As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] Forsaken (and the Furious): Tokyo Drifter

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    650 get! Just in time for the increase in a few weeks!

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Braytech Osprey get. ~29 runs tonight - one person got it 2-3 in, then another at 7 or so. Got my first around 15, then another around 19. Last person got theirs on 29th or 30th run - of the evening, not overall.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Coldheart catalyst, woo!

Still a noob, so I got a question about masterwork weapons - it seems like some weapons drop as masterworks by default, but the ones you upgrade yourself are way better, right? It seems like the default masterworks have fewer attributes and no mod slot. Am I right?

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Is there any PvP mode with level/gear balancing/handicapping? I tried it but got slaughtered by mostly level 50s with 290+ power.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    My guy is cool now.

4cvg5ex4a9io.jpeg

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Is there any PvP mode with level/gear balancing/handicapping? I tried it but got slaughtered by mostly level 50s with 290+ power.

Every PVP mode has equalization except Iron Banner. Most likely they ripped you up because you're not used to the PvP in this game yet. Give it some more practice when you're ready and you'll see some better results.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular

Every PVP mode has equalization except Iron Banner. Most likely they ripped you up because you're not used to the PvP in this game yet. Give it some more practice when you're ready and you'll see some better results.

It seems like everyone just uses hand cannons and shotguns?

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    It's always fun hearing the Drifter yell "You're ahead!" when you drop the primeval below 60%, only have it instantly followed by "That's the round, your opponent kill their primeval"

The mode is basically broken with how much damage a 4-stack puts out

• Options
    I think a good invader is critical in the final battle. Left alone, first summoning team wins 99 times out of 100. But my teams have come from behind many times when our invader consistently kills 2 people over multiple invasions. Killing 3-4 in a single invasion can seal the game, since the primeval regains so much health and the other team is losing valuable time to dump its damage.

By the time a team gets a 4 or 5 stack of the buff it’s basically over, so you have to slow down their ability to get there and take advantage of it.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I think a good invader is critical in the final battle. Left alone, first summoning team wins 99 times out of 100. But my teams have come from behind many times when our invader consistently kills 2 people over multiple invasions. Killing 3-4 in a single invasion can seal the game, since the primeval regains so much health and the other team is losing valuable time to dump its damage.

By the time a team gets a 4 or 5 stack of the buff it’s basically over, so you have to slow down their ability to get there and take advantage of it.

They'll just wait you out. Start clearing the trash and wait for the invade. Kill the invader, burn the boss before they can even invade again. Invaders are mostly useless at higher levels of skill and coordination.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Definitely bring your own shotgun. Primary weapon is much more what you like to use. Hand cannon or pulse rifle is a popular choice though.

• Options

Are you on console? It's probably nothing but luna/not-forgottens and dust-rock-blueses.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

They'll just wait you out. Start clearing the trash and wait for the invade. Kill the invader, burn the boss before they can even invade again. Invaders are mostly useless at higher levels of skill and coordination.

Choke them with Phalanx corpses! Also yeah, kill invader then 2x Chaos Reach / Tether / Melting point is...hilariously effective. I hear a single slowva into the whole mess will kill both the wizard adds now too.

• Options
    awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Still a noob, so I got a question about masterwork weapons - it seems like some weapons drop as masterworks by default, but the ones you upgrade yourself are way better, right? It seems like the default masterworks have fewer attributes and no mod slot. Am I right?

If you have any weapons that have fewer perks and no mod slot, those are most likely Year 1 weapons that dropped from Y1 content (i.e. the vanilla campaign, Curse of Osiris, and Warmind). Y1 weapons always have the same perks, and occasionally have the chance to drop as a masterwork.

When we moved into Year 2 (i.e. Forsaken and everything after), Bungie changed it so that weapons had more perk/attribute slots, and could drop with random perks. Y2 weapons also have the mod slot, and a masterwork slot that you can upgrade incrementally. Some of the Y2 weapons can drop with what are called 'curated rolls,' meaning a specific set of perks and a level 10 masterwork already installed. These usually drop from endgame content, like the Dreaming City or the Raids.* (Note that curated rolls don't necessarily mean the best rolls, depending on your personal preference.)

*EDIT: Curated weapons can also be earned from seasonal events, like the bow you can get from Crimson Days this week.

awsimo on
  • Options

Hm. Well I mostly play by myself so I can only talk about my experience, but that does sound like a problem.

• Options

Hm. Well I mostly play by myself so I can only talk about my experience, but that does sound like a problem.

In less coordinated or skilled play Gambit actually works pretty well. I have a good time when I solo most of the time. Especially now that I've got my title and 3 resets and so there's no pressure. But the game mode is broken as fuck.

• Options
    That's a shame because I really like it. I'm a big fan of hoard modes and the way Bungie has set it up creates this great pace and the competitive element and invasions add a really exciting and interesting piece to everything.

