As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    As a Lifeline player, I feel it's my duty to use my finisher seeing all I'm doing is knocking someone out with her drumsticks. As that's better that then a bullet, she and I are thus saving lives. You're welcome.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I find the Peacekeeper consistently among my best weapons, even though I miss like half of my shots with it.

Probably at least a little because it's broken AF. It's a fun gun to use. Awful to fight against.

Edit: PSA please break off and don't ride the jump master all the way down. Pick another building.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Woof, I played around 10 games tonight at least and didn't win once. Got a really close second place early on, but I think I'm just bad at sniping in this game. I try, and it's a lot of plinking back and forth, depleting healing items, and then the circle closes and we die rushing in. Tonight it ended on the Airstrip and we had 5 squads in the final circle. People are getting better at this game, it seems. Hard to land somewhere without at least one other team hitting the same spot or nearby enough to rough us up early. There was a game where both my teammates died, I got both tags, got them back in, and the same team came back to kill us all again. Yikes.

I still love the Spitfire tho
    https://youtu.be/2V-KZQ_egFc
    https://youtu.be/26knbtox3Ok

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Had a rough night but got a win to end in on a match where we did about 3k total damage

Smoke plus two of us with threat scopes on peacemakers turned some massive 3-4 man squad cluster fudges into tactical slaughters

The final squad squad fight was just insanely lopsided as we murdered them blind

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Gah, played a match was going well, had my first crash to dashboard. Said "fuck it one more" and played with a squad that seemed green. We landed far away from everything, and slowly made our way to circle after circle after circle. Eventually, we were the last 5 squads, then 4, then 3, by round 6 isolated to three separate buildings. I portal us over to the building where the next circle will be, itching for a fight, but the other team abandoned it to come after us. I try to get my team to camp out, but they run up to the roof where murder is, die, then blame me for not dying with them. Calling me a terrible player and that I lost them the round. I wait. And wait. And toss grenades at the only stairwell people can get to me from. And slowly the circle closes to the final round, which I hold, and one player dies from exposure, and the other has to waltz into my waiting shotgun.

Victory!

Unfortunately for me, in my haste to kill the last guy, I didn't stop and think "why didn't I win the game when I downed him." I just shot more. But it turns out he had a gold self-revive knockdown shield. Which could be the only way you can win the game with an execution, and I missed my opportunity in my shotgun-haste.

Ah well, the victory still tastes sweet, partially because my randos bitched at me about what was a successful trap plan.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Zek wrote: »
    Keep in mind there's no reason to do the finisher animation, it's just for showboating - faster to shoot or even punch them. Except I think there's a legendary item that makes finishers give you a heal.
    Shooting takes ammo, especially if they've got a shield, and punching knocks them around which can be awkward and unreliable. Finishers do leave you really vulnerable, so for sure there's lots of times when you shouldn't do them, but I think there are practical reasons to go for them.

cB557 on
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    While reviewing tonight's footage, I noticed that I was the kill leader for a bit. I was the jump master and was trying to decide where to drop us. I probably should have picked a later site, but someone in the party pinged farms. Being relatively apathetic and not caring where we dropped, I decided to go for it even though farms only barely has a name and has fuck all for loot. We were a bit late dropping for it, but at least nobody else would be angling for such a poor spot right? WRONG. Two other squads headed there and we were the last to touch down by about half a second. It was basically a clown fiesta of gas traps and punches as we all brawled over P2020's and RE-45s. It came down to me vs two enemies, and they would have won if they would have both just meleed me to death but thankfully one of them decided to try using the Mozambique instead. Thank you opponent who hasn't realized that the Mozambique is weaker than punching and that it's only use is to be used as a slightly weaker punch to be thrown out immediately prior to your good punch.

Anyway, I was so busy rushing to grab my killed teammate's beacon and rez my downed teammate that I didn't notice the popup that my three kills at the start of the match had made me the kill leader, which I think unlocked an achievement.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I was the kill leader once after getting 3 kills in the beginning of a match. I died shortly after that.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Won my first game today! Well, I died a lot. Then totally died out, went to do things so that I'd get the xp, and the two dudes went on to win. Got second in a game that I contributed a lot to as well.

My favorite game just happened. Dropped out the ship onto a drop ship which I didn't know you voyld do. So did 5 other squads
    We died quickly it was hilarious and brutal

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Won my first game today! Well, I died a lot. Then totally died out, went to do things so that I'd get the xp, and the two dudes went on to win. Got second in a game that I contributed a lot to as well.

