As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    The time to kill is the thing that I am struggling with most. My brain has been conditioned to much much shorter TTKs and in a lot of fights I find myself sort of fumbling when players don't go down when expect them to. It's been a hard adjustment for me.

Also, in my opinion most of the weapons have too small a clip without attachments for the TTK. The SMGs are especially egregious.

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
    TTK seems... a lot shorter than most people are making it out to be. Assuming your bullets actually hit, folks go down pretty damn quick. Even the epic tier shield only, what, doubles your survivability?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Gave this a go this morning had a couple bridesmaid finishes with my nephew. It was fun even though I'm a liability when I play.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I played my first game of this today.

Died twice and did a total of 36 damage.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular

Sounds like you lasted longer and did more damage than your average first time player! Good job!

• Options

Honestly that was me as well. I've been playing the healer because that skill I understand though I got a pretty cool "epic" skin for the wraith who's powers I do not understand.

I think in like 10 matches I've gotten 8 kills maybe? And some of that was some serious scumming.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Sounds like there might be some sort of secret related to shooting the Nessy plushies scattered around the island (see dev comment): https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/apnm37/what_does_a_nessy_appears_mean_in_the_kill_feed?sort=confidence

I hope they do fun stuff with the map and ongoing events the way Fortnite does. The sheer pace of updates Epic has been doing is nuts, I'm hoping this game pulls in enough money for Respawn to do the same.

• Options
    So any beginner newb moron tips? Like who should I choose to not fuck up a team meta?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Honestly that was me as well. I've been playing the healer because that skill I understand though I got a pretty cool "epic" skin for the wraith who's powers I do not understand.

I think in like 10 matches I've gotten 8 kills maybe? And some of that was some serious scumming.

That is more than I had in my first 10 matches. I had, maybe 1? I honestly go most games without a kill. I still find the game fun despite sucking hard at it. I am more used to multiplayer shooters along the lines of Team Fortress 2 or Overwatch. The TTK on this is longer than most BRs, but still shorter than I am used to, and my aim kind of sucks.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Lifeline is a good starter. She gets heals and a defensive item supply drop Ult. If nothing else you can help your team out with heals and supplies if you're unsure if you can do much in the arena of shooting bad guys.

Alternatively, Gibraltar has been very good to me, his shield is a lifesaver for rezzing or tactical retreats. Note - the shield cannot be shot through by you or teammates, which is something I had to learn the hard way. His Ult is a really good mortar strike that lasts a good long time.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    Okay after playing Caustic some more I definitely feel that pairing him with Pathfinder is the way to go.

In addition to the zipline shananigans like I was hoping you have the time to get set up and not be reacting.

On the other hand, the two times we did get set up with a great position my teammates started firing off the rooftop to let the remaining 5 squads know exactly where we were and then jumped down to start shooting at them.

I have won more games with randoms than with not, but am I the only one with common sense? We're at the top of a tower, that they have to fight through toxic clouds of gas every step of the way to reach and you fucking jump down to mix it up with them?

It's been a week.

As the guy that keeps getting yelled at by people in these matches I cannot stress enough that.its.been.a.week. Most of the time I have no idea what I'm doing beyond trying to stay inside a circle and shoot other people that aren't on my team. I barely know what bullets go in what gun.

That doesn't fly since this is basic tactics and not something unique to apex.

I don't agree. Regardless of the genre similarities these games are all very different. Just look at your original post. You're talking about a specific team comp, involving two character's specific abilities.

Also, it's not a universal basic tactic as being on top of something very tall in, say, PUBG usually means you're sticking out like a sore thumb and are about to get sniped. I have over 400 hours in PUBG and still get overwhelmed by everything going on in Apex. Give people a break until it's been out a few months.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    cB557 wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    Say, that one upgrade that gives the peacekeeper a tighter spread and a charged shot. That goes on the triple tap too, doesn't it? Does it give the triple tap a charged shot as well?
    Update: It does.

Well, it lays the three shots of the Triple Tap on top of one another, so you do lose the spread. I'm not certain how comparable that would be to a Longbow.

It's not quite the straight upgrade the choke on the Peacekeeper is

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Preacher wrote: »
    So any beginner newb moron tips? Like who should I choose to not fuck up a team meta?

