As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Also when your character exclaims "I am the kill leader!"

That's so dope

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Apex Legends has crossed 25 million unique players, and over 2 million concurrent in the first week of release. That is nuts.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
    Their marketing has been really good. Day it dropped, everyone everywhere was talking about it, and in a way that got me excited. And it was free, so I could just... GO, no thinking you know? Why not.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    My favourite is getting matched up with 2 guys with like 40 kills and I have 2 so far.
    im-helping-35445714.png

I think my 2nd or 3rd game i was matched with two 50+ kill people and I was like "well......shit. Sorry in advance."

At one point early on one of them went down and i revived them exclaiming "i'm the only one on this team who's allowed to be useless."

Got a pretty good chuckle out of them and i think we finished in the top 10 or something.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    GlyphGryph wrote: »
    Their marketing has been really good. Day it dropped, everyone everywhere was talking about it, and in a way that got me excited. And it was free, so I could just... GO, no thinking you know? Why not.

i saw it trending on Twitch & Twitter and thought 'sure'......

BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Dammit, I'm starting to get tired of being paired up with a pair of random jackasses that just plow straight on in one direction without pinging me that that's what they're doing. I just got killed by a squad because I had no clue my other two squadmates decided to run off when I wasn't looking. Yeah, part of it is on me for not paying more attention to them but for Pete's sake, one of them actually ran away from me earlier when I was dropping a heal drone for her, wasting my ability's use there.

I find myself in that position a lot too, where I wasn't finished scavenging yet before I realize that my teammates already took off somewhere and got into a firefight. But I do think that's my mistake in not watching them on the map. Even if what they're doing isn't perfect, it's better to stick with them and give up a little loot than it is to be split up for a long time.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Damn, some people play this game on a whole other level. I've won matches where the whole squad only got five kills.
    62qwY8E.png

That was also the last win I needed for the "win as each legend" achievement!

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Just had my first proper win where I feel like I helped and didn't just luck in to it.

I jumped us in to the high tier loot zone. We barely survived and I had to be brought back via a rez station.

I proceed to run around with a pistol for the next few minutes until we ambushed another squad, at which point I switched to fully kitted SMG and sniper rifle.

I came across the threat detector for the sniper rifle which oh my god that is useful. But then our other team mate was killed.

We rez him just before the final round so he's running around with whatever he can scrape together from some shacks. We proceed to get in a long range shootout with the last squad, but my rifle easily tracks them putting them at a disadvantage when they leave cover.

We finish by just crashing in to each other after we've plinked at them for the last couple minutes. I had about ten rounds left. It was fun.

• Options
    I still haven't won. I am bad at Apex and/or I have bad luck with teams.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I wish that my usual group of friends would log on already to play this with me so that we'd have a synchronized team. I'll be fortifying a defensive position in one of the last circles as caustic, and then my pubbie allies decide to abandon the high ground to go wander around in open. Just FML.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »

I've only had two wins because I'm awful at FPS games. For some reason this game is still even super fun to lose, IMO. It's weird.

My super competitive friends, though, have expressed slightly (not really slightly) less enthusiasm for any non-wins.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options

It was mentioned earlier but I think aiming for the high tier loot at the start is the best strategy. Either you win the skirmish and walk out with excellent loot or you die quick and start over.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So, if you've noticed a bit of performance drop in your game and you're running Win 10 1809 (October update, as it were) then go turn off Game Mode that MS "helpfully" turned on for you.

It resolved a lot of the stuttering I was having.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Edit: This is definitely not chat.

Incidentally, watching Shroud play this game sometimes is surreal.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

It was mentioned earlier but I think aiming for the high tier loot at the start is the best strategy. Either you win the skirmish and walk out with excellent loot or you die quick and start over.

Depends on how you define best. Churning games until you get a win? Yes. Winning a specific match in particular? Not so much. I normally don't pay any attention to twitch or esports, but what little I've seen of arranged tournaments where a prize for a particular match is on the line generally results in the teams taking minimal unnecessary risks.

When I'm playing serious, I'm very much a sneaky stab them in the back kind of guy. That said, frequently dropping hot does get you a lot more experience with gunplay which will help you out in your sneaky games. All the loot in the world won't help you if you're inexperienced at the shooty bit.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I've thought about unlocking

How do you know where the high tier loot areas are? I jumped in a circle I thought I was high tier loot, found nothing, and died in a fist fight.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Weird that Fortnite never had a big population here but Apex seems to be catching on

616610-1.png
  • Options
    RickRude wrote: »

How do you know where the high tier loot areas are? I jumped in a circle I thought I was high tier loot, found nothing, and died in a fist fight.

If you pull up the map while flying in there will be a blue circle.

