As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Mine was said by a grifter and is the foreword of F K Hayek's book the Road to Serfdom

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Got my big interview tomorrow. Ironed my shirt, got a nice clean "power tie" (its purple and my shirt is black I just like how it looks buts I've been told this is a power combo), and am studying up on possible questions they might ask.
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I have just been asked to be a volunteer judge for a high school business competition.

My category?

fixed-480w.png

THERE ARE NONE. NEXT QUESTION

There is one
    The industrial revolution to me is just like a story i know called the puppy who lost his way. The world was changing, and the puppy was getting bigger...So you see, the puppy was like industry, in that they were both lost in the woods and nobody, especially the little boy, "society", knew where to find them. Except that the puppy was a dog, but the industry my friends, that was a revolution. Knibb High football rules!

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    You drive a pile of snow?

If I have to! We've already both lost two days wages!

No vacation days to burn?

I just used half my yearly allotment on our trip out past the mountains, to which, had I scheduled a couple of days later, we may well have still been stuck over on the far coast.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    #1 I'm disppointed none of you quoted the rules of acquisition

#2 that accident on 405 past the Bothell Everett highway, i was the last person to be allowed through before they started resticting people to drag one of the seven cars out

#3 Never spend more for an acquisition than you have to.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    arrgghhhh everything is on fire and it sucks so much and they're probably trying to drown us all and I just can't cope right now.

My normal tasks which on a good, steady week can be a 1.5 person job, across both brands, has now been expanded to be a 4 person job. And we're going to be struggling with that.

All because the asshats in charge of our products can't be bothered to understand that they're killing us slowly.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'm in Austin for a conference and independent of being very happy to be back in Austin because it's a super cool city, people are already getting sloppy drunk at the hotel bar and ranting about the injustices of the field on night 0. An auspicious start.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    6 days, 53.5 hours, so roughly just shy of an average of 9 hours a day.

The overtime will be nice, but right now I just want my body to stop screaming at me.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Currently nursing company phone to finish last patrols.

Just 10% more.

Edit:
    Returned to office

RoyceSraphim on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Alright, week 2 of working remotely. Let's see if I can actually be productive and justify my existence long enough to find a new employer. I really don't like the new HR lady even though I've only exchanged emails with her. Her emails have a tone though. I guess mind did too, which was rage at being rendered gravely ill and the fact that they're only talking about "interim" or temporary accommodations for me.

I have a phone interview today, initial anyway, with a company that's working on ion engines for near space. Tomorrow I have another phone interview with a different aerospace company, a division of United Technologies Corporation. I heard the ion engine place is having funding problems but I don't know that would slow me down from wanting to work there. If they can afford my salary for a few years and have me work on cool stuff I'd be fine with it. With the way jobs work nowadays I'm unlikely to find something beyond 5 years out anyway. I just have to make sure to get the most out of each stepping stone.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I'm giving my two weeks notice today! I am super nervous! But also the new job will be a lot nicer in a lot of ways so it is time to move on.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I'm in Austin for a conference and independent of being very happy to be back in Austin because it's a super cool city, people are already getting sloppy drunk at the hotel bar and ranting about the injustices of the field on night 0. An auspicious start.

If there's anything I've learned from traveling for conferences, it's that people of all ages, cultures, and backgrounds can get together in hotel bars and get shitfaced.

It's practically a rule.

Just over an hour until my interview, just nervously going over my notes.

heres a question, how early should I show up? Like if I'm an outside person coming to an interview I like to show up 10-15 minutes early and hang out, but this is internal, is 5 minutes ok?

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Show up exactly 30 seconds early with Bon Jovi's Dead or Alive playing at full blast mid chorus from your phone. Throw the doors open, Bon Jovi belts "I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride" and then you announce you are here to crush an interview.

I left my phone at home today by accident

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I left my phone at home today by accident

Obvious solution is to have it play from someone elses phone.
    You are going for a cybersecurity position right?
    It'd be a power move.

PSN: jfrofl
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Show up exactly 30 seconds early with Bon Jovi's Dead or Alive playing at full blast mid chorus from your phone. Throw the doors open, Bon Jovi belts "I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride" and then you announce you are here to crush an interview.

Similarly, always hand in your two weeks notice while blasting Bon Jovi's Blaze of Glory. The perfect band to bookend your [job]!

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    They're putting new coffee machines in the work kitchen today. We currently have some standard, low-tech commercial brewers, put the grounds in the basket, press the button, and 5 or so minutes later you've got a full carafe of mediocre coffee. The new machines are supposed to have touchscreens, multiple roast modes, built-in flavor shot options, and the ability to make stuff like lattes and cappuccinos.

But they're only trialing them for a week and then going back to the old ones to guage how much we liked the new ones? Seems like it's a straight upgrade but maybe people really like this mediocre coffee.

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Weather ended up being so mild I don't think the two hour delay for school was necessary. Nonetheless I'm set up in my New Home Office! for a few hours this morning. This is actually a clean-up of the Extra Bedroom Where We Store Shit, but when the prospect of extended work-from-home seemed more likely my wife got it in her head to make me an actual little office space. Prior to this I just set up my laptop and papers on the dining room table in the middle of Kid Central.

In short, my awesome wife made me an office, and I would have felt bad if I hadn't used it.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Office is closed again! Woooo

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    They're putting new coffee machines in the work kitchen today. We currently have some standard, low-tech commercial brewers, put the grounds in the basket, press the button, and 5 or so minutes later you've got a full carafe of mediocre coffee. The new machines are supposed to have touchscreens, multiple roast modes, built-in flavor shot options, and the ability to make stuff like lattes and cappuccinos.