Lifeline is good if your team doesn't already have one. I also liked Wraith while I was learning because her tactical ability is a good "oh shit" button if you get caught out in the open, and her passive can give good tips if you pay attention to what she's saying. Pathfinder and Gibraltar seem like ones that benefit from a bit more game sense - the former because you'd have a better idea of where to grapple/zipline to, the latter because his dome shields block friendly fire too, so you need to know when to use it so you're not blocking ally kills.

You can climb vertical surfaces further than you might think, and the tutorial doesn't tell you this. It's not enough to get to the top of a one-story building unless you've got a crate or something to start from, but it is enough to climb onto the porch outside of a lot of builds without needing the stairs. Test it in practice, try climbing the rock faces and see what you can/can't get up

One thing I saw someone do today that I liked and I'm turning on when I get home is subtitles. The legends' party chatter is often quite helpful, they'll mention if the squad is getting too spread out, or if one ore more of you aren't inside the next ring, approximate run time to the next ring, etc. Subtitles can help make sure you don't miss any of these if there's a loud firefight/chatty person in voice coms. It also works with Wraith's passive, so you can see warnings about nearby enemies and such.

Use the ping system! It is so good. Definitely mark enemies you see, but also if you find good loot that you dont need, ping it so your squad can find it.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    Cruor wrote: »
    Lifeline is a good starter. She gets heals and a defensive item supply drop Ult. If nothing else you can help your team out with heals and supplies if you're unsure if you can do much in the arena of shooting bad guys.

Alternatively, Gibraltar has been very good to me, his shield is a lifesaver for rezzing or tactical retreats. Note - the shield cannot be shot through by you or teammates, which is something I had to learn the hard way. His Ult is a really good mortar strike that lasts a good long time.

Ooh I should try gibraltar.

I do like the peacemaker shotty and the wingman? Still trying to find my way with weapons. This game doesn't do like gun loot rarity right? When I pick up a peacemaker aside from mods that's the best peacemaker I'm going to find?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I got into a situation that really grinded my gears last night. We drop in, Jump leader marks where were going, nope 3rd guy says bye and splits off like halfway across the map. Then we land...right next to another team, they beat us to gun and we both are dead.

"Don't expect me to come rez you"

Well...fuck off dude.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    This game is great but I'm having some real compatibility issues with it. Working through em. Looks like Windows Defender doesn't play nice with Origin, so there's some changes I made I'm gonna need to test tonight, probably won't accept invites from people because of how unstable it is.

RTX drivers are buggier than I had initially thought.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    @Rius sorry for dropping out that last game, there's definitely something going on here.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    GlyphGryph wrote: »
    TTK seems... a lot shorter than most people are making it out to be. Assuming your bullets actually hit, folks go down pretty damn quick. Even the epic tier shield only, what, doubles your survivability?

Just one man's perspective: TTK in Destiny, which is what I'm most recently used to, is around .8-1 seconds for non one hit kill weapons if you shoot well and frankly in that game shots are easier to land. It feels to me like shots are harder to land in Apex, and people can survive for multiple seconds under sustained fire with the right armor and some shifty movement, and multiple seconds is a damn eternity when you know everyone has squad-mates around.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

Just one man's perspective: TTK in Destiny, which is what I'm most recently used to, is around .8-1 seconds for non one hit kill weapons if you shoot well and frankly in that game shots are easier to land. It feels to me like shots are harder to land in Apex, and people can survive for multiple seconds under sustained fire with the right armor and some shifty movement, and multiple seconds is a damn eternity when you know everyone has squad-mates around.

TTK is also A LOT longer than most other BRs. In PubG and Fortnite OHKs are the norm.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Going from Titanfall to this, I keep trying to stubbornly make the Alternator work as it’s a beast in the other game. In this you just kinda flounder.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

TTK is also A LOT longer than most other BRs. In PubG and Fortnite OHKs are the norm.

Yeah and the game is certainly better for it. Though I do expect them to fiddle with TTK for a bit to find that sweet spot as I personally feel like the TTK is a smidge to long.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

Yeah and the game is certainly better for it. Though I do expect them to fiddle with TTK for a bit to find that sweet spot as I personally feel like the TTK is a smidge to long.

