As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ALL-BLACK THE [FASHION THREAD]

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    1) I’ve been spending so much and I need to stop ahhh

2) But I should totally buy this right???
    33332-01_800x.JPG?v=1547055468

yes. it is the year of the pig, after all

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Zip’s adamant no makes it more tempting 🤔

poo
  • bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Also acne prone skin advice would be great! I had to cycle out my Eminence products because they stopped being effective, got on the Korean skin care regimen, and haven't found it to be nearly as good. So suggestions on new products would be super helpful!

@Cello
    Yay! There are basically a bajillion products you could use on the Korean skin care regimen. What I’ve found helpful is Hanskin cleansing oil & blackhead [pha] and the cosrx salicylic acid daily gentle cleanser. My skin responds really well to AHAs and BHAs (ie salicylic acid/glycolic acid). I also really Ike paula’s choice skin perfecting 2% bha liquid exfoliant.

My other advice is see a derm if you haven’t, or ask your GP for a prescription - I started using Retin-A a month ago and have seen a real difference. I only have occasional breakouts but wanted to bring out the big guns for really nice skin for an event this summer, and retinoids can take a little while for your skin to adjust. My adjustment period hasn’t been too bad because I’m slowly ramping it up - I haven’t had a purge of new zits or anything, so that’s good!
    I would like to know about sunscreens! I basically require them for anything more than an hour's outside if sunny.

@LuvTheMonkey
    Everyone should wear sunscreen every day! You have a choice between physical or chemical sunscreens. Chemical sunscreen absorbs into your skin and converts UV rays, physical sunscreen sits on top of your skin and reflects UV rays. Physical tends to be better if you have sensitive skin and it’s a little more moisturizing, but it can also have give you a bit of a white cast (newer versions less so). Physical sunscreen is better if you’ll be sweating a lot of swimming, or just want something that absorbs faster into your skin.

Also, reapply midway through the day!

I currently use Neutrogena face sensitive skin sunscreen spf 50 but will be switching to Biore UV aquarich watery essence spf 50 when I’m out. It’s a Japanese brand and you can get it on amazon for fairly cheap (~$18) and I’ve read really good things. It’s a chemical sunscreen. I’m not as up to date on the latest recs for physical sunscreens.
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I'd like advice for general dry skin!
    @webguy20
    Moisturize before bed and in the morning (morning moisturizer should have spf, see above!). Look for moisturizers with ceramides as an ingredient - these help hydrate skin. Rec: cerave PM facial moisturizing lotion. If you really need to rehabilitate habitually dry skin, hydrating face masks would be a good option - lush does a good fresh face mask (oatifix is great for dry skin), or there are the Korean face mask options. Look for one that advertises hydrating properties, or has manuka honey as an ingredient. They’re pretty mainstream now so you can find them at Ulta or bed bath and beyond.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Is it ok to just use a moisturiser with SPF or would you recommend putting sunscreen on as well?

Thanks for all the advice bits!

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What are the odds of the bare spot on my right jawline/cheek being caused by clogged pores or something?

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Who makes that aloha shirt? It's one of the few things I try to be conscious of who I'm buying from.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Seems very unlikely, unless it's swollen/painful as well as being bare. Probably just an old scar or something.

Doodmann wrote: »
    Who makes that aloha shirt? It's one of the few things I try to be conscious of who I'm buying from.

https://www.reynspooner.com/ these guys

pls inform me as to who is good to buy from

poo
  • bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    Is it ok to just use a moisturiser with SPF or would you recommend putting sunscreen on as well?

Thanks for all the advice bits!

I think the potential problem with moisturizers with spf is that people may not put enough on for the spf to be effective, so I’d just recommend being mindful of putting enough of a layer on to be effective (imagine you’re putting on sunscreen instead of moisturizer). I use a tinted moisturizer with 30 spf in the mornings, but I mix it with a good amount of the Neutrogena 50 spf I mentioned just to make sure I have good coverage. Also remember to put some on your neck!

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

Oh yea, Reyn Spooner are basically THE guys, so that's a good brand. Hilo Hattie is also good these days from what I can tell.

Although you're kind of already doing it wrong if you're buying a new one.

Now if you want to be legit about it, you go find someone like this: https://sigzanedesigns.com/

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay

Oh yea, Reyn Spooner are basically THE guys, so that's a good brand. Hilo Hattie is also good these days from what I can tell.

Although you're kind of already doing it wrong if you're buying a new one.

Yes that’s fair, I heard vintage / thrifting is the way to be

Never really owned any nice ones

My friend (the one who poisoned my mind with male fashion and expensive tastes) has some cool ones from when he used to work at a vintage store back in college

poo
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Zip’s adamant no makes it more tempting 🤔

Every other post of yours is complaining about you spending too much money and then hemming and hawing about if you should or shouldn't buy something and then you go out and buy it anyway without referring back to your own complaining about spending too much money (or your company's falling stock prices).

