As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Oh it was a mastiff that I had in my victory. Where do you get that sucker? Is it just a rando thing?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    https://i.redd.it/p2e27dwgnjf21.png

Here's the full damage chart. Full body DPS is one thing, but I bet on average you're going to splash in a few headshots in there.

I think helmets tend to not have a lot of legibility in a fight, and they can really swing the outcome of a fight.

I still have no idea what helmets actually do for me in a fight.

ObiFett wrote: »

Here's the full damage chart. Full body DPS is one thing, but I bet on average you're going to splash in a few headshots in there.

I think helmets tend to not have a lot of legibility in a fight, and they can really swing the outcome of a fight.

Something to collect!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular

Reduce headshot damage, I believe.

edited February 2019
    Preacher wrote: »
    Oh it was a mastiff that I had in my victory. Where do you get that sucker? Is it just a rando thing?

Only time I've seen one was from a supply drop.
    Endaro wrote: »

Reduce headshot damage, I believe.

And the higher rarity ones reduce headshot damage further?

edit: nvm, quick search found me this-

Common
    30% Headshot Damage Reduction

Rare
    40% Headshot Damage Reduction

Epic
    50% Headshot Damage Reduction

Legendary
    50% Headshot Damage Reduction, Reduces Tactical and Ultimate Ability Recharge Times.

ObiFett on
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Mastiff and Kraber only come from supply drops.

edited February 2019
    Whoa, did you guys know that if you have a legendary body shield that finishers completely recharge the shields?!

edit: waaa? And apparently Legendary backpacks "Reduce the time health and shield consumables require by half"!!

ObiFett on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    ...Oh so the Wingman has a x2 headshot modifier. That explains a lot.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Finally broke down and installed Origin to play this - Glad that I did. It's considerably more polished than any other BR I've ever seen, and I really dig the quality of life mechanics.

Unfortunately, despite having experience with the BR genre, I suck probably harder than anyone else playing the game.

Honestly, over the past three days, it's been the same story: Spend 5-15 minutes looting and setting up a good position with my squad, being tactical in our movement, ensuring we're all kitted out - And then getting utterly ranched inside of 10 seconds. It doesn't matter if I'm packing level three armor and a Peacekeeper with the choke mod, with a Wingman at my hip. I've even had the high ground and the element of surprise on an opponent, and been the one to initiate a fight. I just get dissolved in a matter of moments. Still haven't even survived a single engagement after three days.

It's a bit weird to me, seeing as I still play a lot of twitch gameplay FPS for fun and do decently enough there. Something about Apex is just, nope, I suck and can't do anything about it. I'm always the first corpse in a fight.

Still a fun and gorgeous game, though. The fact that I'm still going back to it, even though my experience is that I can't effectively play it, is a testament to how well made the game feels.

If you find you're almost always just playing Skyrim (picking up everything) before losing a gun fight... Start dropping into the hot combat zones immediately, or go looking for fights more often. You need to just practice the fights and the plays to get comfortable with them.

Also...playing aggressive midgame and tracking folks also helps you late game.

Since by the time you get to most areas after your initial drop they'll probably already be cleaned out so your best chance of getting good items is from other players.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Whoa, did you guys know that if you have a legendary body shield that finishers completely recharge the shields?!

edit: waaa? And apparently Legendary backpacks "Reduce the time health and shield consumables require by half"!!

There are different kinds of legendaries that give you special abilities. I had a yellow shield that gave me *1* self res from down. I wish I had known it was just one when I tested it out, lol

The helmet reduces the charge time of your tactical and ult.

There are different kinds of legendaries that give you special abilities. I had a yellow shield that gave me *1* self res from down. I wish I had known it was just one when I tested it out, lol

Apparently all the yellow shields give a self rez. So keep that in mind if you see someone flash a yellow knockdown shield at ya.

• EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    So any beginner newb moron tips? Like who should I choose to not fuck up a team meta?

There is no team meta, though there are some small synergies. As of right now at least, it's all about finding out which character's kit you prefer and getting used to how to use that kit in a given scenario.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    What do people think is the furthest you can drop when you're good? In my experience, 1000 is the furthest distance I can pull off reliably, and I need to not have too much altitude change.

What is this I don't even.
  • ZekZek Registered User regular

Apparently all the yellow shields give a self rez. So keep that in mind if you see someone flash a yellow knockdown shield at ya.

I think each item type has just the one legendary effect. For guns you've got the unique legendary shotgun and sniper, and I think other guns can roll legendary which just gives them a full set of the best attachments.

I finally realized last night that the reason I was undershooting supply ships that seemed within range somewhat often was because I was forgetting to take into account the fact that they are above ground level.

Hmm...I'm starting to get used to how the guns work in this game.

That said I still have instances where I swear my crosshairs are on people and I miss every shot.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    What do people think is the furthest you can drop when you're good? In my experience, 1000 is the furthest distance I can pull off reliably, and I need to not have too much altitude change.

yeah thousand is doable reliably. everything above.. iffy

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Second win! And I even fully contributed with multiple kills and most damage.

Feels great, I think I can now use the wingman relatively reliably!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    The mozambique is such a meme. Random people keep trying to convince me, and especially my newly joined friend it's the best gun in the game, going as far as equipping one themselves

I'VE SEEN YOU CHANGE IT AFTERWARDS

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    The mozambique is such a meme. Random people keep trying to convince me, and especially my newly joined friend it's the best gun in the game, going as far as equipping one themselves

I think I got a down with one once when I literally had nothing else. So totes BIS.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

Any thing it does the Peacekeeper does better.

jungleroomx on

Any thing it does the Peacekeeper does better.

