As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    The Emperor should have fully explained to Magnus and Lorgar what was up.

That would have solved most of the issues.

see the thing is, burning lorgars city to the ground after he worshiped the emperor for a century was good because lorgar was a giant whiny pissbaby that nobody liked

magnus was almost as big an idiot as the emp, and him destroying the warding around the imperial webway did more damage than the entirety of the heresy combined

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

see the thing is, burning lorgars city to the ground after he worshiped the emperor for a century was good because lorgar was a giant whiny pissbaby that nobody liked

magnus was almost as big an idiot as the emp, and him destroying the warding around the imperial webway did more damage than the entirety of the heresy combined

Why would you explain anything to a screwdriver tho?

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    It's funny because the Emperor is despite his vast intelligence, a fucking idiot.

'"God does not exist," says man in universe in which four separate groups of gods exist'.
    The Eldar gods, the Chaos gods, the C'tan, and who else?

The best ones.
    Oh, I'm a dummy, I completely forgot.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The Emperor should have purged the Primarchs much more aggressively, from a ruthless point of view. Several of them were an absolute liability.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    The Emperor should have purged the Primarchs much more aggressively, from a ruthless point of view. Several of them were an absolute liability.

Really makes you wonder what those other two Primarchs did that was a bad enough fuck up to actually have been purged from history.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    the Emperor wore a shirt that he was nervous about, because it was outside his usual style

they made fun of it

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Left the seat up on the golden throne.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    shit that's way better than mine

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    What was the Emperor doing during the Dark Age of Technology? It's weird that he just sits around for thousands of years.

• SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    What was the Emperor doing during the Dark Age of Technology? It's weird that he just sits around for thousands of years.

Hiding in fear because DAOT humans/cyborgs/robots/AIs probably could have kicked his ass without much effort?

Or saving himself because he knew the Age of Strife was coming

• IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    There is too much heresy in the thread rn

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    So I finally got around to paint stripping, rebasing and putting jetpacks on some of my old metal death company from 2004. They came out okay. I have a box of the newer plastic ones and they are waaaaaayyy more detailed.

Album of 3 whole images here

The Emperor should have been much more purge-y with the Primarchs post the whole them disappearing in the warp thing

Like, if that had been me? I'd have seen some of them and what they got up to and been like

Nah

Nah he has to go

If I was a ruthless motherfucker, which if I'm the Emperor, I absolutely am

morty and angron get fed into the woodchipper fucking immediately

Mortarian

Angron

Konrad probably, I would feel bad but that kid is off the rails

Lorgar, same but the whole religious thing? Nah. Sorry homes.

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Mortarian

Angron

Konrad probably, I would feel bad but that kid is off the rails

Lorgar, same but the whole religious thing? Nah. Sorry homes.

Mortarian may have been broody but there were others with far more issues than him.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, Mortarion is middle-tier bastard son at worst, until the warp storm at least. Dude could have recovered completely with the help of a decent therapist to sort out his PTSD, Survivor’s Guilt, and Sortilegiphobia.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    morty was sadistic and cruel from the get go, the storm and fall only made it worse

He was a fucking dickbag

And also already kind of a Nurgle guy

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I feel like some of these primarch names were really setting them up for a fall from the get-go.

I dunno about you but I think I might be wondering if I was one of the baddies if I was one of the Death Guard, following around a guy called Mortarion.

Then again, really everyone has skulls on their caps anyways, so the distinction may have been lost, somewhat.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I don't think GW stuff is self aware or breaks the fourth wall like that

there is a primarch named angron who is really angry

I don't think GW stuff is self aware or breaks the fourth wall like that

Possible exceptions for Caiphas though. He seems to be aware enough of the general setting to want no part in any of it, which is why it's so entertaining watching him get stuck in neck deep.

there is a primarch named corvus corax who founded the raven guard

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Right, Pip, and inside the setting, this is played completely seriously

Sure, the names are all very self aware, I'd suggest bordering on satire in any other setting.
    But, they never acknowledge the self awareness of the names in the setting. Like Ferrus Manus (Literally Iron Hands) forming the Iron Hands legion because his hands were metal.
    But, that's never commented on by anyone.

warhammer 40k as a setting is an iron maiden album cover taken completely at face value

• SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Also imagine you're a superhuman baby carried off by the Warp from the test tube you were born in. You have no context that maybe naming yourself after your iron hands (your defining feature!) Is gauche or a bit silly. And when dad finds he gifts you 100000 slightly less superhuman soldiers who will obliterate anybody who sneers when you introduce yourself

Snowbear on
    8EVmPzM.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »
    Also imagine you're a superhuman baby carried off by the Warp from the test tube you were born in. You have no context that maybe naming yourself after your iron hands (your defining feature!) Is gauche or a bit silly. And when dad finds he gifts you 100000 slightly less superhuman soldiers who will obliterate anybody who sneers when you introduce yourself

You had me at superhuman baby

• SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    As a normal human father I'm sure superhuman babies are as terrifying to you as they are to me

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Im surprised none of the primarchs havr a superman origin. There's a batman, but no superman.

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Im surprised none of the primarchs havr a superman origin. There's a batman, but no superman.

They ALL have a superman origin...

Children's rights are human rights.
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    It's normally hard to hide being a primarch when you literally tower over normal humans. It'd be like if Clark Kent still wore glasses but was also 10 feet tall.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »
    It's normally hard to hide being a primarch when you literally tower over normal humans. It'd be like if Clark Kent still wore glasses but was also 10 feet tall.

“I always wanted to be a reporter but Coach said ‘Kent, you’re on the Basketball squad, like now’ but I broke my ankle just before the State Finals.”
    “Ooh, makes sense. See you later then, sporsdesk.”
    “Bye Lois” *sigh*

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular

This. Right here. Heresy dies because Horus cant get mass troops and the Thousand Sons don't get decimated. Magus descends to the planet and just exterminated all the traitors with psyker fire.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Ah but that's the emperor's weakness isn't it? Hubris. Pride. The weakness that infects the Imperium of Man to its very roots.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Woo, Winters did a battle report with Tyranids vs Deathwatch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrrm72iA-Rw&t=7853s

Storm shields in kill teams are pretty good

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Sure, the names are all very self aware, I'd suggest bordering on satire in any other setting.
    But, they never acknowledge the self awareness of the names in the setting. Like Ferrus Manus (Literally Iron Hands) forming the Iron Hands legion because his hands were metal.
    But, that's never commented on by anyone.

Warhammer 40k as a setting at its very origins is something that is from an outside perspective very satirical and tongue-in-cheek and referential in a lot of ways, but in-universe is treated deadly seriously (which can be quite humorous which is, or at least was early on, part of the intent)

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
This discussion has been closed.