The TTK is a bit too long up until it isn't. Sometimes you just go from full health/shields to dead in a matter of a second. I think it'll naturally shift lower once people find the weapons that consistently work for them and generally get a handle on the gunplay.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    squall99x wrote: »
    Okay after playing Caustic some more I definitely feel that pairing him with Pathfinder is the way to go.

In addition to the zipline shananigans like I was hoping you have the time to get set up and not be reacting.

On the other hand, the two times we did get set up with a great position my teammates started firing off the rooftop to let the remaining 5 squads know exactly where we were and then jumped down to start shooting at them.

I have won more games with randoms than with not, but am I the only one with common sense? We're at the top of a tower, that they have to fight through toxic clouds of gas every step of the way to reach and you fucking jump down to mix it up with them?

It's been a week.

As the guy that keeps getting yelled at by people in these matches I cannot stress enough that.its.been.a.week. Most of the time I have no idea what I'm doing beyond trying to stay inside a circle and shoot other people that aren't on my team. I barely know what bullets go in what gun.

I mean, it is possible that some of these people have never played a BR game before and most PvP games don't really prioritize you holding your shots to not give away your position nearly as much - they reward chasing the kill way more.

BR games have been around for more than a week. Apex isn't breaking new ground, it's polishing the older concepts. An individual can be completely inexperienced, but then the best play is to follow suit with your teammate that looks like he knows what he's doing.

I understand what you are saying but I just feel like you aren't putting yourself in the shoes of someone who is truly new to the genre. Baseball has been around a really long time - but if its my first time playing I'm not automatically going to understand the rules - let alone understand any type of nuance as to what decision to make in a given moment or circumstance. Do I walk this guy intentionally? Do I bunt to move a runner? Etc. etc. It's easy to say "Just don't be dumb and do what other people are doing" But if you don't *understand* why people are doing what they are doing it doesn't have any real value.

I'm not faulting people who are novices. Everyone starts out bad before they get good. I'm faulting people trying to brush off their failures as "oh, the games just a week old lol" when their missplays are 101 basics and not game specific. These people need to own up to their shortcomings. They didn't get caught with their pants down because the game is a week old, they got caught with their pants down because they split off from their team. That's entirely their fault, so don't go trying to deflect it away.

It's OK to be new, it's OK to make mistakes, it's OK to be bad. So long as you recognize what mistake you made and strive to avoid making those mistakes again. That is how one "gits gud. " By acknowledging your mistakes and working to correct them. But when you refuse to acknowledge your mistakes and try to deflect responsibility away with some kind of unrelated excuse like "the game is new, that's the reason that why I abandoned a fortified position to fight in the open", then you're on the road to being the eternal baddie who deserves every ounce of flak sent his way.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

The TTK is a bit too long up until it isn't. Sometimes you just go from full health/shields to dead in a matter of a second. I think it'll naturally shift lower once people find the weapons that consistently work for them and generally get a handle on the gunplay.

Couple that with the fact that everyone is in teams and can teamfire and the TTK being long is very good for the combat situation, imo

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular

The biggest thing is that you need to make a mental change in your head of what it means to have someone dead to rights. If I'm playing something like red orchestra, then being able guarantee as little as one or two bullets on target will drop someone where they stand. In something like the battlefield games, then you've got someone dead to rights once you can guarantee 5 or 6 bullets on target with two or three good bursts. But in apex, most automatic weapons are gonna need in the ballpark of ten to twelve shots on target. On top of that the target is gonna start slipping and sliding around once the first few tenths of a second are up. So to kill him at range, then you really either need to have caught him beautifully in your sights with no where to run or else you need to open fire in concert with a teammate to drop people twice or thrice as fast. High ttks give huge incentive towards murderballing with your team.

Utilizing some backloaded damage can also help drop him in a short window once the bullets start flying. Chuck a grenade or arcstar at the unaware foe and then open up on him. The explosion should help finish them off.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options

Couple that with the fact that everyone is in teams and can teamfire and the TTK being long is very good for the combat situation, imo

Entirely. It's why one of my favorite ways to play is to have my squadmates trade shots from mid range while I pop my Bloodhound ult and go cleanup with the wingman.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

It's been a week.

