As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Well one things for sure, I will never for the rest of my life forget that TCP numbers and organizes packets so if there is loss it can call that numbered packed back, and UDP does not, so packet loss is to be expected but its faster and has more throughput.

Also that ping doesn't use a port because its ICMP.

I feel very dumb right now

Eh, don't sweat it. Every interview you learn something from is a victory. I've had plenty of "oh my god, perfect opportunity" interviews that I've beefed one way or another and it's so far failed to ruin my life.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Finished the phone interview. Only took about ten minutes. Wasn't much of a interview. Just asked how good I am with Microsoft office programs, if the work location works, desired pay, start date, and preferred shift times.

I think it went well. Hard to really tell with how the conversation went. I do think he gave me the wrong address for the work location though. He said the city was Tempe but the address is for their downtown Phoenix location.

I'd be really down for working the downtown Phoenix location.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm chalking it up to a learning experience. Best cast if I did whiff it, and they promote someone from IT to it, I'm going to try and get into IT. The pay is about what I already make and that way when I try for a similar position down the line after school is over I have an IT position to fall back on.

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    The worst part about job hunting (for me right now) is waiting for the postings to close so I might actually hear something back from the resumes and cover letters I've submitted.

I'm absolutely full of free time here to scour the posting sites and jump on the attractive/interesting ones as soon as they're up, basically, and then have to remind myself that I haven't heard anything back from that company from Friday because their posting won't close until the end of this week.

:(

• Options
    I hate job hunting so much.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    The worst interview question I messed up was converting from % to ppm. It's a very easy conversion factor (going from out of 100 to out of 1,000,000 is just adding some zeros) but I blanked on it. Didn't get the job, and I'm not sure if that was the reason, but..

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Kaplar wrote: »
    We're getting back less in taxes this year now that we're married. Sounds like bullshit to me.

I got a form in the mail that says one of my student loans has been forgiven, and was forgiven in march of last year. It has severely lowered the tax return Dream and I were expecting. It put us in the red for state taxes.

My student loan servicer has seemingly not charged me in any way differently this past year. Indicating that either that loan wasn't actually forgiven, or they have been charging me for a loan that no longer exists. I have some calls to make, and possibly an industry to just fuckin declare war on at this point.

Literally every time in my life that I think I'm about to get a leg up student loans pop up to fuck my entire life back into the ground.

Sleep on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm chalking it up to a learning experience. Best cast if I did whiff it, and they promote someone from IT to it, I'm going to try and get into IT. The pay is about what I already make and that way when I try for a similar position down the line after school is over I have an IT position to fall back on.

Shit I remember when I forgot how to write a dowhile loop in one interview. Don't sweat that stuff, people clam up under pressure like that constantly and it's much better to make a good impression than it is to wow them that you know the details about TCP and UDP that you'll probably double check on google anyways.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    The only reason the wife and I even got anything back this year is because of both being in Grad school.

Thanks Mr.President

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    We're getting back less in taxes this year now that we're married. Sounds like bullshit to me.

That's not new. I will always remember with great bitterness the moment my wife and I discovered what people call the "marriage tax". It's a real result of the tax bracket formulas. I don't think it's guaranteed that you end up paying more, but I think most(?) people do.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Working from home today.

I’m glad I have this opportunity.
    I’m glad that Mori’s mom (and Mori himself) took the kids over to their house

It’s not an ideal setup, kind of awkward, but I do have access to everything I need
    Feeling kind of bad because everyone else made it into work (including my assistant, although he already left), but they either have better cars or less snow than me

I’m also feeling the need to send out as many emails/texts as possible to ‘prove’ I am working, which is silly! I am working, plus I am salaried and no one’s watching me

• Options

That's not new. I will always remember with great bitterness the moment my wife and I discovered what people call the "marriage tax". It's a real result of the tax bracket formulas. I don't think it's guaranteed that you end up paying more, but I think most(?) people do.

We just had more tax to pay. Thankfully we were about 4k short from the next tax bracket

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Made it in to work today.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

We just had more tax to pay. Thankfully we were about 4k short from the next tax bracket

Umm, you are aware that brackets only affect income over that amount, right?

There are some actual cliffs with government benefit programs, but taxes themselves you never keep less money because you made more. (now, marraige can throw a wrench in things, but that's different)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The question I borked on my recent interview was how would you tell the difference between two otherwise identical spheres, except one is made from a denser material than the other. They are the same size, mass, shape, and appearance.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

I got a form in the mail that says one of my student loans has been forgiven, and was forgiven in march of last year. It has severely lowered the tax return Dream and I were expecting. It put us in the red for state taxes.

My student loan servicer has seemingly not charged me in any way differently this past year. Indicating that either that loan wasn't actually forgiven, or they have been charging me for a loan that no longer exists. I have some calls to make, and possibly an industry to just fuckin declare war on at this point.

Literally every time in my life that I think I'm about to get a leg up student loans pop up to fuck my entire life back into the ground.

I was all set to awesome this post when I started reading but oops, they somehow managed to turn loan forgiveness into a bad thing. Jesus Christ these people.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    The question I borked on my recent interview was how would you tell the difference between two otherwise identical spheres, except one is made from a denser material than the other. They are the same size, mass, shape, and appearance.

