As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Blizzard to restore Classics: Diablo 2 Resurrected September 23rd!

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I think the thought, and I honestly don't know how true this is, is that Overwatch is failing to drive continued fiscal growth. Like fewer people are playing as they go to other games, so fewer people are buying loot boxes.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I cant imagine an overwatch sequel happening, at least not for several more years, mostly because I can't imagine what they would put into that would make me want to buy it

Characters come out at a good pace and the game is well balanced even though my favorite hero needs buffs and the hero that kills me is degenerate and every single balance patch makes dva completely irrelevant for real this time

Aslo custom content will probablg never be coming to overwatch because typically player made content is pretty bad and blizzard seems intent on having overwatch be a mostly curated experience which I think has worked pretty well so far

The story is the only thing I think they could get people to buy but overwatchs story is just "oh thats neat" when its in shorts, I don't think anything about is actually compelling enough to carry a full game

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I think the thought, and I honestly don't know how true this is, is that Overwatch is failing to drive continued fiscal growth. Like fewer people are playing as they go to other games, so fewer people are buying loot boxes.

Overwatch certainly has a different business model, being more in line with Diablo than HotS, HS or WoW. You buy a 60 dollar game upfront and you are guaranteed every character and map for free. They lure in micropurchases for loot boxes, but veteran players are less concerned about cosmetics.

I no longer have a reason to spend money on the game unless they pull a WoW and start selling meaty campaigns.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    I don't think BR would have been the right play for Overwatch. It would have to be a fundamentally different game on every conceivable level. Like even the basic idea of picking up new guns is not how Overwatch works, they would need to start there. If they were of a mind to try new game modes I think there are a lot of other places they could have gone, but it doesn't appear that they're interested in doing that any longer (I suspect because they're working on a new game).

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I would like to see something akin to the Netherrealm style of fighting game stories. A linear story where each "chapter" focuses on a different character.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Cantido wrote: »

Overwatch certainly has a different business model, being more in line with Diablo than HotS, HS or WoW. You buy a 60 dollar game upfront and you are guaranteed every character and map for free. They lure in micropurchases for loot boxes, but veteran players are less concerned about cosmetics.

I no longer have a reason to spend money on the game unless they pull a WoW and start selling meaty campaigns.

It is weird, for how central Overwatch is in the discussion around lootboxes, they're thrown at you so often and are so inconsequential to the game, that even now that I own Overwatch and play it on the daily, the thought never crossed my mind to try to buy them, and in fact I'm not even 100% certain how you do so. And I love custom skins and shit! Compare this to Heroes where they're much more important to the experience of the game, or Hearthstone where they essentially are the game. I'm not proud, but I've dropped money on both of those.

BloodySloth on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    With all the backstory they like developing they really should do a story based expansion. The game mechanics are solid enough they could give characters separate mini campaigns to play through.

• nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Is anyone surprised that Overwatch revenue is flattening or dropping? The game is almost 3 years old now, how many people were still actively playing Team Fortress 2 at this point in it's lifecycle (and that had the boost of user generated content and tradeable goods via Steam Marketplace)? And as far as other Blizz properties go, outside of Hearthstone getting regular influx of purchase every 3.5-4.5 months, what does Blizz have that is driving quarterly revenue that is growing? WoW is basically at where it's going to be subscription wise, is SC2/SC remaster doing much other than some sales bumps during discounts at this point? Diablo 3, I guess they could try to find more platforms to put that on, and HotS is now in PR death spiral. They're going to need Warcraft nostalgia to drive some big sales/subscription numbers this summer.

And on the Activision side, COD has been flat-ish for a while, and they don't really have anything else. I guess they got lucky with Crash/Spyro nostalgia last year, but what else can they do that with?

nusu on
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Well they are remaking crash team racing which is the best non Mario kart kart racer. But yeah other then that they don’t have anything that excites me.

Activision should pull Raven Software from CoD mappacks and spinoffs and put them back to work making interesting B games. Make a new Heretic or Singularity.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Blizzard isn't (I hope this is still true) the type of developer to just rush out a BR game to jump on the latest bandwagon. In like 4 years they will announce some BR MMO anime graphic novel hybrid that blows everyone's mind.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    It seems like all the cuts are aimed at non-dev roles - I wonder if Blizzcon is one of the things that could be on the chopping block. It's basically a massive marketing spend, and for the most part the fans only care about it because of the announcements that come with it (which recently have been disappointing).

Someone mentioned they probably make a very good amount of money on the esports aspect of Blizzcon, though I haven't seen any hard numbers to back that up.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Overwatch is a really good arena based shooter, and one of the best over-the-top arcade style shooters I've ever played. And it was utterly brilliant when it came out 2 years ago.

Unfortunately for them, the market in 2019 is asking for Battle Royale games. If Blizzard wanted to keep Overwatch relevant in 2019, they needed to have announced their own Battle Royale mode for Overwatch. Like that needed to happen 4 months ago at BlizzCon.

They have basically ceded the market to their competitors by failing to act in a timely manner. Even if Overwatch still holds up really well as an arena shooter (which it does), that's not what people are asking for right now.

They could also easily jump on the BR bandwagon anytime. I mean, hell, HotS is a dota clone and came out in 2015 when LoL has been out since 2009. If Blizzard came out with a BR game with as much polish as they are known for in 2020 then I'm betting it'll still pull in some decent money for them.

