As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resident Evil HD REmake and Resident Evil: Zero HD released, REmake 2 announced!

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Wyborn wrote: »
    If the molded were as threatening as the zombies in the RE2 Remake I don't know what the game would even look like, it would probably project an anti-life field that kills weaker players

I think they’re scary and threatening at first because you don’t know what you’re getting into. I definitely wasted too much ammo on them which lead to me being in serious trouble for the jack and marge bosses.

I remember scrounging every inch of that greenhouse desperately looting and combining to have anything to fight her with.

But on my recent repeat play through I think I just ran past every molded in the game but for like two or three that were literally blocking narrow hallways.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    If the molded were as threatening as the zombies in the RE2 Remake I don't know what the game would even look like, it would probably project an anti-life field that kills weaker players

I think they’re scary and threatening at first because you don’t know what you’re getting into. I definitely wasted too much ammo on them which lead to me being in serious trouble for the jack and marge bosses.

I remember scrounging every inch of that greenhouse desperately looting and combining to have anything to fight her with.

But on my recent repeat play through I think I just ran past every molded in the game but for like two or three that were literally blocking narrow hallways.

To me, that describes Capcom doing a really great job of capturing the feel of the original RE1/RE2 and translating it to a modern game FPS. First time through the game is always the slowest, the enemies are at their worst, and the player is trying to learn everything while also trying to not get eaten or brutally murdered. Then the game gets more about being fun and optimizing routes on later playthroughs, reaching a point where the challenges are actually from something other than just killing things.

That first experience is the most memorable, but it's also what lets the player enjoy repeat playthroughs even more because now you can look at something that was a real problem before and knock it flat without breaking stride.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    4 is genuinely scary because the plagas just keep getting worse as you go on. That drops off a bit but its always tense .

5 loses that. You never really feel outgunned and you're never alone . You get a satellite laser at one point. The monsters arent really all that creepy and Uroboros is just black rubber tubes
    Never played 6 because of 5 tbh

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Act 1 of RE4 would make a decent standard installment if it were dragged out to an entire game. The early scene where the entire village is after you is super tense, and gets even moreso once you grab the shotgun and the chainsaw guy starts up. You can fight back if you want, and barracade the house, but they literally never stop coming and are going to get in eventually. But once it's established that you're pretty much meant to kill everything in your way, it loses a lot of the survival horror feel.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I don't know that there's ever been a monster in any of these games scarier than the Regenerator in 4

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Fun discovery if you out of bounds Leon to the orphanage it will turn you into claire.
    It softlocks the game though.

Zunde on
  • Options
    I don't know that there's ever been a monster in any of these games scarier than the Regenerator in 4

The bag

• Options
    The sounds regenerators make hurt me

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I honestly don't remember the Regenerators in 4. Guess I need to replay that game now.

You know what Regenerator I do remember though? The one in Dead Space 2. Fricken jeez.

Why oh why hasn't EA capitalized on the recent success of Resident Evil to bring a Dead Space trilogy pack for modern consoles. I would gladly break my "No EA" rule to own all 3 of those games on my PS4.

• Options
    I loved dead space 1 and 2.

Dead space 3 was hella dumb though.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Dead Space 3 had a good story to tell but it suffered from too much EA in our EA title for its own good. Sort of fell victim to the same ACTION! fever that Resident Evil 4 and 5 did. It did have a good ending in that
    no, you cannot fight the unknowable eldritch thing from beyond the stars and yes, all of humanity dies.

Viskod on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I mean maybe don't open spoil the entire end of a trilogy

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    yeah I'm gonna leave that to the DS thread, but I'm glad I bought them on PC. They hold up nicely and I always go back to them every now and then.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I love how in RE7
    The Bakers are the zombies. And unlike basically every other RE with zombies, they are some of the most powerful enemies.
    It's a great change to the formula, and it struck me almost immediately with the dinner scene that they went that way with it.

Also, Carcinogen's RE7 run from AGDQ '18 is really entertaining.

Fawst on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I suppose that's true except...
    ...the Bakers are the overpowered 'uber' zombies that that are in every Resident Evil game, or at least every recent one.

Even how much they're "dead" so much as "infected" is up to a little debate.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yeah, the infection or whatever it was that was brought in with the ship that crashed in the Baker's backyard, that seems like something new.

You can basically break the RE series into what I'd call 3 threat phases.

