As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Climbing] Gumbies Welcome. Everyone Else, Sidepull to the Gaston.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    When I was new in the gym, I didn't want to pay for / take the belay class, so I watched some youtube videos and tried to fake my way through it and needless to say I blew it, but also the kid was a huge dick about it which was a bummer experience.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I have a lead tag but I haven't lead climbed in so long that I been considering taking the lead class again as a refresher.

@chamberlain story just convinced me to do that.

Kyougu on
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    ...I was mostly climbing alone when I started climbing as an adult so I just did bouldering and that was five years ago and I never got around to learning to belay.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I should emphasize that the gym employee was 100% correct on what he did and was in no way rude.

Once I got over myself (which took fucking weeks) I realized it was handled as well as it could have been.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Only semi-related, this is the best video on climbing anchors and is largely why I'm such a systems nerd today

Sure, I might not have had any opportunity to practice any of this doing single-pitch sport in the Red, but someday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SkCojauHto

Also, BTW, the climbing in Cuba is world fucking class and it's the hemisphere's best-kept secret. Planning a longer write-up for later, but in the mean time just know that there are huge numbers of climbs from very moderate to quite stiff (like, seriously, tons in the 5.8-5.10b range within walking distance of casas), a robust route developing community, solid bolts, and readily-available guides though you don't necessarily need one.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I don't know if anyone else here resides in the Venn diagram overlap of climbing enthusiasm and caring about movie award shows, but... I was super happy to see Free Solo nominated for an Oscar for best documentary today. Very, very deserved. (And since the Mr. Rogers documentary was snubbed and didn't get a nomination, I can root for it unreservedly.)

Have you all seen Free Solo (Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi & Jimmy Chin's uncanny capturing of the preparation for and actual free solo ascent of El Cap by Alex Honnold in 2017)? You all should see Free Solo.

Honestly I was hoping it would get a cinematography nomination as well. The camerawork to capture the ascent is amazing.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Free Solo made my feet hurt and everyone was enthralled during the crux of the climb even though most people should know how it ends

V good movie

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    i'm going to be sore as hell tomorrow (i'm sore now!), but for my first time back on the wall since September, i'm pretty pleased.
    i did a few low grade warmups, but i was feeling pretty good and tackled a bunch at what i was climbing before my hiatus.

lfchwLd.jpg
    anyone know where Bouldering Nationals 2019 video will get put up?

Man, some people need reminders on climbing ettiquette at the gym.

Packed night tonight and two guys decided it would be a good time to run up and down routes for endurance. Literally were hogging a rope for 20+ minutes, just doing that over and over.

Even when asked if their training involved sharing or that there was people waiting for the rope, they didn't get off.

The worst! Fortunately our gym's lead area doesn't get too crowded, but sometimes the number of kids especially can make it impossible to have a productive bouldering session

Does anyone have experience getting shoes re-soled? I sent mine off last week because it was significantly cheaper that buying a new pair, but that means that I will be without any shoes for at least two weeks.

I haven't, personally, but I do keep an old pair of beater shoes just in case. My partner uses her old shoes for warmups and ARCing to save the rubber on her new ones.

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I have gotten mine resoled and it worked well. Added a couple years of useful life to my current pair, though I'm pretty good about avoiding wear on the rand.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Last time I tried it was already too worn through to resole, and my last pair were getting uncomfortable by the end of it so I preferred to replace them.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    I'm only on my third-ever pair of shoes and haven't yet found any that I'm in love with enough to resole. My previous Vapor Vs were good and I don't hate my Katanas except for the fact that both being the 'same size', the Katanas are larger by a substantial amount and hurt my feet in a way that feels like they're just a bad fit.

Kind of frustrating, since I couldn't tell how they'd break in and I wouldn't feel right returning shoes after 6 months and several outdoor trips, so lesson learned.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I've had two pairs of shoe resoled three times all told, and it was a positive experience each time

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    TL DR wrote: »
    I'm only on my third-ever pair of shoes and haven't yet found any that I'm in love with enough to resole. My previous Vapor Vs were good and I don't hate my Katanas except for the fact that both being the 'same size', the Katanas are larger by a substantial amount and hurt my feet in a way that feels like they're just a bad fit.

Kind of frustrating, since I couldn't tell how they'd break in and I wouldn't feel right returning shoes after 6 months and several outdoor trips, so lesson learned.

Could always sell them if they aren't too worn?