I mean, it is possible that some of these people have never played a BR game before and most PvP games don't really prioritize you holding your shots to not give away your position nearly as much - they reward chasing the kill way more.

BR games have been around for more than a week. Apex isn't breaking new ground, it's polishing the older concepts. An individual can be completely inexperienced, but then the best play is to follow suit with your teammate that looks like he knows what he's doing.

I understand what you are saying but I just feel like you aren't putting yourself in the shoes of someone who is truly new to the genre. Baseball has been around a really long time - but if its my first time playing I'm not automatically going to understand the rules - let alone understand any type of nuance as to what decision to make in a given moment or circumstance. Do I walk this guy intentionally? Do I bunt to move a runner? Etc. etc. It's easy to say "Just don't be dumb and do what other people are doing" But if you don't *understand* why people are doing what they are doing it doesn't have any real value.

I'm not faulting people who are novices. Everyone starts out bad before they get good. I'm faulting people trying to brush off their failures as "oh, the games just a week old lol" when their missplays are 101 basics and not game specific. These people need to own up to their shortcomings. They didn't get caught with their pants down because the game is a week old, they got caught with their pants down because they split off from their team. That's entirely their fault, so don't go trying to deflect it away.

It's OK to be new, it's OK to make mistakes, it's OK to be bad. So long as you recognize what mistake you made and strive to avoid making those mistakes again. That is how one "gits gud. " By acknowledging your mistakes and working to correct them. But when you refuse to acknowledge your mistakes and try to deflect responsibility away with some kind of unrelated excuse like "the game is new, that's the reason that why I abandoned a fortified position to fight in the open", then you're on the road to being the eternal baddie who deserves every ounce of flak sent his way.

You're kind of doing exactly what I put in the bolded. The game is new. Let people figure it out. There is no genetic ancestral knowledge for how to play battle royale games.

Also, I reject the very premise that people even need to be striving to get better at these games. I play for about 20-30 minutes the odd evening I have time to play so I can wind down and relax/have fun before heading to bed. There's nothing about this that I'm taking seriously as it occupies about .25% of my life. If someone on my team wants to offer productive advice to help while I'm playing then great! If they start going off like some sort of grizzled Apex arsehole vet after a single week of it being released well I'm just going to turn their voice right the fuck off.

Again, "the game is new" is not an unrelated excuse as the game is still just a week old. You have a skewed perspective because you're too deep in it at the moment.

• Options
    GOT ONE!!!! I literally drug my two other newbie squad mates to a champion!!! I did it on life line and got like a yellow shotgun off someone called a "devastator?" and finished the match with a triple tap sniper shot? I'm still buzzing but I GOT ONE WOOO APEX CHAMPION RIGHT HERE!!!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I’ve won two so far, one I was absolutely carried by a team that revived me twice and respawned me once while I contributed a total of 120 damage and zero kills (most of my time was spent trying to gear up/catch up to them). The other was a bit more balanced, but the win caught me off guard as I was too caught up in the fight to notice that there was only one other squad left. I finished off two downed enemies with an incendiary grenade and then turned to look for the other only to see them trying to sneak up behind me and just kind of reflexively sprayed them with an smg and suddenly CHAMPION filled my screen

• Options
    I do love that respawning mechanic. Like with my victory (dusts shoulder toots horn jerks himself raw) I respawned 3 teammates. One from a full wipe just by running around instead of rushing right to pick up a teammate. I think that mechanic brings a lot to the genre that I just started playing today and am now a full expert on fo show.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Most guns can Ttk a full 200 in a second. Much less if you headshot

It’s just really hard to actually hit those shots. And clip sizes mean you often need to reload mid fight

It’s a weird place Ttk wise where it’s high but only via difficulty of landing shots

616610-1.png
  • Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    According to the wiki, it's a little slower than that most of the time link

Only 3 weapons can deal 200+ body damage per second: the Mastiff (the legendary shotgun), the R-99 submachine gun, and the Devotion (energy LMG at full fire rate). Otherwise, most weapons seem to deal 130-ish to 160-ish DPS. The Longbow, Kraber, and Triple-Take are all long-range snipers and aren't really meant for close-range fighting, so their comparatively low DPS is compensated by range. The most lackluster weapon is the P2020, the basic semi-auto pistol, at a mere 86 DPS and only a 1.5x multiplier on headshots.