Phase 1 is the T-Virus, G-Virus, and all other strains of virus that were created and experimented with at Umbrella.
    Phase 2 is the Las Plagas/Uroboros infection, which is actually much more sinister because they are parasites that inhabit their host, which makes them more like an animal than a virus.
    Phase 3 is what we see happening at the Baker residence. Phase 3 is ground zero for a new threat, and while a lot of it is still unknown, we know that the phase 3 threat allows a measure of sentience and awareness that the other two threats do not have. We also know that phase 3 includes some mega regenerative and restorative side effects not seen in the previous threats.

Basically, what I'm theorizing here is that we might be looking at a "trilogy of trilogies" where if they continue on this same basic formula and outline, 7, 8, and 9 would all be linked by whatever the thing is that caused the Baker family incident.

• Options
    I loved the prequel stories in 7. Seeing how the family changed as they got mooped was horrifying, it really had the personal element of things down.
    Like give me all the scary zombies you want, they're not as terrifying as your beloved father suddenly, without any provocation, deciding to drown your mother in the bathtub.

• Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Konjac and Uroi-Mochi beat, Flan is giving me trouble weirdly enough and I haven't tried the other Tofu yet except to get a feel for him
    This is late, but do you have any tips for Konjac? He's the last food I need to beat the game with and I'm getting absolutely wrecked. I use the flame thrower only in the double-ivy hallway. And headshotting a zombie with his grenade launcher usually results in me getting grabbed by a flaming zombie.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    I'll never not love the Bakers, because the pre-infection versions of them are effectively a set of my second cousins (though in a spectacularly nicer house of course)

They did really well at capturing that feeling of a small, close Louisiana family who live a bit away from folks

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    4 is genuinely scary because the plagas just keep getting worse as you go on. That drops off a bit but its always tense .

5 loses that. You never really feel outgunned and you're never alone . You get a satellite laser at one point. The monsters arent really all that creepy and Uroboros is just black rubber tubes
    Never played 6 because of 5 tbh

Yeah, it's easy to forget about 4 nowadays but the first time through there's a pretty much perfect progression of feeling outgunned and vulnerable, through to feeling confident and learning the tricks to taking things out easily, back to a new enemy type getting introduced that needs some new method of being handled. Regenerators are the one everyone remembers because they're the final and scariest "upgrade" that the bad guys get.

It does a really good job of making you feel like a badass action hero while also being completely out of your depth.

• Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Konjac and Uroi-Mochi beat, Flan is giving me trouble weirdly enough and I haven't tried the other Tofu yet except to get a feel for him
    This is late, but do you have any tips for Konjac? He's the last food I need to beat the game with and I'm getting absolutely wrecked. I use the flame thrower only in the double-ivy hallway. And headshotting a zombie with his grenade launcher usually results in me getting grabbed by a flaming zombie.

Blasting a zombie in the face with a flame round opens up about a 1-second window to run past. Lob a grenade through the far door in the waiting room as soon as it opens to clear the entire hallway. Make sure you’ve got a few grenades left to tank your way through the courtyard. At this point, I assume you’re aware of what can and can’t be avoided?

• Options
    I'll never not love the Bakers, because the pre-infection versions of them are effectively a set of my second cousins (though in a spectacularly nicer house of course)

They did really well at capturing that feeling of a small, close Louisiana family who live a bit away from folks

I appreciated the fact that they weren't just crazy rednecks, before the change they were a loving, flawed, realistic feeling family who bickered but loved each other.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I honestly don't remember the Regenerators in 4. Guess I need to replay that game now.

You know what Regenerator I do remember though? The one in Dead Space 2. Fricken jeez.

Why oh why hasn't EA capitalized on the recent success of Resident Evil to bring a Dead Space trilogy pack for modern consoles. I would gladly break my "No EA" rule to own all 3 of those games on my PS4.

Pretty sure Dead Space is solidly on EA's permanent shit list for not selling 50 million copies on each installment and also the third game making it really really obvious that EA shit all over the Dead Space devs plus the gameplay design for the sake of pushing more microtransaction shit on people.

Not to mention they gutted the studio that made the games, so good luck getting the people back together to even remaster the games for modern consoles.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »

I appreciated the fact that they weren't just crazy rednecks, before the change they were a loving, flawed, realistic feeling family who bickered but loved each other.

