As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Gritty [NHL] Thread - The Blues Kinda Forgot They Were Dead Last in January...

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »
    I opted to buy in to the reduced price NHL TV subscription just to watch the Leafs, and just in time for this Leafs / Habs game. Honestly, worth it just to have the CBC feed...

Oooh thanks for the reminder on that, it's down to $40 for the remainder of the year ($32 for one team)!

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Weird hockey trivia of the day: What famous pop singer was the first person hit by a puck in the Panthers' arena in Sunrise, Florida?
    hint: they were five years old, and had been hit by a puck the year before in the team's old Miami arena.
    Dy_NzlQVYAA67Tp.jpg:large

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Weird hockey trivia of the day: What famous pop singer was the first person hit by a puck in the Panthers' arena in Sunrise, Florida?
    hint: they were five years old, and had been hit by a puck the year before in the team's old Miami arena.
    Dy_NzlQVYAA67Tp.jpg:large

Ariana Grande!

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I had to read that twice, because my first thought was, "The Florida Panthers have been around long enough for kids at their games to have grown up and become pop stars?" And then I looked it up and saw they've been around since '93?

What the fuck?

I am the old now.

Jesus fucking Christ.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I had to read that twice, because my first thought was, "The Florida Panthers have been around long enough for kids at their games to have grown up and become pop stars?" And then I looked it up and saw they've been around since '93?

What the fuck?

I am the old now.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Here's your onion.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Oh dang, I didn't know the Panthers were older than me.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

god damn it

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

I don't believe you. Don't you have to be at least 13 to use the forums?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    It only gets worse. I graduated college in Jan 2002. Some kids starting college this coming Fall were born the year I graduated.

/drink

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    It only gets worse. I graduated college in Jan 2002. Some kids starting college this coming Fall were born the year I graduated.

/drink

What are you talking about, youngster?

I graduated '97.

• Options
    Also, off my lawn with you!

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Schide wrote: »

When people start learning about advanced stats, a common thing they’ll want to learn is what players are actually better than most people realize, and which players are secretly terrible.

Jack Johnson has been the go-to example of the latter for years, to the point that stats twitter were flabbergasted when Pittsburgh gave him 5 years at 3.25mil (that’s right, 4 more seasons of this and he is on the wrong side of the aging curve)

An example of a player that advanced stats say is actually better than he’s often given credit for?

Jake Muzzin :cool:

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I watched the actual video like three times and this gif a dozen more, and I still don't know where the puck went and how it appeared out of thin air on Crosby's stick.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    It fell. Crosby's body is blocking most of it, but you can see the blur right before he grabs it.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    My guess would be it fell off the netting and the officials missed it, just with how it lands.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    The Canucks have goalie prospect Mike DiPietro up from the OHL on an emergency call-up and are playing like dogshit in front of him.

I love that our defence is giving him his second soul-crushing loss in Rogers Arena this year after the World Juniors.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    The Canucks have goalie prospect Mike DiPietro up from the OHL on an emergency call-up and are playing like dogshit in front of him.

I love that our defence is giving him his second soul-crushing loss in Rogers Arena this year after the World Juniors.

I mean, the Canucks defence is bad in general, aside from Tanev, and they're up against one of the top offensive teams in the league. It was always going to go this way.

The bigger question is what the hell is Benning doing? I know Markstrom and Demko are both hurt, but they had DiPietro as backup since the 5th, that is plenty of time to find any alternative to throwing a promising young prospect to the sharks years before he's likely to be ready. AHL teams exist for this very reason!

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    the move came... a day late. they just picked up mazanec

they were burnt on the mckenna trade and benning was probably trying to save face and not look like he was frittering away resources: classic sunk cost fallacy, really

i don't think the d was especially bad in front of him; it's been bad whenever it's not 100% healthy this year. the green goalie just exposed it. markstrom has been hot fire. i really think it needs addressing: pouliot's redemption song ain't getting sung, and the press box has not been kind to biega's hustle

edit: oh, further to the mckenna thing: i read somewhere that mckenna's only in the A on a conditioning stint, and in like 4 days he'll need to be waived again. at which point benning can reclaim him. i suppose he assumed he could ride markstrom that far

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    That’s assuming the 10-11 teams ahead of the Canucks in waiver priority don’t claim him first

• Options
    That’s assuming the 10-11 teams ahead of the Canucks in waiver priority don’t claim him first

As an NHL Twitter follower, about 75% of the people worth claiming off waivers do not get claimed.

And about 25% of the people on waivers are worth of getting claimed.

So, in my opinion, it's a solid bet

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Every once in awhile, my twitter feed will have Gritty RTing the Flyers official axcount and I’ll wonder for just a split-second why Gritty cares about some random hockey game

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So recently the Hurricanes have taken to having some elaborate victory celebrations at home. One among them being playing Duck, Duck, Goose at center ice. Apparently Don Cherry doesn’t like it, and called the team “a bunch of jerks”. The Hurricanes have responded....

Jayricho on
  • Options
    Cherry is ridiculous. I can't wait until people stop asking his opinion about, well, everything.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I do find it silly but you know what? The league could use some silliness.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
  • Options
    Deadfall wrote: »
    I do find it silly but you know what? The league could use some silliness.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Credit to the Hurricanes, who are taking their moment of national relevance and running with it:

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I just hope they can be be good sports if/when they make it to the playoffs this year and then lose a series at home and their opponents do the duck duck goose celebration on their turf.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Sasha Barkov might be in the running with Mark Stone for best player that too many people are sleeping on

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Fuck it. The NFL and MLB don't get to be the only leagues that get to celebrate stupidly without people having a coronary.

I'm now a Hurricanes, uh, sympathizer.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Sasha Barkov might be in the running with Mark Stone for best player that too many people are sleeping on.
    People are sleeping on Mark Stone?

Jayricho on
  • Options
    I feel like they are, if only because he’s super good defensively, which doesn’t show up in counting stats the way all-offence, mediocre defense star forwards do

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Chicago and Ottawa combined to score 15 goals in a single hockey game. 9 in the first period alone! Because, sure, why not?

• Options
    From Twitter this morning:

Nikita kucherov has 18 points in his last 5 games. Those five games alone would be enough to put him in 6th for team scoring if he played for the oilers.

• Options
    That’s absolutely ridiculous. Lightning are lucky they got him in at $9.5M when they did.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Five points alone last night!

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Jayricho wrote: »
    That’s absolutely ridiculous. Lightning are lucky they got him in at $9.5M when they did.

Leafs are lucky too, because they can point to him and laugh if Marner asks for 10+ this offseason

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Kuch is awesome.

On the 1st I take my daughter to Amalie Arena to skate with Thunderbug. Then Saturday the 2nd we get to see them play Ottawa. And the best part for daddy? We get a meet and greet with the players. All for $75 Kids Club membership. She already got a ton of swag and a signed mini stick from Point.

p.s. she’s only 3.5 but loves cheering for the Lightning.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    That's awesome. I'm hoping that this summer once classes are over I can go back to florida to visit family and sneak off to go see a playoff game. They were on a roadtrip when I was down for christmas so I haven't had a chance to go to a game this season.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
This discussion has been closed.