My favorite game just happened. Dropped out the ship onto a drop ship which I didn't know you voyld do. So did 5 other squads
    We died quickly it was hilarious and brutal

Amusing bug on the dropship while it's still moving, if you are being revived you and your savior stop moving and the dropship keeps on going without you. Leaving you to fall to the ground once the animation finishes. At least there is no falling damage in this game.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Okay after playing Caustic some more I definitely feel that pairing him with Pathfinder is the way to go.

In addition to the zipline shananigans like I was hoping you have the time to get set up and not be reacting.

On the other hand, the two times we did get set up with a great position my teammates started firing off the rooftop to let the remaining 5 squads know exactly where we were and then jumped down to start shooting at them.

I have won more games with randoms than with not, but am I the only one with common sense? We're at the top of a tower, that they have to fight through toxic clouds of gas every step of the way to reach and you fucking jump down to mix it up with them?

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    Okay after playing Caustic some more I definitely feel that pairing him with Pathfinder is the way to go.

In addition to the zipline shananigans like I was hoping you have the time to get set up and not be reacting.

On the other hand, the two times we did get set up with a great position my teammates started firing off the rooftop to let the remaining 5 squads know exactly where we were and then jumped down to start shooting at them.

I have won more games with randoms than with not, but am I the only one with common sense? We're at the top of a tower, that they have to fight through toxic clouds of gas every step of the way to reach and you fucking jump down to mix it up with them?

It's been a week.

As the guy that keeps getting yelled at by people in these matches I cannot stress enough that.its.been.a.week. Most of the time I have no idea what I'm doing beyond trying to stay inside a circle and shoot other people that aren't on my team. I barely know what bullets go in what gun.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Any Mirage players? Mirage's ult causes you to holster your weapons while you're stealthed. However, it also seems that it's still possible for an opponent to know where you're stealthed if they're looking closely. I had an opponent ignore my Mirage ult and keep shooting the real me, the whole time I was unable to punch, shoot, or drop stealth to get out my weapon while locked into the ult. Anything I should know or be doing differently?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular

It can be frustrating but I just try to keep in mind that there are a lot of people where this is the only significant time they have spent playing a game of this type. Hell, I'm not great at it so I can understand the learning curve that exists. Especially since this type of game rewards a set of skills that are almost the complete opposite of the skills that people use in most other shooting games.

Understanding that when you see someone, unless you are really, really good, you should probably avoid the fight unless the terms are incredibly favorable for you is a hard thing to get used to when most games say "kill, kill, kill".

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Any Mirage players? Mirage's ult causes you to holster your weapons while you're stealthed. However, it also seems that it's still possible for an opponent to know where you're stealthed if they're looking closely. I had an opponent ignore my Mirage ult and keep shooting the real me, the whole time I was unable to punch, shoot, or drop stealth to get out my weapon while locked into the ult. Anything I should know or be doing differently?

Yea, his ult leaves behind a light blur that makes it possible for enemies to see you. If someone is looking right at you when you ult (and they know how the ult works), you are probably going to die. It's best used behind cover, or somewhere enemies can only see one of the five decoys. It is a very situational ult. Luckily, his active skill is amazing and on a crazy short cooldown.

On a side note, there was an old trick in Halo:Reach, where you would look straight down and activate decoy, and you would run straight forward. To anyone looking, it would seem like you were standing still and sending the decoy out ahead. I haven't had a chance to pull it off yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

• Options

I haven't unlocked Mirage yet but from what I have heard you can't actually use it as a "full panic" ultimate as much as you would think. I would imagine it would be if you are in the open but at the edge of cover and can use them to cover your escape into the interior of off in the distance in a nook or whatnot. Other wise maybe using it when you are being pinged from a distance by some fire that's far enough away that they cant immediately track you when you go invis in the decoys.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    This is good to know. My first time out with the ultimate I was trying to use it to flank with a shotgun, but the whole team just turned to follow the real me.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    His ult definitely needs some help; the decoys ought to be doing something at least.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    squall99x wrote: »

I haven't unlocked Mirage yet but from what I have heard you can't actually use it as a "full panic" ultimate as much as you would think. I would imagine it would be if you are in the open but at the edge of cover and can use them to cover your escape into the interior of off in the distance in a nook or whatnot. Other wise maybe using it when you are being pinged from a distance by some fire that's far enough away that they cant immediately track you when you go invis in the decoys.

You can definitely see his invisible form if you look closely, any time he's cloaked I think. It's pretty easy to see, but hard to aim at.

• Options
    There's no secret way to drop out of mirage's stealth to regain your attack is there?

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Rius wrote: »
    His ult definitely needs some help; the decoys ought to be doing something at least.

I agree, they should sprint off in different directions. As it is now, it's just a big marker for everyone to know that there is a cloaked Mirage around.+
    There's no secret way to drop out of mirage's stealth to regain your attack is there?

Nope, you have to wait it out.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited February 2019

It's been a week.

As the guy that keeps getting yelled at by people in these matches I cannot stress enough that.its.been.a.week. Most of the time I have no idea what I'm doing beyond trying to stay inside a circle and shoot other people that aren't on my team. I barely know what bullets go in what gun.

That doesn't fly since this is basic tactics and not something unique to apex.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options

It's been a week.

I mean, it is possible that some of these people have never played a BR game before and most PvP games don't really prioritize you holding your shots to not give away your position nearly as much - they reward chasing the kill way more.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    I find the Peacekeeper consistently among my best weapons, even though I miss like half of my shots with it.

Probably at least a little because it's broken AF. It's a fun gun to use. Awful to fight against.

Edit: PSA please break off and don't ride the jump master all the way down. Pick another building.

I think the weapon balance is pretty much good to great, aside from the mozambique and the peacekeeper. The lack of damage falloff makes the peacekeeper with a choke effective well outside of typical shotgun range, which is the point, I concede, but it dips its toes too far into medium range. It becomes really hard to contend with a competent peacekeeper at ranges where you'd normally be able to do a decent job countering one. There's also the damage/magazine potential, particularly in the early game where no one has armor. It can wipe squads in a way that only a Devotion with a turbocharger can dream of doing

Most of the weapons are balanced around the fact that it takes many shots, or teamshooting, to do good damage. Generally speaking, if your shots are on target, the TTK isn't really that high. The peacekeeper feels like it's a dice roll to both use and be on the business end of -- sometimes it feels like you miss shots that should hit (this is a symptom elsewhere, too) or you get hit by one that takes you from 75s/100hp to dead even though statistically it can't do that. This is made worse by the fact that a lot of squads if they're getting sweaty will just run 3 peacekeepers and rush you, where the whole teamshoot idea to the weapon balance takes a big shit and you're instantly dead.

I really really really hate to jump to calling for nerfs so soon after the thing has come out, but I feel like the peacekeeper needs some tuning. It's not the best gun, nor is it consistently good, it's just not much fun to be the target of. You just spend the fight wondering when you're going to get one-shot.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    How finished is this game? I played a few rounds and it feels like a very early prototype to me. I'm curious if this is just a thing that I should ignore as it's not for me.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    How finished is this game? I played a few rounds and it feels like a very early prototype to me. I'm curious if this is just a thing that I should ignore as it's not for me.

I would say very finished? It actually has a lot more quality of life stuff than most games in the genre. It might just be the trappings of the particular genre that aren't meshing for you. Out of curiosity in what way did it feel like a prototype?

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular

It can be frustrating but I just try to keep in mind that there are a lot of people where this is the only significant time they have spent playing a game of this type. Hell, I'm not great at it so I can understand the learning curve that exists. Especially since this type of game rewards a set of skills that are almost the complete opposite of the skills that people use in most other shooting games.

Understanding that when you see someone, unless you are really, really good, you should probably avoid the fight unless the terms are incredibly favorable for you is a hard thing to get used to when most games say "kill, kill, kill".

Having played HOTS/mobas for what 5 years now, there will always be a portion (majority in hots sadly) of the player base, that refuse to make the safe strategic play in favor of just trying to shoot someone, they see the shooting as the fun thing and your not going to convince them otherwise

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular

This game is going to have a very long tail of support, they're doing 3 month seasons which will each add new characters at least, and they'll no doubt do more maps and game modes. However right now it is a very complete and polished BR game, I'm not sure what you're seeing that looks like a prototype. Give it a little longer to see if it clicks.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I've been swapping between this and Titanfall 2 over the past couple days.

Now I want Apex with a bunch of AI grunts and spectres to fight.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

I would say very finished? It actually has a lot more quality of life stuff than most games in the genre. It might just be the trappings of the particular genre that aren't meshing for you. Out of curiosity in what way did it feel like a prototype?

It just feels very empty on the whole with no reason to play. When you die you sort of awkwardly quit to the lobby that gives a strange sense of deflation and hurts the idea that the round even had a winner. Possibly that's an indicator the genre is not for me.

