As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Anthem] Early Access is live. Please mark spoilers. God speed, Freelancers.

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    It's my birthday and I am ready to inject this game into my veins. Alas.

I'm sympathetic to pvp vs single-player. There are still some great single-player games out there, but I do feel at some point that extroverts invaded my precious introvert hobby with all their constant talking, but the reality is there are still a ton of great single players games to veg out with. I do wish a few IPs were single player though. Overwatch is a good example, I've played the hell out of that game, and I love, love, love the characters/world, but if there were a single player or pve aspect to it that was at all compelling I would drop the pvp aspect with a quickness.

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    El Mucho wrote: »
    I think it might be a fairly good play in the long run if Apex stays as popular. Apex is only available through origin so all EA has to do to get eyes on Anthem is have a title page on Origin launch with Anthem displayed. 10 million unique Apex players is no joke, if a fraction of those people see Anthem and think it looks cool that's a win.

EDIT: I just realized that the 10 million is spread across all platforms. But even still a good number of those players will be playing PC.

Apex's success has seriously goosed EA's stock price. Even though those gains are probably ephemeral, the fact that Apex exists and has the potential to be a major new ongoing revenue source should take a lot of pressure off of Anthem to succeed massively and immediately.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    New video card installed*, and day taken off. Alright Anthem, let's do this.

* GPU drivers are haunted. They managed to install themselves after a reboot faster than it took me to manually try and install them (which failed because they were already installing themselves).

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Is there any chance of preordering this anywhere and getting the bonuses?

Edit:
    Looks like it... Maybe I will preorder it then.

Double Edit:
    Aww, I have to sign up for Origin premier to get it this weekend?

Koreg on
    If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Origin Premier this weekend, yea.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well if you're on xbox or pc you can have the 5 dollar origin option and get 10 hours of time. It's not nothing!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    There's also the trial option on PC if someone who already is subscribed to Origin Access sends you an invite. You'll get 7 days of Origin Access Basic which is more than enough time to use up your 10 hours of time if you want to try the game out a little earlier. Anyone already subscribed can send this to up to 4 people if they haven't invited anyone before.

We should probably set up a list of people who want invites or possibly use the spreadsheet we already have and replace the "code requested" column with a "trial requested" column.

• envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    Well I've always been exclusively PvE so Anthem is hopefully scratching the same itch as ME3MP

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Idk if anyone noticed but uh Neill Blomkamp just dropped a hashtag

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Yeah Apex and Anthem are very different games and while Apex may steal a little of the player base I don’t think it’s going to hurt Anthem. Pure PVP vs PVE loot rpg.

Apex is a quick snack you can have anytime of the day. Anthem is that big three course meal your gonna eat out and savor.

Im enjoying Apex but I am totally hyped for Anthem.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

https://mobile.twitter.com/NeillBlomkamp/status/1094966376534401024

I would fucken dig a Blomkamp Anthem movie.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah Apex and Anthem are very different games and while Apex may steal a little of the player base I don’t think it’s going to hurt Anthem. Pure PVP vs PVE loot rpg.

Apex is a quick snack you can have anytime of the day. Anthem is that big three course meal your gonna eat out and savor.

Im enjoying Apex but I am totally hyped for Anthem.

Also...thing is I have a lot of tryhard and non-tryhard friends.

And PvP is usually a bit intimidating for my non-tryhard friends(especially cause I'm a tryhard and get pretty competitive/salty at times). Good PvE can be nice for them as we can play together without as much pressure being put on them.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=wka5RovFEo8

Watch this space I guess

Bloomkamp has a great visual eye, but maybe someone else will write the actual story.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I've still got my preorder on Anthem, but I definitely anticipate Apex drawing some of my time away from it. If I hadn't convinced other people to buy Anthem before Apex dropped, I'd consider holding off on Anthem for a month because Apex is so good and Anthem's beta was so not good.

What is this I don't even.
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    If Apex does end up eating into Anthem's sales/cutting off its legs, thats a real smooth move by EA releasing it just weeks before Anthem.

Haha, you underestimate EA. They released Apex before BF5 could get their battle royale mode out the door.

A free battle royale against a struggling AAA title that was counting on its Battle Royale for incremental sales.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Elysium wasn't the movie I wanted it to be, but I will forever love him for District 9 and those short commercial things.

Haven't seen Chappie yet, so I can't speak to it either way. From others, I'm not expecting it to become my favourite movie, but I want to try to give it a fair chance all the same.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    God District 9 is just an incredible piece of film period

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I enjoyed both Elysium and Chappie, but I watched both with zero expectations.

Though Hugh’s stubbies in Chappie were a disgrace.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Oh, nice, it unlocks at 5ish on the 14th if you have PC Origin Access? I'm glad that even after being married for 10 years, we've never been the Valentine's Day type.