• Options
    GardhausGardhaus Registered User regular
    I'm online if anyone wants to jam. Gardhaus88 on Origin

PSN: Gardhaus Steam: Gardhaus88 aka SsgtFuzzyNipples BattleNet: Gardhaus#1659
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular

http://apexlegendsmap.net/

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    The blue circle is a sign a loot pod will be landing there soon. Whether naturally on the map or from the ultimate ability.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Weird that Fortnite never had a big population here but Apex seems to be catching on

I dunno never found it fun. The base building was just kinda stupid to me

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    The building aspect of Fortnite was a super turnoff to me. I like the less serious aesthetic and tone but know the building stuff would frustrate be endlessly.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    This game is free.

SO FREE.

How many dollars have you spent on it?

$15.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Cruor wrote: »
    The building aspect of Fortnite was a super turnoff to me. I like the less serious aesthetic and tone but know the building stuff would frustrate be endlessly.

It felt out of place, which it was, because it was a leftover from the original design of Fortnite that has since become the redheaded stepchild to the battle royale favorite. Partially because they still charge money to play it last I checked. I was actually interested in the PvE co-op that Fortnite was originally announced as, but the battle royale didn't click for me. Then the BR took over and I knew the PvE updates were going to be few and far between so I never bothered.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Still getting the hang of this game. Even at 100 FOV, I feel like it's a bit tight camera-wise. That said, are y'all ADSing in close combat fights (on PC)? I feel like there's a lot more close combat than I'm used to in pubg (though I haven't played that in awhile)

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

I dunno never found it fun. The base building was just kinda stupid to me

Base building is a decent concept but devolved into another kind of APM differentiation in Fortnite. And worse, it wasn't interesting differentiation. You get better value by building faster. The vast majority of the time you want to build upwards. So playing Fortnite often feels like rubbing your stomach while trying to headshot someone with a shotgun.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm sitting here waiting for a friend to get out of a game and I finally stopped and noticed how diverse the Legend cast is. Thumbs up Respawn.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular

http://apexlegendsmap.net/

I never noticed that most of the high value areas are on the outside of the map. Also how come no one seems to go to Water Treatment or Interstellar Relay? Seems like they have tons of stuff.

• Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    Zetx wrote: »
    Still getting the hang of this game. Even at 100 FOV, I feel like it's a bit tight camera-wise. That said, are y'all ADSing in close combat fights (on PC)? I feel like there's a lot more close combat than I'm used to in pubg (though I haven't played that in awhile)

It really depends on what I’m running loadout-wise, but the general answer is yes. Way more than I do in other shooters. Most of the time I’m running an R301 and a Wingman, or if I can’t find the 301 I’ll hopefully have a Spitfire. It’s taken some adjustment to continually remind myself that I can land shots with hipfire, and it’s done me good.

I feel most at home in this game in really close combat, so I often am geared specifically for that. As much as I hate the peacekeeper and hope it gets tweaked (and sometimes use it to stupid effect), I find the versatility of having a high ROF hip-fireable weapon to be basically a necessity considering how often things devolve into a knife fight. Consistently landing damage is often better than hoping you get lucky. Except when you get really lucky consistently, I guess.

mp_rr_canyonlands_64k_x_64k0009.jpg

I did this earlier with some low level randos primarily with a Wingman, with support from an R301.

I love this game (and the wingman).

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    How do you do that snazzy execute animation that people do to me?

• Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    When they’re downed, walk over and hit your interact key/button. Also hope that you’re not trying to close the door that they’re next to because their buddy is rushing in with a peacekeeper and well oh shit now you’re locked in the finisher animation. I’m not still mad about that death. Really.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
    I hate how many times I do the execute animation and I FINISH IT and then it gets interrupted and they become un-dead. >:|

Stay dead damn it.

And yeah, I'm loving the cast diversity. Getting to be a Maori badass is the best.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

This is a 14 and over forum :rotate:

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I'm liking all the characters but right now Pathfinder is my main, and I swear it's not just because he's the guy I managed to win with so I have cool banner cheevos and a legendary frame for.

Though that helps.

I'm looking forward to more maps and characters, not because what's already there isn't good it is and I enjoy it a lot, but well the game is good enough I want to see where they go with it. And of course I want more Robits.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Oh you guys, have I got the fucking funniest clip to upload for you later

This guy thought he was gonna pull a straight bamboozle on me

But I negated his bamboozle

Rius on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Say, that one upgrade that gives the peacekeeper a tighter spread and a charged shot. That goes on the triple tap too, doesn't it? Does it give the triple tap a charged shot as well?
    Update: It does.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I find the Peacekeeper consistently among my best weapons, even though I miss like half of my shots with it.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Also why is the ingame voice so bad? Bejeebus fuck.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Keep in mind there's no reason to do the finisher animation, it's just for showboating - faster to shoot or even punch them. Except I think there's a legendary item that makes finishers give you a heal.

Zek on