I figured a simple "no" would speak to most of those things and save a bit of time.

edited February 2019
    that's fair

(tbh i can afford all these things without a problem and i haven't gotten myself in trouble, but you're right, i do say this too much
    i'm a bit of a shithead tbh

and i do want to be more intentional with my spending thus i should slow down, KonMari my life, reassess what i need and don't need and value, and then buy more things. or not buy things. consumerism, hoo boy)

also, i also use biore watery essence! though i mostly just use moisturizer with spf 30, maybe i should be doing both. i should be better about these things, been trying the last few years after not caring much most of my younger life (dark skin, never burn, doesn't mean i won't get sun damage and wrinkles).

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    The best way to avoid being tempted to buy things that make you feel better is to just be poor.

Like me!

or have children, after which point no depth of riches will make up for the petty expense of toys, one-use baby fashion and 'food'

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    okay y'all convinced me, i have purchased the jacket

also got a pair of pants that were 60% off

uc3ufTB.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I also want that jacket but then I know the chances of us both wearing it the next time we hang out will go up to 100%

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    you say that like there's something wrong with that

uc3ufTB.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I just don't want to increase the chances we're going to come around a corner and have to get our asses beat by Kazuma Kiryu

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Well, if you're gonna get beat up by Majima, at least call me first

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »

if you're not gonna, I am

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    You better, dude.

Also re: sunscreen

I have never in my life met a sunscreen that does not cause me 400x zitapalooza on my face and often also shoulders.

I still use it, because I'm not a dumbass, but like. It's terrible to have to choose between not getting skin cancer and not getting acne scars.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »

I'm also getting a Magnum PI vibe off of it. Which depending on your feelings about Tom Selleck, is the yes or no.

sig.gif
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Is sunscreen safer now than it used to be? Growing up the impression I always got was that sunscreen isn't really good for you but it's better than getting melanoma. If I'm outdoors for a long period of time I'll slather it on and try to maintain, but I always wash it off as soon as I can once I get home.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Also try to select kinds of sunscreen that don't contain... oxybenzone and octinoxate, especially if you're going into the ocean.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I don’t know much about possible side effects for sunscreen, but I do know it is absolutely effective at its primary purpose. Making really cool science videos possible:

https://youtu.be/GRD-xvlhGMc

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Is sunscreen safer now than it used to be? Growing up the impression I always got was that sunscreen isn't really good for you but it's better than getting melanoma. If I'm outdoors for a long period of time I'll slather it on and try to maintain, but I always wash it off as soon as I can once I get home.

Depends on how old you are (and how upset you get if you're visibly covered from sunscreen made with zinc)

You want to shoot at SPF30 at the minimum. If you go higher, make sure you apply the same amount as you would of the lower end ones. You also want broad-spectrum sunscreen.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »

It depends on your background and the sun you absorb. Additives in Sunscreen are still yet to be linked with issues with people.

But! There are always butts. Hiding yourself from UV light is not good (hence why people get SADS) so if you are a white person you need a small amount of light (morning and evening in sunny areas in summer) and as much light as possible/try not to get sunburnt in winter. If you have darker skin you struggle to make melanin so you will need to increase your sun intake.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I think the recommendation is 10-30 minutes depending on how much you can handle before you burn, 3 times a week.

So if you plan to be out longer than that put on some sunscreen (it doesn't block 100%, so if you're out for a few hours in the summer you'll get enough vitamin D exposure).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DabeDabe Photographist Portland, ORRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Wool Goth
    tnj5no68sxrt.jpg

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    we've got an early autumn wedding coming up - likely warm - and my partner said she was going to order this jumpsuit

me: (sensing an opportunity to spend some money) should i get something for the wedding, too?

her: ok. you can get something that matches

me: (online shops like a pro and less than ten minutes later) how about this
    Sessions_S_S_Shirt_SteelGrey.jpg

(to wear with my gunmetal grey suit pants and potentially blazer, weather pending)

her: hmmm... it's too matchy matchy

me: you told me to find something that matches!

her: yeah but that matches too much

(is it too matchy matchy? i can easily drop the obstinate act)

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    They're both stripey with the same colors and line width, so I would say it's too matchy.

sig.gif
    Too matchy for sure

Oh, recently I bought one of these popovers in black for summer

I quite like it! Looks good on me imo
    The thing is now I’m like should I have gotten tan instead
    Don’t own much tan

poo
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    There appears to be a lot of twirling involved....

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    looks like dangly-icicle christmas light-style strings of LEDs draped in between folds of dark blue gauzy fabric?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    I wonder if I could pull off a leather jacket sometime

Should I begin saving for one 🤔

poo
    edited February 2019
    ok that shirt's a faux pas

what about this one?
    r381195_wht_1.jpg

else i'll probably just go plain white and maybe try to find a nice grey tie, maybe like this

tbh my suit is nice enough and so rarely worn that i could wear it with a white t-shirt to great effect

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg