As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Witness the beginning of a [movies] thread

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    What if instead of just CGI-ing scarily too-real anthropomorphic animal people, the roles were all played by people but they were wearing costuming to represent the animals from the original?

An unironic yes, and also a hell yes to whatever creepy fox mask someone manages to find in the time it takes me to post this.

Hard to emote in a mask. Better just do the ears and tails and maybe a bit of clever face paint

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    No masks no deal

I want the next Robin Hood movie to look like this:

il_fullxfull.904943383_p65i.jpg

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    xtnjmlpgl92z.jpg

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I am watching velvet buzzsaw

if nothing else I love Jake Gylllenhaal as a douchey art critic

he is loving every second of this

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    It's good that you enjoy that performance because the performances are the only good part of that movie

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I'm hoping that Dune is so successful we start adapting old sci-fi books instead of remaking movies that already exist.

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    No masks no deal

I want the next Robin Hood movie to look like this:

il_fullxfull.904943383_p65i.jpg

No I want it to be my fetish

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I'm hoping that Dune is so successful we start adapting old sci-fi books instead of remaking movies that already exist.

I'm pretty sure they are in fact remaking a movie that already exists

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Millennium has shelved the Red Sonja movie but has not said they've fired Bryan Singer from it, which makes me think they still believe they can let it lay low for a bit and put it back on the slate when public attention isn't on Singer so closely

Which is fuckin grody, just fire him and make the movie! It's that easy!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I still feel David Lynch's got the look of the books but everyone else who has done a movie of them does a pulp sci fi look
    I still really would have liked to see what Giger had done if he was able
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN4xJ7WeCg0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2cXVkNE4B0

Still I know Giger was swiss but he sounds ever so German

• Options

I don't think another adaptation counts as a remake unless they're like...using the same screenplay

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    A direct book adaptation would be pretty different from previous the film adaptation, but it's still going back to an overused well.

• Options
    Also he was able to use his designs for the Harkonnen Castle for a commercial for Pioneer in Japan
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rz60g0Qs40

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    But it's not a remake of the Dune movie, it's another adaptation of the Dune novel.

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

I don't think another adaptation counts as a remake unless they're like...using the same screenplay

I think it's a bit hazier than that. Like, the Disney remakes have all been unquestionably remakes of the previous Disney animated film, even though they all have independent source material. But they're also not functioning on the exact same screenplay.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    actually it would be cool if adaptions would chill out for a second

this take is cold as ice but dang it'd be cool to see a blockbuster based on an original screenplay sometimes

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

this take is cold as ice but dang it'd be cool to see a blockbuster based on an original screenplay sometimes

Let me tell you about Jupiter Ascending

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

it rules, i know

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I agree but also I love Dune and Villeneuve so uh, yeah, I'm glad this one's happening

• Options

I like this movie

it's trying to be Star Wars for people who are really into Sailor Moon and that's a really neat idea

overall it's just too weird not to love

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I love JUPITER Ascending SO MUCH

• Options

Your emphasis here makes me want to ask

is there another Ascending you very pointedly do not love?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

its a REFERENCE to eddie REDMANE

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    China has entered the cinematic space race. Wandering Earth, the country’s first blockbuster sci-fi film, is on track to be one of the highest-grossing films in China’s history.

The film has brought in more than 2bn yuan (£232m) in the six days since its release on 5 February, lunar new year. So far, it is the highest-grossing film released over the holiday season, a peak time for the Chinese box office.