Likewise, the Peacekeeper has low DPS compared to other weapons, but it's all burst - you can hide between shots and so it's got some really safe damage. With everything else, you gotta stay out from cover to get that damage to pop up.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    finishing in the top 5 pretty regularly so I'm happy with that but I can't seem to get many outright kills.
    I think I need more weapon configuration experience :/

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Something I'm learning and I think other folks should learn to is like if you in a middle of a firefight and its messy and your teammates go down...just clear the area first...going for the revive is a bit too risky unless your opponents are camping and not pursuing.

Like if you're Lifeline maybe you could risk it but otherwise nah.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    https://i.redd.it/p2e27dwgnjf21.png

Here's the full damage chart. Full body DPS is one thing, but I bet on average you're going to splash in a few headshots in there.

I think helmets tend to not have a lot of legibility in a fight, and they can really swing the outcome of a fight.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    asofyeun wrote: »
    According to the wiki, it's a little slower than that most of the time link

Only 3 weapons can deal 200+ body damage per second: the Mastiff (the legendary shotgun), the R-99 submachine gun, and the Devotion (energy LMG at full fire rate). Otherwise, most weapons seem to deal 130-ish to 160-ish DPS. The Longbow, Kraber, and Triple-Take are all long-range snipers and aren't really meant for close-range fighting, so their comparatively low DPS is compensated by range. The most lackluster weapon is the P2020, the basic semi-auto pistol, at a mere 86 DPS and only a 1.5x multiplier on headshots.

Likewise, the Peacekeeper has low DPS compared to other weapons, but it's all burst - you can hide between shots and so it's got some really safe damage. With everything else, you gotta stay out from cover to get that damage to pop up.

I suppose it’s a little slower. But sub 1 body Ttk on a full shielded character on any gun is pretty low Ttk coming from like destiny. And a lot of guns fall just above that. Ttk is actually very similar to current destiny 2.

But the other factor is Helmer’s giving diminishing returns on headshots. So while maybe you can get that down by 30-50% chances are it’s only 15-25% lower.

Still the main difference to me is how much more difficult it is to land those shots. And that low clip sizes make it tougher to kill with no reload (which is why spitfire is so good!)

616610-1.png
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Anyone more knowledgeable about graphics than me, what settings give the biggest difference in what I see on screen? On my 1060 I'm getting good frames at 1080p, but figure it's worth seeing if some settings drops I'd barely notice anyway, if it gives me a bit more headroom in big fire fights.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Well okay, maybe TTK is weird or maybe it is just accuracy or maybe it is something else entirely or a combination of things. Who knows?

What I do know is that when I play the game I got this niggling feeling in the back of my head that is telling me something is off. I don't know what, but I can't shake the feeling.

This shouldn't be taken as a condemnation of the game. The game is great fun and a real surprise treat.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Finally broke down and installed Origin to play this - Glad that I did. It's considerably more polished than any other BR I've ever seen, and I really dig the quality of life mechanics.

Unfortunately, despite having experience with the BR genre, I suck probably harder than anyone else playing the game.

Honestly, over the past three days, it's been the same story: Spend 5-15 minutes looting and setting up a good position with my squad, being tactical in our movement, ensuring we're all kitted out - And then getting utterly ranched inside of 10 seconds. It doesn't matter if I'm packing level three armor and a Peacekeeper with the choke mod, with a Wingman at my hip. I've even had the high ground and the element of surprise on an opponent, and been the one to initiate a fight. I just get dissolved in a matter of moments. Still haven't even survived a single engagement after three days.

It's a bit weird to me, seeing as I still play a lot of twitch gameplay FPS for fun and do decently enough there. Something about Apex is just, nope, I suck and can't do anything about it. I'm always the first corpse in a fight.

Still a fun and gorgeous game, though. The fact that I'm still going back to it, even though my experience is that I can't effectively play it, is a testament to how well made the game feels.

If you find you're almost always just playing Skyrim (picking up everything) before losing a gun fight... Start dropping into the hot combat zones immediately, or go looking for fights more often. You need to just practice the fights and the plays to get comfortable with them.

What is this I don't even.