Also the way the tutorial teaches ~75% of the controls rather than any of the game mechanics or concepts is the kind of thing I'd expect from an early access game.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I've got a much better feel for the shooting now, I had some good games last night (including one where I killed a squad of 3 with an Alternator, felt pretty good about it but my controller battery died as I was going to record the clip). That's really all I want, a lot of this game comes down to luck but if I am at least shooting well I don't feel like I was useless.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I consider Apex Legends to be extremely well-polished, but there is certainly room for other perspectives.

The bleeding-edge of the FPS scene has basically always been a bit rough around the edges - many of the runaway successes have been mods (Counterstrike, DayZ, Team Fortress, etc) or even mods of mods.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options

It's been a week.

I mean, it is possible that some of these people have never played a BR game before and most PvP games don't really prioritize you holding your shots to not give away your position nearly as much - they reward chasing the kill way more.

BR games have been around for more than a week. Apex isn't breaking new ground, it's polishing the older concepts. An individual can be completely inexperienced, but then the best play is to follow suit with your teammate that looks like he knows what he's doing.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular

It just feels very empty on the whole with no reason to play. When you die you sort of awkwardly quit to the lobby that gives a strange sense of deflation and hurts the idea that the round even had a winner. Possibly that's an indicator the genre is not for me.

Also the way the tutorial teaches ~75% of the controls rather than any of the game mechanics or concepts is the kind of thing I'd expect from an early access game.

Ironically, this is one of the reasons other designers have attributed the success of the battle Royal genre. When you lose you don't feel the loss the way you would in a standard competition; you just requeue.

The winner knows he won, he gets congratulations and stats, but that screen isn't rubbing it in your face when you lose early, or even finish top 3.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
    The tutorial was straight up broken for me. Voiceovers talking over each other so I couldn't understand anything. Can't actually practice unless you ignore orders (and exploring the tutorial is really fun, ziplines ho!). Doesn't cover the vast bulk of what you need to know, too, you're right.

But it's the only part of the game that didn't feel awesome and polished.

• Options

It's been a week.

BR games have been around for more than a week. Apex isn't breaking new ground, it's polishing the older concepts. An individual can be completely inexperienced, but then the best play is to follow suit with your teammate that looks like he knows what he's doing.

I understand what you are saying but I just feel like you aren't putting yourself in the shoes of someone who is truly new to the genre. Baseball has been around a really long time - but if its my first time playing I'm not automatically going to understand the rules - let alone understand any type of nuance as to what decision to make in a given moment or circumstance. Do I walk this guy intentionally? Do I bunt to move a runner? Etc. etc. It's easy to say "Just don't be dumb and do what other people are doing" But if you don't *understand* why people are doing what they are doing it doesn't have any real value.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

It's been a week.

I understand what you are saying but I just feel like you aren't putting yourself in the shoes of someone who is truly new to the genre. Baseball has been around a really long time - but if its my first time playing I'm not automatically going to understand the rules - let alone understand any type of nuance as to what decision to make in a given moment or circumstance. Do I walk this guy intentionally? Do I bunt to move a runner? Etc. etc. It's easy to say "Just don't be dumb and do what other people are doing" But if you don't *understand* why people are doing what they are doing it doesn't have any real value.

Thats kind of the beauty of this game. You are put in with a team, so just follow them around. Gear up near them, watch what your different teammates do, learn from their movements and progression throughout the game, etc.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Finally broke down and installed Origin to play this - Glad that I did. It's considerably more polished than any other BR I've ever seen, and I really dig the quality of life mechanics.

Unfortunately, despite having experience with the BR genre, I suck probably harder than anyone else playing the game.

Honestly, over the past three days, it's been the same story: Spend 5-15 minutes looting and setting up a good position with my squad, being tactical in our movement, ensuring we're all kitted out - And then getting utterly ranched inside of 10 seconds. It doesn't matter if I'm packing level three armor and a Peacekeeper with the choke mod, with a Wingman at my hip. I've even had the high ground and the element of surprise on an opponent, and been the one to initiate a fight. I just get dissolved in a matter of moments. Still haven't even survived a single engagement after three days.

It's a bit weird to me, seeing as I still play a lot of twitch gameplay FPS for fun and do decently enough there. Something about Apex is just, nope, I suck and can't do anything about it. I'm always the first corpse in a fight.

Still a fun and gorgeous game, though. The fact that I'm still going back to it, even though my experience is that I can't effectively play it, is a testament to how well made the game feels.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    TTK is high for a battle royale game, but it's still low- every character has 100hp and 100 maximum shields (purple), while all weapons do roughly 120-250 damage per second, and more for head shots.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg