As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Workshop now included.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm never sure if a low-portrait high-skill player is a smurf or just someone who just got the game and played a lot of other FPS games.

Like, they can't all be smurfs. What kind of human being would purchase an extra copy of this game just so they can get into unbalanced matches and win unfairly? I would hope that is a fairly small population.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Been having more games wherein someone on my team would solo ult someone on the other team and it was almost invariably followed by "nice solo ult lawl." Usually said by a salty Genji who now has to wait.

I'd much rather my teammates successfully solo ult someone than never use it, or fail at a team kill. Especially on defense.

It depends on the ult, but, for the most part, yeah. You don’t usually want to toss out an earthshatter or graviton against a single enemy, but it’s a reasonable choice for nearly every DPS ult.

I'll solo grav a Mercy. That's a won teamfight.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    I'm never sure if a low-portrait high-skill player is a smurf or just someone who just got the game and played a lot of other FPS games.

Like, they can't all be smurfs. What kind of human being would purchase an extra copy of this game just so they can get into unbalanced matches and win unfairly? I would hope that is a fairly small population.

On PS4 it's just signing up for a new account.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Yeah I could literally log in with a child account (I have three kids with accounts plus my wife has one) and start destroying people.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Chance wrote: »
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Been having more games wherein someone on my team would solo ult someone on the other team and it was almost invariably followed by "nice solo ult lawl." Usually said by a salty Genji who now has to wait.

I'd much rather my teammates successfully solo ult someone than never use it, or fail at a team kill. Especially on defense.

It depends on the ult, but, for the most part, yeah. You don’t usually want to toss out an earthshatter or graviton against a single enemy, but it’s a reasonable choice for nearly every DPS ult.

I'll solo grav a Mercy. That's a won teamfight.

I generally wouldn't solo grav a Mercy because if she's alone and I'm close enough to guarantee it hits her, I'd generally trust myself to be able to kill her pretty fast without it. Or just wait to see where she GA's to, then grav her and her target together. All depends on situation, of course.

Meanwhile, I will solo grav an ulting Genji every time, both because it's effective and because it's a great way to tilt that Genji.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    TFW your Comp team decides out of the blue to throw the second round by going all DPS (I refused, so i'm second from the left), but then not only do you curb stomp the reds and spawn camp throughout the round, but you make one of them ragequit and another start spewing toxic bile over match chat

wk7253xt20db.jpg

madparrot on
  • madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    this silly genji thought he had me, and his instincts told him to go for the blade dash to finish me off, forgetting the shiny mines in the way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F1OB172M74

• KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »
    TFW your Comp team decides out of the blue to throw the second round by going all DPS (I refused, so i'm second from the left), but then not only do you curb stomp the reds and spawn camp throughout the round, but you make one of them ragequit and another start spewing toxic bile over match chat

wk7253xt20db.jpg

Torb and a Bastion though, that shit is enough to make anyone salty, especially if the bastion is using the torb turret as a spotter. I was subbing in for the wife a few nights ago and the group was trying to pirate ship the payload through Kings Row. Our Torb tossed his turret on top of the payload and I switched over to bastion at one point, mounted the payload and just shot at whatever the turret targeted 90% of the time. My wifes friend that 1 tricks Rein shielded us and we won easily. I felt a little disgusted at myself afterwards, but it was a nice win haha.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Haven't played in a few months. Jumped in to try Ashe, and she's really fun. My struggle to find a DPS seems to have settled on her. However, I very quickly fell back to my usual Mercy shenanigans.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i would be less salty about Ashe if she wasn't shooting football sized bullets.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    i would be less salty about Ashe if she wasn't shooting football sized bullets.
    I'm not sure what would cause you to think this, she is the same as every other hitscan hero

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So I had heard that this game gets pretty "toxic" at higher levels and had my first bump-in with it last night when someone was upset with me playing Ana, because I wasn't focused on healing them enough (sorry Genji, I'm not quite good enough to snipe-heal your ninja flips). Some pretty abusive language, swearing, blaming me for throwing the match, etc.

