As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    She will show up again, in various forms, but you'll know it's her. You may have other people in the dream with you to fight her, but they aren't real, and can't help you. You have to stand firm and face her, knowing, and more importantly, believing, that you are alive and real. You'll know it's a dream, questioning if this is a real spectre or a stress dream, the thing is to force her out all the same. When you're asleep and she shows up, feel the life in you, focus it. Face her down and burn her out of your world.

Well I should point out that while I felt fear in the dream, when I woke I was exhilarated and really wished the theme of that dream was a movie I could watch. If it is a recurring dream, I look forward to it with relish. My dream brain seems to be pretty good at keeping me entertained.

@Cambiata Try making some work of art off the dream.

Krathoon on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I really need to get Hulu and Netflix again. I haven't seen any new horror movies in aaaages and I realized it's because I don't really use any streaming services right now!

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    She will show up again, in various forms, but you'll know it's her. You may have other people in the dream with you to fight her, but they aren't real, and can't help you. You have to stand firm and face her, knowing, and more importantly, believing, that you are alive and real. You'll know it's a dream, questioning if this is a real spectre or a stress dream, the thing is to force her out all the same. When you're asleep and she shows up, feel the life in you, focus it. Face her down and burn her out of your world.

Well I should point out that while I felt fear in the dream, when I woke I was exhilarated and really wished the theme of that dream was a movie I could watch. If it is a recurring dream, I look forward to it with relish. My dream brain seems to be pretty good at keeping me entertained.

@Cambiata Try making some work of art off the dream.

I've thought of this before but am not a particularly good artist. Though there's one visual scene from one of my dreams that's still so burned into my memory that I think I could possibly paint it - a rather gory opera that ends with the female protagonist singing her triumphant final aria on a red and black stage (implied that it's raining blood) while wearing a white glittering dress.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

As I can't understand the comments, I will assume that this is a real ghost / demon / ghost demon and everybody is commenting to say so

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    More importantly what is going on with that crossing sign?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    More importantly what is going on with that crossing sign?

It’s a drive slow, spirits are crossing sign.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    they look friendly! spirit crossing guard! getting the little ghost kids safely to ghost school. cuz when you die you just get born as a ghost and you get another shot and if you do good then you get born as a human again, but if you do bad in ghost school then you get a job as a demon working in the public sector for hell's bureaucracy. which isn't bad, really, there's a lot to be said for being a public servant, but still.

As I can't understand the comments, I will assume that this is a real ghost / demon / ghost demon and everybody is commenting to say so

Welcome to Japan!

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I haven't watched too many spooky movies but I wanted to tell yall that Channel Zero is worth watching. I'll try to avoid spoilers but feel free to skip this post if you are worried about me slipping.

Season 1 is Candle Cove and I thought that they used the puppet stuff really well. I remember last time it was brought up in this thread people were saying they over explained stuff but I found all the explanations to be unsatisfactory, much like a Lost mystery. I don't regret watching it though and it turns out that the Kris Straub story has a whole fandom/wiki around it where people add their own stuff and that's kind of cool.

Season 2 is No End House Which is easily my favorite. I would rank it up with movies like Sixth Sense and It Follows in terms of quality. Much like those two movies it takes place in a mostly normal world but with things always seeming off in a way that you just can't place. I found myself on edge/uncomfortable throughout the story and even rented it again from the library so I could re-watch it. The actors all do a great job with their roles as well, lots of good facial acting in this one.

Season 3 is Butcher's Block and I went in with low expectations since the baddies in this one are kind of cannibals which are in a cult which serves an unnamed god who looks suspiciously what you might depict the biblical devil as. The plot sort of meanders and towards the final episodes it feels more like unconnected events happening than a coherent plot. I did think the two main girls did an excellent job acting, and there is a B-plot with the main character struggling with her families schizophrenia and trying not to deal with her past that is really interesting. Otherwise I would say skip this one entirely.

Will have to wait till Season 4 is released on DVD to watch it but I am looking forward to it. With only 6 hour long episodes per season the pacing feels really good with no filler.

Bedlam on
    I wonder how much they paid Straub.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I wonder how much they paid Straub.

I heard he has 2 deep fryers now.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    No end house was so good. Even from a music and cinematography department. Really great use of every tool they had. Good actors too.

I didn't finish butcher's block. I just really didn't understand. The scene in the tub was fascinatingly gross.