Assuming that they're solid wouldn't two spheres of identical size and mass necessarily have the same density?

• Options
    I do think part of it is that this is the first interview I've ever had like that, where I got asked like quiz questions. The other is I spent time researching higher level stuff, going over risk management and how to react to certain types of cyber attacks and how to run and work with certain programs. I even looked up some stuff that people on Reddit said they were asked in similar interviews. This was not nearly that advance.

@Dynagrip what was the answer? I assume water displacement isn't it because thats sort of not practical right?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I think that's your answer - knock on both and see which one is hollow.

• Options

Is the trick here that the spheres are not uniform internally? Like, one is hollow? So, cut it open? Or do some fancy imaging?

• Options
    edited February 2019

I was all set to awesome this post when I started reading but oops, they somehow managed to turn loan forgiveness into a bad thing. Jesus Christ these people.

Oh that's always the best part. Any means by which to be absolved of student loan debt counts as income and is taxed as such. Essentially that form dumped about 20 grand on my income for the year. I'm just lucky I always pay as much taxes as I can just for such an occasion.

Student loans are an inescapable plague.

Sleep on
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I think that's your answer - knock on both and see which one is hollow.

wee bey dot gif

There's a reason I'm not an engineer.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2019
    One would be hollow, the other of uniform mass distribution.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

...this is a trick question, right?

edit: beat'd

Calica on
  • Options
    The answer they were looking for was to put them on a ramp, and the one that rolls down faster is the solid sphere due to the greater rotational inertia of the hollow sphere. My interviewer had said aluminum and steel were the materials so I immediately jumped on using a magnet to tell the two apart and got side tracked. But a magnet would work with a lot of different steels!

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular

So can I chalk this up to "Fuck Trump"?

• Options

Nope, fuck student loans, and every company that lives off of them. They, by their implementation are predatory. There's literally no way out of my hole that isn't painful. This is exactly how things would have played out before that farce of a tax bill. I actually have to be kinda thankful my return this year was looking to be more sizeable otherwise I'd owe the federal government a ton of money now.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Relevant tax bracket stuffs:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJhsjUPDulw

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    One would be hollow, the other of uniform mass distribution.

Hooray! I was partially correct on a tricky question in a field completely unrelated to my own!

Puzzles are fun. Just let me work on puzzles.

• Options
    The worst part is that my expected outcome here is that nothing about my student loans change moving forward, and I'm just out this tax return money for no reason and without recourse to fix the problem with that. Just a clerical error in everyone else's favor, and me without the funds to offer legal opposition.

• Options
    That whole situation sucks eggs Sleep, I'm sorry it went down like that.

• Options
    Eh that last one is hopefully just me being overly negative, but it's also the defense mechanism I've built for a reason.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Some time in the not too distant future there's going to be a mass default on student loans and the economy's going to crater in a way we haven't seen since 1930. I can feel it in my bones.

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    If some loans have been forgiven, doesn't this mean less of a monthly payment?

Or were you already on IBR and it still has you paying the max?

That's the part where someone fucked up.

My student loan changed servicers in april of last year, my payments never changed, just who was collecting them. The form I got says my loan was discharged in march.

So either it was a loan i never knew about, never paid, and never had fuck up my credit, or the last servicer both discharged it and sent it to the new servicer as an active loan. So the three possibilities are:

the tax form is erroneous none of my loans have actually been discharged and nothing about my situation has been changed.

The tax form is correct and my student loan servicer has been charging me erroneously for almost a year for a loan that didn't actually exist.

The tax form represents a loan I never knew about that's just coming out of nowhere to totally fuck me cause the universe likes to fuck with me in new and unexpected ways (long story short in college my dad told me he'd take care of all the loans and stuff and I just had to worry about passing, what he meant by take care of the loans was not telling me about all the past due notices coming for me from all the loans he set up).

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Some time in the not too distant future there's going to be a mass default on student loans and the economy's going to crater in a way we haven't seen since 1930. I can feel it in my bones.

If I could organize all folks currently repaying student loans to just stop this month I would.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular

Nope, fuck student loans, and every company that lives off of them. They, by their implementation are predatory. There's literally no way out of my hole that isn't painful. This is exactly how things would have played out before that farce of a tax bill. I actually have to be kinda thankful my return this year was looking to be more sizeable otherwise I'd owe the federal government a ton of money now.

I meant can I use it for my situation specifically.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I was having a shitty day at work today but came back from lunch to find that the obnoxiously loud co-worker who I, and another co-worker, reported last week for racist comments got her ass fired while I was eating so that put some pep in my step

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Well they told me the decision shouldn't take long, but I haven't head anything either way yet. Which I guess is a good thing, since I didn't receive an auto "No thanks".

Now I get to worry for awhile!

• Options

I meant can I use it for my situation specifically.

Ah sorry no just meant be commiserating over tax returns ending up less than expected really. Frickin blows when your return is way less than expected. Especially when it seems like the cause might be bullshit.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    My work intersects with hardware often, and so there are meetings were either I or someone else has to talk about some of the surface mount parts that have ball-grid array connectors.

I’m way past the age where I shouldn’t giggle/snicker when someone says “ball-to-ball short”, and yet...

This discussion has been closed.