As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MCU] Captain Marvel tickets on sale now, less than 60 days to go.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Fox still has the rights to Galactus, right?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Fox still has the rights to Galactus, right?

Yup. It's a little unclear who owns what when it comes to some characters but Galactus was in the second F4 movie they made so he must have been part of the F4 package of characters.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Speaking of which, has there been any movement in the acquisition in the last, say, half year or so?

steam_sig.png
    I think there are a few international markets that have yet to approve, but most of the big ones have said OK (given certain conditions). It'll almost certainly go ahead, to the detriment of basically everyone and everything except people who want to see certain characters show up in the MCU.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I mean, fox was looking to sell anyway. If it wasn't Disney, it would have been Comcast

steam_sig.png
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    I mean, fox was looking to sell anyway. If it wasn't Disney, it would have been Comcast

Comcast trying to run a movie studio would have been one hell of a train wreck.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I think there are a few international markets that have yet to approve, but most of the big ones have said OK (given certain conditions). It'll almost certainly go ahead, to the detriment of basically everyone and everything except people who want to see certain characters show up in the MCU.

Getting the Marvel characters is a bonus. I still say the real point of the deal is to consolidate the Star Wars rights.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

Getting the Marvel characters is a bonus. I still say the real point of the deal is to consolidate the Star Wars rights.

Well, the real point of the deal is to play Monopoly and win.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    It seems like every Fox related Marvel thing is winding down now so they seem to be planning on things finalizing before 2020.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    I dunno about that. New Mutants was presumably going to kick off a new franchise. They tried to launch F4 again only to have it spectacularly fail, but I doubt it would have been the last try. Deadpool would have cranked out more sequels.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Comcast already owns NBCUniversal. They've been running a major movie studio for over 8 years.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

Comcast already owns NBCUniversal. They've been running a major movie studio for over 8 years.

That doesn't really refute the post. Universal has been a shitshow for years now. I've not forgotten the failed Dark Universe or the terrible Harry Potter spinoffs.

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

That doesn't really refute the post. Universal has been a shitshow for years now. I've not forgotten the failed Dark Universe or the terrible Harry Potter spinoffs.

The first Fantastic Beasts movie was great and the second one wasn’t all that bad, and still made 650 million dollars worldwide.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Potter is Warner Bros. Universal has Fast and Furious, which is one of the most successful franchises in cinema right now.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So, uh. Marvel just announced four new animated series and an animated special that will air on Hulu, and holy shit:
    • M.O.D.O.K. centers around an egomaniacal supervillain with a really big head and a really little body, who struggles to maintain control of his evil organization and his demanding family. Writers Jordan Blum and Patton Oswalt will also executive produce.

• Hit-Monkey tells the tale of a wronged Japanese snow monkey, mentored by the ghost of an American assassin, as he cuts a wide swath through the Tokyo underworld in this darkly cinematic and brutally funny revenge saga. Writers Josh Gordon and Will Speck will executive produce.

• Tigra & Dazzler Show is a story about two woke superheroes and best friends, Tigra and Dazzler, as they fight for recognition among powered people who make up the eight million stories in Los Angeles. Writers Erica Rivinoja and Chelsea Handler serve as executive producers.

• Howard the Duck is trapped in a world he never made, but America’s favorite fighting fowl hopes to return home with the help of his unstoppable gal pal Beverly before the evil Dr. Bong can turn him the crispiest dish on the menu. Writers Kevin Smith and Dave Willis will also executive produce.

• The Offenders follows MODOK, Dazzler, Tigra, Hit Monkey and Howard the Duck as they are all forced to team up in order to save the world and certain parts of the universe.

So basically, the Avengers, but for Adult Swim stoners.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Didn't Hellboy fight Hit-Monkey?

Kadoken wrote: »
    Didn't Hellboy fight Hit-Monkey?

No. That was a different monkey.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    My God that sounds amazing

MODOK has always been one of those hilariously weird comic villains.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The thing that gets me isn't just that they're doing these cracked-out characters, but the fact they got crazy-talented executive producers for them all.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Hit-Monkey was a poor joke that never seemed to end for a year or two, I will never fully understand Way's Deadpool being that successful.

All of them don't sound good to me, Howard the Duck has the most potential but I see Kevin Smith's name and I already checked out.

Just do Bob Agent of Hydra and make it just like Sealab there you go I just made Marvel all the Funko Pop money and the crowning meme of the first week of November 2019.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Universal has finished ahead of Fox when it comes to studio market share every year from 2011-now, except 2016. And in that year Fox finished with 12.9% market share to Universal's 12.4%.

