As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PAX East 2019 Challenge Coin] Batch 2 shipping estimated: 4/29/2019

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Using this as the "OP" to keep everyone updated on the coins:

UPDATE
    2019-03-23 wrote:
    Still taking orders for batch 2 which will be made and shipped after PAX East. Orders will be closed after April 5.
    2019-03-20 wrote:
    Batch 1 has shipped! You should get your coins in time for PAX! Woohoo! Kiddercorp really went above and beyond this year to get this done quickly for us, so please, if you want to drop them a note of thanks that would be awesome. Be sure to show off your coins and let's see how many we can get ordered!

There are still about 25 unpainted metal coins remaining of batch 1, if you want to try and get them before PAX.
    We are still taking orders for batch 2, which I'll keep open until the week after PAX for additional orders.

Order form is now available! Please follow the steps below to order your PAX East 2019 Challenge Coins:
    1: Use the Cost Calculator to get a total cost for the number of coins you would like to order. Please note US and International shipping costs are different.

2: Please send the total amount to KidderCorp (marty@kccoin.com) using PayPal.
    2b: Copy the transaction ID from your payment confirmation. This should be a ~17 character alphanumeric string.

3: Fill out this Order Form completely. Some of this will seem redundant from PayPal, but we ask to ensure all information is correct and payments are received before sending out the coins.

I do not have a delivery date at this time. I do not know if they will arrive before PAX. Please don't have them shipped to your hotel or other temporary address.

Production Artwork
    Feb 25: Updated Production Artwork
    New production artwork is in! Unless there's something glaring, I'm going to submit it tomorrow morning. Comment ASAP if you have feedback!

Ty2wrSsl.jpg

Feb 20: Response to Production Artwork
    Ok, wanted to make sure they got feedback quickly and we can make additional requests if necessary, but this is what I sent back in regards to the production artwork:
    oYpgTESl.jpg

Feb 19: Production Artwork!
    Definitely a few changes to be made, but so far pretty good!

VsynSBhl.jpg

Edit: Immediate things that stand out:
    I wanted just the statue to stand out against the building, but what do you think of their idea to highlight the whole thing? I was thinking of asking them to change it to just the statue.

The Asteroids part on the painted coin is just going to be printed on, no texture at all. I don't really care for that look (it was used before when dice were on the back) but want your input. Thoughts?

Ms Pacman's bow is currently the same color as the ring. Want to try and get it the brighter red.

For the unpainted coin, do you want the bronze highlight or don't do that at all to keep it one color?

Old info:
    Feb 15: Design received and draft being created by KidderCorp

Feb 14: Submitted design to KidderCorp
    Ok, good enough for me! I'm submitting the following to Kiddercorp. Please double check my spelling, the dates, and anything else I may have missed. We'll double check it again once I get the artist's proofs back.

7D3tMYVl.jpg

Old post
    Pure red
    vsrmjxNl.jpg

25% darker red
    HvLq1BGl.jpg

Though since the coin is usually antique silver, the red may be darker than pictured anyway, so we may not want it to be too dark. The pure red is about the same as used for the bow, and brighter than the red used on the web for PAX East signage, just fyi.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    For the Asteroids side, is there anyway to enlarge the asteroid letters a little and maybe space them out a little more? The lower right quater of the picture just seems a little empty.

jdixon1972 wrote: »
    For the Asteroids side, is there anyway to enlarge the asteroid letters a little and maybe space them out a little more? The lower right quater of the picture just seems a little empty.

@Solanales do you have the original still?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

@Solanales do you have the original still?

I do. It's attached. I'd be happy to modify it but I'm on vacation this whole week so it wouldn't be until I get back on the 18th.

P0P7S6y.png
  • MephistoN7MephistoN7 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Keene, NHRegistered User regular

Just a suggestion. What if we moved everything down/right and added the score/remaining ships in the top left? Then we can include 2019 as the score and make the image feel full.

erdub14zr3u2.png

• miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    Regardless of the edits and final product I love how this is coming out and just wanted to thank everyone putting in the work for their time and energy in making this happen. It's looking rad and this is starting to get me back into that PAX Spirit that I feel is mostly missing this year.

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
  • DrewsGFXDrewsGFX Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Don't have to use this exact edit but changed it up a bit so it fills a bit more of the circle and perhaps simplified things.

