As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    I just tried army painter's green primer on a test 40k marine and it went on super thick without me realizing. I just used it like I would my normal krylon primer

hopefully it shrinks down when it dries

• alqadimalqadim Registered User regular
    Started painting again. Lost my job a few days before Christmas and have been in a funk during the search for the next. Got inspired by my orks and IronJawz so I am back at it trying to get back into things!
    4kwLlgX.jpg

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Getting some models done for LVO this weekend!
    Berserkers made from WFB beastmen and chaos warriors.
    chaos_goatzerkers01.jpg
    chaos_goatzerkers_turn.gif

With the new CA pointsdrop for dreads and helbrutes, I had to make a few more of the critters.
    Here's a stock brawly Helbrute with melee weapons and double combibolters ( rotor cannon)
    chaos_dreadmace01.jpg
    chaos_dreadmace_turn.gif

And a double chainfist Contemptor lookin for trouble.
    chaos_contemptor02.jpg
    chaos_contemptor02_turn.gif

website_header.jpg
  • LubonyLubony Registered User regular
    The whole team assembles as some necrons look on....in terror.

nc1lwonbuqht.jpg

No rules or morals except those you choose to accept and live by.
  • alqadimalqadim Registered User regular
    Trying to stay with it and keep painting going as a motivator. Started on my flash gits on my printed bases as a Grot Tank dries in the background.
    Lz2QqvH.jpg

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I got my airbrush from the Badger sale! It is very pretty.

t1iy8qb03jxw.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Sometimes I just get fed up, give myself a strict time limit on something that's been sitting half painted in my backlog, and live with the results. I like how these guys came out even though I took lots of shortcuts, just waiting on decals in the mail now.

pfavxil5aa62.jpg

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Putting together this new sector fronteris stuff and they mention how they add gun turrets to their property. So I made one. Also stuck a chimney on the big building, and kinda want to do something with smoke effects with it.
    GtvnvJc.jpg

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I got my airbrush from the Badger sale! It is very pretty.

t1iy8qb03jxw.jpg

I have to wonder how often moms have found an airbrush in their kids room and thought it was a crack pipe.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    "Is this where all your moneys going? Into this THING!!??!"
    "Well. yeah.."...

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Huh, is there an untapped market for combination airbrushes/crack pipes? I guess crack isn't the drug typically associated with artistic types, but you never know.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    So looking at modifying my crack pipe- I mean, airbrushes with quick change adapters for the hose and brushes. How do I know which size connection I need?

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    I have to wonder how often moms have found an airbrush in their kids room and thought it was a crack pipe.

I dated a girl who freaked out once when she saw thermal paste on my coffee table.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I am so far behind on painting certain things. My colorshift T'au still need the gloss varnish before I can go on with them and I have other stuff I've wanted to paint. My models are starting to get dusty.

I am still trying to figure out what I want to do with my AdMech kill team. I wanted to paint them up like the taken from Destiny but I'm not sure I can really manage something like that and was considering going kind of simple as far as painting something kind of normal but with unusual colors.

I really need to decide on this.

Destiny taken pic for reference
    FKZIfDe.jpg

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    So looking at modifying my crack pipe- I mean, airbrushes with quick change adapters for the hose and brushes. How do I know which size connection I need?

Well that was easy, since when I startes looking, they pretty much said 'fits X, Y, and Z' air brushes. :biggrin:

edited February 2019
    Cleaning off more Necrons using 50/50 water and simple green. Should I use only simple green though?

Last time I'm ever cleaning paint off models. I hate this nonsense.

I want to do a metallic color on the armor plates on my Necrons and I'm trying to figure out the easiest way. I was thinking of priming with leadbelcher, airbrushing the whole thing silver, using a brush to paint the tamiya clear paint on for the metallic effect, and then painting the other parts back to leadbelcher painting the gun and doing a wash of nuln oil.

Could that work?

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I painted a big boy! (and friends)

z7a16hygvm3t.jpg
    9imud0wyrk1l.jpg
    gcfxg0gvxltz.jpg
    faow30huyzux.jpg

I think that this size of model is about perfect when it comes to the balance between nicely detailed and not too overwhelming, I sometimes find myself getting daunted and/or bored when it comes to painting up the very big kits.

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Purple
    Stragint wrote: »

I want to do a metallic color on the armor plates on my Necrons and I'm trying to figure out the easiest way. I was thinking of priming with leadbelcher, airbrushing the whole thing silver, using a brush to paint the tamiya clear paint on for the metallic effect, and then painting the other parts back to leadbelcher painting the gun and doing a wash of nuln oil.

Could that work?

I'd prime black, then do a base of Leadbelcher, wash with nuln oil, then drybrush Leadbelcher, then do either a light drybrush of Runefang Steel or just an edge highlight depending on how shiny you want your death robutts to be.

edited February 2019

Could that work?

I'd prime black, then do a base of Leadbelcher, wash with nuln oil, then drybrush Leadbelcher, then do either a light drybrush of Runefang Steel or just an edge highlight depending on how shiny you want your death robutts to be.

This is basically what I'm trying to do. I didn't paint this, I found it on Google.
    nk11Uxp.jpg

Stragint on

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    You might be able to paint leadbelcher or runefang steel and then shade or even glaze with your desired color to get a tinted metal look.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Purple
    He's starting to look like a Knight!

CyjLzge.jpg?1

I have most of the armor painted. I need to paint his top shell still. The shoulder armor isn't as nice of a paint job as I'd like, but it will work. I think I did a much better job on his leg plates, much smoother coats. I've gloss coated his skeleton already to seal in that paint. I'm going to gloss coat the whole model again once I have the armor plates on. Then matte coat it as the finisher. Probably about a week of work left at the pace I paint. Really excited to finish this project. This is definitely the largest, most detailed, model I've ever painted.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Purple
    I painted a big boy! (and friends)

gcfxg0gvxltz.jpg

3udf1gife0n4.png
    ???