Then the rest of my team turned around and started bashing on that guy and saying ANA IS CUTE and THANK YOU ANA during any given opportunity. Had a good time.

Also, I am not great at her, but Ana is really fun to play as!

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    So I had heard that this game gets pretty "toxic" at higher levels and had my first bump-in with it last night when someone was upset with me playing Ana, because I wasn't focused on healing them enough (sorry Genji, I'm not quite good enough to snipe-heal your ninja flips). Some pretty abusive language, swearing, blaming me for throwing the match, etc.

Then the rest of my team turned around and started bashing on that guy and saying ANA IS CUTE and THANK YOU ANA during any given opportunity. Had a good time.

Also, I am not great at her, but Ana is really fun to play as!

A general rule is to never listen to a Genji's complaints.

steam_sig.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Genji complaining about his need for heals is a huge meme, and most teams will mock them for it.

Not that there ain't jerks aplenty out there too.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    out of curiosity, who's a hero you don't have a lot of time on who you just know you could actually get really good with, but you just don't play for whatever reason?

for me that'd probably be soldier, i have decent tracking and i'm pretty good at landing rockets since i mostly stick to projectile characters

i just never play him since he hasn't been particularly relevant in ages and on the occasions i am playing dps, i prefer the likes of pharah, torb, reaper, etc

the very few times i have taken him out in a non-MH scenario it's been like, it's mid match and i've been on healer and our dps haven't been able to secure kills for shit, okay kids get off my lawn i'll be the reliable damage dealer and get the job done

so my perception of my soldierin' ability might be a little skewed

uc3ufTB.png
  • soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »

wk7253xt20db.jpg

Those pink and blue team outfits are aaaaalmost enough to make me plunk down some real dollars. do I want a lovely pastel easter egg reaper? Yes, yes I do.

edited February 2019
    I think those Spark outfits are just silly lookin. If I were on a League team and they revealed those as my colors I'd feel pretty burned.
    out of curiosity, who's a hero you don't have a lot of time on who you just know you could actually get really good with, but you just don't play for whatever reason?

for me that'd probably be soldier, i have decent tracking and i'm pretty good at landing rockets since i mostly stick to projectile characters

i just never play him since he hasn't been particularly relevant in ages and on the occasions i am playing dps, i prefer the likes of pharah, torb, reaper, etc

the very few times i have taken him out in a non-MH scenario it's been like, it's mid match and i've been on healer and our dps haven't been able to secure kills for shit, okay kids get off my lawn i'll be the reliable damage dealer and get the job done

Sombra. I'm confident enough on my tracking to consider my Soldier and Zarya solid picks with the right comp, and I can be absolutely lethal with Sombra - folks really don't expect her to actually deal the amount of damage she can, I find - but I'm shitty about keeping track of my translocator. Lately I'll be doin' great for 5 minutes and then I forget to throw it or someone kills it and I don't notice and it's like awwww what am I even doin' on Sombra?

But watchin' Fitzy has definitely made be better. I think his best tip, for me, was to put the Translocator somewhere that gives you both access to high ground to re-engage the fight from and easy access to a health pack. OMG that made such a difference in my effectiveness.

Edit: also I've had that exact same experience on Soldier. I specifically recall an Eichenwald game where our Widow wasn't helping against the enemy Pharah, so I switched to Soldier and that payload didn't move another inch. I was just handling their whole team like a beefed up Torb turret, it was beautiful.

Chance on
    edited February 2019
    Soldier is stronk in general I think, although less so if shield are involved. Although I eventually figured out if I, you know, just flank and sprint around to the side, suddenly the shields are a none issue. Better if you can do that kind of sneakily though. He also goes from stronk to terrifying if you can land your rockets.

soylenth on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I think I could be a really great Widow if I could just power through the toxicity and get a lot of practice in. About half the time I have really amazing games where I just delete two or three of their squishies before a teamfight even starts. I want to be even better with her because having a good Widow in your pocket leads to easy wins.

Wish more people understood that.