Well with them stopping development of HotS I could seem them cutting some people from that and the e-sports surrounding it.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Every year it gets harder and harder for me to justify buying the Blizzcon virtual ticket. Each year the show is slightly less and less interesting than the last. And not only was the 2018 the worst Blizzcon they have ever held, they also raised the ticket price by $10. So I spent more money for a less fulfilling experience.

Next year, if Blizzard even holds a Blizzcon at all, they will basically have to promise me that they are going to announce at least 3 brand new projects that aren't mobile games before I even consider buying the ticket.

And with them killing HotS eSports, that's actually another reason for me to not buy a ticket. HotS was the one game I tuned in for each year to watch the eSports competitions. I don't care about OWL, and I certainly don't care about Hearthstone and its stupid jokey card sets and obsession with Goblins.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Someone mentioned they probably make a very good amount of money on the esports aspect of Blizzcon, though I haven't seen any hard numbers to back that up.

My understanding is that Blizzcon used to be run at a loss but is currently profitable because of the esports.

liEt3nH.png
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

Meanwhile, Activision just gave their new executive a 15 million dollar signing bonus and he'll be making $900,000 a year with a 1.4 million dollar incentive end-of-year target bonus. Also Activision has off-shore tax havens and doesn't pay their fair share to society.

Fuck the system that allows all this but mostly fuck Activision forever.

3cl1ps3 on
    Well with them stopping development of HotS I could seem them cutting some people from that and the e-sports surrounding it.

They already did that with the previous announcement, HotS no longer has an official esports scene.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Is that a photo of people cheering the Activision logo in news of layoffs? :?

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Is that a photo of people cheering the Activision logo in news of layoffs? :?

It is, but given the news I'm choosing to see it as the arms of the undead reaching up to drag Activision to the bowels of hell.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Ugh.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I like to imagine Activision spent millions on building an elaborate stage, complete with musical performances, just to announce who doesn't have a job anymore.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Lay offs in the wake of like a 15 million signing bonus for a new executive feels like a huge fuck you. Reminds me of Tell Tale games.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

That's it. I'm done. No more games published by Activision, ever.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well they are definitely setting records for pissing off the fans.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    "materially low" financial expectations from Blizzard this year
    no major franchise releases planned for 2019 (unsurprising)

Sincerely,

The guy perfectly fine ruining countless employees' livelihoods so he can get that signing bonus.

Donnicton on
    I know businesses are hard to run and manage, but "We once again achieved record results in 2018." and a 15 million signing bonus for an executive right when layoffs hit is a hard pill to swallow

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I know businesses are hard to run and manage, but "We once again achieved record results in 2018." and a 15 million signing bonus for an executive right when layoffs hit is a hard pill to swallow

A hard pill to swallow? It's complete fucked up garbage and should be illegal.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    I'm a lifetime Blizzard fanboy, but given how they are treating their workers, I think it's time to reevaluate that position.

If Mr. New CEO had any sort of ethical/moral conscience, he would decline the signing bonus in favor of allowing workers to keep their jobs and make an effort to push for quality and restoring customer faith.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Retaliating against Blizzard seems wrong, but I don't know what other recourse I have as a consumer, since they're the only Activision products I ever purchase.

It's a two edged sword.

Sales means you are supporting the workers and the people who put in the sweat and tears to make the products we love. But abstaining from buying out of protest for the shitty behavior of the executives and hurting their bottom line is literally the only way we can let them know how we feel.

Execs don't care about downvotes on Youtube videos. They only care about results. And $money is what they gauge their success on.

How does someone conscientiously object to the top level bullshit without harming the little man at the bottom of the totem pole who's only trying to hold a job and provide for his family?

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    It's a two edged sword.

Sales means you are supporting the workers and the people who put in the sweat and tears to make the products we love. But abstaining from buying out of protest for the shitty behavior of the executives and hurting their bottom line is literally the only way we can let them know how we feel.

Execs don't care about downvotes on Youtube videos. They only care about results. And $money is what they gauge their success on.

How does someone conscientiously object to the top level bullshit without harming the little man at the bottom of the totem pole who's only trying to hold a job and provide for his family?

it's profoundly simple yet also a Sisyphean task: organize the labor

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I'm a lifetime Blizzard fanboy, but given how they are treating their workers, I think it's time to reevaluate that position.

If Mr. New CEO had any sort of ethical/moral conscience, he would decline the signing bonus in favor of allowing workers to keep their jobs and make an effort to push for quality and restoring customer faith.

There is actually a pretty high probability the new CEO does not have an ethical/moral conscience.

People with psychopathic tendencies often excel in the corporate world, politics, law firms and perhaps unsurprising to some as used car salesmen. Basically any career field that may involve seriously screwing people over.

That's not to say these people are actively looking to screw people over, just that they excel in those fields because they can screw people over and then sleep soundly at night.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    800 people

At the same time they boast about record profits.

fucking fuck

edited February 2019
    Donnicton on
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Being laid off sucks, especially if you didn't expect it. Hope the people got a decent severance package, go and take some time off, and then come back ready to find the next part of their journey, it'll probably end up being for the best.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    edited February 2019
    Blizzard: we want to improve feedback and communication between the dev team and the player community with regard to the WoW development process.

Also Blizzard:

(Lashes was another WoW Community Manager)

Donnicton on