As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Forget your New Year's diet in the [Bad Food] thread

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    So a few years ago in Austin I randomly had lunch at a place called Banger's, which is a German sausage house and beer garden. Tons of great house-made sausages topped with house-made sauerkraut and a house-made whole grain mustard that will absolutely blow the lid off your dome, and about a bajillion taps of various great beers.

Much to my delight, they're still around, so I swung by there for lunch today. It was still as delicious as it was in 2016.

i19mo93sxfjr.jpg
    ko7zxtmbsbd4.jpg

I, uh, may have purchased 3 jars of their mustard and UPS'd them home to myself. Maybe. A little bit.

German food is so dangerous for my family.
    My wife would eat soft pretzels and beer for every meal if she was allowed.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    So a few years ago in Austin I randomly had lunch at a place called Banger's, which is a German sausage house and beer garden. Tons of great house-made sausages topped with house-made sauerkraut and a house-made whole grain mustard that will absolutely blow the lid off your dome, and about a bajillion taps of various great beers.

Much to my delight, they're still around, so I swung by there for lunch today. It was still as delicious as it was in 2016.

i19mo93sxfjr.jpg
    ko7zxtmbsbd4.jpg

I, uh, may have purchased 3 jars of their mustard and UPS'd them home to myself. Maybe. A little bit.

A woman of impeccable taste.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

i19mo93sxfjr.jpg
    ko7zxtmbsbd4.jpg

And impeccable farts, no doubt.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »

i19mo93sxfjr.jpg
    ko7zxtmbsbd4.jpg

And impeccable farts, no doubt.

Legendary

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Mmmmpasta w/ meatballs. So good. So damn cheap.

Kaplar on
  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular

i19mo93sxfjr.jpg
    ko7zxtmbsbd4.jpg

Had a bratwurst with sauerkraut and mustard, house made kettle chips, and warsteiner dunkel when I went to Disney. I think I could have that meal forever.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Yo Bangers used to have the most killer hangover cure at their Sunday brunches - it was like a pile of french fries covered in barbecued brisket and fried egg - maybe cheese too? - with some pickled stuff on the side. God it was good.

It doesn't look like it's on the menu anymore, which is tragic, although they do have french fries covered in steak and eggs still I guess.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Well, that certainly looks... hearty

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    Oh hey "bad" "food" thread.

I tried balut while I was on holiday in Vietnam.

I guess it's all the rage there as a snack.

Spoilers for pic of, y'know, balut:
    a5D58i4l.jpg

It was okay, honestly? Except visually it is Extremely Upsetting and I won't be eating it again for that reason.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yo Bangers used to have the most killer hangover cure at their Sunday brunches - it was like a pile of french fries covered in barbecued brisket and fried egg - maybe cheese too? - with some pickled stuff on the side. God it was good.

It doesn't look like it's on the menu anymore, which is tragic, although they do have french fries covered in steak and eggs still I guess.

I'll bet you a thousand bucks they'd still make that for you as long as they have the ingredients on hand. Those guys are awesome.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Having now had 1.5 days of eating the food around here again, I really wish the politics of Texas as a whole weren't so misaligned with my personal beliefs because I really fucking love Austin.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I can't tell what that photo is. Is it fish?

Mine?

Balut is a fertilised and partially developed duck egg that you then boil and eat.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Oh. Hmm.

Edit: Is the yellow thing the yolk? and the rest is the proto-duck? I thought it was fish with some kind of pastry.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    E.Coyote wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned the Snickers coffee creamer yet?

I've had it. really its just an overly sweet chocolate caramel flavor. nothing special.

The Reeses Peanut butter cups one is better i think.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    The best coffee creamer is Bailey's.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    The best coffee creamer is Bailey's.

I'm a rumchata lass, personally

Who here is too good to have put Rumplemintz into their coffe, though?

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I dont drink coffee or alcohol but if I did Id probably have an espresso with vodka every morning.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    I dont drink coffee or alcohol but if I did Id probably have an espresso with vodka every morning.

So, what made you want to work in education in the first place?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Irish Coffee is good

I don't drink it too often , I need to get a bottle of whiskey for home

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I am hungry but the idea of eating a cold cut sandwich or any other "Cold" type meal makes my stomach curl right now i want something warm and hearty but my family is actively preventing me from cooking food right now so it's "Cold food or starve."