I should look into those I guess. The only hint of normal I ever saw was the scene Ethan has with Jacks consciousness inside of that moldy collective unconscious.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Yeah, finding out about what the Bakers were like before all the shit went down is part of why I really appreciate the horror angle of RE7.
    The whole situation happens because the family tried to help somebody after a storm, and ends up driven insane by the all-consuming immortal horror that makes them suffer endlessly but won't let them die.

Coming across all the little bits and pieces of their "normal" existence before the infection is great, too.

It's also pretty much the first time in a RE game where the crazy puzzles and locks and keys actually get a proper explanation, and the explanation squarely fits into the story and setting.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Where is all of this stuff and why isn't it findable in the actual game? The most I saw were a couple of documents they wrote before they went moldy woldy.

Viskod on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Where is all of this stuff and why isn't it findable in the actual game?

DLC.

• Options

It's a DLC, maybe one of the free ones? I'm not sure. You play Zoe and it starts during the storm before the events of the game.
    Like I said, they aren't perfect, there are notes that suggest Jack may have hit his kids before, and Lucas was always a prick, but they genuinely seem to be good people at heart. As mentioned above, Jack was out in the storm looking for people to help.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Yeah, uhhh... about the Bakers (or a Baker)...
    Lucas straight-up murders another kid by letting him starve to death in his attic.
    Not quite the "normal" family. I was slightly annoyed by that aspect, really.

Also, do they ever go into (re: Lucas)
    who "cured" Lucas of the mental connection with Evie? It seems like that would have been Umbrella, but it was kind of tough to follow reading his email in the lab at the end. The implication was that he wasn't under her control, he was still infected by the mold, and Evie thought she "had him" because he was still bringing in new "family" for her. That's a pretty fucked up implication. So the Bakers were under surveillance, willfully on the part of Lucas?

I definitely need to do another run of that game, but it's gonna hold off until I beat RE2.

Fawst on
  • Options
    The thing about Lucas is I'm pretty sure it's implied that the
    virus didn't change him mentally at all. He was already like that.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Just finished my S+ attempt with a time of 2:30:14.

Woof. That hurts.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    surely you have a recent save you can go back to?

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I saved at the start of NEST, yeah. Gotta do the whole last bit in one go. Anyone got advice for killing G4 expediently? I had assumed acid/fire grenades would be good, but they didn't seem to help that much?

Oh brilliant
  • Options

It's a DLC, maybe one of the free ones? I'm not sure. You play Zoe and it starts during the storm before the events of the game.
    Like I said, they aren't perfect, there are notes that suggest Jack may have hit his kids before, and Lucas was always a prick, but they genuinely seem to be good people at heart. As mentioned above, Jack was out in the storm looking for people to help.
    Truth be told, corporal punishment right up to the edge of adulthood is so common where I'm from that I didn't think much of it until I went back and looked at it twice. Then my response was something like, "Huh, people with a different upbringing are going to have a very different reaction to this"

Though if Jack hit his kids I might just be forgetting

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I saved at the start of NEST, yeah. Gotta do the whole last bit in one go. Anyone got advice for killing G4 expediently? I had assumed acid/fire grenades would be good, but they didn't seem to help that much?

Ditch the grenade launcher. G4 doesn't have normal Hit Points like everything else. All damage is based on the number of eyes you pop. Use the Minigun, the SMG, and Grenades. If you have any Grenades they will pop all of his current eyes at once. Don't shoot him in back or the sides. Only shoot him to pop eyes. Once you pop all of his eyes about 6 times, the fight is over.

Viskod on
  • Options
    I was messing around with out of bounds.

If you jump from the library to the orphanage as claire and then go back to the police station you need to be super careful or you'll soft lock yourself.

• Options
    Zunde wrote: »
    I was messing around with out of bounds.

If you jump from the library to the orphanage as claire and then go back to the police station you need to be super careful or you'll soft lock yourself.

What specifically?

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Doors not working and specific pathways back being blocked off. (The goddess statue pathway closed after i left it)

Zunde on
  • Options
    Zunde wrote: »
    Doors not working and specific pathways back being blocked off. (The goddess statue pathway closed after i left it)

Well the statue is supposed to close. Other wise that seems problematic yeah.

• Options

Truth be told, corporal punishment right up to the edge of adulthood is so common where I'm from that I didn't think much of it until I went back and looked at it twice. Then my response was something like, "Huh, people with a different upbringing are going to have a very different reaction to this"

Though if Jack hit his kids I might just be forgetting

I can't remember the specifics, but I remember it as being... in line with cultural expectations.

This discussion has been closed.