I'd rather not see Comcast in charge of another major studio, but they have been running one for 8 years and it has been more successful than you would think. The only studios that consistently finish ahead of them are Disney and Warner Bros.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Hit-Monkey was a poor joke that never seemed to end for a year or two, I will never fully understand Way's Deadpool being that successful.

All of them don't sound good to me, Howard the Duck has the most potential but I see Kevin Smith's name and I already checked out.

Just do Bob Agent of Hydra and make it just like Sealab there you go I just made Marvel all the Funko Pop money and the crowning meme of the first week of November 2019.

I know some people are way opposed to Kevin Smith but I've enjoyed most of his stuff and he's also written comics that have been generally well received.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    His Daredevil and Green Arrow were great, no denying that. His Spider-Man/Black Cat (outside of Dodson's art) and his Batman mini series with his buddy Walt were crap though.

And while I still enjoy Clerks thru Dogma, his filmwork has really fallen off consistently and Yoga Hosers was terrible.

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    All of those sound like a good time, to me.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    They all have potential, but Ibneed to see some in action first.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Non-comic book Marvel has really hammered home the “Hydra = Nazi” thing.

Probably too much so for them to use Bob in this day and age without some serious alterations. And even at that point, I’m not sure it’s worth the trouble.

Didn't Bob show up in the Deadpool movie as a random merc?

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »

I know some people are way opposed to Kevin Smith but I've enjoyed most of his stuff and he's also written comics that have been generally well received.

Kevin Smith has done some good Marvel stuff. His Daredevil story was one of my favorites.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    I wonder if they will get Seth Green to reprise his Voice role as Howard from GotG in the animated series.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular

Yeah, but he wasn't Bob From Hydra, he was Bob From Whatever Merc Group Ajax Was Using.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

Yeah, but he wasn't Bob From Hydra, he was Bob From Whatever Merc Group Ajax Was Using.

Bob the merc could have been Bob the ex-Hydra since a paycheck is a paycheck and his job skills aren't thattransferable. Could do a banality of evil thing, though I'm not sure that Deadpool is the place to try and pull that off.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    edited February 2019

Bob the merc could have been Bob the ex-Hydra since a paycheck is a paycheck and his job skills aren't thattransferable. Could do a banality of evil thing, though I'm not sure that Deadpool is the place to try and pull that off.

It's a decent place to act like you're about to and then crack a joke, like with interrupting Colossus's speech about what makes a hero by definitely not being a hero.

They missed the chance to make it a running gag in DP2. "Bob!? What are doing guarding the dorms on Neverland Ranch?" "Well, you killed my former employer and there's only so many jobs in the shouting and stomping industry and -" *punch* "Boring conversation anyway."

It's a quick enough bit for Bob to just show up in whatever group of disposable mooks Deadpool is killing this week.

Hevach on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Bob could be like Team Rocket or some other constant occurring villain.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Just click it: https://www.marvel.com/captainmarvel

You will not be disappointed.

Heh, this page is like 10MB of Javascript instead of 1995-era raw HTML. Would've taken about 45 minutes to download on a 1995-era 28.8 modem, on a good day.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    That just makes me wonder if there's anyone working for Marvel (or their ad agency, or whatever) who even knows how to code in raw HTML, rather than some web-authoring app. I imagine it's a skill that's joined the likes of soap-making or flint-knapping.

Commander Zoom on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

Heh, this page is like 10MB of Javascript instead of 1995-era raw HTML. Would've taken about 45 minutes to download on a 1995-era 28.8 modem, on a good day.

I did note that when that page was open in a tab my browser seemed to run pretty slow...

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »

I did note that when that page was open in a tab my browser seemed to run pretty slow...

Its streamlined for Netscape Navigator.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    A lot of old HTML stuff that we took for granted in those days (like the marquee tag) have been deprecated over the years. I doubt you could do that all in raw HTML anymore.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    A lot of old HTML stuff that we took for granted in those days (like the marquee tag) have been deprecated over the years. I doubt you could do that all in raw HTML anymore.

Raw, probably not, but I do keep an archive of old crap like that to make your eyeballs/eardrums bleed that I can drop in pretty easy via xml and CSS to emulate the classics on modern layouts.

I had lots of fun pissing colleagues off when AJAX was a thing by having asynchronous calls on a random timer so at some point in the first 5 minutes they'd be on a page "Peanut Butter Jelly Time!" would flood in at 100% volume.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • ShadowBladeShadowBlade Registered User regular
    Hey, where'd the 90s Captain Marvel site go? Fortunately peeked at it on my phone days ago, but I wanted to see it on a big screen.

This world needs a new philosophy. No more, "Could be worse..." I say SHOULD BE BETTER!
This discussion has been closed.