I feel like biting. This is a weird feeling because i physically want to bite somebody the whole thing is making me this cranky

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    I am hungry but the idea of eating a cold cut sandwich or any other "Cold" type meal makes my stomach curl right now i want something warm and hearty but my family is actively preventing me from cooking food right now so it's "Cold food or starve."

I feel like biting. This is a weird feeling because i physically want to bite somebody the whole thing is making me this cranky

Tell them you want/need something hot, and either they make or get it for you, or you WILL do it yourself.

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I have discovered that a village in Japan makes crackers with whole wasps baked in

BugBoy and I are delighted by this

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »

Are you maybe a bit itchy?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    4 Itchy tasty.

The compromise to the "It's too hot to run the oven right now." was to set a fire and cook hotdogs over it outside. It's good very tasty very warm in my belly

• the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Balut is just unthinkable.

gonna go ahead and yuck that yum. fuck...

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    the cheat wrote: »

So.. do you just swallow it, or chew it up bones and all?

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    E.Coyote wrote: »
    the cheat wrote: »

So.. do you just swallow it, or chew it up bones and all?

Gotta chew it up for that cronch.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Ahhhhhhhhh

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    But did the balut have surprise hot dogs

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I bet some hotdogs have surprise balut.

edited February 2019
    It isn't very crunchy. Only a little... textured differently from a hard-boiled egg. I realize I'm probably horrifying people by describing it, though.

I didn't have any surprise hot dogs in Vietnam at all, although I did have surprise NOT a hot dog at a bar - looked like a corn dog, ended up being ground pork and prawn. Go figure. (also technically less nice for me since I don't eat prawn as a rule.)

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Oh hey "bad" "food" thread.

I tried balut while I was on holiday in Vietnam.

I guess it's all the rage there as a snack.

Spoilers for pic of, y'know, balut:
    a5D58i4l.jpg

It was okay, honestly? Except visually it is Extremely Upsetting and I won't be eating it again for that reason.

Yep, that’s balut.

My usual go to is “if it tastes good it is food now”, but on this one I think I’m with you

plus also this includes things like anti-freeze, which is definitely a sometimes food if ever there was one, right?

Antifreeze is useful only as a garnish, tbqh.

• kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    I had balut once. You can get them at different stages. 18 day doesn't have any bones, 19 day has the developed cartilage that will develop into bones, etc. Don't quote me on the days, but that's how it works.

There was an H-Mart (Korean market) around the corner from me over on Garden Grove Blvd (in, oddly enough, Garden Grove, CA) that I'd buy fresh noodles, kimchi, veggies, sauces, etc from. I swung over, intending to get a bowl of Pho and then do some shopping when I noticed they were having some kind of food fair out front.

I ended up getting an oyster pancake/omelet (kind of a cross between the two, but with oysters and other stuff), a slice of durian fruit, and a balut egg. I'd never wanted to go out of my way to try balut, but once I was there, I figured 'why not?'. It wasn't boiled... it was cooked in a big wok full of sand.

Had my food, and noticed that there were two sitting areas set up, with one of them displaying a big sign that said 'NO DURIAN'.

So I headed over to the other sitting area and ended up eating my lunch with a Filipina couple about my age and discussed cultural food differences. The oyster pancake/omelet was delicious. The balut was... not bad. I used soy sauce as the seasoning and it kind of overpowered anything else, but there was nothing offputting about it at all. The durian was something I still have dreams about. I so wish I could get durian out here in AZ. Just magnificent.

Anyhow, I won't go out of my way to have balut again, but if the chance pops up again I won't immediately avoid it. I'll consider it.

Yeah. Far and away the appearance/concept is the most upsetting thing about it, at least unless it's further developed - I believe I've also heard similarly (that you can buy them at different stages).

I looove durian except for the fact that it gives you durian burps for hours after eating it. If I could banish those I'd probably eat it all the time during the season. But Mangosteen and soursop remain reigning champions of tropical fruits.

You know who else SUPER LOVES eating durian? @Veldrin

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    You know, I was thinking of getting into eating ortolan, just as like, a regular thing.

This discussion has been closed.