An enemy widow tonight cleaned us out of a point almost single-handedly (it was MH and we were all squishy). Absolutely a benefit to practising widow. The joy of not having text chat and never opting into voice on ps4 is, if I want to practice some widow, I just practice some widow!

Even on PC, if it's quickplay and you want to practice some widow, just practice some widow. the people who like to play QP as a low stakes comp might get irritated, but whatever. Until they add a non-ranked comp format, QP is the go-to for hero practice.

I think I could be a really great Widow if I could just power through the toxicity and get a lot of practice in.

I say go for it, 'cause
    About half the time I have really amazing games where I just delete two or three of their squishies before a teamfight even starts. I want to be even better with her because having a good Widow in your pocket leads to easy wins.

that's Tracer for me, yo. Except after 300+ hours, it's more like "consistent value Vs. literally any comp." It just took a lot of time.

Plus even if you're just consistently landing body shots as Widow, you're doing valuable work IMO.

Make Widow and Hanzo play with headshot only mode all the time

Just had 2 back to back win+potg on Numbani, and then a hard carry game on Busan where I spawn camped the enemy Hog till he went Tracer, and ultimately Brig halfway through the last round. Like 4 times I think I just styled on this Hog. Omg and there was one time when I was duelling their Mei, I'm down some Hp and whup I get hooked away from her by Hog, he whiffs the shot, I rewind and kill Mei and blink away.

It was amazaaaang.

• MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

For me, probably Genji. I put a lot of time into Doomfist and I'm told the two have very transferrable playstyles and skills.

Also, dash resets depend on your ability to find the weak ones and finish them off and, well, my overbuff stats say that while I may not bring in bulk damage, I sure do have a lot to do with kill-completions. And I'd probably be pretty good with deflects since the ole Dotes ingrained in me a sixth sense for incoming CC and burst damage.

The problem is that overbuff also says I'm a terrible shot, I get thoroughly confused when I have to spin my camera around a lot, and my ult usage is probably the biggest weakness in my game right now. That's a lot of key Genji skills, and the sad fact is no team has ever wanted for a Genji player in the whole history of OW, so I'd have to grind hard to bring nothing new to every pub team I'm a part of. Also, I'm not a 12 year old boy anymore. :P

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    Yeah but it'd be fun.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    So I've actually been playing a lot of Vs-AI matches recently because sometimes you just need to see "53 eliminations!" under your name in the end of match cards. Haven't really been doing much proper Overwatching, but it still helps me keep up the routine of hopping on the exercise bike and that's all that counts.

Anyway, I had a what-the-hell moment and decided I'd play a competitive match for the first time since doing placements. Turned out to be a king of the hill match in Lijiang towers, my group of six randoms versus a 3-man team and 3 randoms.

Point one: Other team beats us to the point and does a really good job of keeping us out of it... until we manage to push them out in Overtime thanks to a well-timed Self Destruct, and then hold it from 0 to victory. DVa got the PotG for this and thoroughly deserved it.

Point two: We did not do as well. We got bottled up at the bridge on our side of the map and never actually made it into the objective. Frankly we did well to not get permanently locked into our base.

Point three: We get into the objective first, get it to maybe 20%... and get team killed. The other team then holds us out of the objective until, again, we somehow manage to push them out in overtime and hold on until the bitter end.

So that was two 100-99 points, both of which were never-give-up-never-surrender comebacks. I did 11K healing and got a silver medal, so our Moira must have been putting out some stupidly high healing numbers.

I went up 63 SR for one win. It was a heck of a good night. :)

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Dispatch from the Department of Bad Ideas

Half and Half

An Arcade mode or broad-ranging balance patch. Simple premise: all abilities have halved cooldowns and all abilities have halved effects, with the occasional creative interpretation of "half". Examples:

Hog's hook travels half as far.
    Orisa's barrier has 450 HP.
    Ana's Sleep Dart has a max duration of 2.5 seconds.
    Tracer's Recall goes back 1.5 seconds.

And so on. This extends to ults; charge times are halved but their main effects are also halved.

Call it Quarter Mayhem if you like.