Or get your next pair from REI ;)

So It Goes wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »

Could always sell them if they aren't too worn?

Or get your next pair from REI ;)

These came from REI. I just don't want to abuse the return policy.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    REI changed the return policy to be at management discretion due to abuse already.

I've gotten some good, aggressive shoes cheap from their garage sales though. Those are the ones where they sell the returns. They tend to have a few pairs of really aggressive shoes since newbies try then and return them.

What is this I don't even.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    As someone who just ordered shoes for REI for my partner for valentine's day, and is sure but not 100% sure they will be a good fit, maaaan I hope they haven't changed their return policy too much.

Inquisitor on
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    As someone who just ordered shoes for REI for my partner for valentine's day, and is sure but not 100% sure they will be a good fit, maaaan I hope they haven't changed their return policy too much.

They return almost everything except if you've obviously used the product for its intended life.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

They return almost everything except if you've obviously used the product for its intended life.

Yep, people were just using it to return stuff for full credit when it was used up or even for a different color etc

I heard stories of people returning camping gear in horrible conditions, like clearly after a camping trip without bothering to clean it, and the return being accepted.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I heard stories of people returning camping gear in horrible conditions, like clearly after a camping trip without bothering to clean it, and the return being accepted.

Fuckin' assholes.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

Fuckin' assholes.

Fun fact: Phish shows in Maine/New York are the driver behind LL Bean changing their return policies as people would buy the camping stuff, get it super yucky then return on their trip home.

Are there any stretch or warm up routines y’all like before climbing? My partner has started climbing with me recently and she gets foot cramps pretty consistently into each climbing session.

I do arm rotations, a lunge \ groin stretch and core engagement pose, Warrior 2 -> side angle pose -> triangle pose, then a seated forward fold and seated side bend.

It's probably not enough, and people have 20-minute warmups that they recommend. If her feet hurt, is she taking her shoes off between burns? There are foot stretches people do before running that may help.

I also end a session with some work including pushups, which I've found keeps my elbows from hurting.

Are there any stretch or warm up routines y’all like before climbing? My partner has started climbing with me recently and she gets foot cramps pretty consistently into each climbing session.

Hydrate tons before and during, I've found this helps with foot cramps in particular

Is this person a new climber? Are they possibly just wearing too tight shoes?

New climber, new shoes, second time using said shoes. They might be too tight but they may just need to be broken in a bit.

New climber, new shoes, second time using said shoes. They might be too tight but they may just need to be broken in a bit.

Oh, yeah, they'll definitely break in.

Encourage her to take them off between climbs until they stop hurting - belaying barefoot on top rope is perfectly safe

edited March 2019
    Climbing at Peru was amazing. The rock felt great, fantastic routes and I kinda got a great picture of me climbing which doesn't happen often.

Kyougu on
    74ao4p722zzm.png

edited April 2019
    Made it out to the Red yesterday and had a blast. First nice weather of the season, and we never had to wait for a route to open up, even at Muir. Folks mentioned that other areas were busier, but The Hideout not so much.

Lead head has gotten much better. I sent Boltergeist, which was fun as hell and a whopping 13 bolts before the anchor. Another climber was complaining about a certain section being committing / having uncertain hands, but I didn't even notice I was at a difficult section until my belayer called up "You cruised through the crux!". I think I'm just getting much better at reading the rock and being able to predict what will be good.

Another pair got on it after, and the climber called down from less than halfway up that he was out of draws. My partner was able to swing over from the adjacent line and lend him a couple, but he ended up being short 5(!) and just skipping every other bolt to the anchor. He gets to the bottom and says to his belayer "Hey, remember when I asked you if I had enough draws, and you said yes?"

TL DR on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    jesus christ I would have been so fucking jittery skipping every other bolt aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa no

nooooo nope no thanks

So another year and it's time for me to sign up for our gym's annual 12 hour comp. My partner and I are brainstorming themes for a team names/costumes and having a hard time. Anyone want to suggest something?

We done these before:

Fontain Blue team (dressed as French people)
    No betta
    The Gastons (My personal favorite)
    The Flappers

And my partner already shut down these or they been done by others:
    I.C.P (Insane Climb Posee)
    Passion of the Crux (I REALLY wanted to do this one)
    Crag Ladies
    Han Free Solo

edited July 2019
    The quickdraw and the deadpoint.

or

The Dynos.

(if you are brave enough to climb in an inflatable T-Rex costume)

chamberlain on
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    The Good, the Bad, and the Chossy