But they're only trialing them for a week and then going back to the old ones to guage how much we liked the new ones? Seems like it's a straight upgrade but maybe people really like this mediocre coffee.

It depends how much effort the new machine takes, and how frequently it breaks down. The joy of that mediocre coffee? The apparatus that creates it is simplistic and doesn't break down alot and can handle a lot of traffic.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Last Thursday I overheard some junior high students refer to me by the nickname I have at the high school.

"Wait? What? What do they call him there?"
    "Superman."

And geez if that ain't a nickname to live up to.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    The Mayor of Redmond has declared a state of emergency so no one can go to work which is fine unless you need to go to work to get paid.

Here I go, I haven't been this nervous in a long long time.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Here I go, I haven't been this nervous in a long long time.

tenor.gif

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Got my phone interview at 12:30, 10:41 right now. Wish they had scheduled it earlier.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Got my phone interview at 12:30, 10:41 right now. Wish they had scheduled it earlier.

tenor.gif?itemid=8555534

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Well I have to wait and see, and I did great when I did my 1 on 1 with the guy who was in charge of everything, but the first part of my interview the two guys tossed a bunch of weird like year 1 IT questions that I wasn't prepared for. like what port does ping use (trick question, it doesn't use one) and what the layers of the OSI model are. I think I was getting visibly flustered. Like I've done that stuff before, in school, like a year ago. Like I mentioned that in high school we helped set up a Cisco network at my school and they asked me for specific details on what protocols we set up. Dude that was 14 years ago. I feel like I knew all the answers to questions about the harder stuff but the IT guy was trying to (and did!) trip me up on basic questions from like my networking 101 course.

We'll see how it goes but I do not feel confident.

On the plus side I'm pretty sure having bombed the biggest interview of my life in such a spectacular fashion has left me a shell and all the stress and nervousness I was feeling has now left my body along with my spirit and I feel so relaxed and so bummed.

Well I have to wait and see, and I did great when I did my 1 on 1 with the guy who was in charge of everything, but the first part of my interview the two guys tossed a bunch of weird like year 1 IT questions that I wasn't prepared for. like what port does ping use (trick question, it doesn't use one) and what the layers of the OSI model are. I think I was getting visibly flustered. Like I've done that stuff before, in school, like a year ago. Like I mentioned that in high school we helped set up a Cisco network at my school and they asked me for specific details on what protocols we set up. Dude that was 14 years ago. I feel like I knew all the answers to questions about the harder stuff but the IT guy was trying to (and did!) trip me up on basic questions from like my networking 101 course.

Don't stress out about that! Could be the IT guys were trying to gauge your level of knowledge.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Even if you bombed it (probably not) there are always other big interviews.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    tynic wrote: »
    After disassembling five pens and doing some very rough rate calculations, I'm finally confident enough to place a second spring order. Pray that it will be my last.

update: fuck springs

I don't know why, but it makes me chuckle that your nemesis is springs

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Now when Tynic's killbots take over, the resistance will know what to throw at them.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

I don't know if this is any consolation or maybe just some future proof for other interviews.

But I have received feedback from interviewers that they appreciated it when I prefaced my less confident technical answers with something like "I would have to Google this to double-check but..."

It showed that even if I didn't have the correct answer on the spot, it showed that I knew that I might be incorrect and how to remedy that.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    edited February 2019
    Yeah I should have said that. My response was more "I know I've worked with that before, and thats been a question I've answered but I haven't looked at it in awhile so I don't recall off the top of my head".

Edit: What really got me and threw me off my game was the guy whos been building me up for this since October(!) asked me that trick question about what port ping uses. I said I didn't know but I felt like 770 sounded right? (I think I was actually just working on something with that recently and it stuck in my brain). Like I talked to them about all the pen testing tools I use in my home lab, and how i set up Opera as a VPN browser on my system but I couldn't remember the difference between TCP and UDP (of course I remembered as soon as I walked out of there)

Bucketman on
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »

Don't stress out about that! Could be the IT guys were trying to gauge your level of knowledge.

As someone who just recently ran interviews for IT positions, these questions are great for gauging bull shit interviewees

A lot of the high level stuff in the IT field is actually fairly soft, so depending on the topic you can probably bullshit an answer and have it hard to verify, especially during the interview.

The basics? Those are hard facts and either you know the definitions, at least least know how they work in theory, or say you don't recall. Or you give me the bad option and try to bull shit me.

zkHcp.jpg
  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    We're getting back less in taxes this year now that we're married. Sounds like bullshit to me.

edited February 2019
    Kaplar wrote: »
    We're getting back less in taxes this year now that we're married. Sounds like bullshit to me.

All the poors are getting less in taxes back to pay for our rich overlords tax cuts so they can shower us with crumbs.

Radiation on
    Well one things for sure, I will never for the rest of my life forget that TCP numbers and organizes packets so if there is loss it can call that numbered packed back, and UDP does not, so packet loss is to be expected but its faster and has more throughput.

Also that ping doesn't use a port because its ICMP.

I feel very dumb right now

I'm certain that most people wouldn't be able to layout difference between TCP/UDP and how ping works.

Also you have the ability to follow up. Use it! If you run into them, just 'hey I was reading up after interview and forgot ping is ICMP and mispoke. I was thinking it was port x for y reason previously'.

This discussion has been closed.