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Purple

Could that work?

This is basically what I'm trying to do. I didn't paint this, I found it on Google.
    nk11Uxp.jpg

If that's what you're trying to go for, prime black, base Leadbelcher, wash with Nuln Oil, do an incredibly heavy drybrush of Runefang Steel (maybe do a lighter drybrush of Runefang Steel/white mix), then hit with the tint/glaze of your choice.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    Working nights right now and with the messed up weather it's been dead enough I've brought in some mini's to build on my ongoing master plan to build then prime then paint everything I own.

Last night's job? Built the remaining Harlequins I own and finally attempted that upright Techpriest conversion...

Pretty happy with how he turned out.

n4r22hrgmxc5.jpg
    vqnn1m7ixc0t.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I like what you’ve done with the cane hand. Very “excuse me, but I think you’ll find that the Anzion ‘theory’ is more of a ‘conjecture’ with little to no supporting evidence.”

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited February 2019
    Purple
    Thanks! I kinda got lucky there... dry fitting it, it kinda looked like he was about to prod something, but I didn't really like it.

Some super delicate cutting paid off and luckily he didn't lose any digits.

I also picture that the mechadendrite is making the same pose due to some sympathetic nervous response.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Finally pushed these Grey Slayers overs the finish line. I also finished my Long Fangs but forgot to take photos - will grab some photos of those next

LkHTPLZ.jpg

EWW76Tf.jpg 0IduhE7.jpg

7GynBW7.jpg

AVkOoSr.jpg

X3e97Zf.jpg

qf1Gld2.jpg

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    and some Long Fangs I painted in October but forgot to take photos of

7Vg6ALH.jpg
    Sgv6kjw.jpg

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
    I'm on a roll with finishing up half painted marines I've accumulated over the years

vpdzpwxqmvfk.jpg

edited February 2019
    Purple
    Next pass of varnish over the newly mounted armor plates.
    fVSPqAg.jpg?1

While I certainly can't paint at the level some of you do here, I am really proud of this project so far. I've learned some really valuable lessons (like how to use wash correctly near flat surfaces) and I still think I'm going to have a Knight at the end that's plenty worthy of the table top. Really just one major set of painting to finish before I mount his top shell and call it a done deal. Super excited to finish something this big.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Purple
    Finally assembling the Ork vehicles I got for Christmas, and the Rukkatruck Squigbuggy may be my favorite model ever. There's so much cool detail.

That said, having not done many subassemblies.. am I fine painting subassemblies and then using superglue to stick the orks/squigs/bits on afterwards when everything is painted? Is that how most people do it or does the superglue screw up the paint at all?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Purple
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    fVSPqAg.jpg?1

While I certainly can't paint at the level some of you do here, I am really proud of this project so far. I've learned some really valuable lessons (like how to use wash correctly near flat surfaces) and I still think I'm going to have a Knight at the end that's plenty worthy of the table top. Really just one major set of painting to finish before I mount his top shell and call it a done deal. Super excited to finish something this big.

How did you end up doing the red and blue panels?

What is this I don't even.
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    so, i'm currently painting a magewrath throne. i've already diverged from the box art:

99120299038_MagewrathThrone02.jpg

in that i don't quite get what the red shading on the stone is supposed to be and my greenshade wash has left me a different colour anyway.

WIP:

DKitzFh.jpg?2

where do i go from here? i'd like to shoot for a build up of moss and streaked water damage kind of an affair with this thing.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    P. sure the “red shading” is meant to be worn paint. Remember that the fad for ‘bare’ statues that just use the materials’s own colours and properties is relatively recent. All those famous renaissance and earlier marble statues you’ve heard of used to be painted.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Purple
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    fVSPqAg.jpg?1

How did you end up doing the red and blue panels?

Extremely carefully, by hand, with thinned down paint and a lot of "oops" clean up. This is not the way I would recommend. If I had to do it over again I would likely cut out a mask or tape up the edges and paint it that way. The gold edging is the real pain in the ass, getting it to look clean. I eventually just got it to a "good enough" point where it looks good from table distance but if you got up close you'd see some obvious flaws in the edging.

• TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    Various Adepticon updates

Red does make it go faster
    R32jJCg.jpg
    pC4fxSM.jpg?1

Going to do a final weathering pass before getting it on its base.

We're going for a hard tundra look as seen by one of my teammates Broodlord

Vr08lZm.jpg?1

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So I'm trying some magenta on these here chaps, and I cant decide if mixing in the pale pink on the left, or the more fluo stuff on the right dude works better. Or if there is a better route to go down? Just look at the ridges on the shoulder pads.

RPXhuev.jpg

I feel like the left side reads easier at a distance, but I lose out on it being quite so saturated.

J on
    Purple
    @Dr_Keenbean has some opinions on magenta. I'm sure he can help you out.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    J wrote: »
    So I'm trying some magenta on these here chaps, and I cant decide if mixing in the pale pink on the left, or the more fluo stuff on the right dude works better. Or if there is a better route to go down? Just look at the ridges on the shoulder pads.

RPXhuev.jpg

I feel like the left side reads easier at a distance, but I lose out on it being quite so saturated.

The grain of salt that is "I'm looking at your photo on a monitor that's probably calibrated differently than real life" should be taken with this: The right one looks way better to me. You might be right about how easily one or the other pops at a distance, but I really love how that right one looks as you're showing it.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I'd go with the one on the left. The edge of the shoulderpad pops. I always go with whatever brings out the inherent detail of the model.

This discussion has been closed.