I wonder how it could be fixed.

• Options
    awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular

Definitely bring your own shotgun. Primary weapon is much more what you like to use. Hand cannon or pulse rifle is a popular choice though.

I switched to MIDA Multi-tool for Competitive after they buffed Scouts, and my game has drastically improved. I really really love that gun though, so ymmv.

Shotguns are definitely very dominant right now. You can also do quite well with a decent Fusion Rifle if you're able to grok the range and timing, but the learning curve is a bit steeper.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    There is a new exotic emote called Lovestruck.

Buyable with silver only.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    There is a new exotic emote called Lovestruck.

Buyable with silver only.

Lovestruck is the bundle, the emote is Tiny Bow. Also you sound surprised? This was announced last week. There's also a bundle-exclusive ornament for the new Crimson Days bow.

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular

In my original comment that your quoted post if referencing, we summoned first, and the kill happened at x2 stacks. Invading only works against super burn team if your other teammates 3 can 100-to-0 the primeval without you while you stall. Which is really only possible in a 4-stack.

I'm in the same boat as shrike for the most part, I have the title and 3 in-same seasons resets, so I don't really get too bothered, but the mode is so broken that the only reason a 4-stack can lose at this point is either by willful choice to not synergize, or ignorance of the burn strats. The worlds best invader will not be enough to stop them.

Also speaking of invaders, in a 4-stack you can have a designated invader that has the taken heavy drop on kill mods, so you can basically just funnel blocker kills to them to have the constantly have heavy for invades. If you've ever wonder how the hell that dude who's invaded 6-8 times always has 4x queenbreaker shots, that's how. Rando team is almost never going to have someone with that mod, and even if they do they aren't always going to get to the portal before some idiot rushes in with only primary ammo and a prayer.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Tangled Shoe flashpoint week. Oof. I wanted to farm Variks cards, but also Crimson Days is going on.

Destiny wants me to stop playing Apex this week, I guess.

• Options
    Tangled Shoe flashpoint week. Oof. I wanted to farm Variks cards, but also Crimson Days is going on.

Destiny wants me to stop playing Apex this week, I guess.

I guess that's a thing to farm this week then.

I need a few more Cayde lores too and then I've got everything for the Chronicler title except the thing nobody can yet complete.

• Options
    I feel like they need to really need to get off their asses and provide a lot more content for the Eververse if they want to make a go of it without a publisher. Not just more quantity, but better quality. Add piles of cosmetics in the form of shaders, emotes and armor, weapons and ornaments. Not for dust. For silver. Running a game as a service costs money for the infrastructure and the people to run it. Providing content updates between paid DLC costs money. If you want to blow a kiss, then you can drop a buck or two - price it sensibly, in terms that are easily understood - 100 silver is a dollar and a new shader costs a buck. Animated? $1.50 Offer coordinated palettes of shaders for $3.50. Next season, crank out more and move the old content to the dust economy. If you gotta have it, buy it for silver, if not then wait. Put silver on sale at Christmas and such. Have the Eververse engrams give a very slim chance for a coupon on silver. Get a working transmog system in the game. Make Eververse armor strictly cosmetic that replaces the appearance of functional armor.

Right now they move at such a glacial fucking pace on everything that I wonder if this game will survive long term and that would be a real shame.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I’d make Transmog a priority.

This terrible loot system will never give you exactly what you want, it seems like its pretty much built not to, (armor perks especially) include exotic transmog too, I absolutely love Nezarec’s Sin’s design (and its ornament) but find its current exotic perk pretty underwhelming, I love Crown of Tempest’s perk but that helmet looks terrible.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    New shoot a bow emote + 5 (5? Who cares how many, I could choke the entirety of the tower to death with my dust which is what I assume it costs to take them out of the collection) pink/red/black/white shaders for ~12.50 Say what? Fuck that. Lemme buy that emote for less than 5 bucks and impulse will take over.

6.25 for 500 dust is goofy and dumb like it was 10.99 for 800 Microsoft Points - remember those stupid things? Now maybe that's a Canadian pricing thing? What does it say for anyone in the States or AUS?

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    It takes 30-60 minutes of play to get enough currency for the bow.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Did they turn on matchmaking for Crimson Doubles? I don’t think I’ve had any easy matches, in the dozen I’ve played, or any complete drubs. Just a steady stream of close matches or one that felt closer than the score.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Elki wrote: »

The real grind, for those of us who got everything last year, is the Triumph grind for the Ghost

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Vagabond wrote: »

The real grind, for those of us who got everything last year, is the Triumph grind for the Ghost

The 22 matches/11 wins are gonna be, by far, the longest part of that grind.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Vagabond wrote: »

The 22 matches/11 wins are gonna be, by far, the longest part of that grind.