Anything it does, melee does better!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    The Mozambique is the best gun when it's the only one you can pick up before fighting

...like if it had 6 shots instead of 3 the whole shotgun pistol thing would make sense...as is...like I'm not sure what you're supposed to do with it.

edited February 2019
    The Mozambique, P202, and RE-45 Auto are all things I'd call "not real guns" but they're all better than melee. Heck, the Mozambique has the best burst DPS of any of the shotguns outside of the mastiff, there's scenarios where someone with mozambique faces off against someone with either of the other types of shotgun where both players have the same health and hit all their shots optimally and the Mozambique comes out on top.

cB557 on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I like the P2020 well enough, I've gotten some nice plink knockdowns with it. Almost like it better than the light SMGs because it forces me to spray less and aim more, haha.

...I wouldn't put the RE-45 in the same category as those two.

It can shred in certain situations and can make a solid backup.

Dragkonias wrote: »
    ...I wouldn't put the RE-45 in the same category as those two.

It can shred in certain situations and can make a solid backup.
    The RE-45 has worse DPS than every light ammo weapon that's not the P202 or the G7 (and it only beats out the G7 in body shot DPS), worse ammo efficiency than every light ammo weapon, and while I'm not certain whether or not it has the worst range, its range is very bad. It doesn't make up for this with high alpha, or sustained DPS, or significantly lower recoil. It's only worth using if the only other options for the slot are a P202 or Mozambique.

edited February 2019
    DPS is a cool metric but its also an ideal and doesn't paint the entire picture of how a gun will perform in a real firefight.

Like you said...the Mozambique has pretty impressive DPS and is almost considered universally the worst gun in the game.

I'm not saying there aren't better options but the gun is serviceable when used in its correct range. Which I wouldn't say for the other two.

Dragkonias on
    DPS is a cool metric but its also an ideal and doesn't paint the entire picture of how a gun will perform in a real firefight.

Like you said...the Mozambique has pretty impressive DPS and is almost considered universally the worst gun in the game.

I'm not saying there aren't better options but the gun is serviceable when used in its correct range. Which I wouldn't say for the other two.
    Every single gun with the same role as the RE-45 does the job better in every way, which puts it in the same category as the other two to me. I think you oversell the RE-45 in comparison to the other two, anyway. The RE-45 will drop someone with white shields if you hit every shot in the mag, yes, but the Mozambique will do it faster with better alpha, albiet at a closer range. The P202 won't break white shields in one mag, but it'll do it from a safer range, reload faster, and it can drop that person without shields from farther away than the 45.

edited February 2019
    You're still arguing ideal conditions which I said doesn't paint the entire picture.

Either way, this isn't really something I care to argue that much so I'll just leave it at that.

Dragkonias on
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    The RE-45 is a serviceable pistol backup, but the biggest issue is it pulls hard to the side. It's really hard to use it as a close-mid range shredder because its recoil is like an LMG

I ate an engineer
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I would 100% prefer the RE-45 over the Mozambique in an early fight because a) landing all shots on a clip isn't guaranteed so paper DPS means very little sometimes and b) sometimes blasting fire at someone is more effective at getting them to take cover and run than it is taking shots with a slower gun

Also the Mozambique just feels like shit to use

Maybe there are people out there who can get optimal performance out of it because they have the precision of a ballroid but I'm not one of them and I have regretted using the Mozambique in every situation I've been forced to pick it up

Pistols are still the most common gun you'll find in zones and while I might take an alternator or an R-99 if I find one of those over the re-45, I will always take the re-45 over the mozambique

Orphane on
    Anyway...is it just me or do ARs seem the least likely to spawn of the normal weapons?

Like Shotguns, SMGs, Pistols, even Snipers I run across a bunch every round.

But I can go entire games without seeing a single R-301 or Flatline.

Actually scratch that...I see a bunch of Hemlocks but the 301 and Flatline are pretty rare.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Anyway...is it just me or do ARs seem the least likely to spawn of the normal weapons?

Like Shotguns, SMGs, Pistols, even Snipers I run across a bunch every round.

But I can go entire games without seeing a single R-301 or Flatline.

Actually scratch that...I see a bunch of Hemlocks but the 301 and Flatline are pretty rare.

I feel like shotguns (my preferred loadout!) are the ones I see the least.

Give me a Peacekeeper and a Wingman and I'm a happy Wraith.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    This tournament is pure adrenaline. I cant wait to see how the actual "eSports" version of it plays out.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Wow, Overwatch needs to get in on this robust pinging goodness. I play Overwatch for its high demands for communication and teamwork, and while I would feel something is lost in players relying more on pinging instead of their personal communication skills...far more would be gained.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    The pinging system is amazing. Especially for someone like me where the second thing I immediately turn off in a game after v-sync is voice chat.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Wow, Overwatch needs to get in on this robust pinging goodness. I play Overwatch for its high demands for communication and teamwork, and while I would feel something is lost in players relying more on pinging instead of their personal communication skills...far more would be gained.

Maybe but three-player squads seem to be a good number for pinging. The amount that'd come from six players could get a bit obnoxious with their potential frequency.