Are you the magic man?
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    It unlocks 11:30 here, so I guess I'll find a sudden reason to work remote after our weekly team lunch at work.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    El Mucho wrote: »
    I think it might be a fairly good play in the long run if Apex stays as popular. Apex is only available through origin so all EA has to do to get eyes on Anthem is have a title page on Origin launch with Anthem displayed. 10 million unique Apex players is no joke, if a fraction of those people see Anthem and think it looks cool that's a win.

EDIT: I just realized that the 10 million is spread across all platforms. But even still a good number of those players will be playing PC.

Apex's success has seriously goosed EA's stock price. Even though those gains are probably ephemeral, the fact that Apex exists and has the potential to be a major new ongoing revenue source should take a lot of pressure off of Anthem to succeed massively and immediately.

Except you know EA investors will be like "what? it didn't sell 15 million units and make 6 billion dollars in microtransactions this quarter? CLOSE STUDIO OR RIOT."

Given EA's history, I imagine both Respawn and BioWare knew/know that they have to make their game as good as possible to avoid catching the eye of their publisher as it sharpens its set of long knives.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Be nice if I can interceptor blade enemies while shouting “sleepy time” like chappie.

Just saying.

• KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    I preordered the game, but I guess I'm going to pick up Premier so I have something to play.

I've been playing warframe, but it doesn't feel the same.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    There's also the trial option on PC if someone who already is subscribed to Origin Access sends you an invite. You'll get 7 days of Origin Access Basic which is more than enough time to use up your 10 hours of time if you want to try the game out a little earlier. Anyone already subscribed can send this to up to 4 people if they haven't invited anyone before.

We should probably set up a list of people who want invites or possibly use the spreadsheet we already have and replace the "code requested" column with a "trial requested" column.

I changed up the signup sheet from the beta codes request to Access codes requested/fulfilled, if those of you with spare codes are feeling magnanimous.

• CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular

This sounds good, but Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker and Dragon Age: Redemption suggest they need a good writer.

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Where are you guys seeing the early access unlock time? All I've ever seen advertised is "Feb 15".

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    In origin, when you click on Anthem in your library it has a time and date for when you can pre-load and a time and date that it unlocks. For me in central Canada, it unlocks at 4:30 pm February 14th.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    10 hours is not going to be enough for these first 7 days

ObiFett wrote: »

I take solace in that I also have crackdown 3 and I played some apex legends with my nephew this morning so I have something to play.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    The youtube link I posted looks like it uploaded a thumbnail at least, so that dude on twitter I poached it from maybe isn't as crazy as I thought

Well the bioware announcement links to that page so yeah we can assume that's where the short will show up.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Question for the thread:

I bought a 2060 which should come with the choice of BFV or Anthem. I'm also planning to maybe grab an Origin Premier subscription for a month so that I can try out either game and figure out which one I want to spend my key on (it's probably going to be Anthem). As far as I know my 2060-granted Anthem key is the vanilla version, and the one granted by Origin Premier is the LoD version. Would that mean that I lose access to the Legion of Dawn items (don't even know what they are) as soon as my Premier sub lapses?

Also very excited to be able to build my computer on Saturday and play Anthem. I've added my OriginID to the spreadsheet and might send out some friend requests later on!

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Preacher wrote: »

I take solace in that I also have crackdown 3 and I played some apex legends with my nephew this morning so I have something to play.

Wait what...Crackdown 3 is finally getting released!?

Dragkonias on
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

Wait what...Crackdown 3 is finally getting released!?

Yep on the 15th even!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    finnith wrote: »
    Question for the thread:

I bought a 2060 which should come with the choice of BFV or Anthem. I'm also planning to maybe grab an Origin Premier subscription for a month so that I can try out either game and figure out which one I want to spend my key on (it's probably going to be Anthem). As far as I know my 2060-granted Anthem key is the vanilla version, and the one granted by Origin Premier is the LoD version. Would that mean that I lose access to the Legion of Dawn items (don't even know what they are) as soon as my Premier sub lapses?

Also very excited to be able to build my computer on Saturday and play Anthem. I've added my OriginID to the spreadsheet and might send out some friend requests later on!

According to this video here, you will lose pre-order bonuses and Legion of Dawn stuff if you have the basic version and let your Premier Subscription lapse, but you'll keep progress (so everything else).

I think that's the same for other games you get through Origin Premier - like Sims 4, you'll have all those expansions with the subscription, but if you only buy the standard game and quit the subscription, you'll be left with only the base game. I'm not sure how the implementation details work.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    I'm torn between "YES TEN HOUR TRIAL" and "yeah okay so you're gonna be so mad if you burn that this weekend".

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Yeah I think I just want to wait till the 22nd. I'd hate to start playing and get into the story only to get cut off for another week.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
This discussion has been closed.