Set in the distant future, the governments of Earth, confronted with annihilation from an unstable sun, have strapped thrusters on to the planet, ejecting it out into the universe in search of a new home. But as the Earth approaches Jupiter, a malfunction in the system puts it on course to crash into the planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8LAwozrXPo

this looks really good

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

There was another...
    MV5BODA2NmY4NDEtNjk1Yi00NmI1LTgwMjEtYWZmMjRmMDUyMTlkL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,675,1000_AL_.jpg

• Options

its a REFERENCE to eddie REDMANE

Oh is there an Ascending of some sort he very pointedly does not love?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    You know when we're at the point where we can strap engines to the planet and drive it around I would fucking hope that the planet is but one of many places humans inhabit

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    You know when we're at the point where we can strap engines to the planet and drive it around I would fucking hope that the planet is but one of many places humans inhabit

Have you tired that in Kerbal? has anyone?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I heard studio applause in my head when Kyle MacLachlan walked into High Flying Bird

I hope his incredible performance in Twin Peaks has brought him back

Denis put Kyle MacLachlan in your Dune movie, it'll be fun

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

I like this movie

it's trying to be Star Wars for people who are really into Sailor Moon and that's a really neat idea

overall it's just too weird not to love

Bees don't lie.

Bees

Don't

Lie.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    When we saw the Lego Movie 2 yesterday I had the weirdest experience I've had in a theater in a while

There were a lot of kids, obviously given the movie, and I am used to Kid Bullshit in movies so whatever, bring on the crying baby

The theater had reclining seats so me and my girlfriend reclined ours all the way and were watching the movie when we felt someone bumping into the chairs. Figured someone was just accidentally kicking it

Then I hear breathing right by my head

Some parent let their kid climb on the backs of our seats and plop themselves just above our heads

When we asked the kid to get down they were super snotty about it and their parent shot us a dirty look

who lets their kid do that?!?!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    When we saw the Lego Movie 2 yesterday I had the weirdest experience I've had in a theater in a while

There were a lot of kids, obviously given the movie, and I am used to Kid Bullshit in movies so whatever, bring on the crying baby

The theater had reclining seats so me and my girlfriend reclined ours all the way and were watching the movie when we felt someone bumping into the chairs. Figured someone was just accidentally kicking it

Some parent let their kid climb on the backs of our seats and plop themselves just above our heads

When we asked the kid to get down they were super snotty about it and their parent shot us a dirty look

I really wanna go to y'alls theaters where this kind of thing is a rarity and not something that happens every single time I go to the theater

• Options

A surprising number of parents who basically hate everyone and expect the entire world to just acquiesce their child.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    That doesn't happen in theatres here

And people don't applaud or cheer

Thank God

• Options
    My worst movie kid experience was in Broly where every time a female character came on screen some kid would shout his opinion about her tits.

• Options
    I have had kids literally jump over me as they walked down the seat "aisles" by stepping from arm rest to arm rest over the actual seat part of the seat, regardless of whether it was occupied

I have had this happen twice

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    My worst movie kid experience was in Broly where every time a female character came on screen some kid would shout his opinion about her tits.
    I had something like that happen when I saw the My Hero Academia movie

There is a Master Roshi style Terrible Pervert character in that show and when he showed up a horde of teens roared in approval and continued to do so whenever he did Gross Stuff

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    velvet buzzsaw feels like it wanted to be a straight-faced movie about art world intrigue and then also a Final Destination knockoff and couldn't decide which it preferred so it just kinda sucks at both

it is mostly just boring and isn't tense or scary at any point

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    I had something like that happen when I saw the My Hero Academia movie

There is a Master Roshi style Terrible Pervert character in that show and when he showed up a horde of teens roared in approval and continued to do so whenever he did Gross Stuff

The worst thing was all the gross dudes who saw this, the actions of a literal child, as an appropriate way to behave and cosigned it by leering and whooping every time she was onscreen. It was incredibly gross, my partner nearly walked out and I won't see another DBZ movie in theatres because of it.

• Options
    velvet buzzsaw feels like it wanted to be a straight-faced movie about art world intrigue and then also a Final Destination knockoff and couldn't decide which it preferred so it just kinda sucks at both

it is mostly just boring and isn't tense or scary at any point

Yeah, that was my exact reaction.

It has some fun bits, but it could not decide what it wanted to be and as a result it felt like a half season of television condensed into a two hour movie with no real throughline.

This discussion has been closed.