The idea is to see how the game flows when everyone has more opportunities to uuse and land their moves and reduce the sense of "well, I used all my cooldowns, guess I get to wave my mouse around a bit before I'm useful again."

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I just want a custom match mode with Competitive format ala off-season, where people can get together without the fear of losing SR and actually workshop competitive strategy.

Yeah Quick Play exists but it's not the same. The nature of rounds influences team composition and player behaviour in a way that Quick Play just doesn't carry across.

Kupi wrote: »
    Dispatch from the Department of Bad Ideas

Half and Half

An Arcade mode or broad-ranging balance patch. Simple premise: all abilities have halved cooldowns and all abilities have halved effects, with the occasional creative interpretation of "half". Examples:

Hog's hook travels half as far.
    Orisa's barrier has 450 HP.
    Ana's Sleep Dart has a max duration of 2.5 seconds.
    Tracer's Recall goes back 1.5 seconds.

And so on. This extends to ults; charge times are halved but their main effects are also halved.

Call it Quarter Mayhem if you like.

The idea is to see how the game flows when everyone has more opportunities to uuse and land their moves and reduce the sense of "well, I used all my cooldowns, guess I get to wave my mouse around a bit before I'm useful again."

I would check this out. I suspect its effects would be similar to Total Mayhem - those with more powerful cooldowns will be more powerful in the mode (Ana's sleep dart can still shut down a ton of stuff from range, et cetera).

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I just want a custom match mode with Competitive format ala off-season, where people can get together without the fear of losing SR and actually workshop competitive strategy.

Yeah Quick Play exists but it's not the same. The nature of rounds influences team composition and player behaviour in a way that Quick Play just doesn't carry across.

That would actually be pretty cool.

steam_sig.png
    Come to think of it, what it would be is Total Mayhem, but everybody's primary and alt-fire effectively deal double-damage, and heals are twice as effective because nobody has 2x HP. Because Lucio's healing in that mode is so tied to the effectiveness of amp on a short CD, though, he might be a bit hamstrung...

Would Moira's orbs deal the same damage / heal the same HPS but only half as much, or would they heal half as much at half the HPS? All kinds of interesting questions pop up...

Even with half the range, a Hog hook on a 4-sec CD would be insane lol

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    Dispatch from the Department of Great Ideas

Add modding support and a map editor.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Here's some things i'd like see added.

Challenge modes. I.E. like their holiday scenarios but basically the normal maps and your team has to do X where X is like, push Anubis point B in under 2 minutes against high difficulty Bots.

Pailryder wrote: »
    Here's some things i'd like see added.

Challenge modes. I.E. like their holiday scenarios but basically the normal maps and your team has to do X where X is like, push Anubis point B in under 2 minutes against high difficulty Bots.

I was disappointed that they never did more with PvE in general. Archive missions are quite fun, but a bit too simple to have any real longevity. I wonder if they're saving bigger PvE modes for a future sequel or something.

I'm pretty sure they just don't want to bother with more modes. I don't really blame them, I don't actually want to play most of them

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Coinage wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they just don't want to bother with more modes. I don't really blame them, I don't actually want to play most of them

The only things that keep me coming back are Comp and anything that moves the story forward.

The only time I bother with Arcade is when there's an FFA that will yield lots of lootboxes.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Coinage wrote: »

I don't feel like they've ever actually tried very hard to make compelling new game modes. They added CTF and Deathmatch because people were begging for it, but their philosophy for both was "well we'll just throw it in there and it might not be balanced, but it's good for some silly fun!" They also gave up on the idea of making creative brawls in favor of just rotating through the same basic set of normal modes into perpetuity.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Zek wrote: »

"Could this possibly jeopardize the current costume 'marketplace'?"

Synthesis on
    They’re already working Overwatch 2 right? They must be.

Synthesis wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »

"Could this possibly jeopardize the current costume marketplace?"

Nah, they would need to host the games on their servers (e.g. SC2/WC3 custom maps), so they could just not allows mods to override the character skins. Basically like the current server browser, but with support for real scripting.

This discussion has been closed.