There's also three hidden 0-point triumphs and so far two have been discovered (or at least posted about on r/DTG):
    - Wipe the enemy team with Two-Tailed Fox
    - Avenge your teammate with Vigilance Wing (presumably after activating its buff effect)

Some other potential exotics that are related to teamwork:
    - Rat King
    - Sturm / Drang
    - Aeon Cult armor
    - The Stag
    - Apotheosis Veil
    - Verity's Brow
    - Phoenix Protocol
    - Sanguine Alchemy
    - Lunafaction Boots

EDIT: Third has been discovered: Defeat enemies with Crimson. Tracker reads X/2 but I don't know if this is just two kills, a Double Kill, or a Team Wipe (which... should be the same)

Vagabond on
    vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    Ooh, that sounds like fun. I’ve loaded my hunter with all 3, and I’ll try to do those later.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    First match of Crimson Doubles, and it's two guys with Luna's Howl and Wardcliff and One-Eyed Mask playing it like it's a sweaty Competitive match.

That wasn't much fun.

Arteen on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    First day / night are gonna be the sweaty poopsock streaming set. I find if I take a day off during the week, playing crucible during the day is kind of miserable, even when I get home around 4:30 EST and knock out a couple matches. Better to wait into the evening when there's more....normal people on.

Nosf on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    *two arcstriders with shinobu's vow*

Oh right, this is how to play Crimson Doubles.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Confectionery Hearts are baked from blood, sweat, and tears.

And they are delicious.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Via PC Gamer re: Activision earnings call today, some interesting things about the Activision/Bungie split were asked/answered.

Activisions decision to part with Destiny/Bungie boiled down to 3 main reasons I guess:

1) They didn't own the IP. Maybe that was already well known, but given that it seemed to be part of the headlines of Bungie splitting, that they would keep Destiny, I'm not sure it was? The full quote is here (prepare yourself, so that you don't detach your optic nerves from the eyeroll that will result of the sheer amount of corporate/monitization speak):
    "First, as you know, we didn't own the underlying Destiny IP," Johnson said. "And we do for all our other major franchises, which we think is not just a differentiator for us in the industry, but also controlling the underlying IP gives us the chance to move into new experiences and new engagement models, which also come with new revenue streams and of course structurally higher economics, when you own the IP."

It makes me wonder just how much Bungie protected the IP, and how many things Activision tried to "suggest" they do with the IP to create "new engagement models" (jesus fucking christ that phrase...). The response to this specific question alone increases my hope/belief that Bungie will seek to keep the series from going full on CoD/Battlefield as far as microtransactions go. Of course, since at least the next year-ish of D2 (if not longer) was already set in stone, it will be some time before we really see where they go.

2) It wasn't meeting financial expectations. We already knew this one, but in a call where they announced record earnings, and massive layoffs, the "expectations" had to have been comically absurd. This also reinforces my (and others) reaction to this news when it was initially reported ages ago, and then again with the split. That belief being that the games probably made obscene amounts of profit, but not quite obscene enough for the asshats at Activision.

3) That it locked up "developer talent". This was an odd one, as they also said that the details of the split deal will free up said issue relatively soon. It wasn't expanded upon, but I believe what they're referring to is High Moon and the other one (Vicarious? I can't remember the name) being used to make D2 content, and their part of that agreement will be soon complete. I don't know if that means they aren't going to be working on Penumbra, or if they're already going to be done with their part of that content, but like #1 I think it'll be some time before we get a clearer picture on what a fully Bungie developed Destiny looks like. This also assumes Bungie doesn't partner with other studios instead, but in that case, I would suspect they'd still have more control over what content was delivered/ordered, so it will still be more "their" vision and less with Activision breathing down their neck.

Anyway, that's all.

I've barely played the past few weeks, and I'm struggling to find the urge to play this week for the holiday. I'll probably check it out later, but doubles is up there with rumble as far as my least favorite crucible modes, so my desire to get all the things is extremely low. EDIT: To be clear, the struggle isn't a knock on D2. When I stopped playing after launch, the lack of urge was a knock on D2; but this time it's just because I played so god damned much since Forsaken and the burnout is real.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Activision probably wanted Bungie to make a Destiny mobile game or something. That's what "new experiences and new engagement models" means imo.

And today's lay-off-a-palooza included High Moon Studios from reporting I saw so I suspect without Destiny 2 content to make they didn't have as much to do with those guys.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Activision probably wanted Bungie to make a Destiny mobile game or something. That's what "new experiences and new engagement models" means imo.

And today's lay-off-a-palooza included High Moon Studios from reporting I saw so I suspect without Destiny 2 content to make they didn't have as much to do with those guys.

If only there was a game about a war...I dunno, the war could be on some other planet. Maybe have some robots on it or something. I bet High Moon might be able to figure out a game like that.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options

If only there was a game about a war...I dunno, the war could be on some other planet. Maybe have some robots on it or something. I bet High Moon might be able to figure out a game like that.

Is it on a cellphone though? We've all got cellphones after all.