As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wargroove] The Advance Wars game we've waited 10 years for!

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    oh wow, just hit act 3 mission 3 with the new flying type and yikes.

3-3 really wants you to use air units to quickly back up Mercia’s party and shut down the bombers murdering her. Set up a choke on Nuru using pikemen and a trebuchet and ballista which slow pushes the south villages and then rescue Mercia with a wagon.

Yeah this is one of those moments where i did wish for a checkpoint or undo last turn thing because i lost by having my commander on the road to that special unit that shows up that does critical damage to units on the road. it was 2am so even though i had read the information it hadn't really processed. Anyhow, i had decimated the enemy but that one unit just caught up and one shot muru (nuru?).

Noggin wrote: »
    I have another attempt in progress that seems to be going more smoothly, so my guess is that this game favors keeping your army relatively packed together?

I had been splitting off to go after both villages at once, so my puppers had little backup and my attacking units had little variety. I'd lose vision, then either get ambushed or threatened by something that group was weak against. There were also some turns where I figured I'd buy nothing and then a big unit, but it seems much better to always make something. Like, "Pass + Trebuchet" vs. "Pikeman + Pikeman + Trebuchet" only delays the big guy 1 turn and gives me two more units.

this is true, when in doubt, make a pikeman. Also, taking a city with a weekend unit is better than not taking it at all. The AI will usually attack the city and then either give you the opportunity to take it again or you can always bombard it with a treb later.

Sounds like you are figuring it out but there were a few levels that i kind of just squeaked by with brute force.

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    So yup, those things made a huge difference. Still only B rank, but I see now that I was being too cautious toward the end.

I tried the arcade mode too, which seems pretty fun. :+1:

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Act 5 can go fuck a chainsaw so far. I get it they start with 90% of the map already owned but does it have to be like that every freaking map?

• KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    So this mission in the marsh lands with limited units (3-1?) is really not my sort of thing. I feel I’m gonna have to play this over and over till I learn where the guys appear from and how to efficiently defeat them. Not my idea of fun.

Kriegaffe wrote: »
    So this mission in the marsh lands with limited units (3-1?) is really not my sort of thing. I feel I’m gonna have to play this over and over till I learn where the guys appear from and how to efficiently defeat them. Not my idea of fun.

is that the ghost one? Have to use money to heal when it's really needed.

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    With that one I just sprinted towards the end sacrificing my other units once I got to the last checkpoint. Though it is quite rough and one of the least pleasant missions I've done so far.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular

Yeah, I’d figured that out, but I still messed up and got half my guys killed. I think next time I’m gonna lead with my champion since he’s toughest and regens, then only move my other guys in for mopping up.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Are there any DL maps (or provided in-game ones) that are good for SUPER quick 1v1 matches that anyone can recommend? I brought my Switch to show a friend the game tonight and we wound up picking an OK sized map. Just wondering if there are TINY maps for quick fights. (Also, I'm still learning the game and he didn't know anything so it would've taken long either way...just curious for future plays.)

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • MassenaMassena Registered User regular

Yeah, I’d figured that out, but I still messed up and got half my guys killed. I think next time I’m gonna lead with my champion since he’s toughest and regens, then only move my other guys in for mopping up.

The key for me was to group your units tightly together, pop the ghost, then move as a group toward the individual enemies and pick them off one at a time (more or less). That mission made me focus on three things:
    1) using protective shield offensively (alchemists crit when their in a spot with +3 defense)
    2) using a commander (who regens) to take the first pop on a full strength bad guy, and using a secondary unit to finish him without taking a return shot)
    3) the Alchemist heal covers 5 squares (center, and up/down/left/right) so you can get a LOT more bang for buck using it to heal multiple units with a single go.

But yeah, it wasn't very fun and I walked away for a bit on the mission where you protect Mercia from the bombers.

Is there a turn by turn save I'm just missing? Having to re-do some of these longer missions because you made a bad move on turn 30 is just a slog and will probably kill this game for me.

act 4, part 1 threw me for a loop. you start out seriously imbalanced. My normal rush strategy backfired as my commander was quickly surrounded. I like that the missions get variable. Some are definitely more tedious (getting Mercia to safety took me 3 tries) but it's a nice change up. I am surprised i haven't had fog of war in a while though.

