As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Undefined discussion subject.

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Unknown User on

• Options
    Jgr9Jgr9 Registered User regular
    Is the bus sliding down the hill? I can't really tell.

• Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    Yes. Seattle is very hilly, especially downtown. People like to joke that "a little snow" isn't that big a deal, but here, where we don't get snow often, it really sucks.

FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I wonder if the difference is that a lot of people living in Seattle are from other, warmer places.

• Options
    sokpupetsokpupet Registered User regular
    Jgr9 wrote: »
    Is the bus sliding down the hill? I can't really tell.

The bus is sliding down the hill, yes.
    Like skateboarding coyotes that will steal your girl, I have seen it happen.

• Options
    ComradeCousinComradeCousin Registered User new member
    The struggle is real. My work has been closed down by this nonsense for the last week. There goes all my cash money.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I moved to Washington from the east coast, and I can confirm that the natives are total wimps.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    See also: How the rest of Canada sees Vancouver right now.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    I'm just sad the buss is severely lacking in the bolted-on skulls category. It could also use a guy playing a guitar-flamethrower to melt the snow with.

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    So how South Florida would react then.

And to be fair, South Florida is still Florida; also it's only snowed once ever down here in recorded history.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    I moved to Washington from the east coast, and I can confirm that the natives are total wimps.

They flip about about Tacoma and Seattle being dangerous and meanwhile I'm hanging out in west Baltimore

• Options
    SIXytSIXyt Esq STLRegistered User regular
    I just want to know why Tyco never wears his helmet when he’s outside anymore. It was one of my favorite ongoing gags.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    SIXyt wrote: »
    I just want to know why Tyco never wears his helmet when he’s outside anymore. It was one of my favorite ongoing gags.

It's only when its hot out, not the cold.

And yeah this area doesn't get snow like at all, getting over a foot is guaranteed to mess shit up. This storm has been ridiculous most snow I've ever seen in my 36 years of living here.

I mean I'm pretty sure this is the worst snow storm we've had in over two decades. Its not just the usual "hey we got an inch of snow and people freaked out" we got a legitimate snow storm this time.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Friday absolutely was just people going nuts. I can respect the snowstorm we're getting now, though.

• Options
    Friday absolutely was just people going nuts. I can respect the snowstorm we're getting now, though.

The media played it up though, I don't fault people for worrying when experts are saying "its going to be a real bad storm" and everyone is remembering that monday night storm we had when the hawks were playing where people didn't get home for like 8 hours.

I don't fault people for worrying when experts tell you to worry.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Also Friday and today are both in the top 9 single day snow records.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I live in the KC area, and it's humorous how the locals here react to snow. We are in a geographic location where we get a full 4 seasons. We see it all. And sometimes we have some pretty nasty winters. Almost every year (with a few exceptions now and again) we get a couple good snows. And the first snow of the season always really throws people. It's like "hey, this happens every year. People always go crazy and act like idiots during the first snow, and then they're fine." It's like people forget or something.

Because literally every year, that first snow brings the city to its knees, and then after that we're fine.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I live in the KC area, and it's humorous how the locals here react to snow. We are in a geographic location where we get a full 4 seasons. We see it all. And sometimes we have some pretty nasty winters. Almost every year (with a few exceptions now and again) we get a couple good snows. And the first snow of the season always really throws people. It's like "hey, this happens every year. People always go crazy and act like idiots during the first snow, and then they're fine." It's like people forget or something.

Because literally every year, that first snow brings the city to its knees, and then after that we're fine.

I visited KC once during a good snow, and it made me appreciate living in a very flat city.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    geniekidgeniekid Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

The media played it up though, I don't fault people for worrying when experts are saying "its going to be a real bad storm" and everyone is remembering that monday night storm we had when the hawks were playing where people didn't get home for like 8 hours.

I don't fault people for worrying when experts tell you to worry.

The Weather Service has upgraded Springfield's blizzard from "Winter Wonderland" to a "Class 3 Kill-Storm".

• Options
    You know, I'm fine with people overreacting. Below is a video that was shot not THAT far from where I live. It's in an area (Minnesota/Wisconsin) where heavy snow is old hat for most people. We get plenty of practice driving in it, we have more vehicles that are more built for, and we have equipment to keep the roads cleared of it. And yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6mHLAUjLr8

So, you know, go ahead and freak out a little and just stay home. It's okay.

(Oh, and we don't even really have much in the way of hills.)

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    My winter status is buried alive 'neath the Everfrost, the Ice Which Does Not Melt, marking the beginning of an endless age of cold that will usher humanity into the final darkness.

Seriously, there's like 3-4 inches out there.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    So Spokane is also shut down today! See its not just us being all "rawrrr snow!"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    You know, I'm fine with people overreacting. Below is a video that was shot not THAT far from where I live. It's in an area (Minnesota/Wisconsin) where heavy snow is old hat for most people. We get plenty of practice driving in it, we have more vehicles that are more built for, and we have equipment to keep the roads cleared of it. And yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6mHLAUjLr8

So, you know, go ahead and freak out a little and just stay home. It's okay.

(Oh, and we don't even really have much in the way of hills.)

I've found that most of these massive pileups during the winter years up here in Neb are from semi truck drivers.

$10 says they don't live around here.

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    geniekid wrote: »
    The Weather Service has upgraded Springfield's blizzard from "Winter Wonderland" to a "Class 3 Kill-Storm".

I don't like the sound of that 'Class 3'.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    I wonder if the difference is that a lot of people living in Seattle are from other, warmer places.

I don't think so. Plenty here are from the midwest or back east or the mountains, too. It's a lack of infrastructure to deal with it, because snow happens once or twice a year (and storms like this maybe once a decade). I came from Montana, I've driven in snow a time or two. I also put on winter tires every year there, and didn't drive a Mini, and they have more plows in Bozeman than they have in Seattle, despite Bozeman being about 5% the size. Seattle's normal response is to just wait a day for the rain to come back and melt the snow, and 99% of the time it works.

This is the 1%.

I read a thing today in the Times about Seattle's actual snow management strategy (in the city proper that is) being built around clearing streets just enough to be passable by 4WD and chained vehicles; it's meant to allow emergency traffic primarily. From the amount of sand used (and no salt), the height of plow blades, etc, it's all about not damaging the road surface and letting police get where they need to be, then waiting for the temp to go back above freezing to take care of it.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular

But "Kill" is fine?

• Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if the gag is they're about to get crushed by that bus, or if Gabe is considering Mad Max-ing the bus up with some skulls.

• Options
    faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    This metro bus sliding sideways down a hill thing? I've seen this with my own eyes.

People do weird stuff in seattle when it snows. I also saw people stop in the middle of the road to put their chains on at the first sign of flakes, people try to drive in the wrong lane up a hill (because of???), people not bother to clear a foot of snow off their roof, then when they stop they suddenly have a pile of snow on the windshield and can't see, etc etc.

faits.png
  • Options
    Djiem wrote: »

But "Kill" is fine?

I live in Florida. Every storm is a killstorm.

• Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    Djiem wrote: »

But "Kill" is fine?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTg_a5tXxl8qo_G-KR_-yS3I-TwS9dYstdNf-B-w79jqC_bcCrxCw

• Options
    Abbe.FariaAbbe.Faria Registered User regular
    Living in Spokane right now, while it's true we did have a partial shut down it still wasn't anything outside the norm and only lasted long enough till the plows could clear the roads. Now half a decade or so ago THAT was a bad snow storm, not because things shut down but because the city snow plow budget ran out, let that sink in that a storm lasted long enough that it dried up the budget of a place that is use to dealing with this stuff every year.

PS Cheney just south of Spokane is pretty much Hoth or Tatooine depending on the season, sits right on the start of the endless farm fields that dominate the middle of Washington.

• Options
    hibryd7hibryd7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    This comic is totally spot on.

I moved to Seattle for a few years, a few years back (Specifically, Lynnwood...I was disappointed I never bumped into Mike or Jerry). I had lived in WI prior to that where we'd routinely get 7 feets of snow overnight and still be expected to show up to work on time the next morning.

My first winter in Seattle there was a forecast of a half inch of snow, and as the comic regales, the citizenry began screaming in the streets and and weeping and repenting. I just gave them all a puzzled look and went about my business.

The accursed half inch fell and I began driving to work. I took a little side street that wasn't more than a few hundred feet but it wound back and forth and sharply down, like a sidewinder descending a sand dune. It had no railings or shoulder. Upon easing into the first turn, I realized I basically had no traction and I was now in control of a 3000 lbs toboggan. Through some combination of reflexive animal instinct and pure luck, I made it to the bottom of that street with all 4 of my tires still on the road, hyperventilating and wide-eyed.

By the next snowfall I was right along with the rest of the populace, burning candles in vigil, asking God to spare us shortsighted sinners.

An inch of snow in WI makes your yard look pretty. An inch of snow in Seattle will PUT YOU IN THE FUCKING GROUND.

hibryd7 on
  • Options
    Of course, even in heavily snowy places, it can still put you in the fucking ground. I faced a harsh reality when I went to visit my wife's family in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. This reality was large crossbars (currently up) along the freeway. Those were for closing the freeway. You know, because of white out conditions since wind+snow+a flat plain=less draw distance than Superman 64. And it happened frequently enough that they needed permanent structures.

And yes, one time I did get stuck in the white out. That one hour (to get less than one mile to the next exit) took about 5 years off my life.