2hy6a6sa9n1i.png

3iowuo65k5xx.png

DrewsGFX on
  • ScoJoMoScoJoMo Registered User regular
    Dig it! And with the thin yellow border around the bow, you can still see it. Thanks for putting all this together, guys. I just hope everything is OK with @SutibunRi, that guy went above and beyond for me last year.

• MephistoN7MephistoN7 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Keene, NHRegistered User regular
    The darker red definitely adds a perfect contrast to the bow even with the yellow outline, so I'm digging it!

erdub14zr3u2.png

Ok, I took your ideas, and your votes for which Landmark picture you liked best, and came up with this.
    I thickened the lines for the asteroids image, and I have an idea on how to ask them to make it so it looks good in both painted and unpainted coins. If they recess the lines into the coin face, so they're trenches instead of raised walls, they should be able to fill them with paint. Then maybe they could spot black onto the metal around it, or if that's not possible, just slightly recess it? Or would you guys rather just have it be left plain metal instead of black? I dunno, once I start talking with KidderCorp I can get some solid answers.
    I'm also thinking of asking them to highlight the statue in antique bronze to have it stand out against the building and rest of the coin which is antique silver. Should be similar to how the t-rex was done in gold.

So let me know, how does it look? If you guys like it, I can go ahead and contact KidderCorp. If you have suggestions, please let me know.
    hRRFs4Kl.jpg
    PDSZO60l.jpg
    MephistoN7 wrote: »
    The darker red definitely adds a perfect contrast to the bow even with the yellow outline, so I'm digging it!

Please note the outline of the bow will be in antique silver metal. The yellow is just a glitch of my fill tool. All painted areas have a small metal outline to hold the paint. You can see it on pictures from last year's coin.
    tysp38dnh12o.png

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • std73std73 Extra Life Guild President Weymouth, MARegistered User regular
    I like it. Great job!
    I'm good with it like this.

PAX-signature-20.png
    Definitely like the realignment of the letters on the front. Looks great to me.

• iltailta Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    This is really great! If i had one quibble, it's that the A asteroid's point seems a hair too close to the edge of the coin. If you could move it back just a bit, while leaving the other parts of the image more or less in place, that would be great. Or even better, I prefer Drew's modified single-X version. But it's not a big deal and mostly I'd just like us to move forward with this as quickly as possible!

Since someone asked, I happen to be rooming with @SutibunRi (I often do) and he's going through some life stuff right now. I'm sure when his head emerges above water he'll be happy to see the community picked this up and ran with it.

ilta on
  • XenigmaXenigma Registered User regular
    I'll go ahead and throw in my support for the two-X version as that really sells the Asteroids concept. Ensuring there's enough of a gap between the border and the images is fine, but otherwise I really like @ArcSyn 's latest proposal. Just hope it still comes in a colorless version!

Pins? Pins!
    PAX East Attendee since 2011
    ilta wrote: »
    This is really great! If i had one quibble, it's that the A asteroid's point seems a hair too close to the edge of the coin. If you could move it back just a bit, while leaving the other parts of the image more or less in place, that would be great. Or even better, I prefer Drew's modified single-X version. But it's not a big deal and mostly I'd just like us to move forward with this as quickly as possible!

Since someone asked, I happen to be rooming with @SutibunRi (I often do) and he's going through some life stuff right now. I'm sure when his head emerges above water he'll be happy to see the community picked this up and ran with it.

Thank you, @ilta. I hope that the water he's in isn't too deep.

edited February 2019
    zNMTMhHl.jpg

Adjusted the "A" asteroid.

The double "X" is part of the homage to asteroids, as it's slightly smaller (signifying the split asteroids from shooting the big ones) and split in two, just as would happen in the game.

If we wanted it to be as large as the "P" and "A" I would say to take out the shooting action part of it, otherwise it wouldn't make as much sense.

edit: Would this be better? More balanced around the space, rather than crowded in the middle and not as much at the bottom?
    8uPNnvXl.jpg

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Man, I really love the redesign!!!! You've done really great work. The only other thing i could possibly think of was in the color version, having the P, A, and the XX's be white as well. Since Asteriods was originally white vector, maybe it would potray the game better? I don't know, and it's just a suggestion. I'll take it either way. I'm just glad you took the initiative to do all this!

If we made them all just unpainted metal ("white", but more grey), and just painted the black, it would make it easier for the manufacturing process. Not sure if it would look better though.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • imPokerFaceimPokerFace Registered User regular
    zNMTMhHl.jpg

Adjusted the "A" asteroid.