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    As much as this is a heady shot of nostalgia, I hope someone makes an AdvanceWars-like with a strong dose of Into the Breach at some point.

Into the Breach had so many smart improvements to the units on squares strategy genre that people really need to start being inspired by/stealing.

As much as this is a heady shot of nostalgia, I hope someone makes an AdvanceWars-like with a strong dose of Into the Breach at some point.

Into the Breach had so many smart improvements to the units on squares strategy genre that people really need to start being inspired by/stealing.

yes ItB is top tier. Like many of the quality of life stuff that the Bravely Default series did for RPGs.

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

I'm thinking of Phantom Brigade. Still in development.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XtolvOiSwU

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    lack of any sort of checkpoints or even an undo is a bit frustrating. undo especially because i understand why it isn't there (being able to undo unit moves after setting up criticals) but i feel like you could still make it work so i don't have to bang my head against my desk whenever i move->wait and didn't want to

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    My personal desire is for a game to rip off Infinity's reaction orders so the turn based turns into active and reactive player.

But mostly Wargroove does what it needs to and I don't think I'd want it to go more ItBish.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    VC4 completed! Nothing stands in the way between me and Wargroove! Bwa ha ha ha ha!!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    3-3 is super easy once you realize it has an alternative win condition. Mercia's units are perfectly capable of full coverage on the bottom left two spawn points, so send over some fliers, trigger Sigrid to spawn, and kill her the same turn.

Mission done!

GlyphGryph on
    whats this about sigrid spawning? i never saw her in 3-3

P10 wrote: »
    lack of any sort of checkpoints or even an undo is a bit frustrating. undo especially because i understand why it isn't there (being able to undo unit moves after setting up criticals) but i feel like you could still make it work so i don't have to bang my head against my desk whenever i move->wait and didn't want to

It's pretty glaring since the late game campaign frequently has a lot of time spent slowly grinding through the mountain of free units the AI gets and late game units likes dragons can be pretty damn deadly towards your commander. So far I'm partway through Act 5 and have only lost my commander twice, but each time has been incredibly frustrating to have to start again.

P10 wrote: »
    whats this about sigrid spawning? i never saw her in 3-3

Maybe you just, uh... didn't notice her trying to personally murder you? She spawns in the same place you start so I suppose it would be possible to miss it if you were moving quick.

maybe it has to do with the triggers for spawning her breaking if mercia is in a wagon

she spawns when she speaks about having to hunt you down (i think the second time she speaks). It's also after the second fell flyer thing has spawned or right around that point. She never should get close to you if you are moving. I definitely want to go back and try to kill Sigrid now...

Also the puzzle challenges are really great up until like the 5th or 6th one with Mercia the second time. There's just too much on the screen with no quick way to retry stuff. I get that some people can stare at stuff and mentally figure out how all the pieces need to move but i prefer to visualize it and having to resign and reload the mission over and over to try different things is really painful. Just give me one quick save/load button, just one slot would make a difference.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    she spawns when she speaks about having to hunt you down (i think the second time she speaks). It's also after the second fell flyer thing has spawned or right around that point. She never should get close to you if you are moving. I definitely want to go back and try to kill Sigrid now...

Plot armor is a thing in this game, it's likely that she'll just take zero damage. I tried to take Valder the first mission you meet him(where you first get wagons) and you can't hurt him at all.

edited February 2019
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Plot armor is a thing in this game, it's likely that she'll just take zero damage. I tried to take Valder the first mission you meet him(where you first get wagons) and you can't hurt him at all.

Valder has plot armor (specifically, his gauntlet is supposed to make him undefeatable personally but then the game sort of... forgot about that?) but Sigrid absolutely doesn't. She went down in one turn like a chump and I won the mission.

And yeah, it's very possible a wagoned Mercia would make the triggers fail to fire, that could definitely be it.

GlyphGryph on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    There's no reason the game couldn't have an undo button for moves, at least.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

Fog of War complicates this, they'd have to block reveals if they let you undo until you hit some sort of point of no reversal. That said, I would really love an undo move, or a better way like in Fire Emblem where you can push a button and see the entire enemy force's movement/attack range at a glance.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Fog of War complicates this, they'd have to block reveals if they let you undo until you hit some sort of point of no reversal. That said, I would really love an undo move, or a better way like in Fire Emblem where you can push a button and see the entire enemy force's movement/attack range at a glance.

Or just some autosaves throughout a mission. I don't mind not having an undo button. I STRONGLY mind my commander getting ambushed by newly spawned things on turn 25 or whatever. Being able to go back even just every 5 turns would cut down on a TON of the replay crap that functionally killed this game for me.

edited February 2019
    I just want it to have a different button for "end turn" than the button for "select unit".

Whose bright idea was THAT nonsense. Accidentally ending a vital turn late in a game is the worst.

Also speaking of jumping back turns, this game has given me a colossal hankering for Wesnoth and I think I might have to redownload it. I might have to mod in a dog commander though.

GlyphGryph on
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    GlyphGryph wrote: »
    I just want it to have a different button for "end turn" than the button for "select unit".

Whose bright idea was THAT nonsense. Accidentally ending a vital turn late in a game is the worst.

In the 'short term' development plans:
    • The ability to skip battle scenes more quickly. With various options on how this will work.
    • The ability to force fast map movement to ‘always on’.
    • Tooltips and more info for the effective/vulnerable charts.
    • In multiplayer, the host will be able to fill open spots with CPU players.
    • Display S rank requirements. (Tip for now, it’s always based on number of turns.)
    • Make it more difficult to accidentally end a turn.
    • Multiplayer Lobby improvements

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

They'd have to only reveal fog of war when you commit to the move or something, yeah. It would add a stage.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'm adoring this game, I don't know the map number but I'm basically just done with all the stuff in the Gloomwoods. The only mission I've had to restart was the very brief spar with Nuru.

But I am dreading the point where it gets more difficult and I will have to start maps over. Completing any level seems like it always takes about an hour.

PSN: Honkalot
    Despite the issues I've been enjoying the game, though some missions do occasionally make me sigh. Basically any mission where you have a limited number of units you start with and have to try and maintain is just anti-fun. Particularly I recently got to the third Caeser side-mission, saw what it wanted me to do, saw how long the enemy turns would take and how many units they had, and I just abandoned the mission. I could do it, but it would be tedious as fuck and it would be very easy to make a mistake and lose Caeser and just... nope. Not doing it.

edited February 2019
    Holy crap, got to the side-mission that unlocks Sigrid for Arcade mode. That is... not great. It's very maneagable until the very end, where it just shits a ton of expensive naval units at you. I can't imagine succeeding at it without knowing what's coming ahead of time, which for a mission that can take upwards of a damn hour is kind of frustrating.

I would rather not really waste another hour and fuck up again so I guess I'll look up a strategy? Or maybe just drop enemy damage to abysmal levels. Man, the good will the game built up early on is really starting to wear thin for me if that's gonna be the new normal.

Not sure if that counts as a spoiler, but to be safe I spoilered it.

Iblis on
    edited February 2019
    Ooof, finally hit a mission that's really giving me heartburn. 4-2. Anyone have suggestions on how to manage it?
    Heavensong getting a dragon at turn 6 is fucking rude as hell.

edit: spoilered mission event

Naphtali on
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Can we spoiler mission surprises?

Of course, sorry about that.

Ooof, finally hit a mission that's really giving me heartburn. 4-2. Anyone have suggestions on how to manage it?

just remember the basics, don't stand on roads, mages kill flyers (or a ballista but thats $$$), and your hero can take a lot of hits from even a dragon as long as not on a road

just remember the basics, don't stand on roads, mages kill flyers (or a ballista but thats $$$), and your hero can take a lot of hits from even a dragon as long as not on a road
    My first instinct was to scatter and try and grab as much economy as possible, but that ended up leaving my mages and archers scattered during their push. I would have probably survived the initial assault minus that dragon. Just not really sure what to do differently besides obviously not trying to block them on the bridges. Maybe rush a trebuchet? AI seems to really aggressively avoid going in their range.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Finally got to start the game last night! Gonna take me a while to get used to the UI after so much FE/AW. And oof do things go SLOW! I like the animations, but they might have to go in order to speed things up a bit.

But hey, I'm only 2 maps in so there's a lot to see still.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page