As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Since I haven't seen it posted much, if you see a little Triangle Spider Robot thing like what you get when you level up, smash that thing. It's got goodies inside.

....... DAMMIT

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Me: "We totally would've won that engagement if I had Caustic to gas up that choke point."
    (switches to Caustic next game)
    Me: "We totally would've won that engagement if I had Pathfinder to get us up to that ledge to negate their height advantage."
    (switches to Pathfinder next game)
    Me: "We totally would've won that engagement if I had..."

You need someone to play pathfinder and someone to play caustic so that you can predict the next circle to decide which chunk of the map to turn into a fun house.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Since I haven't seen it posted much, if you see a little Triangle Spider Robot thing like what you get when you level up, smash that thing. It's got goodies inside.

Oh man, thanks. Ive seen them but thought they were for pathfinder or something.

steam_sig.png
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    I made the mistake of playing Titanfall 2 before playing this for the first time last night. I kept trying to wall jump.

It still has some movement stuff..

https://v.redd.it/1fyd94gflvf21

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    They make pretty distinct noises too so keep the volume up. It's also helpful for hearing enemy footsteps/healing noises.

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    FYI if you are having a ton of crashes on PS4 (like I was) apparently turning off translate voice to text in the options fixes it. I've had two matches after I made the swap without issue. Before that I was crashing really frequently this morning. Not 100% but seems like it worked?

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    So, heads-up for Nvidia graphics users: it looks like they *may* be an issue with the latest drivers (418.81, released last week). I was getting random (and semi-frequent) crash to desktop with "device sent bad data" or something to that effect (DirectX issue). I had recently upgraded my graphics card so I assumed the worst, turns out that a lot of people are having this issue. A full clean install of the previous drivers (417.71) seems to have resolved my issues. Others are reporting it doesn't, but it may be because they're not doing a full clean out/re-install.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    So, heads-up for Nvidia graphics users: it looks like they *may* be an issue with the latest drivers (418.81, released last week). I was getting random (and semi-frequent) crash to desktop with "device sent bad data" or something to that effect (DirectX issue). I had recently upgraded my graphics card so I assumed the worst, turns out that a lot of people are having this issue. A full clean install of the previous drivers (417.71) seems to have resolved my issues. Others are reporting it doesn't, but it may be because they're not doing a full clean out/re-install.

The 418.81 drivers are just fucked from the top down.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    So battle passes will come out in march, based on how other games work does it probably make sense for me to just wait for that to drop some money into the game? I've never Fortnighted and the faq isn't super clear on what I can expect to get from a battle pass vs just buying some packs now/then.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    What exactly does a battle pass do in games like these?

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    What exactly does a battle pass do in games like these?

Some combination of
    - an allowance of premium currency
    - ups the rewards gained from matches
    - gives access to a new type of reward system

Usually Battle Passes grant progression based rewards like skins for weapons and characters as you complete challenges. I'm gonna guess for this game it also includes new characters.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    FAQ on the battle pass: https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/about/frequently-asked-questions
    What is the Battle Pass?

The Battle Pass is a seasonal system that rewards players with exclusive cosmetic items. These rewards are a mix of exclusive seasonal cosmetics and Apex Packs. Every player can unlock some of these items each season through normal play; those who choose to purchase the Battle Pass can earn everything available that season, around 100 different rewards.

Do I keep everything I’ve earned with Battle Pass once the Season ends?

Yes, everything you earn with the Battle Pass is yours to keep, even after the Season is over.

Do I get Legends by purchasing a Battle Pass?

No, Legends will not be included in the Battle Pass. The Battle Pass gives players exclusive cosmetic items and Apex Packs.

How long are Seasons?

Each season will run for approximately three months.

Since the level cap is 100, you'll no longer be able to get any free loot boxes after that - XP only gives you legend tokens at that point. So I think the battle pass will be the way you get most of your loot boxes. Probably it's a lot cheaper than buying the boxes, but takes a lot of games to earn them.

Interesting. I didn't realize loot boxes were capped like that.

I'd be more likely to pickup the battle pass for new characters, tbh. I've never picked up the passes for other games since most of the time there's only a handful of items if actually want from them.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I believe a win also gives you a loot box, but I might be wrong?

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Thanks! I guess there isn't much to do but wait and hope a few more details come out on what sort of challenges you'll have to meet to make good use of a battle pass. As well as how much a pass will cost. I totally understand why the system is the way it is, because it makes more money, but I do miss just buying a game sometimes. Though I'd be unlikely to have bought this one, so yet again, their way is obviously the right one economically.

• SejarkiSejarki Registered User regular
    You need someone to play pathfinder and someone to play caustic so that you can predict the next circle to decide which chunk of the map to turn into a fun house.

Can confirm.

Finally got my friend their first win with them as Pathfinder and myself playing Caustic (who I didn't even intend to choose, just misclicked). Taking the final fight from a high ledge was crazy good, and I got to just keep chucking barrels off the ledge for the minor annoyance factor.

• Katsuhiro 1139Katsuhiro 1139 Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I picked this up yesterday - loved Titanfall 1 and 2, though I never gave 2's multi a fair shake.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/katsuhiro-1139/video/69190004

Was getting my ass kicked yesterday, then 3 wins in a row just now. When it rains it pours!

Edit3 : I also do not know how to embed. I give up!

Katsuhiro 1139 on
    You can either download the video and put it on Youtube/Twitter, or make a Gifv. Xbox DVR has a built in gif maker if it's a shorter clip.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Fallout's doing his thing in Apex, I'm so happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nleGI7XBLg

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Why am I not using pathfinder? Flanking and repositioning is my entire game. It fits me so well.

He’s like a vertical version of wraith and wraith seems great! Too bad my buddy hogs her.

Sit down lifeline it’s pathfinder time

616610-1.png
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    Pathfinder's grapple is low key amazing. Tips:

- While grappled, you have some movement control and can swing around to the side of the point you grappled to. This allows you to propel yourself past that point and get a lot more distance.
    - If you grapple the floor in front of you, and then jump while grappled, you will be launched upwards and past the point you grappled to. You can use this to move faster on straight terrain, and also to mix up the approach when charging an enemy.
    - You can grapple enemies to pull them in, but if you miss them you may end up grappling in a straight line towards them instead which is real bad. I haven't gotten the hang of this yet so I'm not sure how useful it is.

Another good tip for the Zipline, you can stick it to rockfaces and walls, you'd be surprised what it can do if you mess around with it.

For Grapple, if you can't *quite* make it to the top, press forward as you hit the wall, and you'll do the wall climb move as you land near the edge

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »

- While grappled, you have some movement control and can swing around to the side of the point you grappled to. This allows you to propel yourself past that point and get a lot more distance.
    - If you grapple the floor in front of you, and then jump while grappled, you will be launched upwards and past the point you grappled to. You can use this to move faster on straight terrain, and also to mix up the approach when charging an enemy.
    - You can grapple enemies to pull them in, but if you miss them you may end up grappling in a straight line towards them instead which is real bad. I haven't gotten the hang of this yet so I'm not sure how useful it is.

Low key? I thought it was accepted that pathfinder is one of the most meta characters?

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    Let the record show, I played grapple bot before it was cool

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    It was always cool.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I've been having a lot of fun with Gibralter. His shield has been huge when going for a rez or to make a hasty retreat when in a terrible position.

I have no idea what the actual meta looks like for this game but I've been having some decent success. Gotta get better at the actual shooting of it all but I'm getting the hang of everything else really quickly. The pinging system is AMAZING, and it's really painful when playing with squadmates who never use it. It's like night-and-day in terms of info-sharing.

I'm also pretty happy with how chill most of the players I've played with seem. Only one toxic jerk so far, and even he just sounded like he was having a bad day.

• gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    anyone get anything cool from lootboxes yet? I havent bought any yet, the ones Ive gotten were from account leveling. Ive gotten 2 legendaries: The Lost Queen skin for the Hemlock and 600 crafting mats( which is awesome)

BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    I'm also pretty happy with how chill most of the players I've played with seem. Only one toxic jerk so far, and even he just sounded like he was having a bad day.

Yeah, I haven't run into many toxic players, just one guy in particular that decided to call me some more colorful form of stupid idiot for picking up a gun that he wanted.

(She/Her)
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Cruor wrote: »

Yeah, I haven't run into many toxic players, just one guy in particular that decided to call me some more colorful form of stupid idiot for picking up a gun that he wanted.

Mine was over making an executive decision to maybe not go to the hotspot dropsite where a million other squads were going and were going to get to before us. Also he yelled at me when he ran off alone and died and I decided not to run into danger balls-first to grab his revive card thingy.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I haven't had anyone be dickish to me even while I am spectacularly bad at the game.
    The default incoming voice volume though is crazy high and I almost had my eardrums melt out of my head when the first person spoke.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Yeah no one I've been matched with has been like "oh god your only level 4? Christ" which I fully expected

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    My favourite is getting matched up with 2 guys with like 40 kills and I have 2 so far.
    im-helping-35445714.png

Every once in a while we load in, and the previous round champ has like, 400+ kills

Like, how

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yeah the community forming around this game is so far extremely chill.

Compared to say Overwatch that had the signature Blizzard Fan Problem day 1

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »

Pathfinder's grapples gave us a crazy amazing advantage at the end to win this match:

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Dammit, I'm starting to get tired of being paired up with a pair of random jackasses that just plow straight on in one direction without pinging me that that's what they're doing. I just got killed by a squad because I had no clue my other two squadmates decided to run off when I wasn't looking. Yeah, part of it is on me for not paying more attention to them but for Pete's sake, one of them actually ran away from me earlier when I was dropping a heal drone for her, wasting my ability's use there.

• GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
    Are there any words as sweet as "You ARE the Apex Champion"?

Man, what an amazingly fun match. And I remembered to use my abilities every time this time! And because of it, we WON!

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Seeing yourself on one of the in world banners is real cool.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork