As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Games - Totally Accurate Battle Sim (EA) out today!

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    bobby kotick is personally going to get over sixty million dollars from stock dividends

Do you have a source on that? I'd like to say it sounds a little high but fucked if I know any more

according to this he has 175 million shares in Activision

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-businessmen/bobby-kotick-net-worth/

$0.37 per share, according to the balance sheet posted above, is 64 million and change

maybe that's not how dividends work but it sure seems like it!

I suppose after taxes it will be more like 55 million, which, lul

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Tabarnak

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    bobby kotick is personally going to get over sixty million dollars from stock dividends

Do you have a source on that? I'd like to say it sounds a little high but fucked if I know any more

$0.37 per share, according to the balance sheet posted above, is 64 million and change

that's his total stock value

dividends are a portion of the companies net income divided among stockholders based on share percentage

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    That is what Shorty posted, dividends. ATVI is like 42 bucks a share for purchase.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

dividends are a portion of the companies net income divided among stockholders based on share percentage

wouldn't his stock value be the stock price X number of stocks owned, and therefore more like seven billion

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I needed a pre-sleepy time game to play so I picked up endless legend again, gonna be the dusty ghosts this time

Are any of the dlc factions worth grabbing?

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg

wouldn't his stock value be the stock price X number of stocks owned, and therefore more like seven billion

ohhh, I misunderstood

you posted the dividend value

jesus burn it all down

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    They raised their dividend 9% so he gave himself an additional ~6 mil for all his hard work fucking over 800 people.

I was legit hoping that Shorty was somehow mistaken and the world wasn't that fucked

I was legit hoping that Shorty was somehow mistaken and the world wasn't that fucked

jokes on you

hello, new sig

edited February 2019
    PiptheFair on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Well at least the industry is trying to absorb the influx of unemployed.

Waypoint's Patrick Klepek minces no words.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I needed a pre-sleepy time game to play so I picked up endless legend again, gonna be the dusty ghosts this time

Are any of the dlc factions worth grabbing?

Tempest is a whole lot of fun, and naval combat opens up the world in a meaningful way. It also includes a whole new set of minor faction quests to take over ancient ocean platforms, which I enjoyed.

I also really enjoyed Inferno. The Kapuku thrive on volcanic terrain that's useless to all other factions, and have the ability to covert regular terrain into volcanic terrain, which makes domination matches really satisfying. Not only are you conquering everybody's lands, you're salting their fields. And you fucking love salt.

Shifters was more of a mixed bag. I generally liked playing as the Allayi and their diplomatic priorities make them a fun addition to any match, but I found the process of hoovering up a bunch of randomly-placed Pearls every winter kind of boring. And the benefits you get from Pearls are too useful to ignore, but not useful enough to be really interesting.

You can probably miss Shadows. I didn't think the espionage was terribly interesting, and the Forsaken are completely broken in favor of the player when they show up in your game. They'll trade you basically everything they own for any crappy old tech you throw their way.

I haven't yet played the newest expansion.

GDdCWMm.jpg

hello, new sig

I wish I could be mad but that's a good sig

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    The elite should live their lives in fear

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    The elite should live their lives in fear
    a82.png

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    So I'm playing through Mass Effect 2 for the first time, still early on and a friend of mine mentioned what happens further down the renegade path. I guess i'll spoil it in case I'm not the only person playing this for the first time in 2019.
    They mentioned and I looked up what renegade scars look like, and to me they look real bad. I don't have any context for how they happen but I thought renegade path was more about being a dick to people, not that i'm being corrupted by an evil force like in KOTOR.

Then I went to the citadel gift shop and loudly accused the lady working the counter of being classist and accusing me of being too poor to shop there just to get her employee discount and decided they're probably justified.

As someone about to get into ME2 for the first time, thanks for doing that!

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    So I'm playing through Mass Effect 2 for the first time, still early on and a friend of mine mentioned what happens further down the renegade path. I guess i'll spoil it in case I'm not the only person playing this for the first time in 2019.
    They mentioned and I looked up what renegade scars look like, and to me they look real bad. I don't have any context for how they happen but I thought renegade path was more about being a dick to people, not that i'm being corrupted by an evil force like in KOTOR.

Then I went to the citadel gift shop and loudly accused the lady working the counter of being classist and accusing me of being too poor to shop there just to get her employee discount and decided they're probably justified.

iirc, the justification
    had something to do with the methods used to bring Shepard back. I can't quite place the reasoning at the moment.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

iirc, the justification
    had something to do with the methods used to bring Shepard back. I can't quite place the reasoning at the moment.

also if it helps (mass effect 2 renegade related spoilers)
    You get an option to fix them later so you aren't stuck with them if you don't like them

2x39jD4.jpg
  • VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    I think some people were worrying about Sunless Skies being a flop based on player counts listed on Steam.

Looks like that is not the case!

failbettergames.com/the-sunless-skies-launch-and-future-plans/

Future plans are already set to work on two parts I was hoping would be improved. Adding more to do while traveling and more branching choices.

steam_sig.png
    Pretty sure it had a wildly successful kickstarter too. The actual sales were gravy.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure it had a wildly successful kickstarter too. The actual sales were gravy.

Yeah holy cow, they made nearly 4x of their original goal on kickstarter. Assuming they didn't just scale up their scope to spend every last penny, that's a huge safety net to take you through the first few months after launch all by itself.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I keep having this frustrating thing with Sunless Skies, where I will hear valid criticisms of the game and be like "UGH you just don't GET IT."

I am normally much more measured about people criticizing a thing I like.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Rob and Austin made Sunless Skies sound pretty dang fantastic on the latest Waypoint, so now I’m extremely wary that I’m going to hate it.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

iirc, the justification
    The short of it is that a happier/good Shepard is in a better physical/mental state to heal the scarring around the implants. Angry/bad Shepard does not.

sig.gif
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I keep having this frustrating thing with Sunless Skies, where I will hear valid criticisms of the game and be like "UGH you just don't GET IT."

I am normally much more measured about people criticizing a thing I like.

welcome to

the dota effect (tm)

icGJy2C.png
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Everyone’s heard the anecdote that most CEOs test positive for being psychopaths.

Here’s proof positive that it’s the case though.

I had to fire someone once. A single person and it was one of the most heartbreaking things I ever had to do.

To let 800 people go AND accept enough money in bonuses that you could just pay them yourself means your stone cold dead inside.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    You don't need to add things to do while traveling just make the fucking trains faster God damn it. I will give them credit that it took me at least an hour to say "Oh my God I don't want to do this" and refund it when in Sunless Seas I said that after 5 minutes

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    While I’m angered at Activision, I’m not surprised. Bobby has been a money grubbing asshole for as long as I can remember.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    This is how the machine is designed to operate

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Shit like what was happening with Activision/Blizz is why I nope'd out of the games industry on the ground floor.

It's an industry that is fucking terrible to its employees

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Everyone’s heard the anecdote that most CEOs test positive for being psychopaths.

Here’s proof positive that it’s the case though.

I had to fire someone once. A single person and it was one of the most heartbreaking things I ever had to do.

To let 800 people go AND accept enough money in bonuses that you could just pay them yourself means your stone cold dead inside.
    At 800 people though, it's probably little more than sending off an e-mail. I really doubt any one had to sit down 800 times to fire that group of people. And I'm sure that Kotick doesn't know most, if not all of the people that were fired.

Not saying it still isn't bad, but it doesn't have to be as much of a personal investment as you'd think.

sig.gif
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    You fire one person, it is a tragedy. You fire 800, it is a statistic.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    the good news is that the AAA game cycle is likely facing an imminent collapse because the development cycle combined with costs and this sort of behavior isn't fucking sustainable

I'm very concerned about how many small studios might get pulled into the meteor crash though.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

Yeah holy cow, they made nearly 4x of their original goal on kickstarter. Assuming they didn't just scale up their scope to spend every last penny, that's a huge safety net to take you through the first few months after launch all by itself.

They did actually scale up their scope quite a bit, and had to lay some employees off when the game first went into Early Access a year or two ago as a result, because it sounds like they spent expecting to have the same level of early access cash infusion that they got from Seas.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-02-07-sunless-skies-sales-lead-to-failbetter-games-layoffs

I'm not Mister Business Master Dude, but I feel like counting on repeating Seas' performance was kind of a bad premise. I love Sunless Seas but it's a very marmite game. A ton of people picked it up; a ton of people also put it back down, confused or bored or just frustrated by it.

I'm really glad to hear that Skies' actual full release has done well, though. Failbetter seems like a good company and I want them to do well.

rRwz9.gif
    edited February 2019
    THQ is at it again and just ate Warhorse Studios (Dev's behind Kingston Come: Deliverance) If you don't know them, they're the ones who touted "historical accuracy" as to why their game lacked diversity - a game that had shit like healing potions.

Also, apparently Darksiders 3 met their expectations, which is surprising to me given that games reception, but it's refreshing to see a company have (I'm assuming) realistic expectations for once.

Undead Scottsman on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    THQ is at it again and just ate Warhorse Studios (Dev's behind Kingston Come: Deliverance) If you don't know them, they're the ones who touted "historical accuracy" as to why their game lacked diversity - a game that had shit like healing potions.

Also, apparently Darksiders 3 met their expectations, which is surprising to me given that games reception, but it's refreshing to see a company have (I'm assuming) realistic expectations for once.

Good, I want to see how the story ends. But I bet we're going to get another Horseman side story instead

This discussion has been closed.