeck fantasy.

yeah I actually think Siddig's way of responding to the change is part of what makes it click so well for me.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Will Kira get jealous y/n

• MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

Follow up question: will her response involve explosives?

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »

Does the Kai shit in the woods?

Strikor wrote: »
    Mancingtom wrote: »

Does the Kai shit in the woods?

Please don't make me think about Winn Adami's excretion routine.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Little-known fact: Kai Winn believes she has moved beyond basic bodily functions and is too stubborn to admit otherwise, which is why she is now effectively 100% full of crap.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Look, for all we know Bajorans have extremely efficient digestive systems and any waste they produce is eliminated from the body as a mist via sneezing.

steam_sig.png
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    no, bajorans poop, they just have a super long ritual for pooping that involves both tibetan style prayer wheels and catholic style guilt!

edited February 2019
    The Truth:
    threeseashells.jpg

Mancingtom on
  • grumblethorngrumblethorn Registered User regular
    no, bajorans poop, they just have a super long ritual for pooping that involves both tibetan style prayer wheels and catholic style guilt!

And the prayers wheels are toilet paper inscribed with prayers to the prophets.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

And the prayers wheels are toilet paper inscribed with prayers to the prophets.

someone bangs a gong while they do it

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I watched The Reckoning last night. Good episode, lots of very good character moments. High stakes on both the Federation and personal level that manage to get defused without coming off as a reset button. A whole lot of weird fridge logic though too. There's the normal stuff, like why take the rock and not want to return it even though a good set of pictures of the thing would get the job done. No biggie though, the initial decision is a rush job and it helps drive conflict. The bigger one, and one I don't remember impacting things later on, though I could be wrong on that.
    The Pah-Wraith takes over Jake and Kira gets Prophetized, and Odo says they shouldn't use the magic radiation to stop the cage match between the two. This is great because they had an exchange earlier in this episode to make clear that Kira has faith in the prophets but Odo only has faith in her. There's also a good exchange with Worf on the subject later on.

However, Papa Sisko says they shouldn't stop things because he has faith that the Prophets won't harm his son. This makes far less sense, since the Prophets aren't exactly the most obviously benevolent aliens out there, there is reference to the Prophets telling Sisko that he will have to pay a price for some earlier actions they took, and the prophecy on the rock is pretty specific about DS9 exploding due to this. Now I'm OK with Sisko generally getting on the Prophet train, but this seems a bit rushed. The other thing is that while Sisko is convinced that Jake will be OK, at the end of the episode Jake is still recovering in sickbay. Nothing permanent, but he was definitely looking pretty bad towards the end of the fight, and I'm pretty sure that if the fight hadn't been interrupted, then he would have exploded or something. Which is my niggle with the episode, since Sisko doesn't seem to have his faith shaken by those events, and I don't think (or can't remember) that they come up later in the show.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Bajorans are so whiney.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Bajorans are so whiney.

Spend 25 years as a slave in your own home and see how you feel.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Bajorans are so whiney.

i mean, other than the death and starvation, i wish i never had to leave my house!

• SealSeal Registered User regular
    First they were whining about the invasion, occupation, forced labor and the death camps. Then the Cardassians left and it's "the Cardassians poisoned all the soil". It just never ends.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    First they were whining about the invasion, occupation, forced labor and the death camps. Then the Cardassians left and it's "the Cardassians poisoned all the soil". It just never ends.

Starting to suss out who in this thread are Cardassians...

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    CARDASSI EUNT DOMUS

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Bajorans are so whiney.

They got better.

*Dukat smirk*

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    In this time and political environment, I have mixed feelings about even comically idolizing authoritarian stand ins.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Well that explains why I didn't really care for Bashir the first couple seasons.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    CARDASSI EUNT DOMUS

People called Cardassi, they go, the house?

sig.gif
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Gul Dukat - First they were whining about the liberation from the caste system, the peace keepers, the exceedingly high employment rates, and the reductions in costs to healthcare. Then the Cardassians left and it's "The advanced soil fertilization project wasn't completed as planned." It just never ends.

GONG-00 wrote: »
    In this time and political environment, I have mixed feelings about even comically idolizing authoritarian stand ins.

this is actually a pretty good point.

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I'm sort of sad my Siddig/Ra's Al Ghul pun fell so flat :(

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    oh god what the fuck this episode.

There's an entire TNG episode where the only plot is that Riker will not help his friend Worf commit assisted suicide and instead Worf is forced to face both his culture, his principles, his family, and science.

NOT IN DISCOVERY! She was fucking going to do it, in fact she was doing it. What in the fuck.

I don't know what the hell larger overarching series Discovery belongs to but it sure isn't Star Trek.

blech

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    although in this case he was actually going to die a horrible slow death either way, do what ever.
    What I don't get is that if you just not go through with it the thingies fall of and you're fine? And no one has ever thought in their entire history to just not kill themselves the minute the symptoms start?

DanHibiki on
  • SealSeal Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

There's an entire TNG episode where the only plot is that Riker will not help his friend Worf commit assisted suicide and instead Worf is forced to face both his culture, his principles, his family, and science.

NOT IN DISCOVERY! She was fucking going to do it, in fact she was doing it. What in the fuck.

I don't know what the hell larger overarching series Discovery belongs to but it sure isn't Star Trek.

blech
    It felt out of character for Michael. Maybe she should have been more "maybe we should take you back to the doctor?" and less "ok sure gimme that knife". If anything the former mutineer should have been the one to stand up and say: "no that's fucking stupid, you aren't cattle and this isn't some culling. Stop moping and get to sick bay."

Just a complete collapse and surrender by Saru and everyone just sort of shrugs and goes with it. Oh yea on cattle world where we're cattle we just give up and die, as its always been. So lets do that here.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I'm a little surprised he didn't also request that the crew eat him after his death to honor him. All that delicious Kelpien meat would just go to waste otherwise

exactly! she's a scientist, GO SEE A DOCTOR
    ugh so stupid.

also the whole IT SAVED US BY PUSHING US AWAY AT THE LAST MINUTE EMOTION EMOTION EMOTION
    of course it fucking did, why else would it want to send out its story.

fuck this episode was stupid, god this show makes me so mad.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited February 2019

blech
    It felt out of character for Michael. Maybe she should have been more "maybe we should take you back to the doctor?" and less "ok sure gimme that knife". If anything the former mutineer should have been the one to stand up and say: "no that's fucking stupid, you aren't cattle and this isn't some culling. Stop moping and get to sick bay."

Just a complete collapse and surrender by Saru and everyone just sort of shrugs and goes with it. Oh yea on cattle world where we're cattle we just give up and die, as its always been. So lets do that here.
    I feel like the difference between the two is that, like, that with Worf the thing was he wasn't in any case terminal, since being paraplegic isn't in any way a death sentence.

Meanwhile Saru's the only Kelpien in Starfleet, their knowledge of Kelpien biology and life cycle is limited at best and as far as anyone knows this is the way Kelpiens die. It felt less like euthanasia and more like a death-bed ritual for someone dying of senescence.

But my memory is also fuzzy and I can't remember if they implied if severing the ganglia was supposed to be fatal?

EDIT: Checking, Memory Alpha says that the thinking was that severing them would be fatal as part of Vahar'ai

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    Lanz wrote: »

blech

I feel like the difference between the two is that, like, that with Worf the thing was he wasn't in any case terminal, since being paraplegic isn't in any way a death sentence.

Meanwhile Saru's the only Kelpien in Starfleet, their knowledge of Kelpien biology and life cycle is limited at best and as far as anyone knows this is the way Kelpiens die. It felt less like euthanasia and more like a death-bed ritual for someone dying of senescence.

But my memory is also fuzzy and I can't remember if they implied if severing the ganglia was supposed to be fatal?

ehh he could have gone to sickbay for an hour and let the doctor at least give him a once over

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular

blech

ehh he could have gone to sickbay for an hour and let the doctor at least give him a once over
    They did, that was the scene where the Chief Medical Officer said “any other humanoid I know of would be unconcious from the pain he’s in right now” and Saru said “I know what this is, we call it Vahar’i and it is inevitably fatal.” It’s not like he’s saying “I’m dying!” and a trivial medical scan would show he’s fine, the scan they did do showed that there was apparently a lot wrong with him and, as has been said earlier in the thread, not a huge body of settled knowledge on Kelpien biology just sitting in the Discovery computer. Certainly not enough to guess that the constant, should-be-knocking-Saru-out pain would just fizzle out instead of driving him mad like he said, I guess?

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
    exactly! she's a scientist, GO SEE A DOCTOR
    ugh so stupid.

also the whole IT SAVED US BY PUSHING US AWAY AT THE LAST MINUTE EMOTION EMOTION EMOTION
    of course it fucking did, why else would it want to send out its story.

fuck this episode was stupid, god this show makes me so mad.

Maybe you could just stop hate watching it then and spare us?

steam_sig.png

blech

EDIT: Checking, Memory Alpha says that the thinking was that severing them would be fatal as part of Vahar'ai

Exactly
    For all anyone knew, this was the same as a current day end stage Alzheimer's patient wanting to to end their life on their own terms.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2019

blech

Exactly
    For all anyone knew, this was the same as a current day end stage Alzheimer's patient wanting to to end their life on their own terms.
    It's also backed up thematically, since they're rather blunt with drawing a parallel with the dying sphere thing and Saru believing he too is on the way out the mortal door.

Except then he finds out "whoops no, you're alive and everything you were taught about your mortality and the balance was a lie"

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    He was there for 5 minutes and then left, doctor barely touched him.

Also I want the show to be good, episode 1 was great! I'll praise the show when it deserves it but the last 2 episodes were terrible. Trailer for next week looks interesting at least.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
This discussion has been closed.