The double "X" is part of the homage to asteroids, as it's slightly smaller (signifying the split asteroids from shooting the big ones) and split in two, just as would happen in the game.

If we wanted it to be as large as the "P" and "A" I would say to take out the shooting action part of it, otherwise it wouldn't make as much sense.

edit: Would this be better? More balanced around the space, rather than crowded in the middle and not as much at the bottom?
    8uPNnvXl.jpg

I kinda think the P should be bigger. Second image is better, but I feel like there shouldn't be as much blank space as there is.

• zRychzRych Registered User regular
    Definitely the second image. I feel like it uses the space better

Second Image.

PAX-signature-20.png
    I say second image, as well.

edited February 2019
    Ok, I made these just from some recent comments.

Enlarged "P" shape
    pMOYnRQl.jpg

White "asteroids" letters
    MMDprN8l.jpg

Raised metal letters instead of painting them, only painting the background black
    b8HWti8l.jpg

Thoughts?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Definitely the enlarged "P." Kinda torn between the red PAX colored letters and the white homage to the game letters. I'd be happy with either one though.

I like the first, red letters, white ship.

PAX-signature-20.png
  • Streetlight345Streetlight345 Seekonk, MARegistered User regular
    I like the red letters better. Makes it feel more like a PAX East coin to me using red.

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
    Badges [X] Hotel [X] Time off request [X]
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Streetlight345
  • videohead118videohead118 Buffalo,NYRegistered User regular
    +1 for the red letters.

fi7sb7594b2d.png
    Ok, good enough for me! I'm submitting the following to Kiddercorp. Please double check my spelling, the dates, and anything else I may have missed. We'll double check it again once I get the artist's proofs back.

7D3tMYVl.jpg

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Looks good to me.

PAX-signature-20.png
  • Arithon32Arithon32 Member of the Pinquisition Registered User regular
    Looks awesome!

vru37z14gk5j.png

• XenigmaXenigma Registered User regular
    Looks great, well done @ArcSyn !

Pins? Pins!
    PAX East Attendee since 2011
  • eloelo That guy over there... Smoke stack central, NJRegistered User regular
    I'm a little late to the thread this year, but that design is looking killer! Awesome job on it everyone!

0j92muX.png
  • RyosukeRyosuke Registered User regular
    That actually looks really good. The larger P is a good choice to even out with A. The double X in that angle is better and the red letters does help so it stands out more for Pax East. More of a pop to it.

• SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    @ArcSyn (As well as everyone else who helped here) A big thanks for stepping in to get this done.

I want to say I am sorry for being absent this year... life just took control and honestly made me completely forget about this this year. Over the years I really enjoyed being a part of this yearly tradition and am bummed to not have been able to participate with this one.

Awesome work on the coins they look great and hopefully I can order a few this year like always.

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
    I love the bigger P in the design, though i'm probably in the minority, liking the white instead of the red. Irregardless of the the color, I think this is an awesome coin. I can't wait to get one!!!

• imPokerFaceimPokerFace Registered User regular

7D3tMYVl.jpg

looks fantastic! great job, thanks for doing this :D

• bigfearsbigfears Registered User regular
    looks great! can't wait to order a few!

I agree, this coin is awesome! Can't wait to put my order in!

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Thanks for putting this together. I haven't been as involved as previous years due to a massive re-org at work that has me on lockdown, but I'm loving what you have come up with and agree to all the joint decisions. Fantastic job!

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    edited February 2019
    Just got the production artwork!
    I'm on mobile right now, but I'll update my top of the page post with it soon.

I'm using this as the new "OP" so keep an eye here. I'll keep posting new as well.

Definitely a few changes to be made, but so far pretty good!

VsynSBhl.jpg

Edit: Immediate things that stand out:
    I wanted just the statue to stand out against the building, but what do you think of their idea to highlight the whole thing? I was thinking of asking them to change it to just the statue.

The Asteroids part on the painted coin is just going to be printed on, no texture at all. I don't really care for that look (it was used before when dice were on the back) but want your input. Thoughts?

Ms Pacman's bow is currently the same color as the ring. Want to try and get it the brighter red.

For the unpainted coin, do you want the bronze highlight or don't do that at all to keep it one color?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
This discussion has been closed.