But the real shame is that they took stairs in the woods from the search and rescue stories on nosleep which are way way more interesting and not sure why they didn't use that concept.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Steven Spielberg's production company just picked up The Spire in the Woods, a nosleep story and then book, for a movie adaptation (retitled as The Bells)

I read it over the last couple days and it starts strong but really lost me in the last couple chapters

Grey Ghost on
    edited February 2019
    Spire is one of two stories people go crazy over on no sleep and I didn't care for either. (The other is borrasca)

They both lean toward drama over horror and I got pretty bored.

Why can't someone make a movie or series about Left Right game

Adus on
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Steven Spielberg's production company just picked up The Spire in the Woods, a nosleep story and then book, for a movie adaptation (retitled as The Bells)

I read it over the last couple days and it starts strong but really lost me in the last couple chapters

So its a normal Creepypasta

What's the other story?

I realized I forgot so I edited it back in. Borrasca.

That bit in P.T. where the radio says, "Look behind you."

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

For those who don't know, SlimySwampGhost does a lot of spooky photos on Twitter.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Adus wrote: »
    No end house was so good. Even from a music and cinematography department. Really great use of every tool they had. Good actors too.

I didn't finish butcher's block. I just really didn't understand. The scene in the tub was fascinatingly gross.

But the real shame is that they took stairs in the woods from the search and rescue stories on nosleep which are way way more interesting and not sure why they didn't use that concept.

I really loved the whole aesthetic of No End House but I really think they dragged it out and made it overstay its welcome. The show just felt extraordinarily hollow after a few episodes.

Adus wrote: »

I really loved the whole aesthetic of No End House but I really think they dragged it out and made it overstay its welcome. The show just felt extraordinarily hollow after a few episodes.

The eating was pretty messed up.

Wising fwom da gwave once again, to remind everyone that Jordan Peele's new movie Us comes out in a week, on the 15th! We've also got Pet Semetary coming out soon, featuring Bearded Jon Lithgow saying "dead is bettah" more than likely, so hey! In fact, 2019 is shaping up to be a pretty good year for horror releases! We've got sequels to Zombieland (!) and IT, a new Child's Play, a new Grudge! Yep, exciting stuff ahead folksssss

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Really hope the new Pet Semetary is good, that old one does not hold up outside of Fred Gwynn's amazing accent

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    when the baby comes back as murder baby is pretty good

also fuckin' seriously, stop burying things there

No no this one will work

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Zombieland was great.

I hope the sequel is also great.

End of post.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Really hope the new Pet Semetary is good, that old one does not hold up outside of Fred Gwynn's amazing accent

Ayup.

edited March 2019
    when the baby comes back as murder baby is pretty good

also fuckin' seriously, stop burying things there

Really gotta question why he even brought back the cat.
    I mean fucking put some cops on that road if speeding is such a problem! Bringing back the cat is not a solution!

King Riptor on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Ugh damnit blurgh.

Just had my first episode of sleep paralysis since becoming single again. Was super confused for a bit as to why nobody was shaking me out of it.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Psssh that's a patronus

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I'm imagining some aliens attempting to abduct a reindeer for study but, like, they're B-team and aren't great with the equipement.

"No GlifgphGor'P you need to expand the beam you're just getting the antlers!"

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    so we're just going to ignore that its a triclops...

Reindeer are weird

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    they can fly, that's pretty fucked up

only rudolphus arcticalis, the smallest variety, also called the tiny reindeer.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

That'd be kinda shit, you'd need to track them down each year to re-apply it. Must make finding shed ones easy, just bring a flashlight and shine it into the forest at night, look for the glowing stuff.

Tell you what though, antlers are already a freaking body horror experience.
    Part of the year they're fully fleshed organs, with blood vessels and everything, kinda spongy with a soft velvety fur-like outer covering ("deer velvet"). Then partway through the year it starts to calcify and the outer layer of soft velvety flesh sloughs off in bloody dripping ribbons. Then after winter they break them off and the bloody stumps begin growing a new set of organs.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    jgeis wrote: »

That'd be kinda shit, you'd need to track them down each year to re-apply it. Must make finding shed ones easy, just bring a flashlight and shine it into the forest at night, look for the glowing stuff.

Tell you what though, antlers are already a freaking body horror experience.
    Part of the year they're fully fleshed organs, with blood vessels and everything, kinda spongy with a soft velvety fur-like outer covering ("deer velvet"). Then partway through the year it starts to calcify and the outer layer of soft velvety flesh sloughs off in bloody dripping ribbons. Then after winter they break them off and the bloody stumps begin growing a new set of organs.

All so they can headbutt each other with them while fighting over a girl.

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

For those who don't know, SlimySwampGhost does a lot of spooky photos on Twitter.

Dr. Bright has volunteered for sheering duty as long as his chainsaw rights has been reinstated. The O-5 council is conflicted.