As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat] thread

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    brb re-branding as a cyberpunk aesthetic synthwave DJ named uhhhhhh ghost.h#sh

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    because house as in dr house and not the genre
    appreciate my rapier wit

Your rapper wit?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    T
    The guy after me showed up and started trying to plug his flash drive into my laptop

desc this blatant disregard for opsec

Tilder I don’t want to alarm u but ur house set was definitely bot netted and compromised a nuclear reactor in Ukraine

Alexi! The centrifuges aren't meant to operate at 124k BPM! Sound the alarm!

Quick, put on your adidas pants and squat on the reactor

Alexi [already wearing adidas pants and squatting on the reactor]: sorry, what did you say?

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    cheeky breeky

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
    desc I was explaining to my Very Not Online gf about the hbomberguy charity stream and she just couldn't understand why people would watch someone play video games, and my talking about the serenity of a My Summer Car stream did nothing to clarify for her

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    desc I was explaining to my Very Not Online gf about the hbomberguy charity stream and she just couldn't understand why people would watch someone play video games, and my talking about the serenity of a My Summer Car stream did nothing to clarify for her

I always find "Why would someone watch people play football/soccer/golf?" to be a good way to explain that.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

I always find "Why would someone watch people play football/soccer/golf?" to be a good way to explain that.

To be honest I don't understand why people do that either

Also critical role season 2 party choices for talking to important NPCs

Caduceus: "This situation requires honesty, verbal finesse, tact, and probably someone with Arcane knowledge. Beau you're coming with me"

Me: what

Beau: *immediately starts lying to the powerful wizard*

Me: Jesus Christ

hahaha yes

I remember season one when they sat outside the gates of the capital city of the desert coming up with a devious lie to get to see the ruler of the country when one of them said
    Percy: "Guys, we're famous adventurers here seeking aid to defeat evil dragons that are besieging our homeland, and I'm a foreign head of state, can't we just walk up and be honest?"
    Scanlan: "Be honest?! We've never done that, how do you even do that"

Yeah the decision to bring Beau along as his +1 to talk to the Arch Mage in Nicodranas was just bonkers.

It got better and worked out in the end, but listening to Beau start fucking lying right off the bat was like "you have chosen...poorly"
    My friend is playing a Shadowrun character who cannot lie (or, at least, can't lie well) because his totem requires that he tells the truth. But the totem is fine with lies of omission as long as he doesn't state knowing falsehoods. This is problematic, because he's the face of the group when my character isn't around. It's been interesting to see how the player works around this crippling flaw.

When my character (who is a Hacker/Face) is around, we usually end up playing "Truth Cop, Lie Cop", and tag team social encounters. I tell blatant lies while he tells just enough of the truth to confuse our marks.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

Caduceus: "This situation requires honesty, verbal finesse, tact, and probably someone with Arcane knowledge. Beau you're coming with me"

hahaha yes

I remember season one when they sat outside the gates of the capital city of the desert coming up with a devious lie to get to see the ruler of the country when one of them said
    Percy: "Guys, we're famous adventurers here seeking aid to defeat evil dragons that are besieging our homeland, and I'm a foreign head of state, can't we just walk up and be honest?"

Yeah the decision to bring Beau along as his +1 to talk to the Arch Mage in Nicodranas was just bonkers.

It got better and worked out in the end, but listening to Beau start fucking lying right off the bat was like "you have chosen...poorly"

It really pains me how much people on the interet are getting angry at Marisha for this, as if she is ruining everything

They got mad at her for Key'leth being TOO honest in S1!

She roleplays the hell out of her characters, Beau is an angry person who never lets her guard down and is a self described "Disaster lesbian" incapable of making good decisions, and Marisha nails the character she created. Keyleth was a naive good person who was willing to stand against an endless horde of undead with 2 spell slots left while her party ran away because "Every one of them we take down is another person who doesn't get killed by them", and yet the "fans" have a huge subset that are just like a pit of barking dogs endlessly giving the player shit for her character's suboptimal decisions (as to actual poor spell choices, as Marisha said, you try playing a character with 200+ spells available in front of an audience of thousands and knock it out of the park)

override367 on
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

To be honest I don't understand why people do that either

I watch golf so I don't miss the inevitable gator attack
    one of these days the water hazard is going to live up to its name

Bless your heart.
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Not lying isn't the most crippling flaw. All that's important is word choice and making sure the person you're trying to manipulate only hears what you wanted them to hear and not necessarily realize what the actual truth is.

• YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    Nerds gonna nerd especially for female cast members on dnd shows.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

I feel like

I feel like you can’t use my summer car to explain anything ever

People are like “I understand video games; I played super Mario 3 as a child”

And you’re like “okay so there’s a button to curse and it’s only funny to Finnish people and no one else who plays the game understands why. Also there’s a pee button but it’s really a game about putting a car together”

And then they just look at you

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Piss fuck

It’s supposed to rain all night, all my beautiful snow will be ruined! And then I’ll have to back to work! :(

Sleep wrote: »
    Not lying isn't the most crippling flaw. All that's important is word choice and making sure the person you're trying to manipulate only hears what you wanted them to hear and not necessarily realize what the actual truth is.

The bard in the game im running is inhabited by a spirit that forces total honesty out of her, she can't be subversive in any way, it's delightful

Neco wrote: »
    Piss fuck

It’s supposed to rain all night, all my beautiful snow will be ruined! And then I’ll have to back to work! :(

Goodbye forever Snowy Duvall

I feel like

And you’re like “okay so there’s a button to curse and it’s only funny to Finnish people and no one else who plays the game understands why. Also there’s a pee button but it’s really a game about putting a car together”

I didn't even get into the sauna system or beer bottle physics ;_;

I also accidentally tried to explain Elona to two friends yesterday

*stares out the window*

The bard in the game im running is inhabited by a spirit that forces total honesty out of her, she can't be subversive in any way, it's delightful

See that's harder.

I feel like

I didn't even get into the sauna system or beer bottle physics ;_;

Fuck I need to stream that again

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

If I was another player I'd just pretend the bard was inhabited by a spirit of deception. *taps head*

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Avoid lake shore drive near downtown today guys

@winky @zampanov @tyrannus @“matt has a problem”

Ed: bridge is turbo fucked

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    PantsB wrote: »

If I was another player I'd just pretend the bard was inhabited by a spirit of deception. *taps head*
    A spirit that makes you THINK you are being deceitful, but you are actually telling bald-faced truths at all times.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Broadcasting the X-Games didn't challenge sports but it's still around. Broadcasted e-sports won't challenge sports but it'll be around a decade from now.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    The x games are fuckin great

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Oncologist recommended that my dad put chemo on pause because the cancer is holding steady and his immune system is still fighting it.

I guess that's good? Huh.

still fighting it is the name of a ben folds song about a father wishing he could've done better for his son.......

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Broadcasting the X-Games didn't challenge sports but it's still around. Broadcasted e-sports won't challenge sports but it'll be around a decade from now.

Broadcasting the x games changed sports at an Olympic level.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

hahaha yes

It really pains me how much people on the interet are getting angry at Marisha for this, as if she is ruining everything

She roleplays the hell out of her characters, Beau is an angry person who never lets her guard down and is a self described "Disaster lesbian" incapable of making good decisions, and Marisha nails the character she created. Keyleth was a naive good person who was willing to stand against an endless horde of undead with 2 spell slots left while her party ran away because "Every one of them we take down is another person who doesn't get killed by them", and yet the "fans" have a huge subset that are just like a pit of barking dogs endlessly giving the player shit for her character's suboptimal decisions (as to actual poor spell choices, as Marisha said, you try playing a character with 200+ spells available in front of an audience of thousands and knock it out of the park)

Marisha is probably the best actual character actor in the bunch in terms of consistency, with Sam and Travis close seconds. And yeah, the shit she gets is from people who don't understand characters instead of playing the game. Marisha isn't playing D&D, she's playing a character and is amazingly good at it.

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    T
    The guy after me showed up and started trying to plug his flash drive into my laptop

desc this blatant disregard for opsec

Tilder I don’t want to alarm u but ur house set was definitely bot netted and compromised a nuclear reactor in Ukraine

Alexi! The centrifuges aren't meant to operate at 124k BPM! Sound the alarm!

Quick, put on your adidas pants and squat on the reactor

the reactor was a homeless man the entire time

This was an awkward react but it had none and I laughed and someone has to reward this

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I should say, she IS playing D&D, but all the choices she makes are character choices, not gaming choices.

Tav wrote: »
    The x games are fuckin great

The X stands for eXtremely great.

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Not to dunk on Override specifically but I always kind of uh-huh when I hear DMs talking about how stupid their players are

yall would be doing the same if roles were reversed

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Hot take: Playing the "game" D&D is really boring and you should be playing a computer game instead.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay

hahaha yes

The idea of back seat drivering an rpg character blows my mind

I mean, I expect it from our online culture but yeah

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Not to dunk on Override specifically but I always kind of uh-huh when I hear DMs talking about how stupid their players are

As a player of D&D

yeah players are goddamn stupid

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I don't care how stupid they're being as long as they're having fun.

edited February 2019

hahaha yes

The idea of back seat drivering an rpg character blows my mind

I mean, I expect it from our online culture but yeah
    I mean, we collaborate in our gaming group and throw suggestions at each other of what to do, within the group. But no one is quarterbacking everyone else's actions or RP choices. Throwing shit in front of an audience does change the nature of the game, though. It becomes less "play" and more "performance". Which can be fun, but also is riddled with other challenges.

EDIT: I'm also imagining a situation where you're at a convention and playing a public game, and some asshat comes by and stands behind you and tells you that everything you're doing is wrong and I'm like "AAAAAAAHHHHH".

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    cptrugged wrote: »

We ENCOURAGE stupidity in our groups. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited February 2019

I beat the 5e version of classic tomb of horrors so probably not, but IDK, both my current characters have massive flaws that put them in harm's way

override367 on
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »

We ENCOURAGE stupidity in our groups. :D

"I want to attack the darkness!"

This discussion has been closed.